HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester Files For Arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I don't know... I wouldn't be suprised in the least bit if the cap went up again. Not that hockey is a huge sport in the US anymore, but it does continue to grow and last years playoffs was great for the game.
Was hockey ever that popular in the states? Hockey is very stable in the States from what i gather, in the fact that the youth system is very healthy. Highest number of registered players, plus players slowly coming from unorthodox areas. I never pay attention to figures much because they seem to vary from year to year alot.

The cap rising much more surely defeats the object of a salary cap. Aren't there several teams lower than the cap floor at the moment?

Old
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Was hockey ever that popular in the states? Hockey is very stable in the States from what i gather, in the fact that the youth system is very healthy. Highest number of registered players, plus players slowly coming from unorthodox areas. I never pay attention to figures much because they seem to vary from year to year alot.

The cap rising much more surely defeats the object of a salary cap. Aren't there several teams lower than the cap floor at the moment?
It was much more popular in the 70s and 80s, from what I gather and remember.

I believe ABC used to regularly show regular season games back then. Now when a network holds the NHL's U.S. TV contract they typically only show 6 regular season games, all on Saturday or Sunday afternoon when most people aren't watching. I was shocked to see NBC actually carry every game of the Stanley Cup Finals this year - they didn't begin coverage until game 4 last season, if I recall.

Old
07-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:

Hockey was actually extremely popular in the early 90s. I remember reading somewhere that it was either the 1st or 2nd most popular sport in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I was shocked to see NBC actually carry every game of the Stanley Cup Finals this year - they didn't begin coverage until game 4 last season, if I recall.
They started their coverage at game 3.

Old
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Hockey was actually extremely popular in the early 90s. I remember reading somewhere that it was either the 1st or 2nd most popular sport in the US.
Hockey was on an upswing in the early nineties before the work stoppage and dead puck era brought that to a screeching halt. Having said that, it would be disingenuous to suggest that hockey was #1 or #2 in the US.

#1 is football. Period.

#2 is baseball. Despite the continued, unintentional efforts of all parties involved to kill the sport, it is still an ingrained part of Americana.

#3 was still the NBA.

#4 was the NHL.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=346372

Old
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Hockey was on an upswing in the early nineties before the work stoppage and dead puck era brought that to a screeching halt. Having said that, it would be disingenuous to suggest that hockey was #1 or #2 in the US.

#1 is football. Period.

#2 is baseball. Despite the continued, unintentional efforts of all parties involved to kill the sport, it is still an ingrained part of Americana.

#3 was still the NBA.

#4 was the NHL.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=346372
Thanks for posting the link. Very informative. Maybe what I read was based on something else -- attendance, ratings, merchandise??

Old
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
It was much more popular in the 70s and 80s, from what I gather and remember.

I believe ABC used to regularly show regular season games back then. Now when a network holds the NHL's U.S. TV contract they typically only show 6 regular season games, all on Saturday or Sunday afternoon when most people aren't watching. I was shocked to see NBC actually carry every game of the Stanley Cup Finals this year - they didn't begin coverage until game 4 last season, if I recall.
All i know is i watched the Playoffs with commentary from Dave Strader! I had exams and the Finals the same week, which time zones equates to a difficult task!

The one thing i have never understood is how baseball is popular at all. I used to think NFL sucked before i started to watch it this year, but man Baseball is perhaps the most mundane sport i have ever watched. Do they play 365 games a year? At one point, i saw that the same two teams had played each other 7 times in a row during the regular season.

Isn't NBA also on the decline popularity wise as well?

I guess this is off topic, and indeed im sure somebody as a WHOLE NEW OUTLOOK on the Bouwmeester situation.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link. Very informative. Maybe what I read was based on something else -- attendance, ratings, merchandise??
Probably fan loyalty, and reported by a fanatic hockey devotee

Old
07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
All i know is i watched the Playoffs with commentary from Dave Strader! I had exams and the Finals the same week, which time zones equates to a difficult task!

The one thing i have never understood is how baseball is popular at all. I used to think NFL sucked before i started to watch it this year, but man Baseball is perhaps the most mundane sport i have ever watched. Do they play 365 games a year? At one point, i saw that the same two teams had played each other 7 times in a row during the regular season.

Isn't NBA also on the decline popularity wise as well?

I guess this is off topic, and indeed im sure somebody as a WHOLE NEW OUTLOOK on the Bouwmeester situation.
It's more interesting to talk about than the Bouwmeester arbitration right now, since that's not until sometime after July 20

Baseball I believe is 140-160 games for each team per season? Anyone got the exact number? But they also play double-headers and play sometimes 5 days a week - baseball players need less time off than hockey players since the sport's so undemanding physically.

I agree, it's a bore to watch - but then again, golf gets great ratings, and I'd much rather watch a baseball game. I can't stand American football, either, because of all the stop and wait and wait and wait and execute play then stop again and more waiting...if they'd just play the damn game, maybe I'd be able to be interested in it.

Basketball was on the decline several years ago, I know, but they've got a few new young stars finally and the decline may well have tailed off. I still find it dull, though I watch NCAA basketball a little at tournament time just to keep an eye on my bracket picks

Hockey's the only sport I watch, but it's hard to find time to watch a game, and I'm not that interested in Versus' coverage since they only cover one Panthers game a year.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
It's more interesting to talk about than the Bouwmeester arbitration right now, since that's not until sometime after July 20

Baseball I believe is 140-160 games for each team per season? Anyone got the exact number? But they also play double-headers and play sometimes 5 days a week - baseball players need less time off than hockey players since the sport's so undemanding physically.

I agree, it's a bore to watch - but then again, golf gets great ratings, and I'd much rather watch a baseball game. I can't stand American football, either, because of all the stop and wait and wait and wait and execute play then stop again and more waiting...if they'd just play the damn game, maybe I'd be able to be interested in it.

Basketball was on the decline several years ago, I know, but they've got a few new young stars finally and the decline may well have tailed off. I still find it dull, though I watch NCAA basketball a little at tournament time just to keep an eye on my bracket picks

Hockey's the only sport I watch, but it's hard to find time to watch a game, and I'm not that interested in Versus' coverage since they only cover one Panthers game a year.
140 games a year? I enjoy hockeys 82 games a year ... wait, im a Panther fan, its 82 days of Misery., but thats tedious to say the least.

I used to dislike American football, but its atcually quite awesome to watch if you are with friends. I also decided to support the Patroits 8 games into the season, i felt i could atleast support one successful American sports franchise.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:32 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:

Baseball is 162 games. 81 home, 81 away.

American Football is the greatest, along with hockey. Football is a religion to me, so come Sunday during football season, you cant get me away from the tv. From 11 am with the pregames until the end of the night game, its all football. There isnt too much waiting in football. The games move at a rapid speed, unlike baseball. Now that is a sport that the games last forever. Footballs will usually last 3 hours with all the stops, baseball can go 6 hours +. Now that is too much.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
140 games a year? I enjoy hockeys 82 games a year ... wait, im a Panther fan, its 82 days of Misery., but thats tedious to say the least.

I used to dislike American football, but its atcually quite awesome to watch if you are with friends. I also decided to support the Patroits 8 games into the season, i felt i could atleast support one successful American sports franchise.
Now how can you possibly support the Cheatriots. They are probably the most hated NFL franchise now. You have no clue the hatred I have for them.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
I cant stand Football... 100% hockey for me

Old
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Now how can you possibly support the Cheatriots. They are probably the most hated NFL franchise now. You have no clue the hatred I have for them.
Yeah, i really wanted to support the Cleveland Browns. I've always liked how they lose.

At my University (Where NFL is fairly popular, i think we had the best Uni team in the country last year) the Giants, Colts, Patriots and possibly Buccaneers are the popular teams. My friend supports the Steelers, so i had to naturally support a better team.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
http://www.miamiherald.com/623/story/599776.html

So, I hghlighted most of the article, but... They still want him to be locked up at least one more season and begin talks from there. He's looking for Phanuef money and he is unhappy with the team. Not saying necessarily that he doesn't want to stay.
I guess I should have trusted my original instinct, they say it's always the correct one. However, with Martin you never know, although it would be a slap in the face to the fans for him to say they aren't going to trade Bouw, and then trade him in less than two weeks.

I really hope something happens before the arbitration hearing though, either they resign him or trade him.

PS- It doesn't say he's unhappy with the team, only that he's never disputed that he's unhappy with the team. Not the same.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
PS- It doesn't say he's unhappy with the team, only that he's never disputed that he's unhappy with the team. Not the same.
I was going to point that out too. Is it unlike Bouw to not say anymore than he has to? Nope, it isn't.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Baseball is 162 games. 81 home, 81 away.

American Football is the greatest, along with hockey. Football is a religion to me, so come Sunday during football season, you cant get me away from the tv. From 11 am with the pregames until the end of the night game, its all football. There isnt too much waiting in football. The games move at a rapid speed, unlike baseball. Now that is a sport that the games last forever. Footballs will usually last 3 hours with all the stops, baseball can go 6 hours +. Now that is too much.
Your average baseball game is 3 hours as well - it's only when they go to extra innings that they drag on. But it's boring as hell.

"Johnson up to the plate...Yamataguchitisu looking for signals from the catcher...shakes off a couple...someone getting murdered in the stands...security's got him...there's the windup...and he tries to pick off Javez at first, but he gets back in time...you know, Jim, Javez leads the league in production for picking his nose while waiting for the pitch...there's the pitch! Ball 1...Javez tries to steal 2nd...and he's out. Javez also leads the league in getting picked off himself. Umpire's brushing off the plate...Johnson's ready...Johnson's got a .108 average so far this year and isn't likely to hit anything, but we'll wait while the pitcher runs up the count...aaaaaannnnnddd there's ball 2....

etc.

Football - sorry, out of a 3 hour game it seems to me that, first of all, 1 hour is just commercials, then since there's only one actual hour of playing time (just like the hockey games that take only 2 1/2 hours to play now with the speed-up rules, and they actually stop the clock between plays) that there's a hell of a lot of waiting. The worst part is all the time outs teams get - which is the same damn problem with basketball. When you're at the end of the game, suddenly each team is burning up all their timeouts in the last 2 minutes, stretching it out to half an hour. Can't stand that! Just end the damn game!!

But football - I watch once in a while as long as I can stand it...not much ever seems to happen. After all, once they start a play, there's about 10-20 seconds of action, but after that you've got 22 guys who have to get the instruction for the next play and then get into position. It just can't go that quickly - and the worst part is when a play's incomplete and they're just going back to where they started.

I don't have the attention span for that kind of thing.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
I guess I should have trusted my original instinct, they say it's always the correct one. However, with Martin you never know, although it would be a slap in the face to the fans for him to say they aren't going to trade Bouw, and then trade him in less than two weeks.

I really hope something happens before the arbitration hearing though, either they resign him or trade him.

This situation seems different than when their was speculation of olli possibly being traded . JM always said concerning jokinen , he could get move for the right price , if it was going to make the team better . But with Bouw it seems like he going to try everything he can to keep him , because he knows bouw is important to the teams future and for what their trying to build .

Old
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
I must've read it too fast.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
I was going to point that out too. Is it unlike Bouw to not say anymore than he has to? Nope, it isn't.
LOL. No, it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
This situation seems different than when their was speculation of olli possibly being traded . JM always said concerning jokinen , he could get move for the right price , if it was going to make the team better . But with Bouw it seems like he going to try everything he can to keep him , because he knows bouw is important to the teams future and for what their trying to build .
Yeah, it's obvious JM wants to try to hold on to Bouw as dearly as he can, and would definitely never consider trading him if he didn't have to. And, although it is impossible to read Martin, that is when it seems like he doesn't want anyone to be able to read him, like I said it would be a slap in the face to fans who could possibly now be expecting Bouw to be traded, to say now he won't be traded....and then turn around and trade him in less than two weeks. We'll have to see what happens I guess.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Yeah, i really wanted to support the Cleveland Browns. I've always liked how they lose.

At my University (Where NFL is fairly popular, i think we had the best Uni team in the country last year) the Giants, Colts, Patriots and possibly Buccaneers are the popular teams. My friend supports the Steelers, so i had to naturally support a better team.
Even if you would have said you supported the Jets, another team I absolutely hate, I could have cut you some slack, but not the Patsies. They stand for all that is evil.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Your average baseball game is 3 hours as well - it's only when they go to extra innings that they drag on. But it's boring as hell.

"Johnson up to the plate...Yamataguchitisu looking for signals from the catcher...shakes off a couple...someone getting murdered in the stands...security's got him...there's the windup...and he tries to pick off Javez at first, but he gets back in time...you know, Jim, Javez leads the league in production for picking his nose while waiting for the pitch...there's the pitch! Ball 1...Javez tries to steal 2nd...and he's out. Javez also leads the league in getting picked off himself. Umpire's brushing off the plate...Johnson's ready...Johnson's got a .108 average so far this year and isn't likely to hit anything, but we'll wait while the pitcher runs up the count...aaaaaannnnnddd there's ball 2....

etc.

Football - sorry, out of a 3 hour game it seems to me that, first of all, 1 hour is just commercials, then since there's only one actual hour of playing time (just like the hockey games that take only 2 1/2 hours to play now with the speed-up rules, and they actually stop the clock between plays) that there's a hell of a lot of waiting. The worst part is all the time outs teams get - which is the same damn problem with basketball. When you're at the end of the game, suddenly each team is burning up all their timeouts in the last 2 minutes, stretching it out to half an hour. Can't stand that! Just end the damn game!!

But football - I watch once in a while as long as I can stand it...not much ever seems to happen. After all, once they start a play, there's about 10-20 seconds of action, but after that you've got 22 guys who have to get the instruction for the next play and then get into position. It just can't go that quickly - and the worst part is when a play's incomplete and they're just going back to where they started.

I don't have the attention span for that kind of thing.
There are alot of times you get a very quick game, sometimes they last only 2 and a half hours. Those are the best kind. It does get boring after a while, I agree, but when its a fast paced game, theres nothing wrong with it. However, the shaking off pitches, calling timeout or stepping out of the box, the constant fixing the gloves after each pitch does get irritating. The pointless throwovers to 1st base do get annoying as hell too. Even when a team has no reason to steal whatsoever, and wont anyway, even when he has a 3 step lead off the bag, he will still throw over. There are some parts of baseball that they can do away with, but overall, its great.

As for football, its a BIG moneymaker. I think the NFL has the biggest following of any of the sports. There are soooo many fanatics out there, just like me, who cant get enough football. Even though when all is said and done and the whole 3 hour section that belongs to a game is over, it really doesnt feel like 3 hours at all. Dont forget, football is the most physical game of the 4 major sports, so its takes more out of you. Timeouts arent a problem. Each team only gets 3 per game so they use them wisely, well at least most of the time. Timeouts usually dont waste too much time. You do still have the ones where the QB lines up behind center and doesnt like how the defense is set up or they cant play snapped so their forced to use one. The challenges however, they do last longer than they should, but are important.

Again with football, its the biggest field and the most playing room, so when your going at full speed and run a specific play that takes you 20 yards downfield, it does take a few seconds to get back. Plus, thats why they have the 35 second play clock between plays. Not to mention, with fantasy football and gambling, it really seems like the games fly.

Basketball, I agree with you. Especially at the end of each quarter, then between the fouls, and timeouts, that is just brutal. That I cant stand.

For me, its football and hockey all the way. Speaking of which, I really cant wait for both seasons to start. Only 1 month until NFL preseason begins.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Even if you would have said you supported the Jets, another team I absolutely hate, I could have cut you some slack, but not the Patsies. They stand for all that is evil.
I just hope Brady's female object was severly disappointed with him.

You disappoint me in a large way too. You like baseball. Thus, it must be derived that you hate life.

Last edited by J17 Vs Proclamation: 07-10-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old
07-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Speaking of big fields, that brings up the other football, soccer.

This is a game that could be interesting if it weren't for the fields being so damned big.

They could shrink a soccer field by half (in square footage, make it proportionally half the size) and then shrink the net a bit as well - perhaps to 75% of what it is now - and then allow players to move around a bit more instead of forcing them to stick to a narrow position. That could lead to a more interesting game. As it is now, I find it impossible to watch - it simply takes too long to get the ball from one end of the field to the other.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:57 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
I just Brady's female object was severly disappointed with him.

You disappoint me in a large way too. You like baseball. Thus, it must be derived that you hate life.
Sorry bro, its Americas pastime. Of course Im going to like it. However, football and hockey are my 2 favorites.

Old
07-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Rattrick

I had no feelings either way for soccer and made an attempt to get into it during last world cup. As a result of the constant diving, I have vowed to never watch another soccer game in my life.

What a disgrace it was seeing athletes embarrass themselves like that. I watched a 0-0 game and in penalty time a guy dives, gets a free kick scores and wins. So what is that saying? The team that dove the best won.

Closed Thread