HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: Extra Extra, Are You Kidding?

Old
07-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Teddy Peckman

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
TSN: Extra Extra, Are You Kidding?

On the Podcast/Video or whatever you want to call it on the TSN website, listen to Extra Extra, with Dave Hodge, their panel is awful, when they get to the Oilers, it's like they have no idea what they are talking about at all. Actually, almost through the whole video, I guess I shouldnt be surprised, but man, these guys are awful.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Oilers1*

Dave Hodge should be in a retirement home. Is there anyone out there, anywhere, who honestly wants to what Dave Hodge thinks about. . .well, anything?

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:49 PM
jfhlbuffy

That was downright embarassing.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 08:59 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
What was wrong with their bit on the Oilers?

I agree that it would be dumb for a young, developing team to spend that much money long term on one player. Hell, I said the same thing to my folks last week. "Kind of glad Hossa didn't sign that ridiculous cap killing contract."

We have money, tried to spend it, no free agents bit.

Seemed accurate.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
OILFAN #81

Dave Hodge is a "Thumbs Down".

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

I've never really bought into the conspiracy theories, but I have to admit, after they jumped the gun with their "Visnovsky disappointed in being traded to Edmonton" headline, I'm beginning to suspect that they don't really care all that much for accuracy anymore.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:08 PM
philthy mcnasty*

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me what ridiculous statements were made about Edmonton's situation? They didn't say anything wrong or incorrect about the Oilers. They all seemed bang on, although you could tell they obviously aren't paying too close attention, but none-the-less they made valid points.

The only questionable comment said IMO was the one about Thomas Vanek "NEVER" being able to live up to a contract like the one K Lowe signed him to, "no chance". I definitely think in the next 2-3 years he'll more than live up to it.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Alex87

Yeah I'm on bored with the posters who don't think there was too much wrong with that segment.

When I first saw that all the guys on the panel were Eastern media, I cringed thinking it would turn into a "no one wants to play in Edmonton" discussion.

So not a great panel, but much better than most panels would be featuring all Eastern media. Way better than listening to Healy talk about awful Edmonton is at least.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

The moment Dave Hodge lost all credibility as a broadcaster (and yes, he did used to have a fair bit)

TSN's NHL preview show coming out of the lock out, his Stanley Cup pick? The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:25 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
the topics theyre talking about, the amount of effort they care about Edmonton's situation and the amount of time they have to elaborate on it = that thing is a waste of everyones time.

if youre going to do critical analysis on Edmonton's situation on why they wanted to spend money on Hossa, you can read 1,000,000 blogs or listen to Team 1260. to have these turds gloss over it as some after thought doesnt do anyone any good.

its like trying to explain why the US economy is taking a plunge and why oil prices are sky rocketing explained by bumbling nerd, the dad from family ties, one guys face i cant remember and a withered codger with a massive Leafs agenda.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I've never really bought into the conspiracy theories, but I have to admit, after they jumped the gun with their "Visnovsky disappointed in being traded to Edmonton" headline, I'm beginning to suspect that they don't really care all that much for accuracy anymore.
I've said this many times but more and more it just becomes evident that some media outlet simply do less homework than some of the better posters or bloggers out there.

Its like they see one erroneous headline out there and without even factchecking or getting all the details they accept it as foregone conclusion.

This Visnovsky take being a classic example.

I'd rather get my news here online than rely on something like tsn programs. Frankly I never watch these programs anymore.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Jesus

I swear this Edmonton inferiority complex is getting pathetic...

Nothing they said was inaccurate or negative in regards to Edmonton

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:16 PM
PaperDesigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post

Oh please. Stop living in the past. The good people of Edmonton are very busy developing a superiority complex; we're smarter than TSN, smarter than the NHL and smarter than the players. And we have an owner who has more money than you, so nyah!

It's the new way.

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:53 PM
MightyOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I've said this many times but more and more it just becomes evident that some media outlet simply do less homework than some of the better posters or bloggers out there.

Its like they see one erroneous headline out there and without even factchecking or getting all the details they accept it as foregone conclusion.

This Visnovsky take being a classic example.

I'd rather get my news here online than rely on something like tsn programs. Frankly I never watch these programs anymore.
No kidding, bunch of Toronto dudes spouting opinions about players and teams they do not even watch. I just want one of these pompous blow hards to explain why not one ontario boy has taken a discount to come home to play in Toronto, not one.

MightyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:12 PM
twisted by dezign

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
What was wrong with their bit on the Oilers?

I agree that it would be dumb for a young, developing team to spend that much money long term on one player. Hell, I said the same thing to my folks last week. "Kind of glad Hossa didn't sign that ridiculous cap killing contract."

We have money, tried to spend it, no free agents bit.

Seemed accurate.
OT. Diablo 3 is going to own. I just reinstalled D2+LoD to feed my hunger for more Diablo. Are you still playing?

twisted by dezign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:58 AM
eready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post

Totally agree. Nothing they said was inaccurate and I agree with them about Edmonton and the whole Hossa thing...I wanted Hossa, but not for the money and term we were offering.

And I really don't get the 'eastern media bias' BS we always here about...the very last quote off this pod cast was somewhere along the lines of..."the leafs have been giving their fans the finger forever (reference to the Finger signing)." Yeah, these guys are sooo biased.

eready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eready View Post
Totally agree. Nothing they said was inaccurate and I agree with them about Edmonton and the whole Hossa thing...I wanted Hossa, but not for the money and term we were offering.

And I really don't get the 'eastern media bias' BS we always here about...the very last quote off this pod cast was somewhere along the lines of..."the leafs have been giving their fans the finger forever (reference to the Finger signing)." Yeah, these guys are sooo biased.
Your in Toronto, of course you don't get it

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:15 AM
eready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Your in Toronto, of course you don't get it
Well, I live in Toronto but I'm an Edmonton fan (I used to live in Edmonton). But me living in Toronto has nothing to do with listening to the Podcast objectively and assessing whether it's biased.

Can you tell me what exactly in the podcast shows that they have no idea what they are talking about or that they are biased?

eready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

I don't think they really even talked about Edmonton per say, they were talking about the UFA and how much they signed for, pointing out Edmonton was other team, that under our economy now with the canadian dollar can spend, like the Canuks, Just pointing out there are teams that can spend cash that couldn't before.

The one thing he was off about for sure Was Vanek, not sure how he gets of saying he won't live up to the contract. If Ovechkin is worth 9.5 mill, Vanek will be well worth 7 mill.

I thought it was a good point about feeling sorry for guys who will never live up to their contracts, I agree, I don't know what players are thinking some times, they take every last cent, why not take a little less and then you will never be that over paid bum.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote