HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Length and Relating to Shots

Old
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Fatpride

vCash: 500
Stick Length and Relating to Shots

hey i just got a quick question about stick length and how it relates to slapshots. i tend to use sticks that go to about my shoulders, little lower and i got an ok slapshot with it, nothing amazing, nothing horrible. i find when i pull my bottom hand closer to my top one, i get more of a golf shot thing and dont like it. i tried getting a longer stick, one more close to my chin/nose area but i cant handle the ball at all with it, my shot also seemed to get worse with the larger stick. could it just be that im not used to using it? or could it be that i should be using senior sticks but im still using juniors for the most part that it feels weird? my wrist shot is horrid with the longer stick, as is my snap, but with my juniors they feel more natural but tend to go high

Fatpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Bluelineswinships

the most important thing is that you find a stick you like and spend time with it practicing
typically u take a slpashot with your bottom hand slid down not up andif it feels to short then youll either have to bend your knees more or get used to a longer stick its all preference

Bluelineswinships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Homerocks*

Like Blueline said, practicing is the most important thing for you to do, ideally with the same stick.

It is a technique problem that you're having, and frequently switching stick length will only prolong the problem. Usually when people switch to a longer stick, they tend to hit a bit too much ice behind the puck until they adjust to the length. Lower hand adjustments are also needed when switching stick length.

Find a comfortable stick length (you seemed to figure out that a stick over your chin is too long, as is for most people. I would keep it below the chin) and get lots of practice. In regard to lower hand positioning, you generally want to position the hand in a spot that will allow you to get most flex in the shaft while still having precise control over the blade. This tends to be around 2/3's down the shaft.

Homerocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatpride View Post
hey i just got a quick question about stick length and how it relates to slapshots. i tend to use sticks that go to about my shoulders, little lower and i got an ok slapshot with it, nothing amazing, nothing horrible. i find when i pull my bottom hand closer to my top one, i get more of a golf shot thing and dont like it. i tried getting a longer stick, one more close to my chin/nose area but i cant handle the ball at all with it, my shot also seemed to get worse with the larger stick. could it just be that im not used to using it? or could it be that i should be using senior sticks but im still using juniors for the most part that it feels weird? my wrist shot is horrid with the longer stick, as is my snap, but with my juniors they feel more natural but tend to go high
It's all good! Here, read this post that I did a while back...
Go here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=505775

Then go to my post..."Head coach"

Hope this helps
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote