HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Teams you should expect to start trading/signing.

Old
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman99 View Post
atlanta definitely needs to pick up the pace

calgary may also make another fair sized trade to get a top6 forward

ive got a hunch a trade is coming between chicago and either atlanta or the kings
2 ideas

1st
To Thrashers
RW Martin Havlat

To Hawks
2nd round pick
RW Spencer Machacek

2nd
To Kings
RW Martin Havlat

To Hawks
2nd round pick
LW Matt Moulson

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Atlanta's very high on Spencer and seeing as how DW's drafting over the past three years is what has spared him his job more or less he won't be moving any prospects unless he gets a great deal for Pavelec.

I though Havlat's a LW, and Atlanta is "stuck" with Kovalchuk and Kozlov for next season.

Can Havlat play RW?

Waddell's said for a while (even at the draft) that he has to make a trade for a player despite whomever he got from free agency.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Atlanta's very high on Spencer and seeing as how DW's drafting over the past three years is what has spared him his job more or less he won't be moving any prospects unless he gets a great deal for Pavelec.

I though Havlat's a LW, and Atlanta is "stuck" with Kovalchuk and Kozlov for next season.

Can Havlat play RW?

Waddell's said for a while (even at the draft) that he has to make a trade for a player despite whomever he got from free agency.
Havlat can play both wings!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Lunatik*

do the kings have any interest in a salary dump defenseman a la Gauthier

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Boomhower

Khabibulin is the obvious misstep in Chicago.
Lang is the not so obvious reason, I knew that contract was horrendous and would eventually come back to hurt them.

The Hawks will be able to get under no problem, but Lang is still a whole bunch of wasted cap space.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:01 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Once Detroit has Filppula signed they will be very close to cap as well. You very well could see Quincey, Meech, possibly Kopecky or Lebda waived/traded.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:08 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Flyers are fine once Rathje & Hatcher are placed on LTIR

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:32 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARADISO8116 View Post
The Isles also have I believe 6 guys going to arbitration, so that salary number will go up in time.

Sal
Isles have 1 guy going to arbitration(Bergenheim).

The other 5 rfas aren't arbitration eligible.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Aequitas

oilers will be making a trade with one of those teams the op stated as they could still dump some salary and are still looking for a top 3 forward.

Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

To Kings
RW Martin Havlat

To Hawks
2nd round pick
LW Matt Moulson
Take that. Havlat second line with Froly and Handzus/Stoll/Boyle.

Would like a 3-4 Defenseman also.
Lower your number talk to the Kings.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Jaded-Fan

Danny Briere ($6.5 million), Kimmo Timonen ($6.3 million) Mike Richards ($5.75 million), Simon Gagne ($5.25 million), Jeff Carter ($5 million) and Scott Hartnell ($4.25 million) have the Flyers committing nearly 60 percent of their cap to 6 players. With Carter not giving a single year of UFA in exchange. I understand the Pens have a top heavy salary structure as well, but those names above are not Crosby and Malkin. The Flyers can play with LTIR as stated above, and have done so in the past, but unless the cap keeps rising significantly they may find moving one of those contracts preferable eventually to finding outs each year to shed salary.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
oilers will be making a trade with one of those teams the op stated as they could still dump some salary and are still looking for a top 3 forward.
Hemsky Horcoff Cole
Cogliano Gagne Penner

not enough?

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You are wrong because that's the whole idea of LTIR is to put your players on it who aren't going to play until later in the season, if at all.

Also if someone gets hurt and only misses a month they only need to go on IR and the Flyers not call anyone else up. You don't have to use the cap space you gain to replace players when they get hurt. On LTIR that player comes off the cap entirely. Ask Richard Matvichuk.
Actually, that's wrong Kim. I did a lot of research on this last year, many thanks to Patrice Bergeron, and Manny Fernandez. A player who is on LTIR still has his salary count against the cap. You are given relief to go over the cap, however, to the extent that you are spending money to replace that player. For example, if the Flyers bring up a minor leaguer to take Hatcher's spot, they are allowed to go over the cap by the amount of that roster player's salary for the ratio of the season that Hatcher is injured. Hatcher's salary still counts against the cap.

Quote:
When Rathje goes on and if Hatcher does to (Holmgren has said that Hatcher is starting the year on LTIR) the Flyers will be ~$1.5M under the cap to start the season.
As stated above, it doesn't work that way. The Flyers will have to get under the cap including Hatcher and Rathje's salary.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Do you really think Leclaire needs mentoring? He's not the problem in Columbus.
He'd definitely not the problem. In fact... he's been terrific for your guys. I went to OSU... so I watched just about every CBJ game I could (that didn't interfere w/ my pens).

He could use someone there to help him out though... maybe a reliable older back up that can teach him a few tricks of the trade to make him into the star that he CAN be.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles have 1 guy going to arbitration(Bergenheim).

The other 5 rfas aren't arbitration eligible.
Sorry I meant qualifying offers.

07-06-2008, 07:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Actually, that's wrong Kim. I did a lot of research on this last year, many thanks to Patrice Bergeron, and Manny Fernandez. A player who is on LTIR still has his salary count against the cap. You are given relief to go over the cap, however, to the extent that you are spending money to replace that player. For example, if the Flyers bring up a minor leaguer to take Hatcher's spot, they are allowed to go over the cap by the amount of that roster player's salary for the ratio of the season that Hatcher is injured. Hatcher's salary still counts against the cap.

As stated above, it doesn't work that way. The Flyers will have to get under the cap including Hatcher and Rathje's salary.
They got under the cap last year by doing exactly what they did with Rathje. And then made trades during the season where they took on salary in Vandermeer/Modry and Prospal

I don't know where you got your info from, but the Devils did something similar with Richard Matvichuk and had to wait until the last game of the 2007 season to take him off because that's when they were able to fit him under the cap, and the only part that counted on the cap was whatever 1 game of salary is. And he was healthy for half the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:53 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post

thats totally wrong. we were over the cap last year then placed Rathje and Primeau (yes, technically he was still on the payroll) on LTIR which gave us cap relief for however long he would be on LTIR (since he was on for the whole season, we were able to use his $3.5m elsewere). Then when Gagne was placed on the LTIR (i'm not sure exactly when, hypothetically speaking let's say it was halfway through the season) half of his salary would have counted againt the cap, but the other half (since he was palced on LTIR for the rest of the season) gave use more room to spend what would be his salary elsewere (Prospal)

it's the same as signing a player at the deadline, for example: Forsberg. His cap number was $5mil, but it was prorated to $1.123m as the actual cap hit since he wasnt on the roster for the whole NHL season

Old
07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely

They got under the cap last year by doing exactly what they did with Rathje. And then made trades during the season where they took on salary in Vandermeer/Modry and Prospal

I don't know where you got your info from, but the Devils did something similar with Richard Matvichuk and had to wait until the last game of the 2007 season to take him off because that's when they were able to fit him under the cap, and the only part that counted on the cap was whatever 1 game of salary is. And he was healthy for half the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely

thats totally wrong. we were over the cap last year then placed Rathje and Primeau (yes, technically he was still on the payroll) on LTIR which gave us cap relief for however long he would be on LTIR (since he was on for the whole season, we were able to use his $3.5m elsewere). Then when Gagne was placed on the LTIR (i'm not sure exactly when, hypothetically speaking let's say it was halfway through the season) half of his salary would have counted againt the cap, but the other half (since he was palced on LTIR for the rest of the season) gave use more room to spend what would be his salary elsewere (Prospal)

it's the same as signing a player at the deadline, for example: Forsberg. His cap number was $5mil, but it was prorated to $1.123m as the actual cap hit since he wasnt on the roster for the whole NHL season
Actually cneely is 100% correct.

I'd better answer before Irish Blues pops another aneurism answering it again.

Players on LTIR (technically the "Bona-Fide Long-TermInjury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit") DO COUNT AGAINST THE CAP. It is just that the team is then allowed to exceed the cap by up to the salary of the injured player.

For the Gory details, see CBA Article 50.10(d) - including example illustrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 50.10(d)
(d) Bona-Fide Long-TermInjury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In
the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and
unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes,
in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit
to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular
Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an
additional Player or Players to its Active Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and
Bonuses of such additional Player(s) may increase the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an
amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit
, solely as, and to the extent and for the
duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to challenge the determination
of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the Bona-Fide Long-
Term Injury/Illness Exception, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly confer and
jointly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician's determination
regarding the Player's fitness to play.
(i) A Club seeking to exercise the Bona-Fide Long-Term
Injury/Illness Exception must simultaneously so notify Central
Registry and the NHLPA, in writing, before any Player replacing
an unfit-to-play Player shall be permitted to play with the Club;

(ii) The Player Salary and Bonuses of the Player that has been deemed
unfit-to-play shall continue to be counted toward the Club's
Averaged Club Salary
as well as count against the Players' Share
during the League Year in which the Player is deemed unfit-toplay
(including during the period such unfit-to-play Player is on a
Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan
to another league);

(iii) The total replacement Player Salary and Bonuses for a Player or
Players that have replaced an unfit-to-play Player may not in the
aggregate exceed the amount of the Player Salary and Bonuses of
the unfit-to-play Player who the Club is replacing;

(iv) The replacement Player Salary and Bonuses for any Player(s) that
replace(s) an unfit-to-play Player may be added to the Club's
Averaged Club Salary until such time as the Club's Averaged Club
Salary reaches the Upper Limit. A Club may then exceed the
Upper Limit due to the addition of replacement Player Salary and
Bonuses of Players who have replaced an unfit-to-play Player,
provided, however, that when the unfit-to-play Player is once again
fit to play (including any period such Player is on a Bona Fide
Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception Conditioning Loan to another
league), the Club shall be required to once again reduce its
Averaged Club Salary to a level at or below the Upper Limit prior
to the Player being able to rejoin the Club. To the extent any
Player who is unfit-to-play becomes fit to play during the period of
the Roster Freeze set forth in Article 13, the provisions of this
Section 50.10(d)(iv) requiring a Club to come back into
compliance with the Payroll Range shall supersede the provisions
of Article 13 restricting transactions during the Roster Freeze;

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARADISO8116 View Post
Sorry I meant qualifying offers.
ah I'd be worried if the isles had 6 guys going to arbitration.

Hopefully they reach a multi yr agreement with Bergenheim,before his arbitration hearing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

yes, thats what i said....it doesnt count against the cap, but it still doesn count againsth e club's avg. salary

like a player's actually cap hit and not what he's actually getting paid, the cap number is all that matters

Old
07-06-2008, 08:37 PM
fIREnIcE

If thats the price for Havlat, and is so low I wouldnt be surprised to see the devils get into it, sure we'd have to tade some guys(which we stilll need to sure up some d men, or drop some bodies to lowell which we were are going to do anyways(brookbank mattau).

I Know Martin Havlat comes with a 5mil tag but hed be hurt for half the season for 2.5. which is a bargain cause he still gonna put up some good points. On top of that he is Patty Elias' best friend.

Im sure Lou would like to see what they could do together, other than his rep for poor work ethic a non devil attribute. could really make us the threat in the east behind the pens and bolts 1-2-3, plus i think we have better depth and dfensive fowards a nd of course a better goalie fo sho

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:08 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
yes, thats what i said....it doesnt count against the cap, but it still doesn count againsth e club's avg. salary

like a player's actually cap hit and not what he's actually getting paid, the cap number is all that matters
Nope. A player's average salary is his cap hit. A teams "Average Club Salary" is the teams cap number which must be below the Upper Limit with two exceptions - the Performance Bonus Cushion and teh Bona Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception.

Again - A player on LTIR still has his salary count against the cap. It is just that a team has an exception to exceed the cap. If a team is not at or near the cap, they get absolutely no cap relief from LTIR.

Here is an example illustration staright from the CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 50.10(d)
General Illustration:
A Player with a Player Salary of $1.5 million becomes unfit to play for
more than 24 calendar days and 10 NHL Regular Season games. At
the time the Player becomes unfit to play, his Club has an Averaged
Club Salary of $39.5 million, and the Upper Limit in that League Year
is $40 million. The Club may replace the unfit-to-play Player with
another Player or Players with an aggregate Player Salary and Bonuses
of up to $1.5 million. The first $500,000 of such replacement Player
Salary and Bonuses shall count toward the Club's Averaged Club
Salary, bringing the Averaged Club Salary to the Upper Limit. The
Club may then exceed the Upper Limit by up to another $1 million as
a result of the replacement Player Salary and Bonuses
. However, if
the unfit-to-play Player once again becomes fit to play, and the Club
has not otherwise created any Payroll Room during the interim period,
then the Player shall not be permitted to rejoin the Club until such time
as the Club reduces its Averaged Club Salary to below the Upper
Limit.

Old
07-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Reydin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Nope. A player's average salary is his cap hit. A teams "Average Club Salary" is the teams cap number which must be below the Upper Limit with two exceptions - the Performance Bonus Cushion and teh Bona Fide Long Term Injury/Illness Exception.

Again - A player on LTIR still has his salary count against the cap. It is just that a team has an exception to exceed the cap. If a team is not at or near the cap, they get absolutely no cap relief from LTIR.

Here is an example illustration staright from the CBA.
Isn't this how New Jersey got around going over the cap with Mogilny a couple of years ago?

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:53 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reydin View Post
Isn't this how New Jersey got around going over the cap with Mogilny a couple of years ago?
They didn't get around going over the cap - they DID go over the cap - but they were allowed to because AlMo was put on LTIR.

Old
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:

Irish Blues, and I believe he has a stronger grasp of the CBA than you.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote