HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Stortini Take A Regular Shift For The Oilers This Year???

Old
07-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Nab77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
When you really look at it the NW only has one true heavyweight, Derrick Boogaard.

Vancouver-Cowan...um, no.
Edmonton-Stortini...no again.
Colorado-Laperierre...big time middleweight.
Calgary-Prust...middle again.

So you've basically got the Boogeyman and that's all.

Maybe we don't need a tough guy? Even look at rest of the conference. McGratton (Pho), Fedoruk (PHO), D.J. King (STL), Parros (ANA), Ivanans (LA), Shelley (SJ) and who else? There are lots of middle guys like Boll, Stortini, Ott, Barch, Janssens, Cowan, Laperriere and so on but not much in terms of true goons.
Vancouver signed Hordichuk and Colorado re-signed Parker.

Nab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Aequitas

I think unless someone like Reddox (sp) makes beats him he will have that spot because putting a schremp/brule in that spot just makes them take a step back (see brule: columbus).

He plays his role well and although he isnt a fighter he is ok at forechecking and and pretty sound defensively. He isn't worth 1 mil imo though.

Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Lowetide

I think he makes the team based on a tremendous year on that 4line. That trio just didn't get scored on when they were out there, did ridiculous things.

Which, of course, is the big question. Can that line have sustain? Over the past 10 years the Oilers have rarely had a 4line that did that well (Dowd line) and they had more of a veteran feel to them.

My own guess is that Stortini starts the season as a regular and sputters a little, allowing someone else to have a shot at the job. If he can't get back on track, the Oilers would probably be forced to make a trade, since Stortini does bring a physical element not duplicated by anyone else on the roster.

Or they callup Sestito.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Heavy Fuel

You would have thought Stortini and his agent would have made notes on the way the Oilers handled Glencross. Fringe/4th line players are not priorities for the Oilers at this time. I always liked Stortini's heart and backed him through the huggy bear times, but if he thinks he is worth a million bucks a season he needs to be drug tested.

Take your 6 or 7 hundred thou and keep working your tail off, or go away.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
I hate when people bring up the 'Tikkanen comparisons'. Isn't it a little foolish. He was one of the best at what he did, at least that I ever saw.

So let's get this right, it isn't worth having an agitator unless he is a world class player that could play in the Olympics like Esa?

Visit an opposition's forum and see what they have to say about Stortini after a game.
What I said is that if a player can't play, he shouldn't be on the team, whether he is an "agitator" or not. Avery would be another example of an agitator who can play.

I have read some remarks about Stortini from opposing team's fans, namely Calgary and Vancouver. They think he's a joke.

I happen to agree with them, and so do the people who vote at hockeyfights.com. He has voted as the winner of 2 of his 23 fights last year.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Master Lok

Can someone post a link about this Stortini million dollar negotiation stuff? I haven't seen any report on it outside of hfboards - but I've been gone for the past week camping...

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
bryce0567

I hope we skid Stortini. Anyone know of a player by the name of Mitch Fritz? Yea heavy weight! Not a great skater and wont score you any goals haha. One thing he will bring to the table is a fight and will make Boogaard, Parker and hordichuk think twice about going after our top players. They laugh at Stortini but im guessing they wont at Fritz. Not only is he ugly but he is 6' 8" and 260lbs and tough

bryce0567 is offline   Reply With Quote