HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How many of you remember the 1975 USSR Super Series Game?

Old
07-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
How many of you remember the 1975 USSR Super Series Game?

Since this is hockey's most historic franchise, and this is Le Habs 100th year, and that I have joined up with you guys as a new Canadiens fan,

I would like to start my role of helping us relive many great moments in Habs history we were around for.

I'd like to start with the famous New Year's Eve game at Le Forum in 1975.

That was the beginning of Montreal's last mega-dynasty- the four-in-a-row team of LaFleur, Dryden, etc.

IMO, that game and that USSR super team was the only real challenging game and opponent for that super Habs team of 1975-76.

The game, which ended in a 3-3 tie, is highly regarded as one of the greatest games in all of hockey history.

But, were any of you guys alive/old enough to remember that game?

What was the anticipation and hype like?

Was anyone lucky enough to be AT the game?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:03 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Since this is hockey's most historic franchise, and this is Le Habs 100th year, and that I have joined up with you guys as a new Canadiens fan,

I would like to start my role of helping us relive many great moments in Habs history we were around for.

I'd like to start with the famous New Year's Eve game at Le Forum in 1975.

That was the beginning of Montreal's last mega-dynasty- the four-in-a-row team of LaFleur, Dryden, etc.

IMO, that game and that USSR super team was the only real challenging game and opponent for that super Habs team of 1975-76.

The game, which ended in a 3-3 tie, is highly regarded as one of the greatest games in all of hockey history.

But, were any of you guys alive/old enough to remember that game?

What was the anticipation and hype like?

Was anyone lucky enough to be AT the game?
Watched that game at a New Years party at a bar. Confidence was high as I recall. We played super. Tretiak was astounding. Too bad he never fulfilled his dream to play for the bleu blanc et rouge.

I always thought that game was the one that showed me and the rest of Canada our team was a Super Team in its own right. It heralded our 4 year string of Cups. You had to live the moment to appreciate what we had

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
I watched it on TV, live. And we kicked those Russians *****!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:16 AM
GNick42

Same here watched on tv live...I think it was called SuperSeries '76. Many great games in this series...remember the Flyers "They're going home" game? I liked the Buffalo game also, on a Sunday afternoon I believe

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Beakermania*

I've seen it many times... but all on ESPN classic, or something like that....

I was not born at the time.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 10:02 AM
V-2 Schneider

I saw it live.We dominated them and put a checking blanket all over the ice;the game was as intense as a cup final and the difference was the G.He stoned Lemaire and Lambert in close at least twice each, and a couple of close chances by Shutt and Cournoyer.It was like seeing Hasek at the top of his game.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Overrated game. The Habs dominated. The Habs showed up. The Red Army didn't. Tretiak showed up. Dryden didn't. With the way the goalies played, if they had switched spots, the Habs would have won 6-0.

Never understood why Courny was on the top line and Guy on a checking line with Gainey.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

It's actually the very first Hab game I ever saw live. I was 5 years old at the time so I don't remember very much. But one memory that stands out for me was standing in front of the old Forum before the game with my uncles. Looking at the lit up escalators and thinking that was the greatest thing I ever saw.

After the game I was taken to the back of the Forum where I met Guy Lafleur. He said a few things to me that I don't remember, then signed my little souvenir hockey stick. Which almost 33 years later is proudly hung up on the wall in my office.

07-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Doc Hock

The game was great, lots of end to end rushes. yes the Buffalo game was fantastic, belive the score was something like 12-6 and Spinner Spencer got a couple of goals I do believe

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
mcphee

I watched the game at my friend's house before heading out a New Year's Eve party.

I remember the room being surprised at how the CH pretty well dictated the game. They had a game plan, followed it and looking back, that game probably marked the point where the team realized that the combination of their talent and playing within Bowman's demands, meshed.

My brother was at the game, and the legend , as he tells it, is that as the final siren went, he was struck by a sponge puck. Without thinking, he turned and threw it towrds the ice, where it hit, and bounced off Tretiak while he was greeting his teammates.

There are 2 video feeds, I believe,HNIC and Radio Canada, as you can see Tretiak look to the side and one of them, but not on the other.

2 months later, I happened into a Mtl bar where about half the team was watching a replay of the game on a big screen. Sitting at a nearby table near these guys sort of stuck in my memory as I'm sure you can imagine.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote