HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Lowe rips Burke a new one!

Old
07-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
It's crazy that not a long time ago, everybody was laughing at Kevin Lowe about his team... and now, just by looking at the Oilers line-up, I can say they really have an interesting mix of players... Pretty sure good things will happen in Edmonton soon...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
jiboy
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
ohh yeaaa ?? when was that?
2 years ago when we traded rivet for gorges+1st rounder he complained about gainey not phoning him back

(maybe gainey could be blamed but why did he need to publicise it?)

jiboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
Remember when Burke ripped Gainey in the news...

*ss hole
Burke didn't rip Gainey in the news. He wrote in his blog that Gainey didn't call him back before trading Rivet. The Montreal media got wind of Burke's statement in his blog and crucified Gainey for not exploring all options. However, the reason Gainey didn't call Burke back was because he already had an agreement with San Jose but was waiting for Rivet to get over his pneumonia before making the trade official. Burke later apologized to Gainey over the heat BG had to take for Burke's stupid comments in his blog.

Like Kevin Lowe said, this is a case in point of Burke being in a non-hockey market where things don't even make the paper and looking for limelight. The trouble is Gainey is in a passionate hockey market and it was Bob who got hurt over Burke's blog statements which weren't very well thought out. Burke should have known better and thought about this before opening his big trap. Also, any trade discussions among GM's should be confidential. Burke's an idiot who broke a code and this makes it even more annoying to listen to him whine all the time.

The other thing I don't like about Burke is he is well connected with NHL brass and if you watch a lot of Ducks games, it is amazing how many breaks they get from the officials.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Lowe told it like it is.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

This is getting OLD real fast...both need to grow up IMO

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Burke is perfect for GM of the Leafs.

A new era of dooshbaggery shall reign in Toronto.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:10 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Burkes greatest complaint is that Lowe is driving up costs. Burke wishes to take advantage of others in trades ( within the rules) with warm weather but doesnt wish Lowe to take advantage within the rules. What would happen if every players woman wanted to live in warm weather? Would Burke restrain himself or would he be part of the ruination of the league. What are the price of tickets in disneyland? Is he filling the seats with lower prices?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:56 PM
puckeater

All this was kinda fun at first but now it's just childish. The league should make some calls and get everyone chilled out. It's bushleague drama now. It's supposed to be the best professional league in the world.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:56 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Agreed.

What do GM's do during the season? They watch their team. They watch other teams to see if they have anything that can improve their team. They watch their coaches.

Even if you are someone like Bob Gainey, who refuses to negotiate contracts until the off-season, not negotiating with your younger players new contracts and allowing them to test the RFA waters puts you in the hot seat, not the other GM. What in the hell was Burke doing that was so important all year that he couldn't negotiate a good deal with Penner? Same with Perry. Same to Regier and Vanek.

Darcy is easily one of the worst GM's around. The way no-one EVER wants to stay in Buffalo, and when they stay, they are overpaid? I doubt its the city of Buffalo, New York. It's pretty much all on Regier's head that he can't keep a single player. Soon, he'll lose Miller and Buffalo and Toronto will help inflate the Northeastern Teams stats in the East.
Get your facts straight.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I didn't see one good point about what Kevin Lowe said. He went nuts last year by wanting to sign everybody and hurt a franchise like Buffalo in the process with the Vanek signing. Now we are at a place where all the GMs are paranoid that somebody will give an offer sheet to their young player and as such they overpay. This is a freak that wanted to sign Hossa to 8 years, 9.5 each year.

Burke is a loud mouth a-hole but Kevin Lowe needs to be put down like a horse. The guy is batsh*t insane and hurts the league.

Also It feels like Lowe took personaly that he traded Pronger to the Ducks and they won the cup in great part because of him. Well Einstein, that was one of the worst trade there ever was and Lowe damaged his team for it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Alexei Yashvalev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I didn't see one good point about what Kevin Lowe said. He went nuts last year by wanting to sign everybody and hurt a franchise like Buffalo in the process with the Vanek signing. Now we are at a place where all the GMs are paranoid that somebody will give an offer sheet to their young player and as such they overpay. This is a freak that wanted to sign Hossa to 8 years, 9.5 each year.

Burke is a loud mouth a-hole but Kevin Lowe needs to be put down like a horse. The guy is batsh*t insane and hurts the league.

Also It feels like Lowe took personaly that he traded Pronger to the Ducks and they won the cup in great part because of him. Well Einstein, that was one of the worst trade there ever was and Lowe damaged his team for it.
Buffalo hurt themselves, they shouldn't have been in that position to begin with, and anyway with the salary cap in place there's only so much money to go around; he *can't* inflate salaries past a certain point. It's just not possible.

Alexei Yashvalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
Buffalo hurt themselves, they shouldn't have been in that position to begin with, and anyway with the salary cap in place there's only so much money to go around; he *can't* inflate salaries past a certain point. It's just not possible.
Not only what he did was damaging but knowing Lowe he will continue to do so.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:25 AM
mcphee

Lowe kept his mouth shut for a year and let Burke play his grandstand game, knowing full well he was playing up to his media buddies. It's about time someone hit back, I guess Lowe had enough.

He shouldn't have mentionnned Bobby Ryan though. Brining a kid trying to make it, into the battle in pretty low brow. Lowe owes Ryan an apology imo, everything else was fine and all part of the pissing match.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:44 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Kevin Lowe is not mentally ill at all. Lowe took the best deal he could get after he was forced to make a trade. Like Gainey did for a top 15 scorer. Did Lowe attack Burke personally after being forced to trade Pronger? Did Burke attack Lowe personally after Lowe made the offer sheet? Burke wants to underpay players who like to live in the sun and win more cups riding on the Laurals of the previous GMs or FAs like Neids, Selanne. He did manage to hold on to Gigieure but let his other goalie go for nothing. IM surprised he didnt sighn his main man Cloutier. The RFA offer sheets are within the rules. Lowe was taking advantage of the rules. Arbitration and forced trades, holdouts drive up prices more. If Lowe is an outlier why would other GMs be fearful? Didnt Philly make an offer to Kesler? If Sid or Alex O were an RFA would other GMs including Burke make him an offer? Those are the rules.

Old
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Kachino
@kachino82

Just want to gauge the boards opinion...

Who will finish higher in 08/09, Edmonton Oilers or Anaheim Ducks?

Old
07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino View Post
Just want to gauge the boards opinion...

Who will finish higher in 08/09, Edmonton Oilers or Anaheim Ducks?
Probably the ducks with better goaltending and veteran stars.

Old
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Burke is more overated than the New York Rangers at the start of the 2003-2004 season.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:57 PM
LastChancePrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
ohh yeaaa ?? when was that?

He whine after BG because he didnt talk to him when he trade rivet...dont remember?

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Probably the ducks with better goaltending and veteran stars.
I think the Oilers will finish 1st in their division and be in front of the Ducks for the upcoming season...

Old
07-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
All this was kinda fun at first but now it's just childish. The league should make some calls and get everyone chilled out. It's bushleague drama now. It's supposed to be the best professional league in the world.
If you think this sort of thing ruins the professional credibility of the sport, you should look up some of the old Conn Smythe/Jack Adams shenanigans. Burke/Lowe is pretty slight in comparison.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:33 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Sounds like a sore loser yapping about another sore loser.

Anaheim actually sold more tickets than Edmonton last year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008
I agree. Lowe comes off looking bad. I'd fire him immediately. Turns out Pronger didn't manipulate that trade, Lowe just made a bad deal. And then he made a bad offer sheet.

Burke is right imo.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
I agree. Lowe comes off looking bad. I'd fire him immediately. Turns out Pronger didn't manipulate that trade, Lowe just made a bad deal. And then he made a bad offer sheet.

Burke is right imo.
Lowe has done a great job this off-season. I think both of his trades will pay off highly for Edmonton. They've maintained their youth and gotten tougher to play against.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Lowe has done a great job this off-season. I think both of his trades will pay off highly for Edmonton. They've maintained their youth and gotten tougher to play against.
I agree and I agree that Burke ran Vancouver into the ground, but his comments justifying the Pronger trade and the Penner signing are way off base imo.

I've ended up agreeing with Burke.

But what was wrong with the Niedermeyer acquisition?

Old
07-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Skrudland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
He shouldn't have mentionnned Bobby Ryan though. Brining a kid trying to make it, into the battle in pretty low brow. Lowe owes Ryan an apology imo, everything else was fine and all part of the pissing match.
It seemed to me (although I haven't heard the actual audio) that he probably got a bit caught up in speaking frankly, as he would with his staff, and forgot that the kid would be hearing this. I agree though, he should apologise to Ryan and he probably will.

Skrudland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland View Post
It seemed to me (although I haven't heard the actual audio) that he probably got a bit caught up in speaking frankly, as he would with his staff, and forgot that the kid would be hearing this. I agree though, he should apologise to Ryan and he probably will.
He might want to apologize to the Sedins as well since a lot of that was a backhanded shot at them.