Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EKLUND: calgary flames interested in Vermette

Old
07-05-2008, 05:16 PM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
According to Eklund Vermette and 14 other RFA's filed for arbitration...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16111

What does this mean for the chances of Calgary to get one of these RFA's? Curious

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Hyperkookeez*

if vermette did end up in calgary that would be wicked

hes like lombardi but with hands made of butter rather than stone

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Vermette would have to take the Flames to arbitration for the Flames to get the 2nd buyout period...
Vermette has filed for arbitration so by acquiring him the Flames would get the second period, but I think the odds are veeeery slim to non-existent. If Sutter proves me wrong, I will be happy, though.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
Vermette has filed for arbitration so by acquiring him the Flames would get the second period, but I think the odds are veeeery slim to non-existent. If Sutter proves me wrong, I will be happy, though.
if by some miracle Sutter were to land Vermette... I would not want to wait for Vermette to go to arbitration to sign him... I would want him signed long term pretty much immediately...

but for fun...

Lombardi + Eriksson + 1st in '09 for Vermette + Conditional 3rd (if the Flames don't sign Vermette before arbitration)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:18 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
if by some miracle Sutter were to land Vermette... I would not want to wait for Vermette to go to arbitration to sign him... I would want him signed long term pretty much immediately...

but for fun...

Lombardi + Eriksson + 1st in '09 for Vermette + Conditional 3rd (if the Flames don't sign Vermette before arbitration)
So you'd trade a 1st round pick in a brilliant draft to fill a hole on the second line, while in the same trade re-create that very same hole on the very same second line?

Could be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
Considering Aucoin was the #5 defensemen at times last year, I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for Vermette. He could be an excellent second line center and would probably sign for something between 4-5M.

Although the Flames would probably have to add more, as I doubt the Senators would take Aucoin for Vermette straight up. Prehaps Aucoin + Moss for Vermette.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
So you'd trade a 1st round pick in a brilliant draft to fill a hole on the second line, while in the same trade re-create that very same hole on the very same second line?

Could be the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
Mod-edit: deleted.

Vermette is easily an upgrade on Lombardi... Lombardi has never proved himself to be a 2nd line player... it may not fill a hole... but with other top 6 positions filled with stronger players you can make up for a weaker player in the top 6... you know much like when McAmmond played on our top line or were you a fan prior to '04?

Last edited by Snoil11: 07-06-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Flaming
Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Northern Neighbour

The Flames don't have the cap space to add Vermette without sending salary back the other way. Aucoin makes the most sense to be dealt for both clubs - his $4M salary would free up space to add Vermette while the Sens get a top-4 defenseman with an expiring contract. The Flames, though, likely would have to add a player or a draft pick to balance out the trade.

The Sens won't be interested in acquiring players that have been waived. As such, you can forget about Warrener, Eriksson, or Nilsson going to Ottawa in a trade, especially since any team could wait for the Flames to put them on re-entry waivers and acquire them for free and at half the cap hit.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:40 PM
kruezer

Can I say that I think Aucoin was actually our 3rd best defenseman last year? It would hurt to lose him, but he is certainly replaceable, especially if Sarich continues his improved play that he had in the POs.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:10 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Mod-edit: deleted.

Vermette is easily an upgrade on Lombardi... Lombardi has never proved himself to be a 2nd line player... it may not fill a hole... but with other top 6 positions filled with stronger players you can make up for a weaker player in the top 6... you know much like when McAmmond played on our top line or were you a fan prior to '04?
To trade a 1st round pick PLUS a young forward who isnt that far behind Vermette is overpayment. Vermette has not established himself as a solid #2 center yet either...hence why Ottawa every year looks to pick up one to play behind Spezza.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:26 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
To trade a 1st round pick PLUS a young forward who isnt that far behind Vermette is overpayment. Vermette has not established himself as a solid #2 center yet either...hence why Ottawa every year looks to pick up one to play behind Spezza.
Ottawa isn't looking for a center to play behind Spezza. That's what Mike Fisher is for. We'd very easily keep Vermette if we can't find a way to get a good Defense man for him, he's completely 2nd line capable.

Honestly looking over what's in this thread, it's pretty clear that this rumor doesn't have much substance. There's really not a whole lot Calgary can offer for Vermette without an underpayment/overpayment. I don't see Calgary as that good of a trading partner either, we're probably going to be looking at teams that are 9 Defense men deep if we want to make a trade.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
Ottawa isn't looking for a center to play behind Spezza. That's what Mike Fisher is for. We'd very easily keep Vermette if we can't find a way to get a good Defense man for him, he's completely 2nd line capable.

Honestly looking over what's in this thread, it's pretty clear that this rumor doesn't have much substance. There's really not a whole lot Calgary can offer for Vermette without an underpayment/overpayment. I don't see Calgary as that good of a trading partner either, we're probably going to be looking at teams that are 9 Defense men deep if we want to make a trade.

Fischer has never proven to be a legit 2nd line center for offense. One heck of a 3rd liner.

Ottawa doesn't need a #2 c??

SO they never traded for Mike Comrie? Or Smolinski. Or Stillman. ALl these year after year in the last few years.

Ya...they havent been looking for a #2 center because Fisher and Vermette filled those roles.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
Fischer has never proven to be a legit 2nd line center for offense. One heck of a 3rd liner.

Ottawa doesn't need a #2 c??

SO they never traded for Mike Comrie? Or Smolinski. Or Stillman. ALl these year after year in the last few years.

Ya...they havent been looking for a #2 center because Fisher and Vermette filled those roles.
thats the thing though

vermette would be a better 2nd line center than fischer but fischer is signed at 4mil/year

signing vermette would take a similar amount making fischer an overpriced 3rd line center. who would want to take fischer @ 4 mil/year

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I like Vermette but already having Lombardi doesn't really make this idea have any legs. I can still see a more rugged winger coming here instead of a soft, skilled europoean or excellent 2 way forward that isn't an above average scorer.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote