HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why so much fuss about Jeff Finger?

Old
07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
VelvetJones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Jeff Finger will be making more money than Nik Kronwall for the next 4 years. This is an example of why the Leafs are so desperate to raid the Red Wings' front office for Holland, Nill, Bowman, or whoever they can pry away.
Thats BS, Bowman was never interested in the job

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:38 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Jeff Finger will be making more money than Nik Kronwall for the next 4 years. This is an example of why the Leafs are so desperate to raid the Red Wings' front office for Holland, Nill, Bowman, or whoever they can pry away.
Its also an example of how the cap does nothing for parity (which is what is were intended to do).

Bad teams like the Leafs have to pay out the ass to get anybody to play for them while good teams are given discounts from players who (rightfully) want to win.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Sensfanman

Why?

1) Funny name. Finger is easy to make jokes with (no matter how lame).

2) It appears to be a bad contract at first glance. Who knows, maybe he'll be great, but let's be honest, it's not looking good

3) It's the leafs...a supposed rebuilding team trading away picks and signing random players for big money...especially after the McCabe fiasco. They also get more attention as a top 3 fan base team.

Sums it up I think.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:51 PM
mooseOAK*

The Sharks gave Matt Carle the same contract last season and nary a boo about it. Funny how things go around here.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:29 PM
GJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
The Sharks gave Matt Carle the same contract last season and nary a boo about it. Funny how things go around here.
Totally different.

Matt Carle was a rookie out of college (6 years younger than Finger or so?) and put up 42 points in his rookie year. It made sense to lock him up long-term.

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

This contract may be a bargain few years from now. But most likely Fletcher got fingered with this one.

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Jeff Finger's the kind of underdog success story we should all be applauding: played for a relatively minor D1 school, started his pro career in the ECHL, looked like he'd be a permanent AHL-er, got a shot with the Avs and made the most of it, and parlayed that into this signing. I congratulate the man, and sincerely hope he does well with the Leafs.

Yet, in a league and era where unwarranted contracts have become commonplace, Jeff Finger has almost instantly become the personification of the term "ovepayment".

I'm not a big fan of Cliff Fletcher or Ron Wilson, but I'll make the crazy assumption they're far better judges of hockey talent and value than 99.9% of sports writers, HFB posters, and other hangers-on.

ToursLepantoVienna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Apples/oranges

Everyone knows that if Kronwall was a UFA that he'd get about $6M over eight years.

Sebastien Centomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.
Yeah, I totally nailed it.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:19 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
Jeff Finger's the kind of underdog success story we should all be applauding: played for a relatively minor D1 school, started his pro career in the ECHL, looked like he'd be a permanent AHL-er, got a shot with the Avs and made the most of it, and parlayed that into this signing. I congratulate the man, and sincerely hope he does well with the Leafs.

Yet, in a league and era where unwarranted contracts have become commonplace, Jeff Finger has almost instantly become the personification of the term "ovepayment".

I'm not a big fan of Cliff Fletcher or Ron Wilson, but I'll make the crazy assumption they're far better judges of hockey talent and value than 99.9% of sports writers, HFB posters, and other hangers-on.

It doesn't change the fact that Fletcher was competing with himself to pay Finger 3.5 Mil. It's too bad TSN/ESPN can't ask Fletch who else was willing to pay a guy with 94 career games that much money. Why would he pay that much to get a guy with 24 points to his name? What was the point of wasting all that money?

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Covenant

Let's get serious! Fletcher just never said let's give this guy 14 mil because we are charitable. There were other suitors for this guy and the market for him established the price.

Also, why aren't all the writers and armchair GM's on this board applying for the vacant GM job in TO. Obviously you have more knowledge than a guy who won a Stanley Cup and always had highly competitive teams. You could then fire the coach who has a history of taking young teams and turning them into contenders.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
It doesn't change the fact that Fletcher was competing with himself to pay Finger 3.5 Mil. It's too bad TSN/ESPN can't ask Fletch who else was willing to pay a guy with 94 career games that much money. Why would he pay that much to get a guy with 24 points to his name? What was the point of wasting all that money?
You're certain no other team was interested? Please prove that.

Shouldn't we wait until, gee, I don't know, Finger has played a single game for the Leafs before we dismiss his contract as a waste of money? Finger might turn out to be a total bust, but this rush to judgment is ridiculous.

How many games did you watch him play last year? Ron Wilson coached a conference rival. On that basis alone, I'm willing to give Finger the benefit of the doubt until we're well into next season.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Hawker14

Jeff Finger=Scott Fraser ??

Quote:
Fraser is not a household name, and there's a good reason for that. Following a season in which he had 23 points in 29 games, this "late bloomer" was signed to a three-year contract worth $4 million in the summer of 1999. Surprise, surprise, it was Glen Sather and the Rangers who signed him. He played 28 games for the Rangers before being sent to the AHL. He never played another NHL game.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:32 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:

Shouldn't we wait until, gee, I don't know, Finger has played a single game for the Leafs before we dismiss his contract as a waste of money? Finger might turn out to be a total bust, but this rush to judgment is ridiculous.

How many games did you watch him play last year? Ron Wilson coached a conference rival. On that basis alone, I'm willing to give Finger the benefit of the doubt until we're well into next season.
Enough to drive his price to $3.5 Million? Come on, try and find another guy who played 94 games and got that much money this year or the year before. It's just not common, especially for a guy Finger's age. His contract is a waste because it isn't good cap managment. Finger has done nothing to prove he's worth that kind of money and if somebody is willing to pay him that much they're overpaying big time. If a whole list of teams were willing to pay him that much, fine. But look at how much someone like Bryce Salvador got: $2.9 Million and he's played 455 career games as solid 2nd pairing defenseman. How does a guy with very little experience in spite of his age garner so much money? It's be like paying Jamal Mayers that much. Sure, he has show some ability and people would like him on their team but nobody's going to be $3 Million for him.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Hockey Mecca, etc.

Anyone who is a Leaf gets 100x more attention than anyone else in the league.

It's kind of why no one is really critcizing the Boyle* deal, but if it was McCabe or Kubina in replace of him San Jose would be totally lambasted (look it up, it's a real word).

*6 years @ $6.67M and can't play defence
LOL McCabe and Kubina couldn't hold Boyle's Jock.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
It might have been overpayment for him, but he is a solid defenseman, which these days do not come cheap. Yet it seems like most people are just making fun of this signing, or saying things like "Who on earth is Jeff Finger?"

I think this just goes to show how ignorant a lot of fans are about teams in the opposite conference from where their team plays in.

I think people should inform themselves about the player before making outlandish statements.

He was one of the only (sometimes the only) physical defenseman for the Avs last year, and I'll miss him, but thankfully we have pretty good depth on D.
Jeff! Is that you???

hossua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Enough to drive his price to $3.5 Million? Come on, try and find another guy who played 94 games and got that much money this year or the year before. It's just not common, especially for a guy Finger's age. His contract is a waste because it isn't good cap managment. Finger has done nothing to prove he's worth that kind of money and if somebody is willing to pay him that much they're overpaying big time. If a whole list of teams were willing to pay him that much, fine. But look at how much someone like Bryce Salvador got: $2.9 Million and he's played 455 career games as solid 2nd pairing defenseman. How does a guy with very little experience in spite of his age garner so much money? It's be like paying Jamal Mayers that much. Sure, he has show some ability and people would like him on their team but nobody's going to be $3 Million for him.
You didn't answer a single question of mine. I'll give you another shot.

To reiterate, I'm perfectly willing to give Jeff Finger, and Fletcher and Wilson, the benefit of the doubt until he proves on the ice in a Leafs' jersey that his contract is the waste of money you insist it is, based apparently solely on your belief that someone his age with only 94 NHL games played couldn't possibly be worth what the Leafs are willing to pay him.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:54 PM
nopan
we're here

Send a message via Skype™ to nopan
Vote for Finger 2009?

nopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:24 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
LOL McCabe and Kubina couldn't hold Boyle's Jock.
I realize you're happy that your team did something during the free agency period, but believe me that won't last long.

Does San Jose even get regularly televised Sharks games? I doubt you've even seen Tampa or Boyle play.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:26 PM
GaryU

$14m for who???????????

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:37 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I realize you're happy that your team did something during the free agency period, but believe me that won't last long.
You suggest that the acquisitions of Boyle, Lukowich, and Blake will not improve the Sharks' Cup fortunes. Did I get that right?

I dispute that, but will grant that the observation of a Leafs' fan on another team's Cup chances is merited by coming from the perspective of a disinterested party.

Old
07-05-2008, 06:46 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
You suggest that the acquisitions of Boyle, Lukowich, and Blake will not improve the Sharks' Cup fortunes. Did I get that right?
No, not at all actually.

Apparently that other poster thinks Boyle is some kind of demigod and someone probably needs to deflate his expectations before he hurts himself.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:05 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
You didn't answer a single question of mine. I'll give you another shot.

To reiterate, I'm perfectly willing to give Jeff Finger, and Fletcher and Wilson, the benefit of the doubt until he proves on the ice in a Leafs' jersey that his contract is the waste of money you insist it is, based apparently solely on your belief that someone his age with only 94 NHL games played couldn't possibly be worth what the Leafs are willing to pay him.
It's not a waste of money based on performance - it's a waste of money based on the fact that they simply didn't need to pay him that much to get him in a Leafs jersey. I'm sure whatever Fletcher and Wilson saw in him could've been acquired at a more cap-friendly price. Liles only got paid 4 million and look at how much more proven he is than Finger. If Finger demanded 3.5 Million, they should have gone elsewhere. It's cap management 101. You HAVE TO build under the Detroit model if you want to win for many years: you can't pay Jeff Finger 3.5 Million because that's money that should be used to lock up Brad Stuart at 3.75 Million. It's just stupid to gamble on Finger's ability when it absolutely isn't necessary.

Old
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Jeff Finger=Scott Fraser ??
umm...what article did you get that from?

i ask because whoever wrote it is wrong.

sather didn't join the rangers until 2000. neil smith was still in charge at the time of fraser being signed. not to mention the info is off by 1 season.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
My dream pairing for next years all star game.

Jeff Finger/Rory Fitzpatrick

Then Finger will be exposed as a fraud.
As a fraud.

How the hell does someone become a fraud because someone else decided to pay them too much money?

Finger didn't demand this contract.

You're just another Leaf hating loser. It gets old.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote