HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How good is the Rangers Blueline?

Old
10-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
How good is the Rangers Blueline?

Can't say it enough about how impressed I've been with the blueline thus far.

A

Redden - Has been very good. He's had a few flubs but hes been very solid almost every shift, and his offense skills are SO APPRECIATED! Just having him there is a threat. He has a sick shot AND he hits the net

Rosy - A bit of a slow start after the surgery but he was AMAZING this past week. I think getting use to the new partner, getting his legs back are all shaping up into an even better Roszival in 2008-09

Staal - Kid is a BEAST. Just keeps getting better better. Ive noticed him makeing a few rushes lately too. Hes got a few moves to go with those D smarts. His battles with Crosby are great to watch

Girardi - My vote for most under rated player in the NHL.

Mara - Where was this Mara the last two seasons? This Paul Mara is a steal. Love the way hes stepped up this year. Love it!

Kalinin - I was skeptical of this signing, but now I like it. He's learning the system and he's got god skills. Under utilized in Buffalo.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The defense is second only to Lundqvist when it comes to pinpointing this team's success.

All of them have been solid positionally, while Girardi, Staal, and especially Mara are playing with the necessary snarl and toughness to anchor the line.

But as far as Im concerned, the most important thing is that all 6 defenseman can move the puck. I've been following the Rangers for 20 years and I cant remember a time where all 6 defensemen had the ability to make the right play coming out of the zone almost every time. Its really nice to watch.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Shake and Bake

yea, Girardi so damn underated. plays a simple game and i love him for that. hes just a solid dman. Good point BRB

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Trying not to get ahead of the game this early or to be a complete homer, but could the Rangers have the best D corps in the East?

Old
10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
beastly115

As much as Rozsival gets on our nerves, the best thing for him was playing top pairing minutes with us the past few seasons. He knows the system, he knows the team, and he knows how to fill the top pairing role if Redden ever goes down.

Redden is very refreshing because he actually shoots the damn puck from the point. Not to mention he actually puts it on net.

I've been a Mara fan since we acquired him. He's got a cannon of a shot and it's nice to see him using it more. I also love his physical play. Don't know why it's taken him so long to play physically consistently.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
NYRangers09

The defense really has been unbelievably good. And with Henrik in net, they only have to be kinda good. So I think that we will end the season with the best GAA in the league

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Trying not to get ahead of the game this early or to be a complete homer, but could the Rangers have the best D corps in the East?
On paper, yes. Well, maybe not the best but top 3 for sure.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The one change I would make is less Rosy on the PP. He just has that "make one more pass" mentality ingrained in his brain from all the years with Jagr.

Old
10-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I have written about this before.
Rangers have

above average coaching
league top goaltending
excellent defence
sub par top line
very good 2nd line
East leading 3-4 lines

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Levitate

I don't think they've played up to their potential yet, but hopefully that just means there is still room to get better

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
The one change I would make is less Rosy on the PP. He just has that "make one more pass" mentality ingrained in his brain from all the years with Jagr.
I couldn't agree more. I find myself yelling at Rozsival and being very frustrated with him, but I've noticed that it's almost solely because I hate him on the PP. The guy just refuses to shoot, which is infuriating because he has a very good shot. I love his work in the defensive zone, however. He is a master at the delay move which opens up the passing lanes as the opposing wingers are trying to get into backchecking position. That play opens the ice up so much, and saves our own wingers from the wear and tear that comes with playing the puck up the boards.

I pretty much 100% agree with the rest of your assessments as well, except for Kalinin. Dude either has to simplify his game, step it up offensively, or sit down. He makes the mistakes that high end offensive guys make with the puck, but you can't have that from a third pairing guy who doesn't contribute offensively.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Levitate

eh, Rozsival is actually shooting a fair amount on the PP. He just doesn't shoot when there's no lane (and honestly, a lot of his shots get blocked anyways because it's getting harder and harder these days to get a slapshot through on the PP).

I don't think it's a valid criticism of him anymore. The real criticism of the pointmen on the PP should be that they need to get more creative and move around more. There needs to be more movement in general on the PP to open up those point shots, because right now, most of the shooting lanes are closed

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:08 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
I have written about this before.
Rangers have

above average coaching
league top goaltending
excellent defence
sub par top line
very good 2nd line
East leading 3-4 lines
great penalty killing
horrible powerplay
fixed that

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I hope Girardi can keep his level of play up. He tailed off last season.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I hope Girardi can keep his level of play up. He tailed off last season.
I thought Girardi was at the peak of his play last season, but this season he just seems to play a much better defensive and offensive game at the blue line. He really is a steal. Girardi should give Toots a call for a hipcheck lesson though (yes, that hipcheck was great when he used it!).

Staal just plays like a veteran D-man. Doesn't make many mistakes and is just very solid. Has some flashes of great puck movement as well.

Mara is a player I liked since we signed him. Even last season. But this season, I just love the guy. He is playing with such a meanstreak as well now, something we really needed. And he grows a real beard!

Rozi - Has been pretty solid but has to stop passing up open shooting lanes. Still love that play he had on Malkin when he didn't glance at the puck, just Malkin.

Redden - Yes he has a pretty hefty contract but has been very solid lately and what a nice shot he has. Of everything negative thing said about him in the summer, I haven't really seen any of those traits yet.

Kalinin - Our supposed Malik 2.0, he sure isn't playing that way. Sure he gives up position every now and again, but that's also because he joins the rushes quite often (either still used to the Buffalo style, or Renney likes that offensive mindset). He has a really nice shot from the point as well.

What I like even more about this blue-line, is the pairings can be switched around and they still play very good D together.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
FLYLine24*

Best 6 dmen we've had in...oh I dont even know...a LONG time.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
eh, Rozsival is actually shooting a fair amount on the PP. He just doesn't shoot when there's no lane (and honestly, a lot of his shots get blocked anyways because it's getting harder and harder these days to get a slapshot through on the PP).

I don't think it's a valid criticism of him anymore. The real criticism of the pointmen on the PP should be that they need to get more creative and move around more. There needs to be more movement in general on the PP to open up those point shots, because right now, most of the shooting lanes are closed

He has shot more, but hes hesitant, looking for that pass and it gives the other team too much time. Redden unloads quickly and on net. I have noticed that Redden will play pass pass pass with Rosy though...

Old
10-28-2008, 02:31 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Best 6 dmen we've had in...oh I dont even know...a LONG time.
At least since the 97 ECF team when it was Leetch, Beuke, Karpotsev, Driver, Ulf, and Lidster.

Of course nothing compares to the 94 team of Leetch, Beuke, Zubov, Karpotsev, Lowe, and Wells with Lidster as the #7. When you have two defensemen who are PPG players....wow.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Ola

IMO what its reasonable to ask from a D these days is to move the puck well (a ton goes into that). Hold their position. Get into shooting lanes. et c.

But what you never can ask for them is to 1. bail you out and 2. to face constant pressure.

When you can't hook and grab, sooner or later, if you let the other team take it to you, misstakes will be made. Ottawa last season was a perfect example of that. Nobody can be misstake free if the entire team doesn't controll the game.

We have built a D thats ment to go as the team goes. They will play great if the team plays great. If we wanted a D that could play ok when the team sucked, we would have spent money on Orpik, Salvador and co. But thoose guys wouldn't have been as good if the team played great.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Black Tank

The D has been excellent and I liked Potter and Fahey who would presumably be the call ups in case of injury. Redden has looked better and better and I love the Mara Stall pairing especially if Mara can get Staal to accelerate the growth of his physical game. So far so good.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:53 PM
pzilla3

they have been good so far

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:28 PM
bumrusherer

Very very good but in desperate need of a legit, well above average point scorer.

All of them are adequate 2-way players though and the best 2 of the 6 are very young ( Staal and Girardi ), so that is always nice .

I do believe that the root of our PP problems does lie with this part of the team.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Prospalous

Quote:
Can't say it enough about how impressed I've been with the blueline thus far.

A

Redden - Has been very good. He's had a few flubs but hes been very solid almost every shift, and his offense skills are SO APPRECIATED! Just having him there is a threat. He has a sick shot AND he hits the net

Rosy - A bit of a slow start after the surgery but he was AMAZING this past week. I think getting use to the new partner, getting his legs back are all shaping up into an even better Roszival in 2008-09

Staal - Kid is a BEAST. Just keeps getting better better. Ive noticed him makeing a few rushes lately too. Hes got a few moves to go with those D smarts. His battles with Crosby are great to watch

Girardi - My vote for most under rated player in the NHL.

Mara - Where was this Mara the last two seasons? This Paul Mara is a steal. Love the way hes stepped up this year. Love it!

Kalinin - I was skeptical of this signing, but now I like it. He's learning the system and he's got god skills. Under utilized in Buffalo.
i agree with everything but the bolded, italicized, and underlined. Roszival is the biggest waste of 5 mil a year and I wish we would trade him already.

My calculator doesn't have enough digits to count the amount of times I've seen him fumble the puck, cause a turnover, make a stupid move behind the net, or give up an open shot to pass.

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
Very very good but in desperate need of a legit, well above average point scorer.

All of them are adequate 2-way players though and the best 2 of the 6 are very young ( Staal and Girardi ), so that is always nice .

I do believe that the root of our PP problems does lie with this part of the team.
Well thats exactly why we overpaid Redden for the next 6 years.

If he cant be that PP QB, well, we're stuck with him

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Sheriff

I miss a really mean and hard-hitting dman (like e.g. Beukeboom at earlier times or Bieksa nowadays). Mara had some fights and hits but I don't think he's feared around the league.

Otherwise the defense is looking pretty good thus far.

Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote