HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Bertuzzi signs with the Flames

Old
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
the word*

vCash: 500
This is a sad day for hockey in Alberta. Shame on Sutter.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
Oh Thank God we didnt sign him

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
How so? You are digging up the past (even though most flames fans claim that Oilers live the past...) and we are all just saying that you currently do not have a play off centention team. If you don't agree, you can join in on the flames thread where some people are saying that its a Habs-Flames final, where the flames sweep.

Also believe it or not, the Oilers tend to have more success in the playoffs.
You're still missing the point.

The Oilers have missed the playoffs four out of the last seven seasons. Asides from their run in 2006, the last time the Oilers won a playoff round was in 1998. The last time they made the playoffs was in the 2005-06 season, over two seasons ago.

The fact that we as Flames fans are being harped on for making the playoffs from an Oiler fan is just, well, priceless.

That's the point.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:17 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
Oh Thank God we didnt sign him
I think this kind of celebration should be stopped. This is a signing that is bush league, it takes away from the game of hockey. Personally I'm a fan of the game of Hockey. This should be embarrassing for everyone.

Old
07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbourmouth View Post
This is a funny a post. A supporter of the laughing stock of the NHL saying another team is getting pathetic. Newsflash, people turn down 90 million dollars and would rather play in Siberia than sign with the Oilers.
Hossa turned down money for a better chance to win the Stanley Cup. Why else do you think he only signed a one-year deal?

Jagr wanted a longer term contract than any team in the NHL was willing to offer him, so he went back to a place he's previously lived and played.

But hey, if it suits your own worldview to pick and choose facts out of context, who am I to argue?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
You're still missing the point.

The Oilers have missed the playoffs four out of the last seven seasons. Asides from their run in 2006, the last time the Oilers won a playoff round was in 1998. The last time they made the playoffs was in the 2005-06 season, over two seasons ago.

The fact that we as Flames fans are being harped on for making the playoffs from an Oiler fan is just, well, priceless.

That's the point.
No, I get your point. You are talking recent past, I can dig up distant past if you want to play that game. Also, early exits, year after year after year, with the exception of '04 are not much to write home about. We get why you think that your team is untouchable but thats just not how we think around these here parts. mmkay?

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Asides from their run in 2006, the last time the Oilers won a playoff round was in 1998.

Your Shames didn't make the playoffs for seven straight years before their Cinderella run- and don't kid yourself, that's what it was.

Since then, Calgary's become a playoff choker, while the Oilers have used their low finishes to stock up on talent.

Honestly now, which would you rather: burn out of the first round five straight years and then rebuild the next five, or miss the playoffs for five years and be a cup contender for the next ten?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

so, McCarty in 2005
Amonte in 2006
Nolan in 2007

....and now the classless-clown Big Bert in cowtown...way to sign another over-the-hill vet with nothing left Sutter!

This signing takes the cake as terrible...

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dion#3 View Post
. It's alway's about the team crest on the front. Apparently Iginla stood up for the guy - that's enough for me!
YAh!!! Who wants to think for themselves?!!!

Sutter can tell us all how we should feel!

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Asides from their run in 2006, the last time the Oilers won a playoff round was in 1998.
And aside from the Flames run of 2004, the last time the Flames won a playoff round was when Milli Vanilli was "singing" Blame it on the Rain.

Seriously, bringing up playoff round victories as some sort of smack is the last thing Flames fans should bring up.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Heavy Fuel

While I wouldn't particularly want him on my team, if Bert' is motivated and his back holds up, he can make a fair contribution to a team...especially for a one year, less than 2 million deal.

Can't see how it is that bad a deal for Flames, they got some decent service out of a supposedly done Nolan, and maybe they can do the same with Bert...I just wouldn't have done it myself. I give it a 50/50 chance of paying off.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
OMGaudreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
YAh!!! Who wants to think for themselves?!!!

Sutter can tell us all how we should feel!
We can think for ourselves or generalize like the rest, either doesnt make it right! Give him a chance to fail/succeeed before making judgement is all I am saying! Iginla know's Bertuzzi better than you, we can all agree on that.

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Dabomb

I am sooooooooooooo looking forward to this season. I just have this feeling that Calgary is gonna be in for a long long season.

The Keenan effect so far:
- Tanguay gone
- Huselius gone
- Kipper bad year
- now Betuzzi

Its the Iron Mike Show!

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
the word*

...that Iginla endorsed this move should be added embarrassment. How much face can you lose?

Old
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
And aside from the Flames run of 2004, the last time the Flames won a playoff round was when Milli Vanilli was "singing" Blame it on the Rain.

Seriously, bringing up playoff round victories as some sort of smack is the last thing Flames fans should bring up.
So you would agree then, that Edmonton fans bringing up recent playoff history should probably remain silent on the issue themselves?

Just sayin'.

Old
07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Waterboy

Quote:
I just figured out how to send an email to the Flames and stated that I will not watch any of their games, live or pay per view, nor will I buy any of their product. I hope thousands will do the same thing.

The only thing that I can see that would lead Sutter to do something so blatantly ******** is that he was jealous of Risebrough’s legendary stupidity. Aside from that maybe he thought the parking lot was getting too full on game nights. Or maybe he was thinking that the fans needed more elbow room once they were seated in the dome. It could be too that he has been contaminated by fertilizer fumes on the farm. None the less I still can’t believe what has happened.

Maybe you should send down some Oilers paraphernalia as that would be the ultimate insult to the Flames. Turning a true blue Flames fan into an oilers fan has to be worse than turning turning a PC into a Liberal (ala Peter McKay/Belinda Stroncah).

Aaaargh
Just for fun this is an email that I just recieved from a hardcore Flames fan that I'm buddies with. I had a good laugh over it. He HATES Bertuzzi...as you can see!

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post
While I wouldn't particularly want him on my team, if Bert' is motivated and his back holds up, he can make a fair contribution to a team...especially for a one year, less than 2 million deal.

Can't see how it is that bad a deal for Flames, they got some decent service out of a supposedly done Nolan, and maybe they can do the same with Bert...I just wouldn't have done it myself. I give it a 50/50 chance of paying off.
Finally, a voice of reason on this board. Great post.

Old
07-07-2008, 02:39 PM
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

Quote:
So you would agree then, that Edmonton fans bringing up recent playoff history should probably remain silent on the issue themselves?

Just sayin'.
well, we have had more success at winning series than you have....

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:42 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fuel View Post

Didn't watch the Ducks much last year did you? He's done. No surprise the Ducks bought him out either.

Peca, I still want! He played very well (when healthy) with the Blue Jackets. I also wanted Ryan Johnson, but the Canucks signed him for cheap. We'll be stuck again with Reasoner

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
well, we have had more success at winning series than you have....
You mean, over 10 years ago in a completely different era?

Old
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
CHL RANGERS

one thing that is worrying me now that bert has signed with the flames. Is our lack of toughness. We need someone to protect hemmer and this kids.

And the playoff thing is irrelevent at this point..besides flames cup and oilers cup runs...both teams havent won much in the playoffs in the last little while

CHL RANGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:

That's the point.
Aside from their run in 2004, the last time the Flames won a playoff round was 1989. What's your point?

Post-lockout, the Oilers have made the playoffs once and won three playoff rounds. Calgary blew another 3-2 series lead (second time in a row, going back to the 04 SCF when they became only the second team to do that in the Final) two years ago, got dominated by the Wings last year, and lost to the Sharks this year.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:

Just sayin'.
But you were the one who did it.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
But you were the one who did it.
Actually, I was originally referring to even making the playoffs, to which the Oilers, last season, and the season before that, did not.

Old
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Actually, I was originally referring to even making the playoffs, to which the Oilers, last season, and the season before that, did not.
I saw a guy who said the Oilers tend to do better in the playoffs than the Flames. Which is kind of true.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote