HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

free agents

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 09:08 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
free agents

lets say we win the cup and every player on our team wants to come back next year to defend, what type of contract (amount & length) which u give the following players given the potential cba?

konowalchuk
kariya
selanne
skrastins
nikolishin
forsberg
tanguay
hejduk
aebischer

???

Old
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
lets say we win the cup and every player on our team wants to come back next year to defend, what type of contract (amount & length) which u give the following players given the potential cba?

konowalchuk
kariya
selanne
skrastins
nikolishin
forsberg
tanguay
hejduk
aebischer

???
Kono-2 mil
Kariya-4 mil
Selanne-3.5 mil
Skrats-2 mil
Niko-2 mil
Foppa-7 mil
Tanguay-4 mil
Hejduk-4.5 mil
Aebi-4 mil

Total-33 mil...yikes, thats a lot for 9 players. Maybe less for Niko and Kono...I dunno.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:53 PM
RoyIsALegend*

I kind of put the players into four groups, in terms of urgency to get them signed.

Peter Forsberg - One year contract for same amount, $11 M.
Alex Tanguay - Three year contract for $3.5 M per season.
Milan Hejduk - Three year contract for $4.5 M per season.
David Aebischer - Three year contract for $2.5 M per season.

Steve Konowalchuk - One year contract for $2.5 M.
Paul Kariya - Two year contract for $6.5 M per season.
Karlis Skrastins - Two year contract for $1.5 M per season.

Andrei Nikolishin - One year contract for $1.2 M.

Teemu Selanne - Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:01 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I kind of put the players into four groups, in terms of urgency to get them signed.

Peter Forsberg - One year contract for same amount, $11 M.
Alex Tanguay - Three year contract for $3.5 M per season.
Milan Hejduk - Three year contract for $4.5 M per season.
David Aebischer - Three year contract for $2.5 M per season.

Steve Konowalchuk - One year contract for $2.5 M.
Paul Kariya - Two year contract for $6.5 M per season.
Karlis Skrastins - Two year contract for $1.5 M per season.

Andrei Nikolishin - One year contract for $1.2 M.

Teemu Selanne - Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Come on, Selanne is picking it up. Are you thinking we'd sign a free agent RW'er to fill his spot?

Old
02-18-2004, 01:08 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Come on, Selanne is picking it up. Are you thinking we'd sign a free agent RW'er to fill his spot?
No, I'm not.

I'm thinking that with the current CBA coming up, the Avalanche should be very careful as to where they spend their money. We have a ton of solid, young, core players and it's not like we depend immensely on Teemu for offense.

If Peter Forsberg were to leave, then sure... keep Selanne around.

But how can you justify paying a guy that much money(HE WILL NOT GO LOWER THAN HIS CURRENT $5.8 M) when Kariya, Tanguay, Hejduk and Aebischer ALL need raises? I can't.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Well, we'll have Svatos back next year, presumably. And Selanne is awfully expensive, even if he does get back to looking like himself again. I would think that he would be the one taking the 1.2 mil this time around, if it comes up. Kariya is going to be due a payday, but he won't be able to break the bank unless he really has a great finish to the season. I definitely wouldn't want Selanne back without Kariya.

I would think that you have to resign Kono, he's been a perfect fit in every way you can think of.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
Well, we'll have Svatos back next year, presumably. And Selanne is awfully expensive, even if he does get back to looking like himself again. I would think that he would be the one taking the 1.2 mil this time around, if it comes up. Kariya is going to be due a payday, but he won't be able to break the bank unless he really has a great finish to the season. I definitely wouldn't want Selanne back without Kariya.

I would think that you have to resign Kono, he's been a perfect fit in every way you can think of.
Not to harp on the subject, but unless things turn around soon Kariya is a little guy who passes well and skates fast. He's worth more than he's currently paid, and will do better (hopefully) than he has, but no way does he merit the $8 million that he'll probably look for in the open market.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:49 PM
MileHigh

I think we will definetly re-sign Tanguay(3 mil), Hejduk(4 mil) and Aebischer(2.5 mil).

Skrastins, Konowalchuk and Nikolishin are all players I would love (in that order to) to have back but with all of them wanting about 1.5-2 mil each, we may have to let them walk.

Selanne and Forsberg are most likely gone for next year seeing as Forsberg will want to go home and Selanne might want to test the market and the Avs might not even want him back.

Kariya would be nice to have back but he is most likely going to demand 5-7 million and that may be too rich for the Avs.

Closed Thread