HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Van Ryn being shopped around by JM!

Old
07-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

vCash: 500
Van Ryn being shopped around by JM!

"Other defencemen being shopped around include Calgary's Adrian Aucoin, Carolina's Frantisek Kaberle, Vancouver's Kevin Bieksa, Dallas' Philippe Boucher and Florida's Mike Van Ryn. Unrestricted free agent Marek Malik, who played with the Rangers last season, is also up for grabs."

Here is the link:

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...71986-sun.html

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Georgia Panther

That will be like trying to sell a car with a cracked engine block.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
That will be like trying to sell a car with a cracked engine block.
Maybe we can get someone who doesn't know much about cars to trade with!!!

Old
07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

It doesn't surprise me in the least that JM is shopping Van Ryn around. What would surprise me is if somebody actually took him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
It doesn't surprise me in the least that JM is shopping Van Ryn around. What would surprise me is if somebody actually took him.
i agree. i bet he's just feeling around. i'd be more inclined to hold on to him and try again later. there is still a decent chance his value will go up if he can get himself healthy. perhaps he could be moved in september after a showing well (we hope) in a few preseason games? or maybe he stays for now and we try to move someone during season (sticking welch in rochester until something opens up)?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
johnjm22

Is his wrist injury that bad?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:39 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Is his wrist injury that bad?
he's had multiple surgeries on both wrists i believe and, yeah, it's pretty much rendered him useless.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Booth10

Same injury that Pronger had.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

At his salary, he needs to go. I really like Ryno when he's healthy, but he hasn't been for a couple seasons now.

I'd be happy with just a pick or a prospect. Perhaps he can be part of a package.

07-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Heimy

This doesn't make much sense to me (unless he's been seen working out and has proven his wrists are a-ok) Otherwise why would anyone trade for what is currently perceived as damaged goods? Makes more sense to wait 'til training camp so he can demonstrate that he's fully recovered.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:56 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
At his salary, he needs to go. I really like Ryno when he's healthy, but he hasn't been for a couple seasons now.

I'd be happy with just a pick or a prospect. Perhaps he can be part of a package.
There are two ways to look at this situation. Take one; VanRyn has really bad wrist problems, so Martin is looking to trade him, making a team take a gamble on him in order to get ANYTHING for him, before he proves to be unable to play in the NHL and forced to retire or something of that nature.
Take two; you wait and see with VanRyn whether or not he's able to come back and recover to be a contributor. That way you can trade him after he's built up some value, which would cause more teams to want him and a higher return value.

My personal opinion is we should hang on to him and see how he can recover. If he ever can get his wrists fixed, he could be a really valuable player. He scored over 10 goals a few seasons ago IIRC and was better than Bouwmeester for a large part of the season. He's a great competitor but he shouldn't have been playing with his injuries. When he puts his health and career on the line just go out there and try to battle, even though he was unproductive, you have to appreciate that kind of effort. He was a bit of a leader before as well and always voiced he loved South Florida. I think that it's better to take a risk and hang on to him. Sure our defense is looking good, but you can never have too many good dmen. Bouw, Allen, Ballard, Boynton, Skrastins, Welch, and Murphy all figure to get some playing time if they're all around. Welch is a bit like VanRyn in terms of his style, but he needs to overcome injuries as well. Personally, I want Murphy gone, but I'd rather see some competition in camp to see who earns spots. If Skrastins is forced out of a spot, then you trade him too. Plus, if we lose Bouw, at least VanRyn has proven he can play a lot of minutes and play well at both ends when healthy, although obviously he couldn't replace 1/4th of a hole caused by Bouw's departure.

Last edited by PanthersRule96: 07-05-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Grammatically mistaken lol.
PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Good points 96. I'd honestly much rather see Ryno return to his old form and be a really valuable defenseman for us. Especially if Bouw is gone. It's just such a question mark right now. At his salary, right now may be the best time to move him, before we find out he's not healthy enough and we're forced to have his salry on the books.

I'd much rather see Smurph gone, too. I can't think where there's a spot for him.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Maybe we can get someone who doesn't know much about cars to trade with!!!
Unfortunatley there are realy mainly two guys in the league like that, one is now the head coach in Calgary, because no one else will ever let be a GM again, and the other one is the GM here.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
There's two ways to look at this situation. Take one; VanRyn has really bad wrist problems, so Martin is looking to trade him, making a team take a gamble on him in order to get ANYTHING for him, before he proves to be unable to play in the NHL and forced to retire or something of that nature.
Take two; you wait and see with VanRyn whether or not he's able to come back and recover to be a contributor. That way you can trade him after he's built up some value, which would cause more teams to want him and a higher return value.

My personal opinion is we should hang on to him and see how he can recover. If he ever can get his wrists fixed, he could be a really valuable player. He scored over 10 goals a few seasons ago IIRC and was better than Bouwmeester for a large part of the season. He's a great competitor but he shouldn't have been playing with his injuries. When he puts his health and career on the line just go out there and try to battle, even though he was unproductive, you have to appreciate that kind of effort. He was a bit of a leader before as well and always voiced he loved South Florida. I think that it's better to take a risk and hang on to him. Sure our defense is looking good, but you can never have too many good dmen. Bouw, Allen, Ballard, Boynton, Skrastins, Welch, and Murphy all figure to get some playing time if they're all around. Welch is a bit like VanRyn in terms of his style, but he needs to overcome injuries as well. Personally, I want Murphy gone, but I'd rather see some competition in camp to see who earns spots. If Skrastins is forced out of a spot, then you trade him too. Plus, if we lose Bouw, at least VanRyn has proven he can play a lot of minutes and play well at both ends when healthy, although obviously he couldn't replace 1/4th of a hole caused by Bouw's departure.
The only problem with this is I think JM is trying to move that contract and free up some money to hopefully sign another winger and probably Montador!

Old
07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
The only problem with this is I think JM is trying to move that contract and free up some money to hopefully sign another winger and probably Montador!
This is true. I don't really want Montador back for what he'll be commanding. What exactly does he bring that our current slotted players don't? He's easily beaten defensively and undersized. He's also not a great forward relative to those who have played their whole lives up front. His pluses include his leadership, heart, and intensity, as he'll do whatever it takes to help the team. His minuses include his next contract, and his defensive shortcomings, while not really making up for it on the offensive end. He's a likeable guy and I'd enjoy having his character back, but I'd rather we let Welch, Skrastins, or VanRyn play on defense than him. Also, on offense, we already have our forth line set with players like Dvorak, Campbell, and Belak or whoever. We also will have enough depth that we won't be needing to call up crappy people like Globke or Glass or throw Monty on forward. Repik, Matthias, Frolik, Stewart, and others will be able to play in emergency situations.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:

I like VanRyn, and I remember reading before the season ended that his wrists healed very well and he is painfree now, so who knows, maybe he'll stay. Possibly trade him and Smurph for another forward, or prospect to just to free cap space. Are Cully and Johansen gone? Mezei too because of UFA?

Then we have
VanRyn
Jbo
Allen
Ballard
Boynton
Murphy
Monty
Skrats

Maybe trade Smurph
Jbo-Ballard
Allen-Skrats
Van Ryn-Boynton
Monty can be 4th line with Belak and Mclean, and send Campbell to minors

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
There are two ways to look at this situation. Take one; VanRyn has really bad wrist problems, so Martin is looking to trade him, making a team take a gamble on him in order to get ANYTHING for him, before he proves to be unable to play in the NHL and forced to retire or something of that nature.

My opinion is that Martin will be doing a lot of both.

1. Trying to sell him now for anything short of the buy-out price
2. Since there will be no takers at any price, Martin will be hoping for the best come camp.

Ryno is done.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
FlaPanthers7

His value is at an absolute low. JM must want to make cap room for either someone else (FA) or for another trade. I would only expect a mid round draft pick at best.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:00 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Assuming Martin knew Bouwmeester wasn't going to sign a long term deal, then shopping Van Ryn is an odd move. I assume it means if Bouwmeester is traded, we'd be acquiring more D back in the process, otherwise why shop Van Ryn, when possibly losing Bouwmeester, and his value is low?

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Dr Quincy

Glenn Murray for Van Ryn. Murray makes $4.1 for this year and his contract ends after the season. I know he doesn't have much left in the tank but it seems like your team is thin at the wings and deep at D. There's a chance Murray regains his scoring touch (but probably not). Basically an "our problem for your problem" deal.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Glenn Murray for Van Ryn. Murray makes $4.1 for this year and his contract ends after the season. I know he doesn't have much left in the tank but it seems like your team is thin at the wings and deep at D. There's a chance Murray regains his scoring touch (but probably not). Basically an "our problem for your problem" deal.
um... that would be no. ryno doesn't have much of any value right now but that could change - he's still relatively young. he's also less expensive. add to that the fact that an aging, slow murray doesn't fit the style it looks like the panthers will be playing next year and this doesn't make much sense.

Old
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Whatever happened to "Buy low, sell high?"

And if Bouwmeester will not be a Panther next year (and at this point I'm convinced that he won't be) then we better hang on to as many bodies on defense as we possibly can. Van Ryn is a GOOD 2-way defenseman and like 96 said, he wants to play here. Let's at least see what he can bring next season, see if his wrists are fully healed, and THEN make a decision as to what we do with him.

In all likelihood, we trade Van Ryn for a mid-round pick, he bounces back 100% from his injury and plays the way he did a few seasons ago, and we look like fools again.

And honestly, it's not like we're trying to shed salary. As Acadmus (if that's even your REAL name...) said in the other thread, we have $12 million in cap space.

Last edited by Clint: 07-07-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
sinDer

Our Defense would look very good with the "Van Ryn from 2003-2004"

I think it's possible

he's still young, 29 or 30, I think he can bounce back, who knows

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Whatever happened to "Buy low, sell high?"

And if Bouwmeester will not be a Panther next year (and at this point I'm convinced that he won't be) then we better hang on to as many bodies on defense as we possibly can. Van Ryn is a GOOD 2-way defenseman and like 96 said, he wants to play here. Let's at least see what he can bring next season, see if his wrists are fully healed, and THEN make a decision as to what we do with him.

In all likelihood, we trade Van Ryn for a mid-round pick, he bounces back 100% from his injury and plays the way he did a few seasons ago, and we look like fools again.

And honestly, it's not like we're trying to shed salary. As Acadmus (if that's even your REAL name...) said in the other thread, we have $12 million in cap space.
Well said Clint. Van Ryn's value right now doesn't warrant trading him for what we could get right now.

If we really need to offload a defenseman, we should be trying to get rid of Murphy.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
No thanks.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote