HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: Wimbledon final today..the best match in history?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2008, 11:36 PM
  #51
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
global showed the finals on the weekend, every other day TSN had coverage starting at 5am lasting until about 3 or 4pm usually.
Thanks. No wonder I didn't see any of it. CBC and most broadcasters usually have enough commonsense to televise as an evening or latenight version for people in Canada who don't want to spend every day indoors watching tennis. Or for people who are actually working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post
don't hate tsn, NBC had exlusive rights the the finals. so calm down about the tsn bashing
tsn didn't have any evening timeslots I am aware of when it makes most sense to be televising this. Like I said its a no brainer for most broadcasters to do that even on time delay or on repeat which is done EVERY other time.

Without a doubt the ********* broadcasting accessibility I've ever noted. Didn't get to see a single match.

ps tsn even managed to **** up the euro2008 telecasts by not sticking to the same repeat time slots each night. or sometimes they'd just repeat one game or none at all or whatever they basically felt like doing. Most broadcasters STANDARDIZE repeat time recast slots for any tournaments they televise so viewers can habituate to the time slot and know when its on. TSN was doing something different with Euro2008 every other night. Clueless broadcaster.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
  #52
choppystride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post



The guy is chronically histrionic and way over the top with his fist pumps and gestures and primal screams after almost every game.

I actually liked Nadal initially for a very short period of time until I realized it didn't matter whether he was playing opening rounds or a final that his pump it up routine never stopped.

He goes passionatly nuts over any win and it always seems like he's stopped hitler in his tracks or something. Not that he won a tennis match.

That said I adhere to the Bryan Kelly school of Touchdown celebration. "Act like you been there before."

His nonstop antics show zero respect to his opponents and most of his stuff reminds me of Theo Fleury fist pumping and riding his stick up and down the ice after scoring a playoff goal against the Oil.

Some people like this stuff I guess.

The kid can play theres no doubt. But watching his antics for 15 mins just makes me turn the channel and this is from a longtime tennis fan.

Anybody but Rafael.
Geez, I guess you must absolutely loathe Ovechkin then, eh?

Not sure if you've watched the French Open final when Nadal absolutely destroyed Federer. After the win, Nadal had a very subdued celebration. In fact, it was almost non-existent. And that was out of respect for Federer who's just suffered one of his most humiliating defeats.

Personally, I think Nadal is just a kid being a kid. And frankly, he's been maturing quite a bit.

choppystride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
  #53
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppystride View Post
Geez, I guess you must absolutely loathe Ovechkin then, eh?

Not sure if you've watched the French Open final when Nadal absolutely destroyed Federer. After the win, Nadal had a very subdued celebration. In fact, it was almost non-existent. And that was out of respect for Federer who's just suffered one of his most humiliating defeats.

Personally, I think Nadal is just a kid being a kid. And frankly, he's been maturing quite a bit.
Ovechkin is actually playing a physical contact sport that involves loads of risk, energy, crash, bang, and so naturally comes replete with displays of testosterone and emotion.
I've played hockey and one can sometimes get pumped up doing so and its naturally given to displays of adrenaline and occasionally letting loose and even losing control outright.

I've also played tennis all my life and watched it all my life and I've NEVER seen a player act anything like this or ever noted anybody feel they had to do all this nonstop pumping and gesticulating and manic primalscreaming and contorting. I mean the guy does the "Yeah bash fist pump" every other point..you don't think its overboard? he's like a walking manic Nike add pumped up on speed.

Throw this guy an electric guitar or something.

He somehow got off at the wrong gig.


Last edited by Replacement: 07-07-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 06:45 AM
  #54
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,660
vCash: 500
In the 70's and 80's I was a huge tennis fan, particularly of Bjorn Borg. The 1980 final with McEnroe was the best tennis match I had ever see, until yeasterday. Along with Borg, Federer is/was my favourite player to watch. He is an amazingly skilled athlete who has always carried himself with incredible class. I wanted to see him win because it would have completed the passing of the torch. But I must say that Nadal's performance yeasterday was one of the best dispalys of tennis I have ever seen.

I have never played on grass, but have played on both hardcourt and clay. If you have never done this it might be difficult to imagine how much of an adjustment there is for someone who grew up on clay to play on a surface like Wimbledon. There really is a reason why Borg was the last person to win both the French and Wimbledon in the same year.

I am also very surprised about the reaction to Nadal. I have watched this kid his whole career. What has surprised me the most is how humble he appears to be. He does show emotion on the court, but I have never seen the "crybaby attitude" that some on here claim. In fact just the opposite. He has an obvious respect for both the history of the game and for players like Federer, Borg and McEnroe. This kid is a huge star in Europe but his "entourage" consists of his Mom and Dad, his Uncle and other family members. When he is not competing he goes back to Mallorca and hangs out with the same people he grew up with. Listen to McEnroe talk about Nadal. I have never heard him make a negative comment about the kid, and McEnroe is not one to hold back his words.

The Federer/Nadal rivalry is great for tennis. I expect Federer to win the US open, and I would like nothing more than to see him win at Roland Garros. But the way Nadal plays on clay, the latter may be too much to ask.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 07:24 AM
  #55
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ovechkin is actually playing a physical contact sport that involves loads of risk, energy, crash, bang, and so naturally comes replete with displays of testosterone and emotion.
I've played hockey and one can sometimes get pumped up doing so and its naturally given to displays of adrenaline and occasionally letting loose and even losing control outright.

I've also played tennis all my life and watched it all my life and I've NEVER seen a player act anything like this or ever noted anybody feel they had to do all this nonstop pumping and gesticulating and manic primalscreaming and contorting. I mean the guy does the "Yeah bash fist pump" every other point..you don't think its overboard? he's like a walking manic Nike add pumped up on speed.

Throw this guy an electric guitar or something.

He somehow got off at the wrong gig.
So because you get pumped up while playing hockey and not tennis, it's okay to do it in hockey but not in tennis?

That's the only real reason you've given.

I bet you hate Tiger Woods too for his 5 step-followed by a fist pump celebration?

Nadal brings much needed energy to a sport that is dying for it. The energy in a Nadal match is just huge compared to anyone else out there.

Unlike a Connors or Johnny Mac, Nadal manages to still respect the game while he plays.

His continual dominance of Roger Federer will be the one thing that prevents Federer from being named the greatest tennis player of all time.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 08:28 AM
  #56
Sayuri
Registered User
 
Sayuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Alberta, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
So because you get pumped up while playing hockey and not tennis, it's okay to do it in hockey but not in tennis?

That's the only real reason you've given.

I bet you hate Tiger Woods too for his 5 step-followed by a fist pump celebration?

Nadal brings much needed energy to a sport that is dying for it. The energy in a Nadal match is just huge compared to anyone else out there.

Unlike a Connors or Johnny Mac, Nadal manages to still respect the game while he plays.

His continual dominance of Roger Federer will be the one thing that prevents Federer from being named the greatest tennis player of all time.
That is a bit of a stretch. It has only been the last little while that Nadal has been able to really challenge Federer and beat him. As i stated before I really believe the mono has had a larger affect on Federer than he will admit, he doesn't like excuses and isn't making any although by in large he probably could. His physical fitness has dropped off and he seems to tire more easily while his finesse and simple awesomeness is still present. Mono is really hard illness on people and would drastically affect an athletes ability to compete at a high level for long periods of time. The other annoying thing about it is how long it takes to fully recover from it. People commonly suffer from mono upwards of six months and it can take years to be 100% again. I admire how he's held up this past year.

I agree that Nadal is a bit over the top, I also think that about Ovechkin for that matter but that's just my personal opinion. I just happen to prefer the more reserved and humble athletes myself, nothing really personal against either of them and they are both phenomonal at what they do.

I actually just realized how similar the Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal, Sidney Crosby vs. Alex Ovechkin arguements are. The same differences will come up when comparing the players, weird.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:06 AM
  #57
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
His continual dominance of Roger Federer will be the one thing that prevents Federer from being named the greatest tennis player of all time.

that's quite the overstatement there, on clay yes nadal owns everyone but this continual dominance is vastly overstated by people because nadal is the only guy out there who can go into a match with federer and actually have a serious chance to win rather than it just being a major upset, so because nadal is actually good enough to compete with federer people think he dominates him when i don't believe the record actually bears that out.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:06 AM
  #58
Oilerfan120582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
After yesterday's match, I believe Federer's record versus Nadal on surfaces other than clay is now 5-3. Many people have commented on how the surface of Wimbledon has slowed down significantly compared to other years - I've heard people call it 'green clay'.

Because they are the top two seeds they will only play in finals, but they usually play on clay because while Federer is clearly the second best in the world on clay, Nadal is usually eliminated before the finals on hardcourts. He plays with so much spin which is most effective on clay and least effective on a hardcourt.

Nadal has really toned down his antics lately on court and has always been a quiet, respectful kid off the court.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
  #59
bone
Registered User
 
bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 842
vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
Anybody else see that match today between Federer and Nadal? I have to say it was the greatest tennis match I have ever seen in my life. Agreed?
Definitely!! I never watch Tennis, yet, I couldn't take my eyes off that match all day. I don't think I've ever seen two athletes or teams that evenly matched play so perfectly at such a high level for that long of a period in my life. Both guys just absolutely refused to break.

I'd go on a limb towards saying that was one of the best sporting events I have ever witnessed despite not being a fan of either guy or the sport.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:17 AM
  #60
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
that's quite the overstatement there, on clay yes nadal owns everyone but this continual dominance is vastly overstated by people because nadal is the only guy out there who can go into a match with federer and actually have a serious chance to win rather than it just being a major upset, so because nadal is actually good enough to compete with federer people think he dominates him when i don't believe the record actually bears that out.
Nadal is now 12-6 vs Federer, including 10-4 in title matchups.

I'd say that's dominating.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:21 AM
  #61
OttawaOilFan
Registered User
 
OttawaOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
i hate the negativity around here..a thread about possibly the greatest match ever, turns into a nadal haters club. don't like him? don't watch. have nothing good to say? don't post

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
  #62
fuhr
Registered User
 
fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ovechkin is actually playing a physical contact sport that involves loads of risk, energy, crash, bang, and so naturally comes replete with displays of testosterone and emotion.
I've played hockey and one can sometimes get pumped up doing so and its naturally given to displays of adrenaline and occasionally letting loose and even losing control outright.

I've also played tennis all my life and watched it all my life and I've NEVER seen a player act anything like this or ever noted anybody feel they had to do all this nonstop pumping and gesticulating and manic primalscreaming and contorting. I mean the guy does the "Yeah bash fist pump" every other point..you don't think its overboard? he's like a walking manic Nike add pumped up on speed.

Throw this guy an electric guitar or something.

He somehow got off at the wrong gig.
I'd have to disagree with you on this one. Nadal wears his emotion on his sleeve and I think that's a good thing. Not everyone is the same nor should there be some sort of code for what players are allowed to do. Nadal does nothing on the court that is disrespectful to his opponent but rather it is how he gets into a match. Some people don't like guys because they are different then the norm, which is fine, but I personally hav no problem with him. I have much more of an issue with a guy like Novak Djokovic. He comes across as very pompous, which may work for him and others but I'm not a fan.

As for it being the greatest match I've ever seen, it would be a very close second to the McEnroe - Borg match in 1980. It's a totally different game now but it still falls a little short of the McEnroe - Borg match. One thing that stood out from yesterday's match was how hard they were both hitting the ball and Nadal's backhand is ridiculous...it clearly won him the match.

fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
  #63
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
So because you get pumped up while playing hockey and not tennis, it's okay to do it in hockey but not in tennis?

That's the only real reason you've given.
No because a game of tennis doesn't get the anger, emotion, adrenaline flowing nearly as much as a game of hockey.

Quote:
I bet you hate Tiger Woods too for his 5 step-followed by a fist pump celebration?
No I hate him because he married my avatar.

Quote:
Nadal brings much needed energy to a sport that is dying for it. The energy in a Nadal match is just huge compared to anyone else out there.
I liked the energy Boris Becker thhrew out on the court. It seemed real and visceral. With Nadal its like they never said "cut" during one of the nike commercials and he just keeps "doing it"

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:22 PM
  #64
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr View Post
I'd have to disagree with you on this one. Nadal wears his emotion on his sleeve and I think that's a good thing.
Its interesting how different our reactions are to individuals and behaviors. I don't see the Nadal behavior as very genuine. To me its become his shtick and habitual by now rather than an outpouring of unbridled emotion that comes to most of us in a moment of actual rapture.

Seriousness aside if Nadals antics appeared anywhere but a tennis court and say just on a street people would be calling for the paddywagon. As it is my reaction to Nadals histrionics is almost always "huh"?

Quote:
Not everyone is the same nor should there be some sort of code for what players are allowed to do. Nadal does nothing on the court that is disrespectful to his opponent but rather it is how he gets into a match.
Thats fair. It seems I've made more of it than it is.
Quote:
Some people don't like guys because they are different then the norm, which is fine, but I personally hav no problem with him. I have much more of an issue with a guy like Novak Djokovic. He comes across as very pompous, which may work for him and others but I'm not a fan.
Strangely I love Djokovic and his behavior and humor although not the time delaying but both Djoko and Nadal have been accused of that.
But this is what I mean about our differences in perception and our likes and dislikes. I could hang around with Djoko easily and enjoy his company and have some Czech beers. If I was in a room with Nadal for 15 mins he'd already be annoying me. I see his behavior as pompous in a machismo kind of way.

Quote:
As for it being the greatest match I've ever seen, it would be a very close second to the McEnroe - Borg match in 1980. It's a totally different game now but it still falls a little short of the McEnroe - Borg match. One thing that stood out from yesterday's match was how hard they were both hitting the ball and Nadal's backhand is ridiculous...it clearly won him the match.
See this is why I'm a grumpy bear about all of this. instead of watching one of the alledgedly greatest matches of alltime I was sitting around writing reports all day on my supposed day off

I was just feeling a little snarky.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
  #65
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaOilFan View Post
i hate the negativity around here..a thread about possibly the greatest match ever, turns into a nadal haters club. don't like him? don't watch. have nothing good to say? don't post
^This is quite negative.^



I was just grumpy yesterday because I didn't get to see the match and for some inane reason none of the broadcasters saw fit to replay during prime time or latenight which usually happens.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
  #66
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
(Nadal's) nonstop antics show zero respect to his opponents...
Maybe it's a Spanish thing?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:50 PM
  #67
OttawaOilFan
Registered User
 
OttawaOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
^This is quite negative.^

i think you missed the point lol

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
  #68
ekcut
Registered User
 
ekcut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
Anybody else see that match today between Federer and Nadal? I have to say it was the greatest tennis match I have ever seen in my life. Agreed?
What is this "tennis" that you speak of?

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.