HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

hands

Old
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
hands

hi, im not a very big player so i dont make a lot of hits but when i do i use my hands lol. lets say im on the defensive side of a 1 on 1 and i knock my opponent over by pushing him with my hands instead my shoulder is this a penalty? i havent gotten called for anything yet but i dont hit very often. when we do drills in practice i use my hands like that and my friends get pissed and tell me its a penalty. so i was just wondering about hitting with the hands. thanks guys

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
PEI Hockey

It all depends on whether you hit them in the head or the chest. If you get them in the chest, no penalty.

Also, if you "stiff arm" them with no movement in the arm as opposed to thrusting your arm in sort of a punching motion, it won't be a penalty.

PEI Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI Hockey View Post
It all depends on whether you hit them in the head or the chest. If you get them in the chest, no penalty.

Also, if you "stiff arm" them with no movement in the arm as opposed to thrusting your arm in sort of a punching motion, it won't be a penalty.
Not sure what drugs you took before you answered this, but they must have been good ones as your info is dead wrong.

You can use your body and strength to gain position around the net but you can't use your hands to push over an opponent like you describe, that's not legal. Just because you haven't been called doesn't mean you shouldn't have been. The whole thing of using the hands for hitting an opponent isn't legal in a non-checking league

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Homerocks*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Not sure what drugs you took before you answered this, but they must have been good ones as your info is dead wrong.

You can use your body and strength to gain position around the net but you can't use your hands to push over an opponent like you describe, that's not legal. Just because you haven't been called doesn't mean you shouldn't have been. The whole thing of using the hands for hitting an opponent isn't legal in a non-checking league
It very likely will be called a penalty in a checking league too. With the new rules, anytime you place your palm on a player while defending, you are susceptible to taking a penalty....although this is called less at lower levels of hockey.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:40 PM
PEI Hockey

Quote:

The drugs I took were refereeing experience. If you put your hands into the chest of a player as they approach with straight arms and shove them back, that is not a penalty. It is a penalty however, when you skate at them and hit them with straight arms. If you are going back and just stop with your arms straight into the chest, there is no penalty.

Quote:
isn't legal in a non-checking league
Did you read this before you posted it? No contact is allowed in non-checking leagues, hands or no hands.

You must be one of the parents that thinks they know every detail of the game, but in reality doesn't have a clue.

PEI Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI Hockey View Post
The drugs I took were refereeing experience. If you put your hands into the chest of a player as they approach with straight arms and shove them back, that is not a penalty. It is a penalty however, when you skate at them and hit them with straight arms. If you are going back and just stop with your arms straight into the chest, there is no penalty.

Did you read this before you posted it? No contact is allowed in non-checking leagues, hands or no hands.

You must be one of the parents that thinks they know every detail of the game, but in reality doesn't have a clue.
If you put your arms into a player and they're straight, you can't push anything, it's physically impossible. Not sure to what extent your reffing skills are based, but there is most certainly contact in non-checking leagues, it's explained in one of those "rule books". Try reviewing it. Oh, and USAH Level 3.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
WinCityHypeMachine

Do not know what the rule is, but we had a Defenseman on our team a couple years ago that used his hands to check exactly how you describe every single time he hit someone, and he was not once called for the penalty in a 65+ game season. (Yes, checking was legal)

WinCityHypeMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Aaron Ward is famous for this, he takes his right arm off his stick and basically punches the opposing player in the chest as they're skating side by side. I've never seen him called for it.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocheBag View Post
Aaron Ward is famous for this, he takes his right arm off his stick and basically punches the opposing player in the chest as they're skating side by side. I've never seen him called for it.
Ya, that's because he playes in the NHL. I not sure that "geekdrummer" is asking because he want to make sure he gets around Ward and doesn't want to get called.

It use to be where you could use one hand to impede the progress of your opponent. However, two years ago, USA Hockey put a kibosh on this whole notion of impeding ones progress. Maybe a director's kid was getting man handled...who knows.

However, today I see a lot of referee's not making the proper call. If a kid places a hand on another kid, some ref's call it and some ref's don't. I just want them to be consistent in making the call...can we just do that?

One of the problems we are going to have is the inconsistencies in the rules from country to country. Here in the US, it's not allowed. But when we go play around the world...it is! Then I have seen ref's here in the US not make the calls because..."Oh, the other team did know!" Fine then don't call it at all. Or, make the bloody call, for goodness sakes.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 07-07-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote