HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why so much fuss about Jeff Finger?

Old
07-04-2008, 08:46 PM
frag2

vCash: 500
Finger's a great player...that is if you consider the entire Leaf's D.

But at least the Eastern media will have a blast with his name and when he makes hits

"OMG, so and so got FINGER'd!!"

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:08 PM
MsWoof

It's a combination of things. The Leafs have been a huge joke for years, and when you live in Toronto and can't stand the Leafs, it's even funnier when something like this happens and all of Leafs Nation either gets ready to jump off a bridge or somehow drinks the cool aid and agrees with management that it's not such a bad deal.

Finger will be 29 in December. He's too old to even be a late bloomer. He hasn't hit the 100 game mark as an NHLer, and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for making bad plays.

On Free Agent Frenzy day, even media people from Colorado couldn't wrap their heads around why he got so much money. One guy from Colorado was on a Toronto sports radio station and was just shocked.

The guy was making the league minimum and somehow, someone totally fleeced Fletcher and Wilson. Finger's agent told them that a number of teams were after Finger and apparently Joel Quenneville told Fletcher that Finger was an excellent player. I believe Quenneville was also the coach who benched finger for half of Colorado's playoff games.

On top of that, Wilson then gave erroneous information about Finger's ice time to the media. There is a link in the Jeff Finger thread on the free agent day HF board that shows just how little time Finger had on the ice vs. Joe Thorton compared to what Wilson said. It really seems like Wilson was mixing up Finger with a different defenceman.

I think the Leafs guys (Wilson and/or Fletcher) didn't do their homework and this guy is going to end up being the Bryan McCabe of the next couple of years. I've never heard of him before this all came about and I do watch a lot of hockey although more from the eastern conference than the west. From all accounts, Finger is a 5th or 6th pairing defenceman and is getting paid way more than he should be. He won the lottery!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:16 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Hockey Mecca, etc.

Anyone who is a Leaf gets 100x more attention than anyone else in the league.

It's kind of why no one is really critcizing the Boyle* deal, but if it was McCabe or Kubina in replace of him San Jose would be totally lambasted (look it up, it's a real word).

*6 years @ $6.67M and can't play defence
Well, I live in Toronto and this is not a hockey Mecca. A large group of people cheer blindly for a team that has done nothing for them for over 40 years. Almost as large is the amount of media that covers them.

The city does not support the Marlies even though they are the Leafs' farm team, and didn't support St. Mike's in the OHL. They didn't support the Marlies in the OHA years ago either. Toronto is a city predominantly made up of Leafs faithful with a lot of people who hate the Leafs almost as much as they love another NHL team.

Old
07-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's a combination of things. The Leafs have been a huge joke for years, and when you live in Toronto and can't stand the Leafs, it's even funnier when something like this happens and all of Leafs Nation either gets ready to jump off a bridge or somehow drinks the cool aid and agrees with management that it's not such a bad deal.

Finger will be 29 in December. He's too old to even be a late bloomer. He hasn't hit the 100 game mark as an NHLer, and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for making bad plays.

On Free Agent Frenzy day, even media people from Colorado couldn't wrap their heads around why he got so much money. One guy from Colorado was on a Toronto sports radio station and was just shocked.

The guy was making the league minimum and somehow, someone totally fleeced Fletcher and Wilson. Finger's agent told them that a number of teams were after Finger and apparently Joel Quenneville told Fletcher that Finger was an excellent player. I believe Quenneville was also the coach who benched finger for half of Colorado's playoff games.

On top of that, Wilson then gave erroneous information about Finger's ice time to the media. There is a link in the Jeff Finger thread on the free agent day HF board that shows just how little time Finger had on the ice vs. Joe Thorton compared to what Wilson said. It really seems like Wilson was mixing up Finger with a different defenceman.

I think the Leafs guys (Wilson and/or Fletcher) didn't do their homework and this guy is going to end up being the Bryan McCabe of the next couple of years. I've never heard of him before this all came about and I do watch a lot of hockey although more from the eastern conference than the west. From all accounts, Finger is a 5th or 6th pairing defenceman and is getting paid way more than he should be. He won the lottery!
You would think that an NHL GM would have to have a clue about every NHL player.

Finger was benched in the playoffs for one bone-headed play he made in the Minnesota series. But more than being benched it was a situation where someone had to be the odd-man out out of Foote, Hannan, Liles, Leopold, Sauer, Salei, and himself. Those are all quality d-men, who would all be top 4 on most NHL teams. Personally I think Sauer should have been the one scratched. In the regular season he was arguably our best d-man , our most physical and was one of the few that wasn't afraid to shoot the puck (he scored 8 goals, not bad for a D-man).

I know age is an issue, and that before this season he hadn't done much. But he was the breakout player of the year for us and I don't see why he would regress. If he continues to play like he did last season, I don't think Leafs fans will be disappointed.

Overpayment, most likely. Quality defenseman, yes.
I think the thing that I find most annoying about this whole ordeal is that it goes to show how little Eastern Conference fans (and apparently GM's) know about the West.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:09 PM
MsWoof

Well, I'm sure the reason most of us don't know a lot about the west is due to the time difference. I have Centre Ice and the OHL action pak so I see a ton of hockey. I follow Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary in the west but their games start between 9 and 10:30 and end between midnight and 1:30 am. You have to sleep sometime!

If Finger had been signed for 1 million, nobody would be talking much about this deal. That's really the bottom line in this whole thing.

Old
07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
wahoyaho

vCash: 1058
Who? :p jk

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Hook

Why the fuss about Finger?

1) The Leafs, and mainly JFJ, had a history of giving out bad contracts (McCabe, Tucker, Kubina [I think Kubina is below market value right now]).

2) It's the Toronto media. They blow everything out of proportion.

3) He was one of the first marginal defenseman signed that was considered an overpayment, when in reality every defenseman of his caliber was overpaid and it gets to the point where it can't be considered an overpayment because it becomes market value.

4) His last name is Finger. Easy to make fun of.

If his name was Jeff Smith, and the Nashville Predators signed him for the same contract, no one would have even noticed the signing. We both know it's true.

I don't know why people think the Finger deal is worse than the Commodore deal.

Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
And how many Avs games have you watched? Leafs and Avs are the two teams I watch the most, and trust me Finger is better than Kubina.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
At the end of the season we'll see who is better, k? I'd be willing to eat my words if Kubina outplays Finger.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:07 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
The "Fletchered Got Fingered" or the Leafs gave the finger jokes and all the body part jokes are so nauseating at this point. Actually, they were nauseating and so obvious and unoriginal before the first "clever" person on these boards used them. Having to read them over and over again is worse than the actual signing itself.
Now you know how we feel when Bruins fans say we are divers and soft. Komi is a wuss etc...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:37 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Finger's a great player...that is if you consider the entire Leaf's D.
What does this even mean?

Finger would be top pairing on the Oilers defence, then again so would Hall Gill.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:41 AM
The Big Swede

People need to stop complaining

He could pan out to be very good as hes seems to be or will be a very good 2 way d-man

Personally,I love the signing when,its the amount of money that kinds of drives me nuts.Hes doesn't seem to be worth 3.5 a season but lets wait and see what he turns out to be.

And like someone else said,It this was Nashville nobody would care but since its Toronto everyone is paying attention at every move the Leafs make and then criticize it.I'm also not only talking about Leaf fan criticizing the signings...

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:54 AM
punchdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Now you know how we feel when Bruins fans say we are divers and soft. Komi is a wuss etc...
Well...ah forget it.

punchdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Cake or Death

Finger gets the puck from Foote

It's sad that an announcer won't get to say that any more.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Celestial Black

Because he is a nobody with a somebody contract.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:29 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
People need to stop complaining

He could pan out to be very good as hes seems to be or will be a very good 2 way d-man

Personally,I love the signing when,its the amount of money that kinds of drives me nuts.Hes doesn't seem to be worth 3.5 a season but lets wait and see what he turns out to be.

And like someone else said,It this was Nashville nobody would care but since its Toronto everyone is paying attention at every move the Leafs make and then criticize it.I'm also not only talking about Leaf fan criticizing the signings...
Who's complaining? This has been the funniest thing to happen in ages! The only ones complaining are some Leafs fans, those of us who cheer for other teams have had the biggest laugh over this huge overpayment.

And you're right, if it had happened to Nashville, it wouldn't have been as funny. The thing is, nobody else overpaid like this. There were a lot of cases, such as Redden, where players got more money than they're worth, but he is a vet and a lot of people have seen him play very well. It hasn't happened in the last 2 seasons, but it could happen again. Finger hasn't proven a single thing and he's hit paydirt. He is really shocked with what he got and he should be.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:57 AM
boredmale

I think because most of us haven't ever heard who finger is. I am curious what other offers Finger got that the leafs felt the need to give him that much cash.

When Eklund rated him #20 on his list of top 37 free agents, i figured he might be lucky to get a 2 year deal for like 3M

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Kamina
Amok

Oh for God's sake. Isn't it obvious?

Jeff Finger:
28 years old, turning 29 this year
94 games played
22 points
Scratched for half of Colorado's playoff run.

Not to mention that he's being paid more than many defenceman who are much better than he is and are younger.

Massive overpayment.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
And how many Avs games have you watched? Leafs and Avs are the two teams I watch the most, and trust me Finger is better than Kubina.

If Finger is better than Kubina than his contract is a steal, and not the current running joke of the hockey world.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Mizral

Quote:
OK, so who will it be? Kaberle + ?. Last I heard McCabe wasn't coming back.

And Finger is a lot better than Kubina.
Think it's safe to say I've seen Finger play a bit more than most of you Eastern fans, and if you think he's better than Kubina you are sadly mistaken.

He's not even as good as Hal Gill. He's a decent #5/6 guy with some offensive upside. I'd be shocked if he plays more than 18 minutes a night in Toronto.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Caseman

People need to stop poking fun at his name.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:25 PM
VelvetJones

Never heard of the guy.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:27 PM
freakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
He was a healthy scratch in 5 of 10 playoff games.
well the good news is he's not injured.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Jeff Finger will be making more money than Nik Kronwall for the next 4 years. This is an example of why the Leafs are so desperate to raid the Red Wings' front office for Holland, Nill, Bowman, or whoever they can pry away.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:29 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
People need to stop poking fun at his name.
Thanks for pointing that out.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote