HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Type of team Kevin Lowe is trying to make

Old
07-06-2008, 12:07 AM
victor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
I am a Flames fan of course (one that just applied for a job with the Oilers )

I could see Glencross scoring at a decent clip just given more PT this year than he has had in the past, much like when Shean Donovan scored 20 goals for the Flames.
Thanks for posting here. I hope you get the job, we can convert you to the "Blue" side.

Hard to say if he'll get additional time - Glencross was only around 40 seconds less than Yelle last season on average (~11:20 to 12:00), and unless he's playing with Iginla, I can't see him getting significantly more minutes.

Quote:
In the end, Sutter had to change things somehow though, they did jack-**** the past three years in the POs, maybe bringing it back to a low scoring defensive team filled with guys that aren't expected to do much will be better.

At least everyone that is in Calgary seems excited about being there. And they certainly have some nice top end talent that I know Keenan will ride anyway.
Yeah. With Kristian H. and Alex T. gone, the team chemistry should be improved. I just don't know if the goals leaving (Kristian/Alex/Owen) will be replaced with the players coming in.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
In the case of Gagner, about 13 years.

Iginla's a 31 year old power forward, and at (or past?) his peak. Gagner is a talented rookie. Hemsky is around the same age that Iginla was when he began to turn into a star.

Iginla's a great player, and it's easy to tell - playing his career with the Langkow's and Conroy's. You've got to wonder where he would be if he was playing with a Thorton.
Iginla turned into a star when he was in his 7th season I think. Hemsky is just entering his 6th.

I ran these stats up:

Iginlas first five seasons: PPG: .68

Hemskys first five seasons: PPG: .77

Don't even say Iginla has always been the better player, even when starting out in this league

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Thanks for posting here. I hope you get the job, we can convert you to the "Blue" side.

Hard to say if he'll get additional time - Glencross was only around 40 seconds less than Yelle last season on average (~11:20 to 12:00), and unless he's playing with Iginla, I can't see him getting significantly more minutes.

Yeah. With Kristian H. and Alex T. gone, the team chemistry should be improved. I just don't know if the goals leaving (Kristian/Alex/Owen) will be replaced with the players coming in.
How will the chemistry be improved?

Camalleri can replace Tanguay, but do you expect Bourque and Glencross to replace Huselius and Nolan?

Old
07-06-2008, 12:12 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
To answer the original question I see the Oilers going in the direction of a high offense, low defense team. I wouldn't be surprised to see a GF/GA of 3.18/3.0 next season. Maybe goals against will go down with a healthy Horcoff, a 2 way player in Cole, Visnovsky's underrated defensive game, a full year of Pisani/Moreau and rookies who should put on a little more muscle.

As for Iginla scoring 50 goals next year, I don't think it will happen. 07/08 was a career year.
Except 2007/2008 wasn't technically Iggy's career year, he had more ppg on 06/07 and more goals in 01/02.

I'm not too worried about him offensively, at least overall, because I think a Camm/Langkow/Iginla/Phaneuf/Aucoin maybe Giordano top PP unit should get its goals, Cammalleri is much better at the PP that EV from what I can tell I expect he will be just as good as Huselius or Tanger at that. Maybe a dip at EV though.

Last edited by kruezer: 07-06-2008 at 12:19 AM.
kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Luongo4VP

the conclusion is the Flames either miss the playoffs or break the 8th seed.

I really don't see them going far with that lineup, I see them as the Canucks of last year, using two star players (Sedin twins) as their only offense, likewise the Flames do that with the top line. The rest of the Forward group looked horrendous on both teams

Old
07-06-2008, 12:16 AM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
How will the chemistry be improved?

Camalleri can replace Tanguay, but do you expect Bourque and Glencross to replace Huselius and Nolan?
Tanguay and Huselius (sp) wanted out of town. Owen Nolan is not racing back. I'm thinking that Keenan's mind games are driving out some of the players.

Next on Keenan's list: Kipper? Raced away at the end of the season, not even around for press day? If he shows up in his standard early season form, I can see him on the block.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Tanguay and Huselius (sp) wanted out of town. Owen Nolan is not racing back. I'm thinking that Keenan's mind games are driving out some of the players.

Next on Keenan's list: Kipper? Raced away at the end of the season, not even around for press day? If he shows up in his standard early season form, I can see him on the block.
Keenan is one of the worst coaches ever. Misusing a great Goalie like Kipper is just painful to watch, none-the-less he does play for the Flames

Old
07-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Matador

Quote:
Except 2007/2008 wasn't technically Iggy's career year, he had more ppg on 06/07 and more goals in 01/02.

I'm not too worried about him offensively, at least overall, because I think a Camm/Langkow/Iginla/Phaneuf/Aucoin maybe Giordano top PP unit should get its goals, Cammalleri is much better at the PP that EV from what I can tell I expect he will be just as good as Huselius or Tanger at that.
Depends how you define career year. He had more points in 07/08 then any other season. He played all 82 games, was +27 (same as 2001), had 9 points in 7 games in the playoffs. In my opinion 2007/2008 was his career year even though he had more goals in 01/02 and was on pace for more points in 06/07. If I recall correctly didn't he fight a lot more last season as well?

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:26 AM
kruezer

Quote:

I imagine Glencross will get more PT that Yeller did last year, I mean, I can't speak for Keenan, but supposing he plays decently offensively he should at least get 3rd line minutes, at least with the way the roster looks for Calgary right now. If they do sign Nolan or someone similar that changes.

I don't think the goals will be replaced, they will have to tighten up defensively a lot next year.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
the conclusion is the Flames either miss the playoffs or break the 8th seed.

I really don't see them going far with that lineup, I see them as the Canucks of last year, using two star players (Sedin twins) as their only offense, likewise the Flames do that with the top line. The rest of the Forward group looked horrendous on both teams
It's less than one week into the official "off-season" and you feel comfortable making that prediction. Rosters can still change a heck of a lot between now and October and I would be pretty shocked if Sutter didn't pick up another top 6 forward. He should have the cap space after jettisoning guys like Nilsson and Warrener and the Flames have an obvious need for some secondary scoring.

I'm not a big Sutter fan but I refuse to believe he actually feels Bourque and Glencross can be top 6 players to replace Nolan and Huselius.

----------------
Now playing: Shearwater - Rooks

07-06-2008, 12:39 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Depends how you define career year. He had more points in 07/08 then any other season. He played all 82 games, was +27 (same as 2001), had 9 points in 7 games in the playoffs. In my opinion 2007/2008 was his career year even though he had more goals in 01/02 and was on pace for more points in 06/07. If I recall correctly didn't he fight a lot more last season as well?
Thats fair, it does come down to definition really. I think Iggy will be fine though, at least, his offense is the least of the Flames worries IMO. Especially if Keenan does roll with the Camm/Lang/Iginla first line. If they try and break somebody in on his line it could be tougher, but unless Backlund blows the competition away at TC, I don't see that happening.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:42 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'm not a big Sutter fan but I refuse to believe he actually feels Bourque and Glencross can be top 6 players to replace Nolan and Huselius.
He's proven me wrong before, but he doesn't have many- if any- assets with which to make a substantial deal. Havlat's not even a possibility due to the cap crunch.

And did the Flames actually buy out Nilson and Warrener? There was a report Sutter didn't, and HockeyBuzz doesn't show any.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:46 AM
kruezer

Quote:

I disagree with that vic, Kipper is always gone like a rocket at the end of every season, he never sticks around, which I can respect, I'd want to go home too.

I think Keenan is much different than he used to be, but perhaps I'm delusional. I mean, I think Sutter drove Huselius away moreso than Keenan. Keenan's relationship with Tanguay can be debated, but it should be pointed out that Huselius was the guy taking Tanger's time, so you gotta give Keenan at least some credit for one of them.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
And did the Flames actually buy out Nilson and Warrener? There was a report Sutter didn't, and HockeyBuzz doesn't show any.
The Flames haven't bought out anyone as of yet and it sounds like they're not planning on doing it any time soon. There are some rumours over on CP about Warrener getting dealt so I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing Sutter will just send Warrener, Nilsson and Eriksson down to the minors if he can't find any takers (which would be an expensive get out of jail free card).

I don't expect Sutter to make any massive moves but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he signed a guy like Nagy or brought in an underachieving forward via a trade (a la Huselius from a few years ago).

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:48 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
He's proven me wrong before, but he doesn't have many- if any- assets with which to make a substantial deal. Havlat's not even a possibility due to the cap crunch.

No they were not bought out.

Warrener, Eriksson and Nilson all cleared waivers and were kept, they are all Flames as of right now.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:52 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
To be fair, the amount of abuse Phaneuf takes here is way over the line...fair is fair.
Stop being a Dion

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:00 AM
nuck4life*

young with loads of offense

i'm not sure if that'll work in the NW division, teams like nucks, minny, and calgary play a very tight defensive system, and if you get rattled if you're having one or two or your top offensive guys out of your lineup (ala souray) you season may be in danger.

there is no doubt kevin lowe improved your team over last year's tenfold, but don't be too excited. with the acquisition of cole, i think he would hate playing in our division compared to carolina, just my take.

you guys have a much better chance than us at cracking the nw title this year

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Spawn

Quote:
and Brule brings all that Stoll does Minus the faceoffs and Leadership.
so in other words.... nothing

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
ouch.

To be fair Stoll did lead our team in hits with 122 and no one was even that close to his totals.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I mean he brings amazing speed(Stoll lacks), still developing into a good player, great hands(Stoll has stone hands), playing with guys like Cogs and Schremp he can be dynamic, good defensively and can play physical.

I think overall this trade should work out for us.

Old
07-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Soundwave

The Oilers are building a team better than the Flames.

The Flames have really poor depth and Iginla + Kipper + Phaneuf as a core have done nothing come playoffs post-lockout. I really don't see how Mike Cammalleri in, Tanguay + Huselius out really changes anything.

Calgary doesn't scare anyone in the West anymore.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Oilers are building a team better than the Flames.

The Flames have really poor depth and Iginla + Kipper + Phaneuf as a core have done nothing come playoffs post-lockout. I really don't see how Mike Cammalleri in, Tanguay + Huselius out really changes anything.

Calgary doesn't scare anyone in the West anymore.

Exactly, whereas the Oilers still have a solid core of:

Hemsky,Gagner,Horcoff,Nilsson,Cogliano,Penner, Schremp,Brule,Brodziak,Gilbert,
Visnovsky,
Grebeshkov,Souray and Garon.

The thing I love most about our team right now is we can roll 3 scoring lines consisting of top 6 forwards at the NHL level, what the hell can the Flames do?

The Flames have a 2-3 year window of winning the cup, then the team is finished.

Old
07-06-2008, 12:17 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck4life View Post
young with loads of offense

i'm not sure if that'll work in the NW division, teams like nucks, minny, and calgary play a very tight defensive system, and if you get rattled if you're having one or two or your top offensive guys out of your lineup (ala souray) you season may be in danger.

there is no doubt kevin lowe improved your team over last year's tenfold, but don't be too excited. with the acquisition of cole, i think he would hate playing in our division compared to carolina, just my take.

you guys have a much better chance than us at cracking the nw title this year

Any idea why Cole would hate playing in the NW? His game is built around the style of the NW.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Any idea why Cole would hate playing in the NW? His game is built around the style of the NW.
Hes also average a PPG over the post-lockout years playing against the NW.

Old
07-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Wouldn't Cole, in that role, be a waste of offensive talent, nevermind his salary and the likelihood he's likely to bolt after a season of playing with pluggers?
As much as the kid line was the best thing about this team last season, I'd love to see Cogliano center the so-called "3rd line" and be more like a Todd Marchant with hands type of player. I just can't see Cole at $4M a season playing 3rd line minutes.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote