HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Bertuzzi signs with the Flames

Old
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Aside from their run in 2004, the last time the Flames won a playoff round was 1989. What's your point?

Post-lockout, the Oilers have made the playoffs once and won three playoff rounds. Calgary blew another 3-2 series lead (second time in a row, going back to the 04 SCF when they became only the second team to do that in the Final) two years ago, got dominated by the Wings last year, and lost to the Sharks this year.
Whatever floats your boat, spin it however you like.

Since 2004, Calgary has made the playoffs four (out of four) seasons and went to the Stanley Cup Final once. Edmonton, by comparison, has made the playoffs once (out of four) seasons and went to the Stanley Cup Final once.

Maybe it's just me, but one of them is not quite like the other.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
I saw a guy who said the Oilers tend to do better in the playoffs than the Flames. Which is kind of true.
Aside from Calgary's 2004 and Edmonton's 2006, when was the last time that happened?

Old
07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
So you would agree then, that Edmonton fans bringing up recent playoff history should probably remain silent on the issue themselves?

Just sayin'.
I would agree that both fanbases should shut the hell up about it, it's like watching a couple of emo kids have a sissy slap fight.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:

Since 2004, Calgary has made the playoffs four (out of four) seasons and went to the Stanley Cup Final once. Edmonton, by comparison, has made the playoffs once (out of four) seasons and went to the Stanley Cup Final once.

ya right man. your team is going nowhere anytime soon. 1st round maybe 2nd till your elite players contracts are up.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:57 PM
twisted by dezign

Quote:

If it means getting better draft picks and rebuilding to make a more viable team in the near future that can compete for the Cup, I'd rather have that than stagnating and flopping in the first playoff round year after year and even getting worse as the years go by.

twisted by dezign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Actually, I was originally referring to even making the playoffs, to which the Oilers, last season, and the season before that, did not.
Are you here to start trouble?. your so cool.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Aside from Calgary's 2004 and Edmonton's 2006, when was the last time that happened?
It happened in 1998. Yes, that is ten years ago (almost ten years later than the Flames' last victory); you don't need to remind me. What he said was that the Oilers tend to do better than the Flames in the playoffs. That is still true whether YOU are talking about recent history or not (which doesn't help you, because apart from their respective runs, in the last four years neither the Oilers nor Flames have won a single series). We at least won a bunch of series in the 90s and have five cups. I don't care that it happened 20 years ago.

However, his main point was that the Flames aren't a contender, and looking at their roster I think he has a very valid point.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:01 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

I'm the type of guy who is over hating Bertuzzi, I think he did his time, and that is that. The guy is certainly on the downswing of his career however, but can be a capable 2nd RW behind Iginla.

Will be a more effective point producer then Nolan I think, but the intangibles is worrisome.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbourmouth View Post
Newsflash, people turn down 90 million dollars and would rather play in Siberia than sign with the Oilers.
I always find this amusing coming from Calgary Flames fans.

If Edmonton is in deep dark Siberia way, way up in the middle of nowhere. Then what does that make Calgary which is not far away from Edmonton?

That just seems like the kettle calling the pot black to me.

Quote:
Actually, I was originally referring to even making the playoffs, to which the Oilers, last season, and the season before that, did not.
This is true a rebuilding team missed the playoffs.

But it is amazing with your stacked team being in 100% win now mode came so close to missing the playoffs the last two years. I would say your team this year is at least a little bit worse than it has been going into the last 2 seasons.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:09 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverValley View Post
I'm the type of guy who is over hating Bertuzzi, I think he did his time, and that is that. The guy is certainly on the downswing of his career however, but can be a capable 2nd RW behind Iginla.

Will be a more effective point producer then Nolan I think, but the intangibles is worrisome.
What if you hated Bertuzzi before the incident?. I have hated him ever since Salo slapped him with his glove and he fell to the ice like he was hit by Mike Tyson. He is a poor excuse of a hockey player even before the incident.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
surshot*

If the season was 10 games longer the Oilers would have surpassed the Flames. And thats with playing rookies. Calgary has nothing to be proud about.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:16 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
If the season was 10 games longer the Oilers would have surpassed the Flames. And thats with playing rookies. Calgary has nothing to be proud about.
If the season was 10 games shorter it the gap would have been bigger?

No point in playing that game.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:16 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

The Flames are actually now a couple mill over the cap, I wonder who is on their way out? No big names but some one has to go.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
The Flames are actually now a couple mill over the cap, I wonder who is on their way out? No big names but some one has to go.
They buy out Cammalleri?

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
What if you hated Bertuzzi before the incident?. I have hated him ever since Salo slapped him with his glove and he fell to the ice like he was hit by Mike Tyson. He is a poor excuse of a hockey player even before the incident.
Agreed, he is a huge POS, but every team has piece of crap players. That Moore thing took it to a new level. He is half (not even) the player he was then.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Are you here to start trouble?. your so cool.
No, just stating the facts.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted by dezign View Post
If it means getting better draft picks and rebuilding to make a more viable team in the near future that can compete for the Cup, I'd rather have that than stagnating and flopping in the first playoff round year after year and even getting worse as the years go by.
So when the Oilers make the playoffs, it's because they have a contending team, but when they don't, it's because they want good draft picks to build one, as if it was some sort of pre-fabricated plan?

You'd bomb your team's season in order to get high draft picks for a rebuilding process?

I'm glad Sutter doesn't have that mentality. He aims to be a contender every year. Rightfully so.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
None of Warrener, Nilson or Eriksson will be on the books next year. If Sutter can't find takers via trades or the waiver wire, they're all going to be in QC. That'll free up around $4M. Past that, I assume that he's going to wait until some team gets desperate for a defenseman, at which point he'll offer them Aucoin for a song. Spector said that the Senators may have interest in him, so that might not be far off.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
the word*

I can't belive Bertuzzi chose to sign in Canada. Was this the only offer? Is the guy a complete masochist? Is this his way of paying penance; the real first sign of remorse for a violent public assault that tarnished the sport for all time? If it is he is just showing his selfish nature once again, taking a franchise down with him in ignominy.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverValley View Post
If the season was 10 games shorter it the gap would have been bigger?

No point in playing that game.
It was directed to MR. ice cream guy. He comes in here and points out the obvious that the Oilers missed the playoffs the last two years. So i point out the obvious that the Oilers would have caught the Flames last year if the season was 10 games longer. Bottom line is the Flames suck and he is in the wrong board to be pointing out the obvious. I can not wait for the season to start its going to be EPIC BOA this year and i am confident this year the Oilers are going to destroy them.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
None of Warrener, Nilson or Eriksson will be on the books next year. If Sutter can't find takers via trades or the waiver wire, they're all going to be in QC. That'll free up around $4M. Past that, I assume that he's going to wait until some team gets desperate for a defenseman, at which point he'll offer them Aucoin for a song. Spector said that the Senators may have interest in him, so that might not be far off.
Yeah, the Flames, even if a few million over right now, aren't in the same boat as, say, the Hawks who really do need to dump salary really bad because of the money they have tied up in goaltending and Havlat.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
I'm glad Sutter doesn't have that mentality. He aims to be a contender every year. Rightfully so.
And how's that working out so far? Barely squeaking into the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round 3 years running, when you've got (as we have to hear from Flames fans all the time), Iginla, Regher, Phaneuf, and Kipper all on your team?

If the Oilers had the Flames' track record with 4 players of that caliber on our roster, I'd be burning effigies of Lowe outside the Oilers' office. That's approaching Tampa Bay levels of futility.

Now unless you have anything else worthwhile to share, kindly get the **** off of our forum.

The Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
surshot*

Quote:
So when the Oilers make the playoffs, it's because they have a contending team, but when they don't, it's because they want good draft picks to build one, as if it was some sort of pre-fabricated plan?

You'd bomb your team's season in order to get high draft picks for a rebuilding process?

You call a team that chokes on a yearly basis a contender.BTW The Oil have never been a team to bomb. The 07 year was not planned and it happened for many reasons none of them being a decision by Lowe to get a high draft pick. If your here to state facts then do so but all your really trying to do is be a troll go back to your cave troll.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
And how's that working out so far? Barely squeaking into the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round 3 years running, when you've got (as we have to hear from Flames fans all the time), Iginla, Regher, Phaneuf, and Kipper all on your team?

If the Oilers had the Flames' track record with 4 players of that caliber on our roster, I'd be burning effigies of Lowe outside the Oilers' office. That's approaching Tampa Bay levels of futility.

Now unless you have anything else worthwhile to share, kindly get the **** off of our forum.
I like making the playoffs, actually. I'm sure Sutter, the Flames, and the entire city of Calgary do too.

You tell me to get off the forum, and then you contribute this garbage, all opinion-based? Laughable.

Old
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
You call a team that chokes on a yearly basis a contender.BTW The Oil have never been a team to bomb. The 07 year was not planned and it happened for many reasons none of them being a decision by Lowe to get a high draft pick. If your here to state facts then do so but all your really trying to do is be a troll go back to your cave troll.
I never called Calgary a contender. I said Sutter aims to be one, and as a result, has made the playoffs for the last 4 years in a row.

Oh, and by the way:

http://www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/.../rvsntstr.html

... for your own good.