HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pics of the Moore/Naslund hit

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 02:59 PM
t0mf00lery

vCash: 500
There is a thread about this on the Oilers' board if you want to check it out as well.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=53100&page=1

Old
02-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
There is a thread about this on the Oilers' board if you want to check it out as well.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=53100&page=1
Yeah, really refreshing to see how reasonable and fair that thread is. For those of you who didn't click on that lovely link, the thread title is 'More whining from Canuckleheads'. Lovely. Now tell me, Professor-Von-Holier-Than-Thou, if your star player was ran when he DID NOT HAVE THE PUCK, how would you feel?

Last edited by Free Torts: 02-18-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan

oh my god. Yeah, we're babies, the Canucks reacted in the exact same fashion that any other team in the league would have, had their star player just been sidelined by a cheap shot.

I don't know how anyone can argue from that clip. Moore could have just taken the puck and skated away, but instead, he saw that Naslund was on his knees, and he leened into his face with his shoulder.
The hit was no more dirty than say the Bertuzzi hit on Jackman. A bit of their own medicine, and the Canuck faithful get their pink panties all in a bunch.

Old
02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
Yeah, really refreshing to see how reasonable and fair that thread is. For those of you who didn't click on that lovely link, the thread title is 'More whining from Canuckleheads'. Lovely. Now tell me, Professor-Von-Holier-Than-Thou, if your star player was ran when he DID NOT HAVE THE PUCK, how would you feel?
Naslund doesn't even get touched when he does have complete control of the puck.

Imagine the bickering if Bertuzzi or Naslund went out for even 4-6 weeks, let alone a longer term injury

Old
02-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik20
Naslund doesn't even get touched when he does have complete control of the puck.

Imagine the bickering if Bertuzzi or Naslund went out for even 4-6 weeks, let alone a longer term injury
What does that have to do with anything? I wouldn't be complaining about the hit if it were legal. The puck was nowhere near him, Moore swatted it away and hit him. Interference.

Old
02-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Lyons71

That hit is Scott Stevensesque. It wasn't neccesary, but can't really be punished. It was a 'clean' hit.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
oh come on guys.... It's painfully obvious that Naslund didn't had the puck, and that Moore went head-hunting. Maybe Moore didn't thrown the biggest hit or elbow (I think that it was with his arm) on earth but he was still not interested in the puck and went intentially on Naslund. Was there an intent to injure? Well maybe not but it's not like if he tried to not hit the head. IMO it was a dangerous play and hitting a playing under those conditions is definitively not clean. Like I said it's not the dirtiest play but not a clean one.

Also, do you realize that Naslund is the best player in the NHL right now? The league cannot affroid to lose players like him.
Agree, and as far as I'm concerned let 'Marginal Moore' have his fifteen minutes of fame... when the dust settles, he'll be back to being a nobody where he belongs. It's not like people are lining up buying tickets to see Mr. Who?

Naslund will be back entertaining hockey fans (not just Canucks' fans) in no time and will pick up where he left off... a superstar.

Edit: OT, RIAL: That has to be the gayest avatar EVER! What happened to the cool black guy?

Last edited by Thalia: 02-18-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
The way I see it, I think he wanted to make a big open ice hit. Swing momentum a la Scott Stevens. That's why he didn't make a move for the puck. However, Naslund reached, which made the hit worse. If he had been standing up, both players would've bounced off each other(it's not like Moore's a giant). Granted, there still would've been response from the Canucks(hell, if you're not going to stand up for your captain/leading scorer when he gets decked, something's wrong with your team), but there wouldn't have been this kind of reaction. And yes, it still would have garnered an interference penalty because Moore made no play on the puck and interefered with Naslund getting to it.
Intent to injure? I don't think so. Trying to make a big hit? I think so. Cheap shot? Debatable. He was going for a hit and leaned in when he was going to miss. Could he have just gone by? Yeah, but that would mean Naslund would get the puck, so I guess until the reverse angle is shown(ie from what the benches saw), this debate will rage on.

However, that said, there is something to be said about the unwritten rules in the NHL. The one that says star players(the finesse ones), while not untouchable, shall not be manhandled. If Ruutu or May got walloped like that, it wouldn't be such a big deal. They play physical and have thrown the odd illegal elbow when no one was looking. But this was Naslund, a guy that threw his biggest bodycheck in a Nike commercial and gets around guys by dancing around them not plowing through them. There would be the same reaction if say Jason King deck Joe Sakic like that. King's a nice guy, he figures he can swing some momentum by giving an open ice hit and decks Sakic. If that happened like how Naslund got decked, reaction would be exactly the same. Sakic plays a similar game to Naslund, get around guys with the puck on a string, check guys by using quick hands. These kinds of guys put butts in seats and they're the ones that no one figures will be on the receiving end of a complete plastering. If they get decked, you better believe a teammate's gonna go after the hitter. Then the number will be taken and the next game it'll be settled. Is this kind of thing fair? Of course not. These guys play hockey, right? They should be able to take hits just like anyone else. But that's the way it is, whether you choose to believe it or not. The finesse guys do take hits, hell even Gretzky got hit, but big ones like that simply aren't supposed to happen unless the player is being stupid and looking down at a pass(see Paul Kariya in last year's SCF). It's the unwritten rules of the NHL. You play dirty, expect to get dirty stuff done to you. You play physical, expect big hits.

That's my view on things. If you want to ignore it because I'm a Canuck fan, go ahead.
Nice post!

I liked what Mike Keane said when he was interviewed the other day... something about the need to protect star players b/c that's who people pay to see. No one wants to have to pay to see "slugs like me". Honest but very true.

Taking off my Orca glasses: If the Leafs came to town, I'd be really disappointed if Sundin or Mogilny (oh and Roberts too but that's just b/c I like him) weren't in the lineup. Or if the Avs came, I'd be disappointed if Forsberg, Sakic or Hedjuk were out b/c some nobody/somebody sent them to the hospital, but that's just me.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Punished by who?

By *WHO*?

The Avs can throw out *THREE* heavyweights at any given time, and the Canucks don't have a single one. Please, let Brad May back up his talk by taking on Peter Worrell. I'd love to see the bloodbath that ensues.
Have you ever heard of Wade Brookbank?

Old
02-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker
The hit was no more dirty than say the Bertuzzi hit on Jackman. A bit of their own medicine, and the Canuck faithful get their pink panties all in a bunch.
Exactly the same way the Blues faithful got their "pink panties in a bunch" when Bertuzzi layed out Jackman. That's exactly my point, the Canucks reacted the way every team would when one of their stars is sidelined by a hit.

The difference between the hits is, Bertuzzi's was perfectly clean, whereas Moore's hit was blatant interferance.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
You're basically saying that the only reason you're declaring this hit illegal is because it was the Canucks' star player.

Suddenly, the actual hit means nothing and it's about what number is on their jerseys?

Hogwash.
Moore did what we as hockey players are trained to do... get a peice of the man.

He did it in a not so desireable fashion.

That said, I can't wait till players start taking real runs at Forsberg, Sakic and Kariya cause as you say, as long as it is legal, what is wrong with it?

Old
02-18-2004, 05:47 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
That said, I can't wait till players start taking real runs at Forsberg, Sakic and Kariya cause as you say, as long as it is legal, what is wrong with it?
Well, does Forsberg's concussion count? Or how about Sakic's seperated shoulder? Does Kariya's laid out should check by Steven's count? You're implication is that said stars in question haven't been subjected to hitting. In that, you'd be mistaken especially in leu of Forsberg's own concussion at that hands of a Canuck.

I don't blame Vancouver fans for being angry or the Nuck players extracting their own sort of revenge. It's hockey, that's the nature of it. I'm still all for removing the instigator rule even if Moore was run in this situation. If we had the instigator, then Rutuu wouldn't be undressing Forsberg or stealing his stick on the bench, and guys like Moore would think twice about clipping a guy like Naslund at that speed.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Miller259

Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
That's all fair enough, but as much speculation as anything any Canucks fan has said. He could have been doing what you said, or what I say. Only he knows, but I think your argument is a sound one. But I think you can see the frustration, picture the same hit but the player wearing 19 is Sakic and instead of 36, the other number is 37 (Ruutu) and I think you can see where I'm coming from.

Picture? What the hell are you talking about. Avsfans have put up with things like this being done to them year-in and out for the pasrt 2-3 years. I for one know I was God **** sick and pucking tired of seeing Forsberg and Tanger being fing hacked to death every game.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Miller259

Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
No I'm saying it was a borderline illegal hit, that shouldn't be drawing this much attention and the only reason it is is because Moore is a fringe player and Naslund leads the league in scoring, and any group of fans would react in the same manner.

You either don't care what people write or you have the worst reading comprehension ever. Maybe you read it the way you want it to sound?

I'm not going to get into a childish debate about this with you, so this is it: Nothing you say matters if Naslund didn't shy away from contact like a wussy. If it's Moore's fault for injuring Naslund, it's also Nassy's fault for not having his head up and not taking a hit to make the play, bottom line. I'm sorry he's injured, and I hope he returns as quickly as he can......but that's the bottom line. In the end, he injured himself.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Miller259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
That said, I can't wait till players start taking real runs at Forsberg, Sakic and Kariya

LMAO

Oh I LOVE how you make it sound like our guys haven't been touched for years.

-Instantly after reading your post I'm reminded of Forsberg being brutally elbowed by Norstrom (Dirty play, but hey, that's playoff hockey). All of that cheap half-dirty crap Willie Mitchell pulled off last season (Again, playoff hockey).

-I also remember how Sakic got targetted after his shoulder injury a season before that. It was no conincidence that players always kept trying to hit him from his right side (Pronger!). One menial hit and all the sudden you Nucks are going to target Avs players? What?? YOUR BOYS HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS!

......So what's the point.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Miller259

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I'm still all for removing the instigator rule even if Moore was run in this situation. If we had the instigator, then Rutuu wouldn't be undressing Forsberg or stealing his stick on the bench, and guys like Moore would think twice about clipping a guy like Naslund at that speed.

I don't know about the last sentence, but I certainly agree with the rest of the post wholeheartedly. Players should be allowed to stick up for their teammates and not get tossed out of the game. I saw Erskine get thrown out of a game just for standing up when Modano got plastered.....it was one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life!

Old
02-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Well, does Forsberg's concussion count? Or how about Sakic's seperated shoulder? Does Kariya's laid out should check by Steven's count? You're implication is that said stars in question haven't been subjected to hitting. In that, you'd be mistaken especially in leu of Forsberg's own concussion at that hands of a Canuck.

I don't blame Vancouver fans for being angry or the Nuck players extracting their own sort of revenge. It's hockey, that's the nature of it. I'm still all for removing the instigator rule even if Moore was run in this situation. If we had the instigator, then Rutuu wouldn't be undressing Forsberg or stealing his stick on the bench, and guys like Moore would think twice about clipping a guy like Naslund at that speed.
I agree 100% with you. If you have read my posts, I have said many times that I do not believe Moore intended to hurt of injure Naslund.

I said what I said because of the condescending and ignorant way in which RIAL always posts towards Canucks fans. I am one who did not over react, suprisingly.

The Canucks have had it good injury wise.

I am just saying there are a few posters who think everything is all peachy as long as the hit is clean. The Star players should be protected to a degree, as that is who we all pay to see... Not Steve Moore.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*

Maybe this will help in the discussion.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Knucklez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller259

-I also remember how Sakic got targetted after his shoulder injury a season before that. It was no conincidence that players always kept trying to hit him from his right side (Pronger!). One menial hit and all the sudden you Nucks are going to target Avs players? What?? YOUR BOYS HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS!

......So what's the point.
Just one thing, I see your point and everything and I agree with you, but don't generalize with the "all of the sudden you Nucks fans..." because its only a few people.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Miller259

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan
Just one thing, I see your point and everything and I agree with you, but don't generalize with the "all of the sudden you Nucks fans..." because its only a few people.

Sorry, I shold have specified I was talking about the actuall players on the Canucks. I think those guys are the real morons, they've been getting away with crap like that for years. Crawford knows it too!

Old
02-18-2004, 06:30 PM
punchy1

I didn't know that the Canucks had a Nortsrom. What is funny is that the Avs are acting like they have *never* had a player take dirty shots at anyone and the Nucks fans are doing the same. This barely questionable hit (I don't feel it were at all) was all part of contact that happened within a foot or so at most of the puck. It is too bad that Nassy (sad nicker that) got hurt as I like seeing the best players on the ice every night but, for either of you to act like your own lads don't go out of thier way to take runs at other teams players is laughable.

To say that MN "should be protected" from being hit is wrong. He should a, skate with his head up, b, be ready to be hit, c, be allowed the same protection from being hit outside of the rules as any other player should. There should be no special consideration for "star" players. That is rubbish. The rules are the rules.

All in, the reason we are seeing these injuries is due to GB's lame and sad watering down of the game. His running of the league has seen it turn into soccer on ice where fighting is dead wrong and will be mostly gone after this year when they make faceshields mandatory next year. Nothing would have changed on this hit as it were clean but, IF there were the same physical accountabillity that there used to be in the game where if you were to take liberties with a star player on another team you could count on being pounded to within an inch of your life and the chance that the same thing would happen to your own top lads, then these type of things wouldn't happen.

As it is, hits like this will not only continue (not that this one were wrong) but will happen with more and Moore frequency in the coming years. We can thank GB and his "nice" hockey for that. MN were trying to poke the puck past Moore and missed. Moore poked the puck and lowered his elbow while he brought it into his side hoping to hit MN as he touched the puck. The hit were clean and it is a pitty anyone got hurt.

Why Nucks fans are still whinning is beyond me. Now if you want to talk about the kneeing incident that Norton did to Hunter the other day and how he should be suspended (which he should) that is another story. This one is much ado about naught. Silly.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:34 PM
punchy1

I would also point out that Moore had stopped skating well before contact were made so the idea he charged him or had built up a head of steam and where trying to kill MN is silly. Moore did the right thing every step of that play. Now, I hope to god that when these two teams face eachother that they beat themselves senseless as I don't like either but, Moore made a play that were clean. If the shoe were on the other foot, the Nucks fans that are complaining would be defending the hit.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 753
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I would also point out that Moore had stopped skating well before contact were made so the idea he charged him or had built up a head of steam and where trying to kill MN is silly. Moore did the right thing every step of that play. Now, I hope to god that when these two teams face eachother that they beat themselves senseless as I don't like either but, Moore made a play that were clean. If the shoe were on the other foot, the Nucks fans that are complaining would be defending the hit.
If the shoe were on the other foot, Avs Fans would be complaining, and calling for someone's head.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1

Why Nucks fans are still whinning is beyond me.
Actually only one Canucks' fan made the original thread about the Naslund incident... the rest (including this one) were made by others.

Some of us have even stated that we would like to 'just get over it and move along' b/c Naslund will be back soon and this gives others a chance to step up and will probably be the make or break chance for Fedorov.

Another simple point that has been totally overlooked in all this banter is:

Canucks won!!

Old
02-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Miller259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
If the shoe were on the other foot, Avs Fans would be complaining, and calling for someone's head.

Not this one, I got rather used to it after their 1st meeting in the playoffs. Apparently, Crawford and his band of boys didn't think they could win by just playing the game. As a matter of fact, I think Vanvouver lost game 3 in overtime because bertuzzi "accidently" fell on top of Eric Messier.......the refs didn't think so and sent his **** to the sin-bin for 4 minutes (Messier was bleeding after all). Forsberg scored in overtime by the way.

Closed Thread