HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demitra to Canucks... OFFICIAL as per Canucks.com

Old
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Bernier
Raymond-Sundin*-Demitra
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Grabner-Johnson-Hordichuk
Why do you keep putting Grabner on the 4th line? It's not going to happen. He's not physical enough to play the type of role AV likes guys to play in the bottom 6, and there likely won't be room for him in the top 6. This should be really obvious.

I suppose Grabner could dominate in training camp but that's a long shot and still, it's silly to be pencilling him in the lineup in July, especially in the bottom 6.

And I hate to break it to you but unless some serious changes occur which move a couple forwards out Hansen will not be a regular. As it stands right now, Wellwood, Pettinger and Pyatt are all ahead of Hansen on the depth chart. Hell, I could see Rypien having a better shot at a bottom 6 depth role simply because AV loves him.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Why do you keep putting Grabner on the 4th line? It's not going to happen. He's not physical enough to play the type of role AV likes guys to play in the bottom 6, and there likely won't be room for him in the top 6. This should be really obvious.

I suppose Grabner could dominate in training camp but that's a long shot and still, it's silly to be pencilling him in the lineup in July, especially in the bottom 6.

And I hate to break it to you but unless some serious changes occur which move a couple forwards out Hansen will not be a regular. As it stands right now, Wellwood, Pettinger and Pyatt are all ahead of Hansen on the depth chart. Hell, I could see Rypien having a better shot at a bottom 6 depth role simply because AV loves him.
Plus Grabner is still a young, developing player. Limiting a developing player's icetime will stunt his development, it's just a bad idea.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Tact

You guys know how much better we just got in the shootout?

Demitra>>>>>>>>>>>Naslund

In the shootout.

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
You guys know how much better we just got in the shootout?

Demitra>>>>>>>>>>>Naslund

In the shootout.
How do you figure? Demitra scored ONE goal in the shootout last year.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post

Hansen has a far better chance of making the team than Wellwood or Rypien, IMO. He would have made it last season as well if he didn't get injured. He played very well getting thrown into the playoffs, and he's improved tremendously since that. He's now the AHL equivalent of a Selke-level ppg guy. He fits like a glove on that Burrows-Kesler line.

Sadly, simply because his development hasn't taken off yet like Raymond or Hansen, Grabner will probably get another year in the AHL regardless of whether or not he's able to keep up with Hansen and Raymond (unless either of them are terrible - which is unlikely). I'd like to see him show that he can be a big-time scorer in the AHL first, as he doesn't bring TOO many other intangibles.

But yeah.. Hansen.. he's a guy you want on the roster- otherwise, there's not much of a point to developing these guys. If he has a strong camp, he's earned it.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
But yeah.. Hansen.. he's a guy you want on the roster- otherwise, there's not much of a point to developing these guys. If he has a strong camp, he's earned it.
I can also see Hansen in the lineup... he's got the edge on Grabner in two ways - 1) he's more experienced... and 2) he can fit into the lineup in both a top 6 and bottom 6 role.... he did come to camp last year and did a great job and should have earned a spot if not for his injury (IMO he still would have been sent down, but would be an early call-up like Edler was). Hopefully Grabner follows in the same footsteps... where Raymond and Edler were last year, hopefully we see Hansen there this year, and then Grabner (and possibly Schneider?) next season.

the pipeline seems to be working well in recent years... the canucks have had at least one young player jump into the lineup and have an impact in each of the last few years (Bieksa, Kesler, Edler, Raymond)... hopefully that continues with Hansen this year, and then Grabner next... and if all goes well, Hodgson the next...

It'd be nice to have a wealth of youth coming up, but having one young player each year that actually has an impact in his first year with the team, isn't a bad development cycle.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
Hansen has a far better chance of making the team than Wellwood or Rypien, IMO. He would have made it last season as well if he didn't get injured. He played very well getting thrown into the playoffs, and he's improved tremendously since that. He's now the AHL equivalent of a Selke-level ppg guy. He fits like a glove on that Burrows-Kesler line.
I can't stand Wellwood but for some reason I feel like Gillis is high on him, so I'm not too sure if Hansen has a better shot. Rypien - you might be right, especially seeing as Gillis has made a few moves now to toughen up the team, though you still have to factor in the AV-loves-Rypien wild card.

Still though, if you take Grabner out of sticknrink's lineup, that leaves Pyatt, Pettinger, and Hansen (and don't forget Cowan - IMO it's not a slam dunk that he gets waived) fighting it out for 2 spots in the bottom six. Pyatt is guaranteed one of them, unless he is traded (why do so many people on HF feel he's going to be moved?) and IMO Pettinger > Hansen. Plus, Hansen is the only guy out of that group who has a 2-way deal.

I could see him being the callup guy with Rypien if injury hits the bottom 6 and Cowan is waived. But IMO as it stands right now he's got his work cut out for him to make the team.

Of course, I'm working with the current roster. Obviously, if Hansen could have a better shot at being a regular if a few guys are moved out.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Tact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
How do you figure? Demitra scored ONE goal in the shootout last year.
How do I figure? Because Naslund is pathetic in the shootout and Demitra actually has some nifty moves on the shootout.

You don't agree with me that Demitra would be an upgrade over Naslund in the shootout?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0MCoOj41V_s

^^Naslund actually scored in that shootout, wow.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J5gaqtzBv5U&feature=related

^^Look how pathetic Naslund was on that attempt

Those are just some examples. Anyone want to find out Demitra's shootout record in his career vs. Naslunds?

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
New comments from Demitra up on CDC front-page:

On playing centre:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demitra
“I don’t have a favourite position. I didn’t enjoy playing centre in Minnesota because I like to play all over the ice and to make passes and score goals. But with Minnesota, the centre had to stay high and make sure to be the first guy down low to play defence. I don’t mind where I’m going to play; I just have to play with the right guys. I like to have freedom on the ice.”
On Production:

Quote:
“I know what I can do and I can definitely do more than I did in Minnesota. We played so much defence and it was working, but my first year every time I played wing I scored many goals, but when I played centre I always had to stay back. I know what I can do and I know I can score much more and have more points.”
On Sundin:

Quote:
And he’s certainly intrigued by the notion of getting to play on a line with the big Swede. But Demitra insists his signing with the Canucks isn’t linked to Sundin landing here.

“Obviously that would be great for me and for the team if you could bring a guy like that to the team,” he added. “We’d have a better chance to win.”
For your reading pleasure:

http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=368183

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Ahahaha love it. "**** defense."

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

the biggest difference between Nazzy and Demitra is speed. Demitra can fly.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
How do I figure? Because Naslund is pathetic in the shootout and Demitra actually has some nifty moves on the shootout.

You don't agree with me that Demitra would be an upgrade over Naslund in the shootout?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0MCoOj41V_s

^^Naslund actually scored in that shootout, wow.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J5gaqtzBv5U&feature=related

^^Look how pathetic Naslund was on that attempt

Those are just some examples. Anyone want to find out Demitra's shootout record in his career vs. Naslunds?
Demitra: 10/23
Naslund: 5/19

But it's such a small sample it honestly doesn't mean much. I would much prefer to evaluate shootouts based on observations than on 20-shot statistics. And based on observation, well, Naslund is about as bad looking in the shootout as any player I have ever seen.

Old
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Plus Grabner is still a young, developing player. Limiting a developing player's icetime will stunt his development, it's just a bad idea.
I thought Brule is a very good example why top6 players should not be given 4th line minutes or it will ruined their development.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Vector

Did anyone mention the Demitra-Mellanby connection before? Seems like a minor thing but maybe we're already seeing his influence.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Did anyone mention the Demitra-Mellanby connection before? Seems like a minor thing but maybe we're already seeing his influence.
Demitra actually mentioned it himself in his post-signing interview. Said Mellanby was one of his favourite linemates. I think we're definitely seeing a lot of Mellanby influence here as he was a long-time teammates with Ryan Johnson (in Florida and St.Louis), played with Hordichuk briefly, and was on a line with Demitra. Additionally, by most accounts he was the main source of influence for the pass on Jokinen.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler Kills Kommies View Post
I thought Brule is a very good example why top6 players should not be given 4th line minutes or it will ruined their development.
Brule was brought straight from junior though.. Grabner has actually had a full season in Manitoba to practice up.. not that I don't disagree but its just a bad comparison imo.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
Demitra: 10/23
Naslund: 5/19

But it's such a small sample it honestly doesn't mean much. I would much prefer to evaluate shootouts based on observations than on 20-shot statistics. And based on observation, well, Naslund is about as bad looking in the shootout as any player I have ever seen.
10/23 is actually a pretty good shootout record. The league average is around 33% scoring rate. Demitra sits at 43% for his career.

Small sample but still good numbers nonetheless.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Does anyone know Sundin's career shootout record? I can't seem to find it.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Sundin is 9/23

Old
07-10-2008, 05:43 PM
KDizzle

How about Jason Allison?

I'm lukewarm to the Demitra signing only because it's been hyped for so long. Maybe not so much lukewarm, but just... relieved that it went down and nothing happened to screw it up.

If he produces like Naslund, that's great because he'll do so with no baggage. And most likely he'll do so with some emotion. But I do believe that having him play the wing will definitely increase production.

I'd like to see a Burrows Kesler Demitra line iced once, though... just to see what it can pull off on the rush.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:44 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Is Demitra expected to play with the twins? or will he be the second line center?

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:46 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE View Post
Is Demitra expected to play with the twins? or will he be the second line center?
Gillis has been on record saying that lines will be determined by Vigneault and the coaching staff during training camp. However, Demitra doesn't really seem like a good fit for the Twins and at this point it's most likely that Bernier will be the third member of that line.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

From TSN:

Quote:
"We are plowing a ton of money into player development. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do that if we have older players on long-term contracts.
I love that statement. It's the only way to go in the cap world.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:50 PM
gobi

I am really cheering for Hansen to make the team this season. But with so many players in the bottom six, I don't know if there is any room for him. But I hope he will be given a legit shot in training camp.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:51 PM
gobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
From TSN:

I love that statement. It's the only way to go in the cap world.
Maybe we can still make a power forward out of Marc Andre Bernier yet.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote