HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Becoming a referee

Old
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

vCash: 500
Becoming a referee

I decided I could use a few extra bucks, and was thinking about becoming a ref at one of my local rinks (3 of them). Nothing crazy, just some mite/squirt/peewee rec league games. I was wondering if any of you had done this before, and could answer my questions. I know most of the rules, signs etc, I just need to learn about positioning and more obscure things.

1. How hard is it?
2. How long is a typical training program?
3. How much does 1 game typically pay?

Thanks!

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
PEI Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
I decided I could use a few extra bucks, and was thinking about becoming a ref at one of my local rinks (3 of them). Nothing crazy, just some mite/squirt/peewee rec league games. I was wondering if any of you had done this before, and could answer my questions. I know most of the rules, signs etc, I just need to learn about positioning and more obscure things.

1. How hard is it?
2. How long is a typical training program?
3. How much does 1 game typically pay?

Thanks!
I am not sure which area you are in, but personally, I referee in PEI, Canada.

1) It is not very difficult if you are interested and you know your stuff. If you try to breeze through without knowledge, you are screwed.
2) In Hockey Canada, you have to renew your certification every year with a one day course. It states it should be 8-9 hours, but we usually wrap it up in about 5-6.
3) It all depends on the level. Where I referee, you make more depending on the level. For Pee Wee house lines, we make about 11 bucks a game. I am 16, and the most I have ever made is 20 bucks a game for the Pee Wee AAA Atlantics. I would say the average/game is about 12-13 bucks.

If you have any questions about more detailed things, just ask.

PEI Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Wow, you guys get ripped.

The LEAST my brother earned was $30 for linsing. He's earned up to $80 for reffing a game.

07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
deanosaur

Wow 12-13 a game you do get ripped a new one.
My buddy at 16 was getting 50 a game, a peewee game.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
PEI Hockey

I just picked up my money from reffing in Andrew's Hockey Schools, and I got 287 for doing 20 games.

Old
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Live in SoCal. 3 Local Rinks here.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm1Crosby0 View Post
Wow, you guys get ripped.

The LEAST my brother earned was $30 for linsing. He's earned up to $80 for reffing a game.
Then he wasn't reffing and lining peewee house hockey and under. Those kind of rates are found at at least Midget AAA.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:04 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Live in SoCal. 3 Local Rinks here.
You need to register with USA Hockey and then find out who the local head of officials to see about required meeting attendence etc. In Cincinnati we have to earn a certain number of points in order to ref a game. Points are given by attending ref clinics to enhance skills, attending monthly association meetings etc. We get so many points for excused absense such as hockey practice, school/work event etc. We get more points for actually attending. It's pretty well run.

Click on USA Hockey Officials. It will provide you with the information necessary to to get started.

Oh, and we do get paid better than PEI, but not as well as some of the other folks. A peewee game will go for low/mid $20's. Fees are based on age classification and level (i.e. house, travel etc.)

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Gino 14

Pretty much as Frito stated with levels of training ranging from almost none other than the USAH session on up. The local group I ref in offers almost no support, others have on and off ice skills training and monthly meetings. If you decide to pursue reffing, check out any and all opportunities for advancing your skills base. Probably the toughest part of reffing isn't the reffing, it's the grief you'll eventually get during games. It's not for everyone and a lot of refs just don't feel they get paid enough to have to tolerate that type of abuse. It's sad that it's come to that. As for pay, games around here are pretty much at the level Frito stated, $25 or so for a PW game, tournaments generally pay a little better. Good luck if this is the route you decide to travel.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
PEI Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Probably the toughest part of reffing isn't the reffing, it's the grief you'll eventually get during games.
Gino 14, that is one of the best descriptions of reffing I have read in a while. Block out the grief and you will be fine.

Old
07-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
The hardest part really is blocking out the grief and the trash talking. I reffed for the first time this summer, and I have had problems doing that. I've been called all sorts of names, and believe me - I've put the misconduct penalty to good use.

It takes time. I'm confident that I'll be able to block out the grief and keep on keepin' on.

By the way - I'm getting paid $15 / game to ref floor and roller hockey in Western New York.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote