HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's the shutdown center ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2008, 10:56 AM
  #1
Pepe Lemieux
Registered User
 
Pepe Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Who's the shutdown center ?

I am a long time habs fan and I am pretty happy with the direction this team is taking since Bob Gainey was named the new GM of this team.

Since what seems to be forever the habs always had a number 3 "defensive" center who played against the other teams first line. Last year Carbo started to change it and fought fire with fire for the first time in 10 years in Montreal. Playing our "best lines" against the other teams best lines. I am a fan of this strategy and it tells how good a team his as far as am concerned. But in the playoffs Carbo started to play a lot more of Smoke and Kosto ( and it killed me).

This year it seems like ths habs will not have that "defensive" center. Who's the next Smolinsky, Bonk, Juneau ...? There is no veteran defensive center on this team. The habs always been reluctant to play a young defensive center on the third line. Can It be the year we see it ? With the likes of Chipchura or Lapierre ?

Of course I assume that were not getting Sundin. If we do it changes everything. But if Sundin retires or go with another team. Do you guys really think we're going with these young guys on the 3 rd line ? If Gainey decide we need another vet at center for the 3rd line ... who could be available ?

Fedorov... that would cost a lot of $ but a one year contract would be fine with me
Gratton ... Good faceoff specialist and brings size .. interesting
Jozef Vasicek ... can he play a defensive game ?
Robert Lang ... Chicago could let him go for cap space.. always liked that guy
Stephan Yelle .. another good shut down center and faceoff specialist
John Madden .. could be available
Mike Peca .. a classic defensive center injury prone
Smoke.. we could still bring him back a had a good post season


Do you guys think we should add a guy like them .. personnaly I do


Last edited by Pepe Lemieux: 07-06-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:04 AM
  #2
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,713
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schuldiner View Post
Do you guys think we should add a guy like them .. personnaly I do
I do as well. I don't believe that we should put Chipchura in that role yet and I don't think Lapierre has the hockey sense at that level to play at center. I will be a pain in the ass about this but Lapierre should not play at the center position. A vet on the 3rd, letting Chipchura centering the 4th line all year and playing Lapierre on the 4th as a winger would do it for me.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:05 AM
  #3
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,035
vCash: 1045
Chris Kelly signed a 4-year deal with the Senators, it was announced at the draft.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
  #4
Riverside Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Riverside Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Chips

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
  #5
Pepe Lemieux
Registered User
 
Pepe Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Chris Kelly signed a 4-year deal with the Senators, it was announced at the draft.

I missed that .. sorry

Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
  #6
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schuldiner View Post
I am a long time habs fan and I am pretty happy with the direction this team is taking since Bob Gainey was named the new GM of this team.

Since what seems to be forever the habs always had a number 3 "defensive" center who played against the other teams first line. Last year Carbo started to change it and fought fire with fire for the first time in 10 years in Montreal. Playing our "best lines" against the other teams best lines. I am a fan of this strategy and it tells how good a team his as far as am concerned. But in the playoffs Carbo started to play a lot more of Smoke and Kosto ( and it killed me).

This year it seems like ths habs will not have that "defensive" center. Who's the next Smolinsky, Bonk, Juneau ...? There is no veteran defensive center on this team. The habs always been reluctant to play a young defensive center on the third line. Can It be the year we see it ? With the likes of Chipchura or Lapierre ?

Of course I assume that were not getting Sundin. If we do it changes everything. But if Sundin retires or go with another team. Do you guys really think we're going with these young guys on the 3 rd line ? If Gainey decide we need another vet at center for the 3rd line ... who could be available ?

Fedorov... that would cost a lot of $ but a one year contract would be fine with me
Gratton ... Good faceoff specialist and brings size .. interesting
Chris Kelly ... very interesting
Jozef Vasicek ... can he play a defensive game ?
Robert Lang ... Chicago could let him go for cap space.. always liked that guy
Stephan Yelle .. another good shut down center and faceoff specialist
John Madden .. could be available
Mike Peca .. a classic defensive center injury prone


Do you guys think we should add a guy like them .. personnaly I do

This is a simple one!!! If we sign Sundin, Koivu will center the 3rd line and it will act as a shutdown line AND a 3rd offensive line. Koivu has slowed down a lot and isn't as good offensively as he used to be.....time for him to take a different role with this young team and let the better players create the offence.

But if we don't sign Sundin....we'll have to use Lapierre or Chipchura as our 3rd line shutdown players. I would rather do that then pay a bunch of money for someone else.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:12 AM
  #7
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I do as well. I don't believe that we should put Chipchura in that role yet and I don't think Lapierre has the hockey sense at that level to play at center. I will be a pain in the ass about this but Lapierre should not play at the center position. A vet on the 3rd, letting Chipchura centering the 4th line all year and playing Lapierre on the 4th as a winger would do it for me.
I wanna go with Fire against fire.....

Go three offensive lines and a shutdown energy line....

A line of
Higgins - Plekanec - Kovalev could be used against the top line of anyone in the league, they have the defensive responsibility necessary to do so.... They'd be my first choice when we can line match at home.

Tanguay is also defensively responsible, as are Koivu and AKost.... this second line can be used if the first line is tired and can match up well as a second choice at home

On the road while not my first choice for line matching I don't see a
Latendresse - Chip/Lappy - Sergei or
Kosto - Chip/Lappy - Laraque line as so weak that they are particularly vulnerable on the road... sure you don't want them facing the other team all game long, but if they are on the ice and the other team puts out a good line, you hopefully can get the puck out of your end and change.

Defence matching is the key though IMO.

At home
Markov - Komi or Hammer - O'B/Gorges should always be on against others top lines.... A third pair of Boullion - Gorges/O'B is vulnerable, but shouldn't be too bad on the road.

Regardless when on the road you don't want the third/fourth lline out with the third defence pair... thats just asking for trouble....

If Sundin signs that pushes Koivu down to the third line and eliviates a lot of the concern though, cause Koivu is capable in his own end... who doesn't remember the shutdown jobs he did on Joe Thornton in the past.... so you'd have three capable offensive lines... all of which can also play in their own end.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:17 AM
  #8
Pepe Lemieux
Registered User
 
Pepe Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
If we sign Sundin... a line of Saku-Higgins-Sergei K would be a perfect shutdown line but If we don't sig Sundin I am not comfortable in putting Chipchura there. The defensive game at center comes with experience ... Chipper should start on the 4th line and maybe next year on the 3rd if he pans out.

Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:21 AM
  #9
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schuldiner View Post
I am a long time habs fan and I am pretty happy with the direction this team is taking since Bob Gainey was named the new GM of this team.

Since what seems to be forever the habs always had a number 3 "defensive" center who played against the other teams first line. Last year Carbo started to change it and fought fire with fire for the first time in 10 years in Montreal. Playing our "best lines" against the other teams best lines. I am a fan of this strategy and it tells how good a team his as far as am concerned. But in the playoffs Carbo started to play a lot more of Smoke and Kosto ( and it killed me).

This year it seems like ths habs will not have that "defensive" center. Who's the next Smolinsky, Bonk, Juneau ...? There is no veteran defensive center on this team. The habs always been reluctant to play a young defensive center on the third line. Can It be the year we see it ? With the likes of Chipchura or Lapierre ?

Of course I assume that were not getting Sundin. If we do it changes everything. But if Sundin retires or go with another team. Do you guys really think we're going with these young guys on the 3 rd line ? If Gainey decide we need another vet at center for the 3rd line ... who could be available ?

Fedorov... that would cost a lot of $ but a one year contract would be fine with me
Gratton ... Good faceoff specialist and brings size .. interesting
Jozef Vasicek ... can he play a defensive game ?
Robert Lang ... Chicago could let him go for cap space.. always liked that guy
Stephan Yelle .. another good shut down center and faceoff specialist
John Madden .. could be available
Mike Peca .. a classic defensive center injury prone
Smoke.. we could still bring him back a had a good post season


Do you guys think we should add a guy like them .. personnaly I do
I'd rather have 3 offensive lines by adding another skilled center. Most of those guys are either over the hill or wayyy too slow. Last yaer people *****ed at Smolinski all year and he is better than most of those guys.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
  #10
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
This is a simple one!!! If we sign Sundin, Koivu will center the 3rd line and it will act as a shutdown line AND a 3rd offensive line. Koivu has slowed down a lot and isn't as good offensively as he used to be.....time for him to take a different role with this young team and let the better players create the offence.

But if we don't sign Sundin....we'll have to use Lapierre or Chipchura as our 3rd line shutdown players. I would rather do that then pay a bunch of money for someone else.
I don't think Koivu has really slowed any, he showed in the playoffs he is still the same player, he just needs a winger that will shoot the puck and score.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:55 PM
  #11
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Koivu-Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-Latendresse
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque

My guess is Chipchura. Don't believe were adding anyone else unless it's Sundin.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:59 PM
  #12
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
The way I see it, Carbo will try to get power on power matchups. I'll trust Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins against any top line in the league. Chipchura is hopefully our future shutdown center, but this year, a Crosby type would destroy him.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:16 PM
  #13
knuck
On and off fan
 
knuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Koivu-Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-Latendresse
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque

My guess is Chipchura. Don't believe were adding anyone else unless it's Sundin.
damn i love those lines !

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:26 PM
  #14
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,009
vCash: 500
If Bob gives up on pursuing Sundin, I'd love to see him lock up Fedorov on a 1 year deal.

Tanguay- Koivu- Lats
Kost- Pleks- Kovalev
Higgins- Fedorov- Kost Jr
Laraque- Chips- Kostopoulos
Begin/Lapierre

Markov-Komi
Hamrlik- O'Byrne
Gorges- Bouillion

works for me!

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
  #15
Pepe Lemieux
Registered User
 
Pepe Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Koivu-Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-Latendresse
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque

My guess is Chipchura. Don't believe were adding anyone else unless it's Sundin.

The way I see it is if just like in this years playoff we get an injury to Koivu or Plekanec we are still cought with Higgins in center and I think he is offensively innefective at center. Tanguay hasn't played center since his junior days and some project Sergei K at center but still it's nothing safe to me.

Fedorov would be a huge addition to this linup and a one year deal around 3 M $ would be nice .

Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:57 PM
  #16
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Breakin' the law
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 50,034
vCash: 113
Stay away from Johnny Cakes Madden. He's our junk yard dog and you can't have him.

Seriously - I think he'll retire a Devil. Pando just re-signed and I expect Madden to as well next year. Those two are like Bubba and Forrest - 2 peas in a pod.

__________________


Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:14 PM
  #17
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
Remember Koivu had 3 weeks to rest before the playoffs.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:27 PM
  #18
WeezyHabFan
Registered User
 
WeezyHabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
If Bob gives up on pursuing Sundin, I'd love to see him lock up Fedorov on a 1 year deal.

Tanguay- Koivu- Lats
Kost- Pleks- Kovalev
Higgins- Fedorov- Kost Jr
Laraque- Chips- Kostopoulos
Begin/Lapierre

Markov-Komi
Hamrlik- O'Byrne
Gorges- Bouillion

works for me!
i've been quiet enough, but why do people keep putting lats on the first line or second? he was useless last year, im sorry i like him but seriously he has not earned the recognition that some of you people give him. ps, y would u want our first line weaker than our 2nd and 3rd?

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
  #19
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,213
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Remember Koivu had 3 weeks to rest before the playoffs.
Because his foot was broken? *** does this have to do with anything?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:56 PM
  #20
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresNoOtherNames View Post
i've been quiet enough, but why do people keep putting lats on the first line or second? he was useless last year, im sorry i like him but seriously he has not earned the recognition that some of you people give him. ps, y would u want our first line weaker than our 2nd and 3rd?
as i know, every year is a new year, Gui exactly have the size and toolbox to play on a offensive line, his skating is not nearly perfect but if he improve durinf summer, there is no reason why we should not give him a try

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
  #21
Pepe Lemieux
Registered User
 
Pepe Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Because his foot was broken? *** does this have to do with anything?
I think he meaned that Koivu was re-energized when he came back against the Bruins since he had a "break". But I don't see it that way.

Koivu stepped up for the playoffs has he always did. Saku is at his best when comes playoff times, playoff races or Olympic games.

Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
  #22
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresNoOtherNames View Post
i've been quiet enough, but why do people keep putting lats on the first line or second? he was useless last year, im sorry i like him but seriously he has not earned the recognition that some of you people give him. ps, y would u want our first line weaker than our 2nd and 3rd?
Okay... lats is our 6th best offensive winger.... behind Kovy, Tang, higgins, the bros (in no order)..... we are gonna have three offensive lines... some people want to balance them....

I wouldn't put Lats on the first line... but i can see why some people might want to try him with Tanguay-Koivu... or Pleks-Kovalev.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
  #23
Pepe Lemieux
Registered User
 
Pepe Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
as i know, every year is a new year, Gui exactly have the size and toolbox to play on a offensive line, his skating is not nearly perfect but if he improve durinf summer, there is no reason why we should not give him a try
Remember a young Todd Bertuzzi.. Tender is still young he could pan out at 25-26 years old like a lot of big guys.

Pepe Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
  #24
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Let's go back to what Gainey says:
Plek, Koivu, Chip and Lap with Begin as a backup.

Only change he sees: Sundin!
Thats not what gainey said... he said Sundin was still a possibility and that he wouldn't say no to any player he thinks could improve the team.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
  #25
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresNoOtherNames View Post
i've been quiet enough, but why do people keep putting lats on the first line or second? he was useless last year, im sorry i like him but seriously he has not earned the recognition that some of you people give him. ps, y would u want our first line weaker than our 2nd and 3rd?
I think your too caught up in lines 1 through 3. I think the poster was just proposing ideas for lines. Just because Lats was on the top one doesn't mean that's the number 1 line in that scenario. Sometimes people will put Koivus line at the top just out of respect no matter whos on it. And Koivu and Lats have shown some pretty good chemistry when played together...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.