HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Retirement

Old
07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Retirement

Well, a few months shy of 40, I am thinking of giving it up. The kids are faster, younger, and after playing 7 seasons with my recreational team, I think it is time to call it quits.

Been a tough decision, and I think I might take up reffing....

Anyone go through the tough decision of deciding not to play anymore?

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:06 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

You sure there isn't a 40+ division? No one should take the skates off your feet except the mortician.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
VictoryRose

35 and over league? Pickup? why would you quit something you love just because the "kids are faster?" use your experience.

I play in a regular pickup game with ex-NHLers in their 50s and 60s, I'm 32 and can play. Believe me when I say, experience can make up in spades what you may lack in footspeed. Stay in good condition and smarten up your game.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Nbr-17

I'm 44 and nowhere near to calling it quits.
My father-in-law played 'til he was 84, so what's your excuse

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
If you're not hurt, keep playing. Just because your getting older and everyone is getting faster doesn't mean you can't play. Even if you can't just keep playing, look at Chris Chelios, the guys 847 years old and still playing.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Slats432

I think it has as much to do with finding another team wouldn't be my team that I have been on.....I thought about an older team, but I don't think it would be the same.

The team I have been with is most of the same guys from season one.

(Geez I feel like Mats Sundin...)

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post

You sure there isn't a 40+ division? No one should take the skates off your feet except the mortician.

I agree, and I'm 50!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:27 PM
frito

Give it up at 40, no way. Heck, a guy I play with didn't start playing until he was 42. There's another guy in the league that didn't start until he was 52. There was a picture of 90+ year old on the cover of USA Hockey a couple years back for the annual Charles Schultz Snoopy tournament.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:41 PM
ShowmeHawks

Don't give up playing. You will regret it when you're 50, and you'll miss playing in a month.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Figure, even if you retire when you are 47 you'll have 30-50 years (maybe even longer, who knows?) to do other stuff...

If you still like playing you should defenitely not quit, play the game while you still can IMO!

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I'll never retire. I'm going to keep playing at least in pick up games until I'm physically unable to.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
ean

Guy who shows up to my pickup every single week is 70. Man up.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 06:44 PM
the_speedster

I think the age thing is all in your head.... at one time I remember thinking I'd retire from competitive hockey by 30... no way I'd be able to hang with the A and AA tourney cicuit by that ANCIENT old age right?.. well now I'm 32 and still playing.

The man who I call my "hockey father" started mentoring me when he was in his early fifities and I was 16... Believe me the kids my age were scared to death of the man's ability even though we had the "edge" in terms of conditioning. As a punk-a$$ 18yr old you'd think I'd died and gone to heaven when I'd get into his "over 35" pickups... it was like attending a college class for hockey... so much I know from hockey was from that.

The physical aspect gets more difficult as you get older , I know, but as some have said to you on here, there's one thing that definately gets better the older you get and that's knowledge. The physical part can be helped by doing more things off ice to help your conditioning. It can also be an impetus to get/keep yourself in a better state of health. Eating better, drinking water, riding bikes/treadmills.. whatever...

Chelios really opened my eyes when I hit thirty. I thought...how can I think of retiring when this dude is pushing his body and keeping up with kids young enough to be his?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Bluelineswinships

probably the worse desicion ever
dont quit unless u become parapalegic

Bluelineswinships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:56 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

Don't do it! I know that I won't quit until I have lost both legs or some other and hopefully by the time that happens there will be virtual reality hockey on the xbox 5000

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
santiclaws

You're not even 40 yet and you're thinking of quitting?

The boy ain't right.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
From a 22 year old hoping to play well past another 20 years.....

Here's hoping you find something never hang em' up bud!

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:14 AM
southerncross116

I retired because I couldn't afford the astronomical club fees , and the fact that the local ice rink decided that they could have like about 15 public skating sessions during the week, but that not one block of that time was available for drop in hockey.

Hell public skating can run damn near $20 down here as well - makes you reconsider roller blading as an option.

Anyway, over the top costs and not my over 40 (44 in Sept) age caused me to (temporarily I hope) retire.

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:26 PM
MikeD

At age 45 I sustained a major back injury at work. My team mates came to my hospital room and brought me one of those T-shirts...When hell freezes over...I will play there too! As we were talking, my Doctor came into the room, over hearing the conversation about them holding my slot till I was recovered. Mind you, at this point I was paralyzed from the waist down. Entering the room, he stated I would likely never play again. I fired him on the spot and told the wife to find me a REAL doctor. 1 year, 4 months and 16 days later I returned to the ice for a skate and shoot. Glad I went too because one of the two lone players to make an 11am weekday skate and shoot was Gil Perault. His wheels were low on tread but his shot was still amazing. It was my family, friends and desire to get back on the ice that motivated my work to make a complete recovery.

I will never retire from the game and it is my wish that I be buried in my full goalie rig. When my youngest was 6 or 7 he asked if he could have my gear when I died. The answer was NO, they will be burying me in it.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
Well, a few months shy of 40, I am thinking of giving it up. The kids are faster, younger, and after playing 7 seasons with my recreational team, I think it is time to call it quits.

Been a tough decision, and I think I might take up reffing....

Anyone go through the tough decision of deciding not to play anymore?
40 is young!

If you are in shape, no reason to hang them up, especially if you love playing.

It really is a hard decision. I couldn't imagine giving up hockey.

But 40 is certainly not old. You are young, don't quit just yet!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 06:11 AM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
At age 45 I sustained a major back injury at work. My team mates came to my hospital room and brought me one of those T-shirts...When hell freezes over...I will play there too! As we were talking, my Doctor came into the room, over hearing the conversation about them holding my slot till I was recovered. Mind you, at this point I was paralyzed from the waist down. Entering the room, he stated I would likely never play again. I fired him on the spot and told the wife to find me a REAL doctor. 1 year, 4 months and 16 days later I returned to the ice for a skate and shoot. Glad I went too because one of the two lone players to make an 11am weekday skate and shoot was Gil Perault. His wheels were low on tread but his shot was still amazing. It was my family, friends and desire to get back on the ice that motivated my work to make a complete recovery.

I will never retire from the game and it is my wish that I be buried in my full goalie rig. When my youngest was 6 or 7 he asked if he could have my gear when I died. The answer was NO, they will be burying me in it.
That's amazing man.

Did Gil teach you any tips?

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
I think it has as much to do with finding another team wouldn't be my team that I have been on.....I thought about an older team, but I don't think it would be the same.

The team I have been with is most of the same guys from season one.

No, it won't be the same. But it won't be the same sitting on your couch every night either. And unless all the guys on your team are going to join you on your couch in retirement, you're not going to be with them by retiring either.

If in your eyes (legs, knees, hips, groin, back, etc.) don't think that you can cut it on that team in that league anymore, well then either way you're not going to be playing with those guys anymore no matter what.

So you can either try your hardest to adapt and move on to another team that DOES fit your talent level (if not your same friendship level), or you can give up and quit like a quitting quitter who quits.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

well if that doesn't change the op's mind i don't know what will.
great story, i'm glad it worked out for you. i 've had my share of semi major injuries( both hips dislocated,shoulder seperations,etc,) and i never thought of quitting. i'm glad for you, MikeD, that you have the will of a HOCKEY PLAYER.
dont quit until you HAVE TO.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I'll never retire. I'm going to keep playing at least in pick up games until I'm physically unable to.
Exactly how I feel.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

40 is young for a REC league. just keep on truckin'

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote