HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler news - July 8

Old
07-08-2008, 09:46 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oiler news - July 8

News will start to slow, there wasn't any yesterday.

NHL tells GMs Lowe, Burke to politely zip it

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...a-2028a37f18fd

NHL muzzles Lowe, Burke

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...97556-sun.html

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

This reply by Bettman reminds me of that episode of South Park with the cripple fight. The entire crowd watches Timmy and Jimmy beat eachother senseless, then they both pass out and a guy in the crowd says "Ok boys that's enough, break it up"

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
rigger

They need to bring in the new players for introduction to make some news, actually that's probably better timed in august.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Lowe said Burke was jealous of the fact he couldn't play in the NHL
Hadn't hear that one before...

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Ssseth

The Oilers issued a statement saying: "We will not be commenting any further on this situation. As far as we are concerned, this matter is now closed."

Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:26 AM
mrzael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This reply by Bettman reminds me of that episode of South Park with the cripple fight. The entire crowd watches Timmy and Jimmy beat eachother senseless, then they both pass out and a guy in the crowd says "Ok boys that's enough, break it up"
Great Analogy. I guess Bettman just waited until Lowe got his shot in. I hope this puts it to rest.

mrzael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzael View Post
Great Analogy. I guess Bettman just waited until Lowe got his shot in. I hope this puts it to rest.
Thanks, I was due,

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:30 AM
theoil

At least 10 months too late by the head office. The more I think about it the comments about Anaheim being a pathetic market were calculated to get exactly this result since nothing else seemed to bother them.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Considering the Oilers asked the NHL twice for them to do something about Burke's comments. The NHL did nothing and Burke was continually allowed to thrash Lowe and the Oilers organization. Even after Burke called the Oilers organization "dirty ********", the NHL still didnt' do anything.

Where was Bettman the last 10 months when Burke constantly lambasted Lowe and the Oilers organization?
Where was Bettman when Penner was called useless by Burke?

Burke made a lot of derogotory comments about Lowe and the Oilers and Bettman did nothing. The minute Burke is criticized and bashed, Bettman steps in. How ironic. Apparently Edmonton can be thrashed 24/7 and Bettman won't do a damn thin. It's the norm of Edmonon bashing in the NHL these days I guess since that is allowed but not the bashing of any of the other 29 teams.

07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Considering the Oilers asked the NHL twice for them to do something about Burke's comments. The NHL did nothing and Burke was continually allowed to thrash Lowe and the Oilers organization. Even after Burke called the Oilers organization "dirty ********", the NHL still didnt' do anything.

Where was Bettman the last 10 months when Burke constantly lambasted Lowe and the Oilers organization?
Where was Bettman when Penner was called useless by Burke?

Burke made a lot of derogotory comments about Lowe and the Oilers and Bettman did nothing. The minute Burke is criticized and bashed, Bettman steps in. How ironic. Apparently Edmonton can be thrashed 24/7 and Bettman won't do a damn thin. It's the norm of Edmonon bashing in the NHL these days I guess since that is allowed but not the bashing of any of the other 29 teams.
Its simple really. Bettman doens't want anyone trashing the US markets. Lowe's comment about South Cal being a pathetic market hits newspapers and obviously Bettman is going to step in. That's damaging in his pursuit of having hockey pass goat racing on the list of popular sports in the southern US.

The more and more I see Bettman do business, its pretty obvious to me that Canada is a second priority in his mind.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

This is my ideal ending to the situation...

Burke has too much of an ego to let Lowe get the last word, so he ignores Bettman's comments and replies to what Lowe said.

Lowe then takes the high road again and sais that Burke disobeying Bettman is undermining the league and the commissioner etc etc. Lowe then sais out of respect for Gary he will no longer comment on the situation.

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Oi'll say!

Here's what the Vancouver Province said about what Lowe and Burke were saying leading up to the intervention - this is verbatim but I don't have a link.

Quote:
Burke has blamed Lowe for throwing the NHL's salary structure out of whack, starting with the signing of Dustin Penner to a five-year, $21.25 million dollar offer sheet in 2007.

On an Edmonton all-sports radio station Friday, Lowe called Burke a "moron" and a "media junkie" who will do anything to draw attention to himself and his team.
How about "starting with the vanek offer sheet" for 1, but I love how innocent burke's comments have been. Class, class, class

Last edited by Oi'll say!: 07-08-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:52 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
At least 10 months too late by the head office. The more I think about it the comments about Anaheim being a pathetic market were calculated to get exactly this result since nothing else seemed to bother them.
Pretty much.

Picture it with me.

Burke spends the weekend bombastically bellowing his retorts into a mirror(someone in the know filled me in on this little habit, btw), preparing for the series of media spots he anticipates coming at him this week. Then... the NHL's "CEASE AND DESIST" hammer comes down before he can utter a single peep.

Awww... muffin.

Kevin Lowe determined, with Katz's blessings I'm sure, that he had to get down and dirty to force the NHL to step in and SHUT BRIAN BURKE UP.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our winner.

IceDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
schreibkrampf
HFBoards Sponsor

Oilers' Katz News

CIT agrees to lend Katz $100 mln to buy Oilers: report
http://uk.reuters.com/article/innova...13627120080708

schreibkrampf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon View Post
Pretty much.

Picture it with me.

Burke spends the weekend bombastically bellowing his retorts into a mirror(someone in the know filled me in on this little habit, btw), preparing for the series of media spots he anticipates coming at him this week. Then... the NHL's "CEASE AND DESIST" hammer comes down before he can utter a single peep.

Awww... muffin.

Kevin Lowe determined, with Katz's blessings I'm sure, that he had to get down and dirty to force the NHL to step in and SHUT BRIAN BURKE UP.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our winner.
This, in and of itself, pretty much substantiates MacT's comments about nothing behind the curtain of any substance. I mean, really, what kind of a clown does this sort of thing? Pathetic.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote