HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Where will Selänne go?

Old
07-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Kuhta

vCash: 500
Where will Selänne go?

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/hockeynig...2008/06/667432

Selänne says that Anaheim is still his number one choice, but if they can´t fit his contract under cap, "I think i can find another team".

I think that if he leaves Anaheim, he will choose thinking what would inspirate him most. Playing with Koivu?... Kariya?

It would be nice to see him sign with Detroit for a peanuts

Kuhta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Lionheart

I'd love to see him in Ottawa if the price is right.... but truthfully, I can't picture him in any other jersey but Anaheim's. (or Winnipeg's. )

Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Reacher Gilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhta View Post

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:52 AM
SirKillalot

Canadiens or Blues perhaps?

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

I think it's either retirement or Ducks. He has 4 kids, I doubt he's going to move them away from their home to anywhere else than Finland (=retirement). He's said he won't wait until trade deadline to decide what to do, but IMO he's not going to play in Ducks season opener, either. I'm kinda hoping he retires, he won the Cup, now enjoy your life. Have your number lifted to the rafters, wait for call to the HHoF induction. If it happens.

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:00 PM
scud9

I think Montreal is only other choice besides Anaheim. Saku and Teemu have been talking about playing in a same team before. And in all fairness Latendresse doesn't belong in top6 forwards in any team in NHL.

scud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud9 View Post
I think Montreal is only other choice besides Anaheim. Saku and Teemu have been talking about playing in a same team before. And in all fairness Latendresse doesn't belong in top6 forwards in any team in NHL.
Lats isn't a top 6 forward right now. Tanguay, Kost Sr, Kovalev and Higgins are the top 2 line wingers, with Kost Jr the most likely to suplement one of them. Lats is clearly, at most a 3rd liner at this point.

I don't think Selanne at this stage of his career offers enough of an upgrade on them given his potential cap hit, especially since signing him would basically take us out of the Sundin derby. Now if the Habs don't sign Sundin, then there might be some available money.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 07-05-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Kuhta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
I think it's either retirement or Ducks. He has 4 kids, I doubt he's going to move them away from their home to anywhere else than Finland (=retirement). He's said he won't wait until trade deadline to decide what to do, but IMO he's not going to play in Ducks season opener, either. I'm kinda hoping he retires, he won the Cup, now enjoy your life. Have your number lifted to the rafters, wait for call to the HHoF induction. If it happens.
That´s possible too. It´s just that after last years cup, he almost stated that that´s it. I remember him saying that he wanted to end at top, and you can´t get higher than winning Stanley cup. I believe that he feels that it´s all said and done. He has had his glory in individul and team point of view. From that cup raising moment it has been all about fun. Last year he joined the ride because of a strong desire to play. I can see that happening this year too, and because comments about team choice has came down from "Anaheim. Period" to something like "you never know", i wouldn´t be too suprised if he wants to play with some old buddies, from national or club team.

Kuhta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:20 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Luc Robitaille came to the Wings for two years and lived there alone while his family stayed in LA. Granted it was basically a guaranteed cup for Luc, but I think the same sort of situation could be worked out if Teemu signed with the Habs.

After all, hockey players ultimately play the game cause its fun. I can imagine it would be pretty fun to play on a very competitive team surrounded by offensive talent and centered by one of your best friends in Koivu. On a one year contract, he wouldn't have to move his family either...

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:22 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Luc Robitaille came to the Wings for two years and lived there alone while his family stayed in LA. Granted it was basically a guaranteed cup for Luc, but I think the same sort of situation could be worked out if Teemu signed with the Habs.

After all, hockey players ultimately play the game cause its fun. I can imagine it would be pretty fun to play on a very competitive team surrounded by offensive talent and centered by one of your best friends in Koivu. On a one year contract, he wouldn't have to move his family either...
Problem is Montreal isn't a guaranteed cup.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

If he wants a guaranteed cup, he should sign for cheap with the Wings. That's as close to a guarantee as you're going to get. Montreal is a good team, but no where near the likes of the Wings.

Old
07-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Go_Krog*

i think its 75% Anaheim. 24% retire, and 1% montreal.

dont see any other team but montreal being a draw for him, especially with all that he's already accomplished.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:

Valid points, BUT, one thing. Robitaille had never won the cup before he came to Wings, so you could see it the same way that what happened with Bourque (wow, I managed to get Bourque into all this), a veteran players last attempt at the cup, which (rightfully) was a success. Selänne has already won a cup, with "his" team. So I'm really struggling to believe he would move to Montreal from LA to play with Saku for the Cup, which he has already won. So, again, I believe it's Ducks or nothing, and I'm hoping retirement even if Selänne is one of my favourites players ever, only because I don't want his game to decline to the level at which people are starting to question his greatness. Retire now, be a somewhat of a legend, or retire years from now and be remembered as a guy who didn't know when to quit.

Old
07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Problem is Montreal isn't a guaranteed cup.
No team is a guaranteed cup, not even Detroit.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Valid points, BUT, one thing. Robitaille had never won the cup before he came to Wings, so you could see it the same way that what happened with Bourque (wow, I managed to get Bourque into all this), a veteran players last attempt at the cup, which (rightfully) was a success. Selänne has already won a cup, with "his" team. So I'm really struggling to believe he would move to Montreal from LA to play with Saku for the Cup, which he has already won. So, again, I believe it's Ducks or nothing, and I'm hoping Ducks even if Selänne is one of my favourites players ever, only because I don't want his game to decline to the level at which people are starting to question his greatness. Retire now, be a somewhat of a legend, or retire years from now and be remembered as a guy who didn't know when to quit.
If he likes the LA area so much, and a cup isn't an issue, would he consider signing with the Kings? Would the Kings be interested?

Old
07-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Wheatking

Maybe if Oiler fans don't get excited about him he'll end up here.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Valid points, BUT, one thing. Robitaille had never won the cup before he came to Wings, so you could see it the same way that what happened with Bourque (wow, I managed to get Bourque into all this), a veteran players last attempt at the cup, which (rightfully) was a success. Selänne has already won a cup, with "his" team. So I'm really struggling to believe he would move to Montreal from LA to play with Saku for the Cup, which he has already won. So, again, I believe it's Ducks or nothing, and I'm hoping retirement even if Selänne is one of my favourites players ever, only because I don't want his game to decline to the level at which people are starting to question his greatness. Retire now, be a somewhat of a legend, or retire years from now and be remembered as a guy who didn't know when to quit.
yea i'd like him to get in one last season, i have no doubt he can put up 80 pts with a full season next year and it would be great to see him go out with one more real season and not be remembered by the half year pseudo-retirement crap.

Old
07-05-2008, 12:35 PM
AnaheimDucks90

I think all teams who are interested for Selänne have a very small room under the salary cap. But I can't say this enough:

Anaheim or retirement!

AnaheimDucks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Go_Krog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
If he likes the LA area so much, and a cup isn't an issue, would he consider signing with the Kings? Would the Kings be interested?
he still likes winning.

Old
07-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
I honestly don't see him with another team, let alone a Canadian team.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:39 PM
MOENing

Either Three options Duck Retire or Kings in that order he has stated he wants to stay close to his family. He does not want the kids to keep changing schools.

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I don't think anyone really wants to be a part of the next seasons Kings.

Old
07-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Taxes in MTL suck.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhta View Post

Selänne says that Anaheim is still his number one choice, but if they can´t fit his contract under cap, "I think i can find another team".

I think that if he leaves Anaheim, he will choose thinking what would inspirate him most. Playing with Koivu?... Kariya?

OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!!!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

If he doesnt sign with the Ducks, I think Sharks are much more likely option than Canadiens or the Kings. San Jose would be close to Duckville also.

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote