HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rumor: Possible trade between Ottawa and Toronto

Old
07-06-2008, 12:55 AM
bfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I love how everyone values vermette and meszaros so much, just because they're young.

You realize that they're both in line for somewhere around $4 million dollars salary next year, don't you?

Why would we trade a $5 million dollar Kubina, for a $4 million dollar Meszaros?
Because he has great potential maybe..

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Meszaros is not a "great" player.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:37 AM
bfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Nope, didn't say he was, at this point he's just a offensive Dman with a lot of work to do in order to reach his potential

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I think he's got the ability, time, and potential to be one.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It's nice to dream but there's no way Vermette would get traded for somebody like Kubina or McCabe. He's quite young and the Sens wouldn't want to destroy their second line, even if they need a D. I could see draft picks and prospects going the other way, though.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:59 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It's nice to dream but there's no way Vermette would get traded for somebody like Kubina or McCabe. He's quite young and the Sens wouldn't want to destroy their second line, even if they need a D. I could see draft picks and prospects going the other way, though.

he plays on the 3rd, not 2nd

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
93xxGilmourxx93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I could see draft picks and prospects going the other way, though.
I think that's what the Leafs should be looking for anyways, unless it's a blockbuster where we get a true 1st liner. We already have a whole pile of mid-level roster players, getting even more doesn't make any sense at this point IMO

93xxGilmourxx93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vermette is a 2nd line forward.....but just barely.

Kubina and Mccabe are both top-pair defensemen.

Obviously, Ottawa improves their team more by making that kind of trade than the Leafs do.

Vermette's also going to be costing near $4 mil this year, so there's not much caphit savings either.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:47 AM
shaner89

I assume Ottawa has no interest in Mcabe or Kubina since they are close to aquiring Mclaren or Schnieder. I think Mcabe and Kubina are the better players, but it looks like Ottawa is going elsewhere to get a dman.

shaner89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
I assume Ottawa has no interest in Mcabe or Kubina since they are close to aquiring Mclaren or Schnieder. I think Mcabe and Kubina are the better players, but it looks like Ottawa is going elsewhere to get a dman.
These are the players listed as choices for Murray and Ottawa..

Quote:
OTTAWA SUN: Don Brennan reports Senators GM Bryan Murray is shopping for a veteran defenseman and is believed trying to land Anaheim's Mathieu Schneider, although Brennan feels he's past his "best before" date. "Other available options being quietly shopped, according to one assistant GM, include the hard-shooting Sheldon Souray, Philippe Boucher, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Van Ryn, Trevor Daley, Adrian Aucoin, Filip Kuba, Tom Poti, Jaroslav Spacek and Cam Barker", writes Brennan, who also suggests if Murray talks trade with Carolina to try to land forward Tuomo Ruutu.
There is no mention of any Leafs Dman in the Ottawa picture and this is just a figment of Eklund's imagination again..

07-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
These are the players listed as choices for Murray and Ottawa..

There is no mention of any Leafs Dman in the Ottawa picture and this is just a figment of Eklund's imagination again..
Now, Mess, I agree this talk is just more rumour-mongering for Eklund, but you can't exactly point to an Ottawa Sun article and give that as the reason why Eklund is wrong - it's not exactly a ton more credible (although I grant you Brennan is much better than Garrioch...).

The fact is any GM looking for top 2-3 veteran D will be considering McCabe and Kubina, is they think they can get them for a reasonable price. That's really all it comes down to. If the price was right, of course Ottawa would be willing to take one of them on - but at this point we have no reason to pick Ottawa ahead of a number of other potential destinations.

Interestingly, some of the teams whose defencemen are listed as being "quietly shopped" would likely then want to turn around and add a Kubina or McCabe. Dallas springs to mind as an example - if they move Boucher and/or Daley, that could well be a precursor to bringing in Kubina. Just saying we shouldn't assume that we know who all is in the market for defencemen based on their current roster, as everyone's roster is in flux.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Now, Mess, I agree this talk is just more rumour-mongering for Eklund, but you can't exactly point to an Ottawa Sun article and give that as the reason why Eklund is wrong - it's not exactly a ton more credible (although I grant you Brennan is much better than Garrioch...)..
To be fair I wasn't actually accusing Eklund of being wrong, but rather just making crap up again, with the likely reason to increase traffic on his website.

Divisional deals between arch rivals are THE (boldied for dramatic effect ) most unlikely outcome based on the law of averages and historical records.. Enemies and rivals make strange bed fellows for trade partners. Most teams prefer to trade out of the Conference even, not in the same division. .

The concept of Ottawa looking and picking form that list of Dmen the article listed, and then creating a chain or events that may open a future trade partner for the Leafs as an end result I can certainly buy into as plausible.

The idea that Leafs would send over a Dman like Kubina to Ottawa which could have a future big impact against us I'm still not buying and don't think is very realistic, regardless if it came from Eklund or the Queen of England as a rumour.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
To be fair I wasn't actually accusing Eklund of being wrong, but rather just making crap up again, with the likely reason to increase traffic on his website.
Oh, granted. He's such a *****.

Quote:
The idea that Leafs would send over a Dman like Kubina to Ottawa which could have a future big impact against us I'm still not buying and don't think is very realistic, regardless if it came from Eklund or the Queen of England as a rumour.
I agree it makes a direct trade less likely, but I don't think the possibility can be discounted. Fletch will make the best hockey deal he can, and in the unlikely event that offer happens to come from Ottawa, I have no doubt he'll pull the trigger.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:10 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
IMO, Kubina should be able to land a similar package in a deal that Tampa recieved from that Dan Boyle Blockbuster trade to San Jose. It included Ty Wishart (bluechip), Carle (future PP QB), and a 1st round pick.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
I can't see Ottawa having any interest in Caber at all. They may be dumb, but they're not stupid.

As for Kubina, they would only pay a bargain price (such as Neil). Fisher is their best player, and they wouldn't give him up for anything short of Crosby or Ovechkin.
You gotta win a prize for that post.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Russell Oliver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFAN4LIFE View Post
I was just on hockeybuzz.com (yes, when you're that bored and dying for rumors, you go there lol) and he is reporting that Toronto and Ottawa have laid the groundwork on a trade sending either Kubina or McCabe to Ottawa.

What would you expect in return for either players from Ottawa given what Tampa received for Dan Boyle?

Some posters here think the leafs need more toughness, perhaps another fighter. Possibly a deal with Neil coming back the other way I think shouldn't be out of the question. If we could somehow pry Foligno from Ottawa, he'd be a very nice addition to our young core.
Your talking 1 & 2 Defensemen you need to win now the door is closing quickly, there fore Brain Lee and Nick Foligno would be needed to secure a guy who would play on your 1st unit Defence.

Russell Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
A future big impact? Toronto's going to miss the playoffs and by the looks of things, Fletcher is dumping talent and salary to challenge for Tavares. You could only hope that Kubina goes to a division rival and singlehandedly beats you 6 times this season.
Would you rather finish 9th or 10th again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
vermette is a 2nd line forward.....but just barely.

He was 84th in scoring among forwards this season with 1:30 PP mins per game and no ice time with any of the big-3.

- 84th... theoretical leaguewide "1st liners" should finish 1-90th in forward scoring, theoretical "2nd liners" should finish 91-180th.
- Most 1st liners receive 4:30 PP mins per game, most 2nd liners receive 2:30 PP mins per game.

A better argument could be made that Vermette is a bubble 1st line player than a bubble 2nd line player.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:19 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

I gotta argue that Fletch is trying to get Tavares.... I really don't see that. He simply seems to be re-tooling via the Finger, Mayers, Frogren and Cujo (less so) deals.... as disappointing as it is for most of us Leaf fans .... personally, I'd like to see MLSE get it handed to them and get brutalized with losses this season and Leafs finishing DEAD-last. But this will never happen for the Leafs, even if on paper they had the WORST team on paper and all of the Marlies playing with Scott Clemmy in goal. It's just not in our luck for this to happen. I see a 7-10th pick again this next draft as the BEST possible result from the standings/lottery

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:06 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeafman94 View Post
I doubt you guys would give up a top line centre, its harder to replace then a winger.
So How about Heatley for Kubina, Stajan, Ponikerovski + plus second in 11, and third 09.
Done in a SECOND!

Heatley is money when wearing the Maple Leaf on his chest!

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:13 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin51 View Post
I gotta argue that Fletch is trying to get Tavares.... I really don't see that. He simply seems to be re-tooling via the Finger, Mayers, Frogren and Cujo (less so) deals.... as disappointing as it is for most of us Leaf fans .... personally, I'd like to see MLSE get it handed to them and get brutalized with losses this season and Leafs finishing DEAD-last. But this will never happen for the Leafs, even if on paper they had the WORST team on paper and all of the Marlies playing with Scott Clemmy in goal. It's just not in our luck for this to happen. I see a 7-10th pick again this next draft as the BEST possible result from the standings/lottery
Also keeping Toskala around doesn't help the cause.

A Razor/Cujo combo could have easily done it for us.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Toonces9966

How about Heatley for McCabe, Poni and our third in 2010

Toonces9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:07 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Also keeping Toskala around doesn't help the cause.

A Razor/Cujo combo could have easily done it for us.
My thoughts exactly. Plus he should've kept Tucks to ensure the locker room was a negative experience

Seriously tho, and I know I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but I would've signed Ty Conklin for the money he got @ 700/yr and entertained offers for Vesa to get an additional 1st. Have ya seen the top 10 prospects??? Oooo buddy, there's GOLD in them hills!

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote