HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pics of the Moore/Naslund hit

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Leetchie

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Pics of the Moore/Naslund hit

Well, there have been exaggerations all around, and this is my point of view.

Steve Moore is a clean player -- he comes from a family who has two other college hockey brothers, and they're all hard-working, clean players. I don't think there was intent to injure on the play.

Naslund was racing towards the puck, Moore going towards him at an angle to cut him off. Moore beat Naslund to the puck, and Naslund was caught reaching, leaning forward.

When Naslund saw that he and Moore were on a collision course, he leaned backwards, while kneeling, putting him in a bad position. Moore saw that Naslund was going forwards and he was going sideways, so the only way to stop the speedier Naslund from getting by him is to hit him. He leaned in WITH HIS SHOULDER, and Naslund leaned backwards, which delayed the hit a split second.

Had Naslund just leaned into the hit, he would probably have bounced off with his shoulder. Instead, his head was at Moore's elbow height, and the forearm of Moore ended up hitting Naslund's head. Moore clearly did not leave his feet until after the collision, and his elbow clearly was tucked until after the hit.

To me, this is an interference penalty, worthy of two minutes, nothing more, nothing less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moorenaslund1.jpg‎ (40.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg moorenaslund2.jpg‎ (39.2 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg moorenaslund3.jpg‎ (40.6 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg moorenaslund4.jpg‎ (39.7 KB, 473 views)

Old
02-18-2004, 10:09 AM
st_roland

While I think you're right, the angle on these won't convince anyone who is dead set against the idea it was a clean hit.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

it's not a blatant elbow, going from those pictures

Old
02-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie

To me, this is an interference penalty, worthy of two minutes, nothing more, nothing less.
I agree...its definitly interference. Blown call by the refs there. But I dont recall interference penalties having a suspension punishment to go along with them. It was a clean hit. It sucks because I have Naslund on my fantasy team ( ), but I think it was clean.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:13 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
it's not a blatant elbow, going from those pictures
Yeh, I've reversed my stance on the hit now. If he wanted to actually injure Nasland, he would have not moved his leg away from Naslund's knee.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
While I think you're right, the angle on these won't convince anyone who is dead set against the idea it was a clean hit.
Looking at pics 3 and 4 again, I think Moore actually missed the open-ice hit he was going for. In pic 3, it looks like that was the intended time of collision, as far as Moore's point of view. The fact that Naslund leaned back threw the hit off, causing both players to go flying after the hit -- Naslund because he was on one knee, leaning backwards, and Moore because the impact was later than expected.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Yeh, I've reversed my stance on the hit now. If he wanted to actually injure Nasland, he would have not moved his leg away from Naslund's knee.

Good point. The biggest thing in my mind is Steve Moore's personality. He's far from a dirty player. He's a well-mannered Harvard kid who made the NHL more on work ethic than pure talent. Definitely not the type to try and "become part of history by injuring a star".

Old
02-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Zodiac

Really bothers me that Bertuzzi called Moore "a piece of garbage" ...and Burke said he was "a marginal player" when all he was doing was playing hard and finishing his checks. Ohya, May also saying "theres a bounty on him" is real nice too. Gimme a break.

Friggin babies.

Last edited by Zodiac: 02-18-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Old
02-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip
Ohya, May also saying "theres a bounty on him" is real nice too. Gimme a break.

Friggin babies.
Joe McGrath: "You can't put a bounty on a man's head!!!!"
Brad May: "I just did."
Joe McGrath: "We could all end up in the clinker for this!!!"

Sorry, I love Slapshot.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
And to think that just yesterday, I was an idiot for saying it wasn't an elbow or intentional.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Really bothers me that Bertuzzi called Moore "a piece of garbage" ...and Burke said he was "a marginal player" when all he was doing was playing hard and finishing his checks. Ohya, May also saying "theres a bounty on him" is real nice too. Gimme a break.

Friggin babies.
Finishing a check? He shouldn't have even started the check... Naslund didn't touch the puck.

Nice to hear all that stuff from the team actually, shows they've got some life in them after all... stuff that good rivalries are made of.

Betcha ya'll be watching the next game.

Edit: Pic

Last edited by Thalia: 02-18-2004 at 10:52 AM.
Old
02-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Finishing a check? He shouldn't have even started the check... Naslund didn't touch the puck.
You're right...but how many times does this exact thing happen in a hockey game? Sure, it was more physical than most interference plays, but it was still just interference.

Interference in hockey is like holding in football. It happens continuously throughout a game.

I understand the Canuck fans being upset that Naslund was hurt...but it simply wasnt a dirty play. And I am completely unbiased here. Hell...I am a Wings fan actually defending an Avs player. So you know I am being pretty objective here.

I just realized that...I am defending an Av?

Old
02-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Leetchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Betcha ya'll be watching the next game.
Agreed.

That said... how many times in a game does a player realize he's going to get beat by an opponent and takes a penalty for interference (or hooking, tripping, holding, anything) to keep the opponent from having a great scoring chance?

To me, this was just that. Moore opted to go for what would have been a good hit had Naslund had the puck. Since he didn't, the play should have been whistled down for interference. Let it go. Injuries happen.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
This doesn't look like a dirty hit to me, personally. Yeah, Higgy, I guess I am defending an Avs player too.

As far as putting a bounty on his head, yeah, watch out. The Avs have Worrell who could murder any person on that Canuck team. Even Bertuzzi....

So is Naslund out? For how long?

Old
02-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
I'm still waiting to see pics from the opposite angle, these pics are inconclusive to me.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Reign Nateo

It was dirty in my opinion because he was head hunting, Naslund didn't even have the puck, and he sticks out the elbow once he realizes Naslund's head is down.

But lets please move on, I'm sick of this topic. He's injured, but he'll be back. And Moore will be punished if he makes the Avs line-up. Those things are certanties so lets leave it at that.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Naslund really left himself open for that one - leaning in off-balance like that. Moore just laid into him, not much to say.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
After looking at the pics and Video Thalia posted, I do not think there was intent to injure on the play.

Naslund should not have leaned for the puck, otherwise he gets caught with a hit, not an elbow that was not lifted, but where it should have been for a check.

The one hand on the stick in attmept to push it past is a dumb play. Its as bad as skating with you head down or looking over you back for a pass. He left him self out to get creamed and paid the price. Its called physical hockey.

On the other hand, if the Nucks go after Moore in the next game, oh well, that what happens when you play that style. If you hit a guy expect to get hit back. They need to send the mesage they will not be pushed around, clean hit or dirty. Hopefully they do nothing more than take the body or drop the gloves, otherwise they would be a group of hypocrites for whining then taking cheap shots back. This play is and its retribution is a good example of wh ythe instigator rule need droped IMO.

Too bad Nazzy got hurt, because I love to watch him play, but by no means is it a cheap or dirty hit. If I was Moore I would have expected to see him skate to the puck and not lean in to poke at it as well.

Tiki

Old
02-18-2004, 12:17 PM
balddog66

As it looks to me, Moore should have had the puck before Naslund, but appears to have left it with the hit in mind all along, Naslund reaches for the puck and then gets hit hard, was there any talk of a butt end? Not sure where the blood came from?

Old
02-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Knucklez

Quote:

Friggin babies.

oh my god. Yeah, we're babies, the Canucks reacted in the exact same fashion that any other team in the league would have, had their star player just been sidelined by a cheap shot.

I don't know how anyone can argue from that clip. Moore could have just taken the puck and skated away, but instead, he saw that Naslund was on his knees, and he leened into his face with his shoulder.

Last edited by Knucklez: 02-18-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan

oh my god. Yeah, we're babies, the Canucks reacted in the exact same fashion that any other team in the league would have, had their star player just been sidelined by a cheap shot.

I don't know how anyone can argue from that clip. Moore could have just taken the puck and skated away, but instead, he saw that Naslund was on his knees, and he leened into his face with his shoulder.
I don't think he was calling Canuck fans babies...rather those who man the ship. Burke and Crawford have a history for whining on about things like this one, however the rarely remember that they ice dirty players like Cooke and Ruutu and other players like May and Bertuzzi who run their mouths about how they're gonna go after a guy because of the aforementioned borderline INTERFERRENCE. May's the biggest hippocrit of them all, his comments came only hours after blasting Derek Morris with a similar hit at the blueline. Except Morris was smart enough to keep his head up.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
I don't think he was calling Canuck fans babies...rather those who man the ship. Burke and Crawford have a history for whining on about things like this one, however the rarely remember that they ice dirty players like Cooke and Ruutu and other players like May and Bertuzzi who run their mouths about how they're gonna go after a guy because of the aforementioned borderline INTERFERRENCE. May's the biggest hippocrit of them all, his comments came only hours after blasting Derek Morris with a similar hit at the blueline. Except Morris was smart enough to keep his head up.
True, but Morris had the puck when May hit him, Naslund did not. I think that is the biggest beef people have with the hit, Moore made no action to go for the puck (which was very much playable for him) and deliberately tried to level Naslund who was in a vulnerable posistion and no where near the puck. And in IMO stuck his elbow out when he realized Naslund's head had dropped. I think most people are upset that a guy like Moore went out of his way, and away from the play to take the NHL's leading scorer out. Even without the elbow it's a cheap shot IMO.

If Naslund has the puck he keeps his head up (evident by the amount of head injuries and huge hits he has taken in his career: about zero).

BTW it's spelt "hypocrite" this isn't some animal in africa it's a noun! (just being an ass)

Old
02-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Umm...regardless of what part of his body struck Naslund, cut him and gave him a conc...it still looks to me (based on Thalia's little video thing) that Moore had no interest in the puck whatsoever and only had eyes for a huge open ice hit on Naslund (who didn't see Moore coming from his blind side and was concentrating on an open puck far up from him in the neutral zone). Isn't that the definition of head-hunting...I mean, Naslund DID NOT have the puck, so what point did Moore have for plowing him other then to destroy the leagues top scorer?

The hit was completely unecessary, Naslund was nowhere close to having any form of control and was barely in reaching distance of the puck and this dude plows him hard when he isn't looking in the neutral zone? I'm sorry, but that isn't a good hit to throw on the top scorer in the league.

If you look at it completely technically, it is just an interference call, but from that video it looks to me like Moore was only really interested in hitting Naslund and really nothing else on the ice. He was head-hunting a star player and it looks fairly obvious to me in that clip. He comes from basically across the ice, lines Naslund up (who doesn't have the puck) for about 4 feet and then plows him from the side when he's concentrating on the puck. That was intentional --- are you saying he accidently ran into Naslund in his attempt to pursue the puck? Sure as heck doesn't look like he was too interested in the puck to me.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:02 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Oh, this is gold.

A team with the likes of Brad May, Bryan Allen and Jarkko Ruutu wants to go and complain about borderline-legal hits. If that were Jim Cummins, Chris McAllister, Peter Worrell or even Peter Forsberg or Adam Foote, I'd say there's a bit of intent on the Avs player's side... but Steve Moore?

Steve friggin' Moore meant to take out Markus Naslund?

This Harvard graduate has waited four years to make the Avalanche and has done nothing but be a great bottom six forward thus far by finishing his legal hits and playing hard defensive hockey. I find it VERY hard to believe he went in there wanting to injure Naslund.

Let me ask you something.

If he really wanted to injure Naslund, wouldn't it have made more sense to NOT move his knee when Naslund reached forward? Surely a knee-on-knee collision is more likely to cause injury than a *LEGAL* shoulder hit.

It's a two-minute penalty for interference, and the only people crying about it are Canucks fans.

I didn't know Brian Burke gave out free pacifiers to Canucks fans.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Jacob

Folks, hockey is a contact sport. Moore doesn't need a reason to level someone, it should just be second nature.

If a "marginal player" has the opportunity to cleanly demolish one of the league's best, he takes it.

Closed Thread