HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RUMOR: Kovalev wants a 3-year extension before camp

Old
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
You guys make me laugh, Kovalev had 2 great seasons out of 3 with us. In 2005-2006 he had 65 points in 69 games and last year got 84 points in 82 games. His only bad season was 2 years ago when he was on the line with Samsonov for half the year (the same Samsonov who did havoc in the dressing room with his trade demand in November). That line obviously didn't click and lasted too long. After, he was put on a line with Lapierre and Latendresse for some time...the guy had problems that year but every guy on the team had problems. Signing Kovalev for 3 years would be pretty good, as he would end his career here and would adore to give a last push for the Cup with us.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
You guys make me laugh, Kovalev had 2 great seasons out of 3 with us. In 2005-2006 he had 65 points in 69 games and last year got 84 points in 82 games. His only bad season was 2 years ago when he was on the line with Samsonov for half the year (the same Samsonov who did havoc in the dressing room with his trade demand in November). That line obviously didn't click and lasted too long. After, he was put on a line with Lapierre and Latendresse for some time...the guy had problems that year but every guy on the team had problems. Signing Kovalev for 3 years would be pretty good, as he would end his career here and would adore to give a last push for the Cup with us.
don't waste your time bro...

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
tiredman

Of course he wants a new contract... he just ended a season he probably will never surpass in terms of production. He couldn't ask for a better time to negiocate his contract...

However, a smart GM wouldn't negiocate with him until the season is over so that we can have a better evaluation of the player he really is; a lazy player like in 06-07 or a star like in 07-08. Purely, from a business point of view, it would be the best decision to wait. If he has a good season, he will get as much as he could get right now or not a lot more... and if he has a mediocre season, we wouldn't have to re-sign him or pay him as much as we would right now... and the reality is that there are more chances he doesn't have a better season than the previous season, 07-08.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Of course he wants a new contract... he just ended a season he probably will never surpass in terms of production. He couldn't ask for a better time to negiocate his contract...

However, a smart GM wouldn't negiocate with him until the season is over so that we can have a better evaluation of the player he really is; a lazy player like in 06-07 or a star like in 07-08. Purely, from a business point of view, it would be the best decision to wait. If he has a good season, he will get as much as he could get right now or not a lot more... and if he has a mediocre season, we wouldn't have to re-sign him or pay him as much as we would right now... and the reality is that there are more chances he doesn't have a better season than the previous season, 07-08.
If there is anything that has been learned over the past few seasons is that teams who negotiate and sign contracts with players one year before the end of their contract save tons of money. How much do you think Kovalev would fetch on the open market after an other great season and a potential cap increase? Streit would not have cost $4.24M at the start of last season.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If there is anything that has been learned over the past few seasons is that teams who negotiate and sign contracts with players one year before the end of their contract save tons of money. How much do you think Kovalev would fetch on the open market after an other great season and a potential cap increase? Streit would not have cost $4.24M at the start of last season.
So true, if anyone remembers, Streit was talking to Gainey and the reports were around 2,5 mil per for a couple of season when they talked in the season...

But Sssssssssssssssht!!

It's so much more sensational to be alarmist.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Hmm, I don't get what's funny. Tanguay has put up a higher PPG average in his career all the while being MUCH better defensively AND being in the more defensive western conference.
the western conference has only been the more defensive conference for 2 or 3 years. There was a time when the Sharks, Canucks, Oilers, Predators etc played run and gun hockey. It was in this time where Alex Tanguay spent a large portion of his career. It could be argued (well not really but since you decided to use a stupid arguement I may as well) that his numbers are inflated because he did not spend that part of his career against the real defensive powers such as New Jersey, Philly, Ottawa and Carolina.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
That's such a coincidence ! I just tought about that 2 minutes ago while I was having a **** ! I say it could be a great move depending of the salary he seeks.
Why don't you go pop a few Ex-Lax, Spree, and think long and hard about Sundin signing here?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Our coaching staff makes our PP work, not Kovalev.

If we can shift from our point shot (Souray) to our wing shot (Kovalev), we can switch it up again.
Coaches don't score goals, players do. Streit is gone. Take away Kovalev, and I wonder how well the PP will work this coming season. It may be just as good but it may be mediocre.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
znk

Quote:
But the situation we are talking about here is different. How many players at Kovalev's age got a huge increase (or an increase at all?) in salary this season ? Kovalev is old. And he's not going to improve or get better at his age. And usually when they get signed at his age, they don't get 3 years contract. Most of them get one year contract.

Just look at the players who are 34 and over for this summer:
The vast majority of them are not signed... And there's probably only Brian Rolston who got an increase in salary.

As for Streit, it's normal he wouldn't have cost us 4.24M$ at the start of the season... it's his first and only good season... and he's still not that old. And it would have been crazy to give him more than 2M at the beginning of the season because he was unproven; Kovalev will only prove in his next seasons that his best years are behind him.
OK Ryder then? Was his extremly good season responsible for the doubling of his salary?

If Sundin was paid $5.5M last season...if he comes back he'll make more. In fact he could be making $10M because that's what vancouver is ready to pay him.

Old
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Zinger

Give us 84 more points and we give him a 3 year/$16.5 million contract next summer....

Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Why don't you go pop a few Ex-Lax, Spree, and think long and hard about Sundin signing here?
Yeah, when I have a programming problem or other tough decisions, pooping always gives me great wisdom and luck, I call it my Magic Pooping Moment.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
But the situation we are talking about here is different. How many players at Kovalev's age got a huge increase (or an increase at all?) in salary this season ? Kovalev is old. And he's not going to improve or get better at his age. And usually when they get signed at his age, they don't get 3 years contract. Most of them get one year contract.

Just look at the players who are 34 and over for this summer:
The vast majority of them are not signed... And there's probably only Brian Rolston who got an increase in salary.

As for Streit, it's normal he wouldn't have cost us 4.24M$ at the start of the season... it's his first and only good season... and he's still not that old. And it would have been crazy to give him more than 2M at the beginning of the season because he was unproven; Kovalev will only prove in his next seasons that his best years are behind him.
The demands that Streit made was for 2.5 per, as the reports said, and that was more than halfway through the season and he was close to 0,75 ppg... he also came off a 42 points season in his softmore year.

Signing Kovalev now, at a fair price would be good to the organization as these kinda talks (a year before end of contract) are usually centered around the fact that both parties want to stay together and a middle ground should be easy to find.

IMO, Lecavalier got underpaid (he could easily have asked for 10 mil+) but he wanted to sign right away. The same will probably happen with Kovy. I don't think he will go over the present amount he's earning. He knows that asking too much will shackle the Habs and they will be unable to keep the whole team together.

Old
07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
If Rolston at the age of 36 can land a ridiculous 4 year deal, then why can't Kovy get 3 years?

You people wanting $3 million are in a for one hell of a surprise. The guy, with another year almost like last year's, will get $8 million from someone.
Fixed it for ya.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Fergy22

[QUOTE=Black Label;14766483]Of course

Just look at my avatar

I had Fitch in class as an 8th grade math student.

Fergy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:24 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Let not overreact here.... we're paying him 4.5 million now.... how much does he want... How dead set is he on the extension being three years... that is the questions we must ask first....

If he is willing to settle at 10 million for 2 years + a team option for the third year at 5million more.... I'd do it.
Team options are not allowed.

Options to cancel the contract if he doesn't score 30 goals are not allowed.

He is over 35 now, and even if he retires unless FORCED TO MEDICALLY, the team is stuck with the cap hit. Same thing with Rolston, by the way, and it is also the reason teams hesitated to give Jagr a multi-year deal.

Seriously, this is a big flaw with the CBA. There is no reason for teams to be hit with a cap number if it is NOT being paid out!!

Old
07-06-2008, 07:31 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Why would you do this?

1st, the guy is 35.
2nd, the guy is as inconsistent as they come. How do we know which kovalev shows up this season.
3rd, it comes down to Tanguay vs Kovalev. We've got so many guys who can compete for top 6 spots on the wing...we're gonna have to let one of these two go.

I think Andrei can replace Kovalev's production as early as next year (09-10) and Sergei definitely deserves a spot on the top 6. Then, you've got Latendresse, Maxwell and Pacioretty who could all be shooting for a top 6 spot.

I say trade the guy while his value is high, very high. We could get a great prospect and pick for him.

I'm not interested in a prospect and a pick for Kovalev. I am interested in KEEPING our biggest IMPACT player on the ice this year. The ONLY way I would trade him is in return for another IMPACT player.

I am not so blithely convinced that Andrei Kostitsyn can make the Second All-Star Team of the NHL next year, in other words REPLACE Kovy fully.

And no, we DON'T have to let one of Tanguay or Kovy go after this season. If they'
re good, keep them.

For me, it's simple. We do NOT extend him until we see what kind of season he is having. Then, if it is a similar season to last, we give him $7-8M on a ONE-year contract. If it is a 90-point season, heck give him $9M.....but only for one year!

I think Kovy will have trouble getting a multi-year contract.

Old
07-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Team options are not allowed.

Options to cancel the contract if he doesn't score 30 goals are not allowed.

He is over 35 now, and even if he retires unless FORCED TO MEDICALLY, the team is stuck with the cap hit. Same thing with Rolston, by the way, and it is also the reason teams hesitated to give Jagr a multi-year deal.

Seriously, this is a big flaw with the CBA. There is no reason for teams to be hit with a cap number if it is NOT being paid out!!
Kovalev won't do that to the Habs. The only way I see him doing that is by injury and the cap hit won't count for this. I think it is ridiculous to think Kovalev wouldn't honor his contract. He's very professional and I think the chances of this happening are extremely slim.

Old
07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
At his age, if he sign for more money than he got in his last contract, there is something wrong with hockey...

The guy is getting old and need to take a paycut or he can leave...
There is something wrong with YOu if you can't see that Kovy is worth more than $4.5M per year TODAY. However, I agree NO MULTI-YEARS.

Old
07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
znk

Is an extension treated he same as a new contract when it comes to the age of the player?

Old
07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
If you want to compare Kovalev to another player; don't compare him to Sundin. Compare him to a guy like Naslund. Both had some great seasons, some average ones... Both were born in 1973; Naslund had 0.79 PPG in his entire career; Kovalev 0.81. Naslund was captain of the nucks for a few seasons; Kovalev replaced Koivu as a captain for a few games. Naslund signed a 2 years contract at 4 million/season. He took a paycut.
Big difference here. Naslund is on the downside of his career. Was pretty evident last year despite some fine stats. But it clearly didn't look to me last year that Kovalev was.

Naslund got 4 this year. You have know that if Kovy would have been UFA this year, he would not have gotten 4.....Clearly teams like the Rags and/or the Pens with what they've lost would have started at 5.5 with him.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Was Ryder 35+ ? No. My point is that old players don't get long terms contract unless they have always been excellent. Sundin may get an increase but he has been one of the best for almost maybe 18 years in a row. Kovalev has not.

If you want to compare Kovalev to another player; don't compare him to Sundin. Compare him to a guy like Naslund. Both had some great seasons, some average ones... Both were born in 1973; Naslund had 0.79 PPG in his entire career; Kovalev 0.81. Naslund was captain of the nucks for a few seasons; Kovalev replaced Koivu as a captain for a few games. Naslund signed a 2 years contract at 4 million/season. He took a paycut.

BTW, we'll see what happens; though, odds are better that he has a worse season and that signing him at his highest value would be a mistake.
No Ryder wasn't 35, but he had 14goals and finished the year as a healthy scratch. Even so, he got a 1M+ increase in salary per year for the next 3seasons.

So, if a young player after a bad year can get that, how much can a very skilled veteran coming off 2 great/good seasons can get??..(considering Kovalev would hit the UFA market next year after another successful season)

Naslund is coming off 2bad seasons and everybody has been saying he lost his touch since Moore/Bertuzzi incident.
And you're actually proving the point with the Naslund example. Even after 2 bad seasons, he still got signed to 5M, which is more than Kovalev is making while being less productive/important than him on his respective team.

What about Rolston?..isn't he 35?..didn't he get a 4year deal?

Sure Sundin might be more of an ''impact'' player than Kovalev because he's been consistent, but Kovalev is OUR impact player,
isn't Sundin 2years older as well?..yet he still got offered a 2year deal of 20M.

A 3year deal or 2year option for 3rd type deal is not a bad idea at all. I don't think Kovalev's main issue is to make some money so he doesn't have to perform as well and can just relax.
With the new league in Russia, if that's what he wanted, he wouldn't want an extension here.
If Jagr got 35M, Kovalev could get a lot of cash as well.

Kovalev actually wants to play here, he likes it, it was evident last year. He doesn't want to leave, enjoys playing with the youngster and being looked at as THE man of team yet some morons here whine about him wanting an extension.

We keep hearing about stars not wanting to come here BS, now our main star wants to stay here and a lot of posters are saying no way

Some people are weird.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:50 PM
znk

Quote:
Was Ryder 35+ ? No. My point is that old players don't get long terms contract unless they have always been excellent. Sundin may get an increase but he has been one of the best for almost maybe 18 years in a row. Kovalev has not.

BTW, we'll see what happens; though, odds are better that he has a worse season and that signing him at his highest value would be a mistake.
Kovalev was 4th on the team for average time on ice....Naslund was 10th on his team. Kovalev scored the 2nd most goals and 2nd most points of his career. I'm not going to compare him with a player who just had his worst season in 11 years. How would that make any kind of sense?

Old
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Adam91

Kovalev and Naslund are not comparable at this stage of their careers. Naslund's point totals have gone down consistently over the past 3 seasons. Kovy's is much more versitile then Naslund and can play on the PK, first unit PP and 1st pairing 4on4.
Naslund wasn't even on the Canucks 1st unit PP for the majority of the season, and the Canucks PP was terrible.

Adam91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:34 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

We don't know for sure if this is true or not. One way or another, we will want to sign him at the end of the season depending on the money. If the money is right now, I say why not. I think in the new market, he is worth 6mil$. Kariya got 6mil$ in STL. If we could get him close to 5.5mil$, it would be a great deal for us.

We will need to re-sign Komisarek, Tanguay and Koivu also for the next few years. Why not start now. Weither Kovalev should be priority n1 or not is another question but if Kovalev wants a extension, we should look at the situation and try to make it happen right now and pass to the next one (Komisarek).

Komi should get between 4.5 to 5mil$ long term along with a NTC.

Koivu, I think will be tougher to re-sign because I wonder how much of a pay cut he would be ready to take. As much as I like him, he will need to take a pay cut in the 3.5mil$ per. 3 years tops.

Tanguay, we will need to see how things work out this year but he should get between 5.5 to 6mil$ per long term.

And then Plakenec, Higgins, Latendresse and few others...

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:44 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
We don't know for sure if this is true or not. One way or another, we will want to sign him at the end of the season depending on the money. If the money is right now, I say why not. I think in the new market, he is worth 6mil$. Kariya got 6mil$ in STL. If we could get him close to 5.5mil$, it would be a great deal for us.

We will need to re-sign Komisarek, Tanguay and Koivu also for the next few years. Why not start now. Weither Kovalev should be priority n1 or not is another question but if Kovalev wants a extension, we should look at the situation and try to make it happen right now and pass to the next one (Komisarek).

Komi should get between 4.5 to 5mil$ long term along with a NTC.

Koivu, I think will be tougher to re-sign because I wonder how much of a pay cut he would be ready to take. As much as I like him, he will need to take a pay cut in the 3.5mil$ per. 3 years tops.

Tanguay, we will need to see how things work out this year but he should get between 5.5 to 6mil$ per long term.

And then Plakenec, Higgins, Latendresse and few others...
Lots of talk considering its another unsubtantiated rumour.

I can't see the Habs going forward with Kovy at the money he's going to want, I would guess $5 million+ per year for two years and maybe a 3rd year club/player option.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote