HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Fischer: When can we expect him to graduate?

Old
07-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Next Best Thing*

vCash: 500

I see in the little RDS interview that he might of put on some weight, does anyone know his size coming into this camp?

And is it possible for him to steal a spot by next year maybe? I know we will get a better idea once the development camp gets under way but let's hear some predictions.

I believe he is still a pretty good rookie, gets way underrated around here.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Iwishihadacup

no need to rush him, he was listed as a project

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

October 22nd 2010, 1:31 PM, right after dinner with Bob.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I see in the little RDS interview that he might of put on some weight, does anyone know his size coming into this camp?

And is it possible for him to steal a spot by next year maybe? I know we will get a better idea once the development camp gets under way but let's hear some predictions.

I think he'll finish his 4 years NCAA and start a year in hamilton...depending on needs and injuries he may get a full year there. I think he'll be a top 6 guy at 23 and a top 4 guy at 24-25. No need to rush him with Weber, Carle, Valentenko, O'byrne currently pro plus Subban and possibly Yemelin next year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Lone Rogue

At age 25, he'll come to the Bulldogs for a season then play for the Habs next year at 26.

In other words, 6 seasons from now.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
At age 25, he'll come to the Bulldogs for a season then play for the Habs next year at 26.

He already has 2 years in NCAA, at 22 he should turn pro.

Old
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

Dunno about that. He made a huge leap from his first rookie camp to his second. Haven't seen him this year, but if he's put on weight he must have made another leap. The skating is there and the hands are good enough for the second pairing as they are now.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

3 years after we lose his rights he signs a pro contract?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Never

Seriously I think he'll play two more years in the NCAA and then 2 years with the Bulldogs.
So 4 seasons from now, when he'll be 24.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Dunno about that. He made a huge leap from his first rookie camp to his second. Haven't seen him this year, but if he's put on weight he must have made another leap. The skating is there and the hands are good enough for the second pairing as they are now.
That's what actually concerns me. I mean, his biggest hitch was his weight and Timmins looked like he gave him some proper Gym classes this offseason or made Livingston do it instead, he looks more bulk.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think he'll finish his 4 years NCAA and start a year in hamilton...depending on needs and injuries he may get a full year there. I think he'll be a top 6 guy at 23 and a top 4 guy at 24-25. No need to rush him with Weber, Carle, Valentenko, O'byrne currently pro plus Subban and possibly Yemelin next year.
That sounds about right. The only question is what happens once he hits the AHL.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Doc Hock

When he passes all his courses!!!

doc hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Fischer is often described as a project, but I seem to remember him being labeled as a sleeper pick going into the draft. There is a difference, I think.

A project is a player who needs a lot of time to develop his talent and learn to apply his skills consistently. A sleeper is like a project because he has that unteachable talent and skill, but he could put it all together overnight -- you just never know which night.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what to think of Fischer other than to be patient. But he strikes me as the kind of player who has most of the important tools already, and who could simply wake up one day and walk right into the NHL.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 06:52 AM
wedge

I also think he'll play all 4 seasons in the NCAA before going pro. He'll play at least one full season in Hamilton and in the second one, will play between Montreal and Hamilton.

We all say Hamilton, but maybe the farm team won't be there anymore ahahah

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 06:59 AM
eddy

I think he could really benefit from playing a full 4 years in the NCAA. He's still gotta fill out and work on some things it seems and there is absolutely no need to rush him. So another 2 years in college and probably another 2 in Hamilton after that and I think he will be ready.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Fischer is often described as a project, but I seem to remember him being labeled as a sleeper pick going into the draft. There is a difference, I think.

A project is a player who needs a lot of time to develop his talent and learn to apply his skills consistently. A sleeper is like a project because he has that unteachable talent and skill, but he could put it all together overnight -- you just never know which night.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what to think of Fischer other than to be patient. But he strikes me as the kind of player who has most of the important tools already, and who could simply wake up one day and walk right into the NHL.
Fischer already has all the physical skills and he reads the play very well. The filling out will happen in time...I think the other thing he needs is more PP time, he got some last year but if he is put as the PP QB, that should bring out his offensive game. In his first 2 years at Minny he was used like Hamrlik was here last year.

Old
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

That makes no sense. 1 or 2 years from now he will play his first game as a Hab.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Fischer is 20 years old, so if he stays at Minnesota all 4 years, then he will leave the NCAA at age 22. So he should start in Hamilton at age 22, so if he spends 2 years there he'd be 24 when he hit the nhl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post

I would say imo that would be extremely unlikely. He would need some kind of year to even think about that.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He'll finish the NCAA and spend one and a half to two seasons in the AHL.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

2 questions:

Is it possible that with the new UFA age, there will be less "projects" chosen at least not in the 1st round?

Is is also possible that Timmins might rethink his strategy of going down south too much if guys like McDo, MaxPac and Fischer takes a longer time to develop than anticipated. I do remember Timmins saying that it would take only 1 NCAA year to McDo before being ready....'Cause 27 years old.....that's pretty low....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 07-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:32 AM
mcphee

I've never seen the kid play a game so I won't try and fool anyone, as if I could. The Team 990 was playing audio clips collected yesterday and fwiw, I was impressed by his demeanour.

He said that he was well aware that to progress he had to become quicker, not so much skating wise, but recognition, reaction, and basically he had to learn to play the game at a higher level.

He said that he was committed and with 'hard work and good coaching' he was confident. He said that the team has a hands off approach at the level he's at right now. He's left in the NCAA to develop. He scared me for a second as he said that he could see 210-215 as playing weight, I originally understood those as target years to make it, 2010-2015.

There seemed to be no phoniness or stock answers, just a frank admission of where he needed to improve.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
2 questions:

Is it possible that with the new UFA age, there will be less "projects" chosen at least not in the 1st round?

Is is also possible that Timmins might rethink his strategy of going down south too much if guys like McDo, MaxPac and Fischer takes a longer time to develop than anticipated. I do remember Timmins saying that it would take only 1 NCAA year to McDo before being ready....'Cause 27 years old.....that's pretty low....
I don't think he will need to change the way he drafts. I dont' know how much stock he puts into what league a player is in vs trying to find the player that fits the mold of what they are trying to build. I understand that you can keep the rights to NCAA players longer and that you can find more hidden gems in the US then the CHL due to the rule change in '04 where kids can get drafted before going to the NCAA but I don't know if that's a main reason behind the recent picks. I mean I could see it being a part of the decision but I still got to think they will take the player they like best no matter what league he's in. Of course I am just guessing here.

As for the NCAA guys, you are looking at an extra 2 years unless they go the USHL route and then the NCAA like Kristo and Conboy then if they stay all 4 years your looking at 3 years longer then a CHL prospect. Pacioretty could be a year away from seeing time in the NHL if he wants to turn pro, and maybe we will see McDonagh in the AHL in another year from now, so he would be 20, the same age as the CHL prospects.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
kernkraft

95% chance we don't see him in a Habs uniform before at least two years.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So to answer the question:

Worst case scenario: 5 years (2 College, 2 Dogs, and then Habs)

Best case scenario: 3 years ( 1 College, 1 Dog)

Prediction: 4 years......(1 College, 2 Dogs)

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Not before 2 years.I expect maybe him making a push for the 2010-11 season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote