HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester Files For Arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2008, 12:22 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
The additions of Ballard and Boynton are supposed to compliment Bouw. Like others have said, we need a good defenseman coming back if Bouw leaves. If we don't, we're in trouble.

We have a Ryno who is a huge question mark at the moment. According to GP, we have the same player in Boynton and Skras. Smurf gets pushed around. Scoring is nice but without Bouw -- who also scored 27 goals the last two years -- our defense would be on the same level as Tampa's. Bouw is the one that makes our defensive corp a good one. This is why it would be very important to acquire a solid defenseman in return.

-ghoste
Like someone said earlier, if we trade Bouw we wont be getting a D man that is around his level, it would be similar to what we have. We could get a top line scorer and still have a defense that will step in. Again, you cant win if you dont score.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Georgia Panther

A Center has to be the centerpiece of a Bouw trade. That's the biggest hole in the Panthers right now. I just don't get why people want or think they can get a top defenseman for Bouw. Why would the other team do that? The reason to acquire Bouwmeester would be to upgrade their blueline. They wouldn't send anything close to Bouwmeester in return. What you would get is another Ballard, another Boynton, another Skrastins. Guess what, we already have those players in numbers. What JM should be looking for is a team with an excess amount of scoring line centers in need of a top of a line blueliner. That's the match for a Bouwmeester trade.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
If Philly gave us Carter and JVR I'd wave him goodbye

Old
07-06-2008, 12:50 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
A Center has to be the centerpiece of a Bouw trade. That's the biggest hole in the Panthers right now. I just don't get why people want or think they can get a top defenseman for Bouw. Why would the other team do that? The reason to acquire Bouwmeester would be to upgrade their blueline. They wouldn't send anything close to Bouwmeester in return. What you would get is another Ballard, another Boynton, another Skrastins. Guess what, we already have those players in numbers. What JM should be looking for is a team with an excess amount of scoring line centers in need of a top of a line blueliner. That's the match for a Bouwmeester trade.
Exactly my point and now that I hear PHI has a strong interest, I would work on a package centered on Carter.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
If Philly gave us Carter and less than JVR I would drive him to the airport. Bouwmeester, Kreps (because Philly would need a third line center this year) for Carter and a first round draft choice. Of course I would do the Ottawa deal instead of that one but A.You then have to sign 2 RFA's to long term contracts which might not be the easiest thing to do and B. I just can't see JM doing a deal with Ottawa.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:55 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
Now that is a home run deal.

Old
07-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Laus723
Future Now

It's apparent that Bouw wants to move on. If that's the case, as I've said before, then so be it. He'll move on and be a top defenseman in the NHL and could be a Norris winner. It was great to have him and watch him develop. There are things I don't like about him, but they're things I don't like about a lot of players. There are a lot of teams who lose top players, like Briere, Drury, Gomez, Campbell, etc. to name only a few. Would obviously be a lot smarter to move Bouw for a nice package than to let him just walk.

Hopefully, when teams find out Bouw's available, a bidding war starts and we come out ahead in this deal. I'm really hoping this is a 'give to get' type situation. I felt that when Martin got two (well, three) defensemen for Olli that it was in his mind to move Bouw. I'd like to see a top forward and defenseman come back in return. Vermette and Meszaros (and apparently +) would make me VERY happy. I'd also like Carter/Lupul/ and Coburn perhaps from Philly. With Matthias possibly making the team, I'd like to see a top winger come in.

Of course I would, I'm a fan of this team and am a greedy *******. I want the most for Bouw. One thing's sure, this will be a new team next season.

07-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Now that is a home run deal.
That's the kind of return I want. Why settle for less when we're trading a future Norris candidate?

The problem with Philly is that they are over the cap as is. So we would have to take salary. I looked at the thread on their board and they have been mentioning Carter, Lupul, and also Gagne as players that they would move in the deal to save salary. Prospect wise I would really want JVR coming to us even if it meant we had to add something else to our side.

Old
07-06-2008, 01:55 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
That's the kind of return I want. Why settle for less when we're trading a future Norris candidate?

The problem with Philly is that they are over the cap as is. So we would have to take salary. I looked at the thread on their board and they have been mentioning Carter, Lupul, and also Gagne as players that they would move in the deal to save salary. Prospect wise I would really want JVR coming to us even if it meant we had to add something else to our side.
But is he really a Norris candidate??? He's a top pairing defenseman, but he is not in the same league as Lidstrom, Pronger, Nieds, etc. He may never reach that eschelon either. I think sometimes we tend to overvalue our players. Yes, defensemen are at a premium, but I think Carter & JRV is absolutely a solid deal and so is Mezaros/Vermette. Bouwmeester is 1 year away from UFA status too, so I could see the pick being conditional on his re-signing.

Old
07-06-2008, 01:58 PM
zeroG

Quote:
I dont think he will go ALL offense in a trade with Jay, but offense would be the MAIN part of it. With the rumors now involving the Flyers, if we could get a package centered around Jeff Carter, I would be all over that. Even the package rumored from OTT of Vermette and Meszaros is a decent one, but a trade would be a combination.
and i completely disagree. a big offensive peice would like nice but not at the expense of the defensive return.

Quote:
Like someone said earlier, if we trade Bouw we wont be getting a D man that is around his level, it would be similar to what we have. We could get a top line scorer and still have a defense that will step in. Again, you cant win if you dont score.
here again is a fundamental difference in our opinion - the problem with the team last year was first and foremost DEFENSE. we do not have a defense capable of starting the offense and shutting down the opponent without jay (and with nobody else coming back). yes, we won't get another jay coming back to us but a guy like meszaros could fill out the defense suitably. we'd still have questions, imo, but you can imagine building a very solid defense around ballard and meszaros. and vermette, in this scenario, also returns some scoring. there are still questions - does someone like vermette bring enough finish to consistenly produce on the top 2 lines with our Fs? don't know, but i'd like to see how that would work out.

Old
07-06-2008, 02:18 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
does someone like vermette bring enough finish to consistenly produce on the top 2 lines with our Fs? don't know, but i'd like to see how that would work out.
I'd say yes, the last couple of years he's managed to put up decent points playing on the third line with Chris Neil and Chris Kelly. Kelly is known for his hands of stone (missing GREAT scoring opportunities) and Chris Neil isn't known for being an offensive dynamo either. If you've looked up some of Vermette's highlight reel goals, you'll see a good portion of them are on individual efforts, which he does quite well. He can still play with good line mates though, he had a short stint with Stillman and was fantastic. They were broken up later in the year due to injuries and other depth problems.

Old
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
But is he really a Norris candidate??? He's a top pairing defenseman, but he is not in the same league as Lidstrom, Pronger, Nieds, etc. He may never reach that eschelon either. I think sometimes we tend to overvalue our players. Yes, defensemen are at a premium, but I think Carter & JRV is absolutely a solid deal and so is Mezaros/Vermette. Bouwmeester is 1 year away from UFA status too, so I could see the pick being conditional on his re-signing.
Those three guys are a lot older. Lidstrom is 38, Pronger is 33, and Niedermayer is 34. Bouw will be 25 in September. He has a lot of time to get to that level. He's not even in his prime yet. This doesn't mean that I think he should make more money than them either. If his camp is looking for $8 or $9 million, that sux.

I still want to get Bouw re-signed, nothing above $7 million. If it comes out that he truly doesn't want to be here, then we have to do what we have to do. But until then, I'm hoping they can still come to terms.

-ghoste

Old
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
That's exactly what we're looking for. Another Ballard=Meszaros. It gives us another very good defenseman. If we don't get a defenseman back, we will be severely downgrading our defense from last year. In essence, you have replaced Bouw with Ballard, which will equal disaster. At least if we get someone like Meszaros back, that helps shoulder a good deal of the loss of Bouwmeester. Then you get Vermette also, who I think can be 60-65 pt. scorer. Plus maybe something else? That's a great deal. That's the type of deal we need. We get two good balanced scoring lines, and also still keep a good defense together. That's the ideal trade in this situation.

Old
07-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Those three guys are a lot older. Lidstrom is 38, Pronger is 33, and Niedermayer is 34. Bouw will be 25 in September. He has a lot of time to get to that level. He's not even in his prime yet. This doesn't mean that I think he should make more money than them either.

I still want to get Bouw re-signed. If it comes out that he truly doesn't want to be here, then we have to do what we have to do. But until then, I'm hoping they can still come to terms.

-ghoste
Bouw is better now at his age than Pronger or Niedermayer were.

Old
07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Gp, Ballard is a fine defenseman. Getting someone like him plus would be a fine return. Like the rumoured Ottawa deal.

Old
07-06-2008, 02:59 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Gp, Ballard is a fine defenseman. Getting someone like him plus would be a fine return. Like the rumoured Ottawa deal.
agreed if bouw is traded we need a d-man back and mezeros would be fine. and if rumored that martin does have a hardon for vermette he'd prob. be able to lock him up long term

remember as of right now bo,boyntn,skrats are all UFA's next season and who knows if van ryn will ever return to form and mst likely he'll be dealt for a pick or prospect.

so that leaves us with allen,ballard,welch with the possibility of ellerby being ready to play 5-6 dman minutes. maybe not sure how he's developing.

Old
07-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
agreed if bouw is traded we need a d-man back and mezeros would be fine. and if rumored that martin does have a hardon for vermette he'd prob. be able to lock him up long term

remember as of right now bo,boyntn,skrats are all UFA's next season and who knows if van ryn will ever return to form and mst likely he'll be dealt for a pick or prospect.

so that leaves us with allen,ballard,welch with the possibility of ellerby being ready to play 5-6 dman minutes. maybe not sure how he's developing.
that defense actually doesn't seem that bad to me, assuming meszaros would be part of the return for bouwmeester. it's young, but you save some money in the process and might be able to add a veteran defensman via trade or ufa. those 3 guys likely free up $12 million or so in the budget ($7 mil for Jay, $3mil for Boynton, $2.5 for Skrastins) while it will only cost about $4mil to lock up Meszaros...that leaves $8 mil to play with in the 09-10 offseason.

meszaros-allen
??-ballard
ellerby-welch for 2009-20010...or you could always re-sign boynton or skrastins for cheaper if ellerby is not ready for full time nhl duty by then. i've seen far worse....the short term and long term situation of our defense doesn't look that bad even with bouwmeester out of the picture (assuming, of course, he is reasonably replaced by someone such as meszaros)

Old
07-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
I prefer the Ottawa deal, I just think it more likely a deal with Philly could be done. They have the excess of centers, Carter is already signed for 3 years and Philly doesn't have a history of ill feeling with JM.

Old
07-06-2008, 03:27 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
that defense actually doesn't seem that bad to me, assuming meszaros would be part of the return for bouwmeester. it's young, but you save some money in the process and might be able to add a veteran defensman via trade or ufa. those 3 guys likely free up $12 million or so in the budget ($7 mil for Jay, $3mil for Boynton, $2.5 for Skrastins) while it will only cost about $4mil to lock up Meszaros...that leaves $8 mil to play with in the 09-10 offseason.

meszaros-allen
??-ballard
ellerby-welch for 2009-20010...or you could always re-sign boynton or skrastins for cheaper if ellerby is not ready for full time nhl duty by then. i've seen far worse....the short term and long term situation of our defense doesn't look that bad even with bouwmeester out of the picture (assuming, of course, he is reasonably replaced by someone such as meszaros)
no i totally agree but what i'm saying we need someone like mezaros or similar in a return deal for bo cuz without one that only leaves ballard and allen under contract for next season.

Old
07-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post

meszaros-allen
??-ballard
Would likely be:
Mez-Allen
Ballard-Ellerby
Welch-???

In fact, if Bouw is shipped, I'd try to get hard after Smith if I were Martin. Imo, Ryno and Smurph should be moved out. I'd rather see Welch or Cullimore make the team. And Johansson over Murphy.

Last edited by Laus723: 07-06-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old
07-06-2008, 03:59 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Would likely be:
Mez-Allen
Ballard-Ellerby
Welch-???
i don't know how ellerby is developing would u say he's a year away though i was thinking possibly 2

Old
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
i don't know how ellerby is developing would u say he's a year away though i was thinking possibly 2
Good point, I dunno. I'm sure it will have to depend on how he does this next season. I think they could be great partners, though.

Old
07-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Biggzy*

Ellerby is probably not going to be ready to play next season. Plus we already have like 38 defenseman that could be on the roster for next season. I'm more interested in what forwards will be making the team.

Old
07-06-2008, 04:22 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Ellerby is probably not going to be ready to play next season. Plus we already have like 38 defenseman that could be on the roster for next season. I'm more interested in what forwards will be making the team.
we are talking about next next season.

and as far as fowards for this season i'm guessing if we're done it'll look something like this which is sad and scary

booth-weiss-horton
olesz-matthias-stillman
mcclean-kreps-zednik
belak/pelt-campbell-dvo

very very sad

Old
07-06-2008, 04:39 PM
zeroG

Quote:
we are talking about next next season.

and as far as fowards for this season i'm guessing if we're done it'll look something like this which is sad and scary

booth-weiss-horton
olesz-matthias-stillman
mcclean-kreps-zednik
belak/pelt-campbell-dvo

very very sad
on its own, yeah - it's a bit scary. i don't believe that's what it will end up being, tho (nobody really does, do they?) and everyone is neglecting to factor in (if we Fs stay as is and we ice a D corps including ballard and jay) the potential increase in offensive production from the defense AND the fact that we likely would improve SA/GA significantly. i don't think that can be discounted.

Closed Thread