HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Demitra to Canucks... OFFICIAL as per Canucks.com

Old
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
Sundin is 9/23
39%, not bad.

How about Steve Bernier?

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
0/1.

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 07:18 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
How do you figure? Demitra scored ONE goal in the shootout last year.
I think you just answered your own question

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Shareefruck

From the few leaf shootouts I've seen, I've loved the way Sundin looks on the shootout. He just seems to ooze confidence and seems to be able to score on demand with his great shot.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
I can't stand Wellwood but for some reason I feel like Gillis is high on him, so I'm not too sure if Hansen has a better shot. Rypien - you might be right, especially seeing as Gillis has made a few moves now to toughen up the team, though you still have to factor in the AV-loves-Rypien wild card.

Still though, if you take Grabner out of sticknrink's lineup, that leaves Pyatt, Pettinger, and Hansen (and don't forget Cowan - IMO it's not a slam dunk that he gets waived) fighting it out for 2 spots in the bottom six. Pyatt is guaranteed one of them, unless he is traded (why do so many people on HF feel he's going to be moved?) and IMO Pettinger > Hansen. Plus, Hansen is the only guy out of that group who has a 2-way deal.

I could see him being the callup guy with Rypien if injury hits the bottom 6 and Cowan is waived. But IMO as it stands right now he's got his work cut out for him to make the team.

Of course, I'm working with the current roster. Obviously, if Hansen could have a better shot at being a regular if a few guys are moved out.
IMO, what Gillis is high on is the fact that he seems confident that Ryan Walter can turn his demeanor and work ethic around. If Wellwood stays the same player that he was in Toronto, there's no way Gillis or Vigneault is going to be stupid enough to give him a regular roster spot.

Old
07-10-2008, 10:11 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

i don't understand when teams say certain players conditioning is weak.....ie: Wellwood and Bernier...

it is your job as a NHL franchise to make sure everyone comes in perfect condition and stays that way throughout the year.....

fools

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster81 View Post
i don't understand when teams say certain players conditioning is weak.....ie: Wellwood and Bernier...

it is your job as a NHL franchise to make sure everyone comes in perfect condition and stays that way throughout the year.....

fools
In a perfect world, sure. But the organization can't babysit and force them to work every step of the way.

Old
07-10-2008, 10:23 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
In a perfect world, sure. But the organization can't babysit and force them to work every step of the way.
well then they are screwing themselves....

Old
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Well it seems more like that way now since Gillis has stated they have put a ton of money in player development. In one of his interviews he said after he got drafted there was no contact by the team for months and had to train with his own knowledge. Gillis wants to say from that ideology and start implementing a program where the organization nurtures the player into a complete roster player.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Preach

anyone have an audio link to Demitra's post signing interview ?

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:29 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach View Post
anyone have an audio link to Demitra's post signing interview ?
there is a conference call u can listen to on the Nucks site

it's a lot of.. "I I I I I I I I think"

Old
07-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Preach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster81 View Post
there is a conference call u can listen to on the Nucks site

it's a lot of.. "I I I I I I I I think"
ahh .. thanks.

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Sleeper

Superior production compared to Naslund with less of a cap hit. Can't argue with that.

Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Johnny Canuck

Quote:
Too further add to that, sure the organization can do that during the season. However off-season is entirely up to the player. A basketball example...

Big Country Reeves...haha remember that one season? came back a complete fat ass.

Johnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Actually, for the young players, they can....and they should. Did you read the story about Grabner? ....getting his own gym membership....and working out on his own.....after team practices.....

Compare that with the Detroit, who sent a personal trainer over to Sweden to get Kronwall from 165lbs to 190lbs.

What would it cost to get the "undersized" or "slightly doughy" young guys into shape? An offseason personal trainer for each? $4000 per offseason per player.... peanuts that don't count against the cap. It's a no brainer......

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Shareefruck

Well, yeah, sure, obviously I don't mean that the organization has no responsibility towards that sorta stuff, but ultimately it IS up to the player to decide how much dedication he puts into it.

The guy I was replying to said

"i don't understand when teams say certain players conditioning is weak.....ie: Wellwood and Bernier...

it is your job as a NHL franchise to make sure everyone comes in perfect condition and stays that way throughout the year....."

as though it would be management's fault if those guys do not break out of their funk. There's only so much they can do to help. If Gillis gives these guys every resource there is to help these guys improve and encourage them to do so in every way, and Wellwood still comes to camp out of shape, I'm certainly not going to hold it against anyone but Wellwood himself.

Old
07-11-2008, 01:57 AM
nuck4life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnonis View Post
Actually, for the young players, they can....and they should. Did you read the story about Grabner? ....getting his own gym membership....and working out on his own.....after team practices.....

Compare that with the Detroit, who sent a personal trainer over to Sweden to get Kronwall from 165lbs to 190lbs.

What would it cost to get the "undersized" or "slightly doughy" young guys into shape? An offseason personal trainer for each? $4000 per offseason per player.... peanuts that don't count against the cap. It's a no brainer......
wow, that actually happened?

btw, when MG came in, he said there was going to be a program for each specific player, so they could moniter every player's specific things they needed to work on, and their current status.

i've never put much thought into that until i saw that's what makes detroit's prospects stand out and excel compared to other prospects around the league.

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Nucks4cup

solid pick up

Nucks4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:39 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Yeah, I love the signing. Perfect money and term for what Demitra brings to the table. If Sundin comes I think he has the chance to have a monster season feeding the big Swede. Also, his shootout success is a lot more important than we may realize right now. Our lack of success in the shootout last year could have very well cost us a playoff spot. You just can't be giving up that extra point more than you're taking it, and Demitra is a step in the right direction towards curing our shootout woes as well.

I'd love to see a shootout lineup next year of

Sundin
Demitra
Whoever has the hot hand that game

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:07 AM
nuck4life*

is there a better shot than that?

i hate to admit it; but, demitra pwned luongo there

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:10 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Kolzig was terrible on that Sundin goal. Sundin just came in with speed and Kolzig basically handed him the top corner.

That Demitra move is freakin' beautiful too. Can't wait to see that.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:08 AM
sticknrink

OH MY GOD.

Watching that MIN-VAN shootout -- **** Naslund. **** him right in his useless ass. He was such a giant suckhole in shootouts. *** was his problem?

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 07:04 AM
SharksDownUnder

Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
triple - play

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Yeah, I love the signing. Perfect money and term for what Demitra brings to the table. If Sundin comes I think he has the chance to have a monster season feeding the big Swede. Also, his shootout success is a lot more important than we may realize right now. Our lack of success in the shootout last year could have very well cost us a playoff spot. You just can't be giving up that extra point more than you're taking it, and Demitra is a step in the right direction towards curing our shootout woes as well.

I'd love to see a shootout lineup next year of

Sundin
Demitra
Whoever has the hot hand that game
Sundin
Demitra
Mr. Leg Kick

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Michael Scott*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder View Post
Sundin
Demitra
Mr. Leg Kick
Sundin
Demitra
Wellwood

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck4life View Post
wow, that actually happened?

btw, when MG came in, he said there was going to be a program for each specific player, so they could moniter every player's specific things they needed to work on, and their current status.

i've never put much thought into that until i saw that's what makes detroit's prospects stand out and excel compared to other prospects around the league.
from TG's article in "the Province"

Quote:
And if the big centre decides to take the Canucks offer in either the one-year or two-year form, this team would not only have become pretty competitive short term, but it will have bought two years extra time to improve both its drafting and player development, which needed improvement even by former GM Dave Nonis's analysis.

Player development head Dave Gagner has Cody Hodgson and Yann Sauve living with him and he's planning a five-day visit with last year's first-round pick Patrick White to see if the American centre can be kickstarted into action.
This is exactly what we should be doing. Not only does it have tangible benefits, but it helps build a bond between player and the organization.

Mike Gillis has brought in some very high quality front office people (and players) so far - this is starting to look pretty good IMO.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote