HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Kovalev wants a 3-year extension before camp

Old
07-06-2008, 04:07 PM
GNick42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev Warrior View Post
http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/ see on the right.

This site have been right on every signing scoops since July 1st.

What do you think?
NO WAY!!! Kovalev has been hot and cold his whole career. Give him a big contract now and he will lose a good deal of his incentive next year. He's in a contract year...poised for a good 2008-09. He'll be 36 next year...we'll see July 2009

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I thought that's why we got Laraque

Come the **** on bro. Put Kovalev with Conroy and Nolan, how many points does he get?

Tanguay had more ES points with those 2 washed out bums than Kovalev did with our 2nd and 3rd best forwards.
Of course he doesn't get 84 pts, and I'm not trying to downplay Tanguay at all if that's what you think. You say he has a better career ppg then Kovalev, and then you turn around and told me he can lead lines. My point was that he didn't get 81 pts while leading a line. He got 81 pts playing with Forsberg, Sakic or Iginla, when he did lead a line(Playing with Nolan and Conroy, I'll give you that) he put up 58 pts. Did playing with Nolan and Conroy really cause him to lose 23 pts? Or could it just be that he can't produce as much as his stats indicate by himself? My point was: Tanguay doesn't score 80 pts without an elite player on his line. He's a very good player, but unless Kovalev has another year like last, I'm not banking on Tanguay getting 80 pts here. I'm predicting around 65-70, maybe 75 pts.

Africa. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Brisk-Illusion

You know what I love about Habs' fans ?

The same people who *****ed and moaned about not having a star player for over 10 years, are the same ones who want to get rid of Kovalev because he wants to sign an extension to stay with the team longer.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear most of this board was female.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
Of course he doesn't get 84 pts, and I'm not trying to downplay Tanguay at all if that's what you think. You say he has a better career ppg then Kovalev, and then you turn around and told me he can lead lines. My point was that he didn't get 81 pts while leading a line. He got 81 pts playing with Forsberg, Sakic or Iginla, when he did lead a line(Playing with Nolan and Conroy, I'll give you that) he put up 58 pts. Did playing with Nolan and Conroy really cause him to lose 23 pts? Or could it just be that he can't produce as much as his stats indicate by himself? My point was: Tanguay doesn't score 80 pts without an elite player on his line. He's a very good player, but unless Kovalev has another year like last, I'm not banking on Tanguay getting 80 pts here. I'm predicting around 65-70, maybe 75 pts.
It should have easily. Have you seen these guys play recently?

I'm more than positive that Tanguay will be getting 80pts plus next season. You can quote me on that.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Africa.

Quote:
It should have easily. Have you seen these guys play recently?

I'm more than positive that Tanguay will be getting 80pts plus next season. You can quote me on that.
If we get Sundin I think he'll get 80 pts, but I doubt we are so...as for him losing 23 pts because of Nolan and Conroy...that's just silly. You really think Tanguay can get 80+ pts without a Forsberg/Sakic/Iginla on his line?

As for people *****ing at the rumor of Kovalev for asking an extension...

Be glad he wants to be here, when's the last time we had a forward close as good as him? Last I can think of was the 90's Mark Recchi...and even then, I like Kovalev better.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-06-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Africa. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Slow Poke View Post
No way. He's had 1 decent season which happened to be last year and now he wants an extension...

If he does get one I say they put a clause in the extension. Score less than 30 goals and less than 50 points and the team has the option to drop him with no strings attached.
have you only watched hockey for 2 years or something?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

if true I would considere seriously moving him, I think he has some nice value on the market...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Corey

Some of you bellyaching boobies should jam your thumbs deep into your tonsils. You're willing to pay Mats Sundin double what Kovalev is making and yet you complain that Kovy is too old at 35 and might get injured. How old is Sundin? He's 37, not 27. Use your heads for a change.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Some of you bellyaching boobies should jam your thumbs deep into your tonsils. You're willing to pay Mats Sundin double what Kovalev is making and yet you complain that Kovy is too old at 35 and might get injured. How old is Sundin? He's 37, not 27. Use your heads for a change.
The difference is that Sundin is the antithesis of Alex Kovalev when it comes to consistency and you know what you're going to get from him year in and year out so he's a much safer investement.

Use your head for a change

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:58 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd swear most of this board was female.
Members here are typical females and have the exact same aspects as females... except the good parts.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:12 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Hmm, I don't get what's funny. Tanguay has put up a higher PPG average in his career all the while being MUCH better defensively AND being in the more defensive western conference.
Ok, so I guess the whole * Kovalev played with good linemates, thats why he posted good numbers* is out the door, right? Because last time I checked Tanguay played with Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, Iginla etc.. I just want to make sure because I seem to read a lot of those excuses for every good season Kovalev had even last year it seems he played with the great Kostitsyn.

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Label View Post
The difference is that Sundin is the antithesis of Alex Kovalev when it comes to consistency and you know what you're going to get from him year in and year out so he's a much safer investement.

Naturally it's impossible to challenge your contention that Sundin at 37 and double his salary is a much safer investment.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Kikizaz

give it to him...

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Kovalev is what makes our PP work.
Tanguay in place of Kovy on the PP and we are not as powerful.
Both at the sa, time on the PP would be wonderful thought.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
I agree.

While I've never been a huge Kovalev supporter and I'm quite skeptical about extending him before training camp,he gets unecessary flack from fans in general, especially on this board.He's a key component on our team short term in order to win the Cup.He's not that player some people make out to be,but he certainly deserves legit consideration and respect.

You've nicely pointed out the ironic contradiction when it comes to Sundin and Kovalev on this board.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 07-06-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Lone Rogue

Our coaching staff makes our PP work, not Kovalev.

If we can shift from our point shot (Souray) to our wing shot (Kovalev), we can switch it up again.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Naturally it's impossible to challenge your contention that Sundin at 37 and double his salary is a much safer investment.
Pretty much yes

Age is a factor sure but in this case i'm more worried about consistency and work ethic than anything else in which Sundin >> Kovalev. And it's not like we're going to see Sundin for 3 years either if we do. More like 1 which makes Sundin a lesser risk despite the money. I also think re-signing guys like Komisarek , Plekanec and Higgins should be a priority over extending our veterans but that's just me.

Old
07-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Pretty much yes

Age is a factor sure but in this case i'm more worried about consistency and work ethic than anything else in which Sundin >> Kovalev. And it's not like we're going to see Sundin for 3 years either if we do. More like 1 which makes Sundin a lesser risk despite the money. I also think re-signing guys like Komisarek , Plekanec and Higgins should be a priority over extending our veterans but that's just me.
Depends on the veteran as well.

Kovalev is a fantastic player but I wouldn't bet the house on him. He wants the extension, but I doubt he'll receive it. His play this season will dictate his pay until he retires. If anyone gets a new contract before theirs is up, its Koivu, as its important to have your captain locked up.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Fergy22

Quote:

Hey Black Label...you talking about Jon Fitch?

Fergy22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy22 View Post
Hey Black Label...you talking about Jon Fitch?
Of course

Just look at my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Depends on the veteran as well.

Kovalev is a fantastic player but I wouldn't bet the house on him. He wants the extension, but I doubt he'll receive it. His play this season will dictate his pay until he retires. If anyone gets a new contract before theirs is up, its Koivu, as its important to have your captain locked up.
And i don't disagree but i'd still wait to at least mid season before extending any of them , even Koivu who should be a priority over the other vets.

Old
07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Hemsky4PM

There are likely going to be two big time UFAs next summer: Hossa and Gaborik. I wouldn't be too concerned about Kovalev. Not that you can find guys with his talent anywhere, but he is getting older and I think the money he's likely to ask for will be ridiculous especially if he is willing to consider the KHL in Russia who could pay him over 6-7M per season.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
I don't blame him one bit...

This is his big chance for he and his family to be set for life. What if he got hurt this year?

Let Bob worry about it and enjoy your summer...
You think he isn't already settled for life with the +20 million he already has in bank???? How much does one need to be settled for life in your book??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Slow Poke View Post
No way. He's had 1 decent season which happened to be last year and now he wants an extension...

If he does get one I say they put a clause in the extension. Score less than 30 goals and less than 50 points and the team has the option to drop him with no strings attached.
He hasn't had ONE decent season. 65 pts in 69 games is pretty close in ppg as 85 pts in 82 games. He had that season (65 points) right after he got signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
It has EVERYTHING to do with his age znk but not how Shabutie means it. The problem is, when you retire during a contract you sign when you are 35 years old or more, the team is stuck with the cap hit for the rest of the contract.

I know Kovalev wants to play for a long time but if in 3 years (2 years into his new contract) he gets a big injury and he decides to call it a quit, we might not be able to afford a new winger for the rest of his contract length to replace him because of the cap hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Beaker, I think you are wrong on this one. I have read recently that all contracts signed after 35 will count in the cap hit, whatever happens to the player even UFO abduction, mysterious disappearance or anything of this kind.

Quote from Jagr:

"But it looks like with the new [Collective Barganing Agreement], it's tough for older guys to sign long-term contracts because teams are worried you're going to get injured or retire and they're stuck with the salary on the salary cap."
No he won't count on the cap if it is due to injury. Just look at Rathje with the Flyers... if what you were saying was true... the season before he would've counted against the cap... and the team can always send the player to the minors and won't count against the cap..

The alarmist stance is really becoming annoying as hell. People will invent anything for the sensationalism it brings.

Gimme a break... if Kovalev signs for 3 seasons... there is not a doubt in my mind that he will honor that contract... and if he does get injured and retires because of this, he won't count against the cap.. any player injured for more than 15 games do not count on the cap.

People here should also realize that Kovalev knows full well that the Habs won't sacrifice the youth for him. He knows that if his demands are too high, he won't be able to continue here. Kovy is not Jagr. The chances that he gives a hometown discount are very good as he wants to retire here (and please no one give me the Sundin argument as it is not the same situation). He and Koivu won't be asking for inflated numbers and the Habs will probably keep both.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Guys he just want and extention, nothing very surprising here.

Is he gonna hold out if he don't get it? That would be a problem but we are not there yet.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

3 years for 12 million. He's a great ATHLETE, and i don't think he's going to slow down. playing with kosty and pleks should keep him honest.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:50 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
No he won't count on the cap if it is due to injury. Just look at Rathje with the Flyers... if what you were saying was true... the season before he would've counted against the cap... and the team can always send the player to the minors and won't count against the cap..
Alright, thanks for the clarifications, I just reported what I read from a guy interpreting the CBA, which was obviously a false interpretation I guess.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote