HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Type of team Kevin Lowe is trying to make

Old
07-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Luongo4VP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I agree with your points for the most part, the Flames hardly have a tonne of players coming through the system and Sutter & his crew's penchant for drafting guys like Ryley Grantham is alarming to say the least.

However, I will defend Curtis McElhhiney to the death, , he is better than just a good AHL goalie, he's was an allstar, and was solid in his NHL career thus far (read: last season), Keenan and Sutter were panicked about him as back up for no reason, he has done nothing but prove himself as a solid goalie that will be a nice NHL backup or even a 1a/1b kinda guy IMO.

But I'm a big fan.
Nice, I appreciate your support, are you a Flames fan?

Because if you are, wow you are my Favorite flames fan on HF.

If you're an Oilers fan, all the better

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:08 PM
victor

Quote:
I agree with your points for the most part, the Flames hardly have a tonne of players coming through the system and Sutter & his crew's penchant for drafting guys like Ryley Grantham is alarming to say the least.

However, I will defend Curtis McElhhiney to the death, , he is better than just a good AHL goalie, he's was an allstar, and was solid in his NHL career thus far (read: last season), Keenan and Sutter were panicked about him as back up for no reason, he has done nothing but prove himself as a solid goalie that will be a nice NHL backup or even a 1a/1b kinda guy IMO.

But I'm a big fan.
I think that Curtis is one of the good ones. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and takes everything in stride.

Looking at his stats, I see him and Jeff Deslauriers as good comparables.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Flames have a great pool of young players. Right now, the players that I reasonably expect will be playing for them 25 and under include:

Dion Phaneuf (23) - Star player, $6.5m defenseman
Curtis Glencross(25) - Pencilled in on the fourth line in Edmonton (and unlikely to unseat Moreau, much less Nilsson, Cole, or Penner. Good player, could get top six minutes in Calgary.
Kyle Greentree(24) - Best pickup of the off season by the Flames. 24 goals in 72 games for the Phantoms last year. Big kid, will likely make the big squad.
Curtis McElhinney(25) - 5 games in the NHL last season, with a good .902 save percentage (AHL 41gp, .911sv). Will see more games this season, should be interesting to watch - good comparable to JD Deslaurier (AHL 57gp, .912sv)

After that, it gets ugly.

Mark Giordano (24) - Held out in Russia last year. 4g-9a-13pt-50g. Comparable production to Josef Hrabal (3g-10a-13pt) although Hrabal's nearly 2 years younger.
Eric Nystrom(25) - Played with Calgary last season, 3g-7a-10pts in 44 games. According to hockeydb, his career high in goals is 18, in his first year at Michigan (2001-2002.)
Brandon Prust (24) - Played 10 games in 2006-2007 for the Flames, with JF Jacques results (0-0-0) 10 goals last year in QC. Underwhelming results, to say the least.

The Flames may also have players like Hugo Carpentier, Dan Ryder, Chris Chucko, or John Armstrong play for them this season. One thing is for certain, if NHL caliber Flames suffer the injury bug that the Kings, Canucks, and Oilers have in the past, they're going to find it difficult to score goals.
I'm sorry but if Glencross is possibly counted on for top six minutes in Calgary this year, something will have gone horribly wrong imo. He's a 3rd liner "at best" but a great 4th liner. I will admit that I wish we signed him but if anyone even joked about him getting top 6 minutes for the Oilers I would have been throwing out the red flags in a hurry.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
We are much quicker then last year, the three players on the squad who actually lack solid mobility (Greene,Stoll and to some extent Torres) were all shipped out. We replaced them all with very fast players (Cole,Visnovsky and Brule)

Pitkanen was a loss, but Visnovksy can replace his speed. Smid can replace Greens toughness, Cole can replace Torres (This cannot even be a comparison) and Brule brings all that Stoll does Minus the faceoffs and Leadership.
HaHa that's awesome, and I totally agree with you. I Love the direction that Smid has went in the last few years. I think he is going to come to camp bigger tougher and meaner than many would think. I am looking forward to seeing what the "Summer of Smid" is going to bring to the table this year!

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:16 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King4aday View Post
I'm sorry but if Glencross is possibly counted on for top six minutes in Calgary this year, something will have gone horribly wrong imo. He's a 3rd liner "at best" but a great 4th liner. I will admit that I wish we signed him but if anyone even joked about him getting top 6 minutes for the Oilers I would have been throwing out the red flags in a hurry.
Believe me, everyone will be watching Glencross very carefully. I wouldn't doubt that he gets a rough ride when playing the Oil. He went through the all the motions of saying how much he loved playing for the team, then...

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:17 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King4aday View Post
From my "pacing" posting, Glencross may be the best fit in the top six for the Flames right now:

Cammilleri(24) - Langkow(30) - Iginla(50)
Glencross(19) - Lombardi(14) - Boyd(11)
Bourque(13) - Conroy(12) - Moss(8)
Nystrom(5) - Primeau(5) - Prust(4)

That said - while I like Glencross, I see him getting 15g next season (pretty close to his career pace.) He could slump, however, in the slump that posters at CP "guarantee" will hit Gagner, Cogliano, Brodziak, Gilbert, Nilsson, and any other Oiler that they can plaster "sophmore" on.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Red Deer Rebel

The idea that Iginla is going to score 50 again is wishful thinking. He flourished the last 2 years, and put up 94 and 98 points respectively. This just happens to coincide with the times Alex Tanguay and Kristian Huselius were on the Flames.

Prior to that he was good for about 70 points (the one exception being the 2001-02 season).

Nobody knows how Cammalleri will fit in. A reasonable estimate for Iginla is 35 goals, and 70 points.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:22 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
From my "pacing" posting, Glencross may be the best fit in the top six for the Flames right now:

Cammilleri(24) - Langkow(30) - Iginla(50)
Glencross(19) - Lombardi(14) - Boyd(11)
Bourque(13) - Conroy(12) - Moss(8)
Nystrom(5) - Primeau(5) - Prust(4)

That said - while I like Glencross, I see him getting 15g next season (pretty close to his career pace.) He could slump, however, in the slump that posters at CP "guarantee" will hit Gagner, Cogliano, Brodziak, Gilbert, Nilsson, and any other Oiler that they can plaster "sophmore" on.
Before Glencross was traded to the Oilers he had a career pace? News to me.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
The idea that Iginla is going to score 50 again is wishful thinking. He flourished the last 2 years, and put up 94 and 98 points respectively. This just happens to coincide with the times Alex Tanguay and Kristian Huselius were on the Flames.

Prior to that he was good for about 70 points (the one exception being the 2001-02 season).

Nobody knows how Cammalleri will fit in. A reasonable estimate for Iginla is 35 goals, and 70 points.
You're trying too hard.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
I think the abuse Phaneuf takes anywhere is underlined with obvious jealousy. I don't really think he should have been a Norris candidate, it's not a shot at him, but half my hatred of Phaneuf and all my hatred for Iginla is that they aren't on the Oilers.

It's not hate a guy the minute he joins the Flames and then post on their board, "I don't think Cammalleri is too happy to be playing in a city full of racist hicks"....

(I mean that in jest, an example, not a flaming thing - I can't afford to lose my beautiful Eric Lindros avatar for another month, just saying unfounded backhanded slaps for no reason towards the city)
This is as far as I've got sofar......
AMEN!! On this post brother!

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:

I do agree with you to an extent here.

Before his breakout seasons after playing close to 10 seasons in the league (90 points consecutively) he was not a GOD like everyone makes him out to be.

He had a lucky year in 2001-2002 by scoring 96 points, just like Pisani had a lucky postseason scoring 15 goals in 06. If you count his numbers and average them over the first 9 out of 11 years in the league, I was SHOCKED, he only averaged 65 points in the first 9/11 years.

Ales Hemsky has averaged 75 points over the last 3 seasons if healthy.

And Flames fans thinking Iginlas the best player in the world

Old
07-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
You're trying too hard.
How so? Replacing Kristian Huselius on the PP with Rene Bourque or Curtis Glencross may make sense in Calgary.

Most others would understand this is a bit of a problem.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
This is as far as I've got sofar......
AMEN!! On this post brother!
I am still going to say he gets 80+ points, but I dont think he will break 90 again, maybe never again in his career.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:39 PM
the word*

Iginla is a super star, anyone trying to dispute that is out to lunch.

The only problem I have with Iggy is that too much of the teams on ice resources goes towards keeping him in that category. People who know the makeup of hockey systems are aware of this.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
How so? Replacing Kristian Huselius on the PP with Rene Bourque or Curtis Glencross may make sense in Calgary.

Most others would understand this is a bit of a problem.
*** are you talking about, Bourque is the SH**

Old
07-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Iginla is a super star, anyone trying to dispute that is out to lunch.

The only problem I have with Iggy is that too much of the teams on ice resources goes towards keeping him in that category. People who know the makeup of hockey systems are aware of this.
Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner will be superstars, anyone trying to dispute that is out to lunch.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner will be superstars, anyone trying to dispute that is out to lunch.
havent read through the thread but if above is true then i must be out to lunch

let these 2 break the 100 point mark before declaring them superstars.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:44 PM
the word*

Quote:
Hemsky, and an 18 year old Gagner have a long way to go to catch up to Iginla.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
victor

Since 2000-2001, the median average number of goals scored by Jarome Iginla is 40.4, with a standard deviation of 7.9. He could score 50 or more next year (as he did in 2001-2002 and 2005-2006,) or 35 (as he did in 2002-2003 and 2005-2006.)

I would expect that he'll have a good year, but based on his history, and the team playing with him, not a career year next year. I see him getting around 40-45g, with new players (Cam./new 2nd liners) taking time to adjust to their surroundings.

If I were Sutter - I'd be hunting for goal scoring from the wings. Hard to say what he could get without giving up any assets, however. Owen Nolan?

Old
kruezer

Quote:
Nice, I appreciate your support, are you a Flames fan?

Because if you are, wow you are my Favorite flames fan on HF.

If you're an Oilers fan, all the better
I am a Flames fan of course (one that just applied for a job with the Oilers )

I could see Glencross scoring at a decent clip just given more PT this year than he has had in the past, much like when Shean Donovan scored 20 goals for the Flames.

In the end, Sutter had to change things somehow though, they did jack-**** the past three years in the POs, maybe bringing it back to a low scoring defensive team filled with guys that aren't expected to do much will be better.

At least everyone that is in Calgary seems excited about being there. And they certainly have some nice top end talent that I know Keenan will ride anyway.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Luongo4VP

Quote:
But when both are 27-28, they will establish themselves as superstars.

Its like saying Dion Phaneuf doesn't have the potential to be as good as Rob Blake, yes he does, he has the potential to be better.

Old
07-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Matador

To answer the original question I see the Oilers going in the direction of a high offense, low defense team. I wouldn't be surprised to see a GF/GA of 3.18/3.0 next season. Maybe goals against will go down with a healthy Horcoff, a 2 way player in Cole, Visnovsky's underrated defensive game, a full year of Pisani/Moreau and rookies who should put on a little more muscle.

As for Iginla scoring 50 goals next year, I don't think it will happen. 07/08 was a career year.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
I am a Flames fan of course (one that just applied for a job with the Oilers )

I could see Glencross scoring at a decent clip just given more PT this year than he has had in the past, much like when Shean Donovan scored 20 goals for the Flames.

In the end, Sutter had to change things somehow though, they did jack-**** the past three years in the POs, maybe bringing it back to a low scoring defensive team filled with guys that aren't expected to do much will be better.

At least everyone that is in Calgary seems excited about being there. And they certainly have some nice top end talent that I know Keenan will ride anyway.
We also have great guys that can all play well in the top six like:

Horcoff
Cogliano
Penner
Cole
Schremp
Brule
Nilsson

What the hell do the flames have?

We have some some great top-end talent also coming up here in Oil Country.

Phaneuf is their only young talent, Kipper is a superstar who is declining slowly and Iginla is already in his low 30's, he wont be a good player after another 3-4 years.

Hemsky is a PPG player whose not even hit his prime yet, Gagners a 18 year old sensation.

The Flames keep aging and declining and the Oil just keep improving

Old
07-05-2008, 11:58 PM
victor

Quote:
In the case of Gagner, about 13 years.

Iginla's a 31 year old power forward, and at (or past?) his peak. Gagner is a talented rookie. Hemsky is around the same age that Iginla was when he began to turn into a star.

Iginla's a great player, and it's easy to tell - playing his career with the Langkow's and Conroy's. You've got to wonder where he would be if he was playing with a Thorton.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
To answer the original question I see the Oilers going in the direction of a high offense, low defense team. I wouldn't be surprised to see a GF/GA of 3.18/3.0 next season. Maybe goals against will go down with a healthy Horcoff, a 2 way player in Cole, Visnovsky's underrated defensive game, a full year of Pisani/Moreau and rookies who should put on a little more muscle.

As for Iginla scoring 50 goals next year, I don't think it will happen. 07/08 was a career year.
Lets See what Jaromes average points in 11 seasons now is.

If we pro-rate his stats to 82 games every year in his career, he still only ends up with an average of 74 points in 11 seasons played.