HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sergej Fedorov to sign with Capitals today

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2008, 04:44 PM
MonacoBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
What have they added that makes them any better than the team that was in the playoffs last season? According to most of the experts Huit was pursued more than JT so they at best stay even in goal or are a little worse.

They lose Huet, Kolzig, and Cooke.

They gain Jose Theodore.

Did I miss some signings?

Tampa has improved much more than the Caps in fact it looks like the Caps lost a little if you ask me. Now if you are talking who is the better team that would be close at this point because Tampa has improved their roster a lot. The Caps young core should just get better over the next several years. Both teams D's are not great and they both have great offensive players and average goalies. I think the East will look like this.

1. Pens(Better team than at the start of last season)
2. Habs(lost more than they gained)
3. Flyers(lost more than added but still a team on the rise)
4. Rangers(Jagr, Straka, Avery, and Shannahan were 4 of there top 6 forwards gone)
5. Devils(Rolston should help in the scoring department but the team is old)
6. Caps(Have lost more than they gained but young players still getting better)
7. Boston(stayed about the same, maybe a slight gain)
8. Tampa(I think takes the 8th spot with a great top 2 lines)
9. Sens(got worse and were on the down slide last season, how the mighty fall)

I think Tampa will give the Caps a fight for that top spot in the division and the winner will get the 3rd playoff seating but won't be deserving of that spot just like last year. Some #6 seed will knock them out just like what has happened the last several season's with the #6 beating the #3.
How can you say the Habs lost more than they gained and then claims the Pens are better than they were at the beginning of last year? They lost Malone, Hall, Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts and others. Sure they replaced them but the Habs also replaced their players. Tanguay is far better than Ryder and Streit as a fourth liner is marginally better than Laraque.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I don't see why Washington would need to sign Fedorov...isn't Nylander coming back? Maybe he's on his way out...you can't throw Nylander on the third line.

Old
07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
I don't see why Washington would need to sign Fedorov...isn't Nylander coming back? Maybe he's on his way out...you can't throw Nylander on the third line.
Fedorov would be returning as our third line center (at least as far as minutes are concerned), and as an important lockerroom guy. GMGM has hinted he wants 3 scoring lines, and Fedorov is probably the ideal guy to center a checking line that can score (somethign like Laich-Fedorov-Clark).

Old
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Aurumque View Post
But Fedorov would make a great third-line center at this point in his career, as well as a good veteran locker room influence.

Old
07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Andrew

I'd imagine he would play on the #1 power play, as well as on the penalty kill. Provides lots of flexibility if anyone goes down for an extended period of time also.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
regehr

Fedorov brings experience and leadership to a young Caps team. He'll center a very solid third line, take key faceoffs, and play big minutes on the special teams. Caps lineup likely looks like this:

Forward
A.Ovechkin / N.Backstrom / V.Kozlov
A.Semin / M.Nylander / E.Fehr
B.Laich / S.Fedorov / C.Clark
D.Brashear / D.Steckel / M.Bradley

Defense
S.Morrisonn / M.Green
T.Poti / K.Alzner
J.Schultz / M.Jurcina

Goal
J.Theodore / B.Johnson

Reserves
B.Gordon / T.Fleischmann / J.Erskine

Old
07-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

just get it done Caps.

Fedorov brings so much more to the table than his on ice attributes.
which are massive anyway.
PK stud
PP stud
Faceoff stud
always says the right things

a leader and a winner.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
just get it done Caps.

Fedorov brings so much more to the table than his on ice attributes.
which are massive anyway.
PK stud
PP stud
Faceoff stud
always says the right things

a leader and a winner.
Unless the coach requires him to work, then you can find him coasting, cashing his checks and badmouthing him after he leaves.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Unless the coach requires him to work, then you can find him coasting, cashing his checks and badmouthing him after he leaves.
He seems to have grown out of that. He was a very hard worker for us down the stretch.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Different coach...different systems.

You put a jaguar in a box...he's not going to run.

Old
07-08-2008, 07:51 PM
txpd

Quote:
I don't blame you for not knowing his impact with the Capitals after the trade, but the Capitals Fedorov was what you would have expected the 38 year old Red Wings Fedorov to be like.

Whether it was hating the trap and dump and chase or not being used in a way that made him feel needed or whatever, he was playing in Columbus like a guy that was ready to retire. He said as much when he arrived in Washington. He also said "coach says I will play more and in important situations and I look forward to that."

I'll be honest it seems like he was treated as a washed up player in Columbus. When he arrived in Washington he was treated like Sergei Fedorov, Hart Trophy-multi cup winning, first ballot hall of fame, Fedorov. The young players were wide eyed and awe struck including Ovechkin. The coach told him to play like the player that Ovechkin looks at like a hero. He did and it worked like magic.

As for the Caps not improving, thats a mistake.

1. The Caps played most of last season with Olie Kolzig's career flashing before his eyes. Who knows how Theodore will play, but I suspect he will have a better sv% than the .865 Kolzig was sporting around the trade deadline. I also saw that Theodore was much better in the first round of the playoffs than was Huet.

2. Nylander missed half the season and was seriously injured for half of what he did play. Chris Clark missed almost the entire season. Those two players returning make a serious impact.

3. The Caps add another top 5 pick, Alzner, to the lineup. That is usually a significant upgrade.

4. The Caps are largely a young team where many of the players stand to improve over last season.

There is a failure of your logic if you think the Capitals need to turn the roster over to improve. The Capitals project to have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Fehr as four of their top 6. Gordon, Laich, Steckel as 3 of their bottom 6. Green, Morrisonn, Schultz, Alzner(four recent first round picks) 4 of their top six defense. Then you add players acquired last season or sooner, Nylander, Fedorov, Kozlov, and Poti and I am honestly asking where you expect an impact spot in that lineup to be open at?

Old
07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Oh don't be jealous.

Old
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
How can you say the Habs lost more than they gained and then claims the Pens are better than they were at the beginning of last year? They lost Malone, Hall, Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts and others. Sure they replaced them but the Habs also replaced their players. Tanguay is far better than Ryder and Streit as a fourth liner is marginally better than Laraque.
*couch* Hossa *cough*

I think the only (playoff 08) team that got stronger in the East at least on paper is the Rangers.

Old
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:

If Streit is marginally better than Laraque especially when he stepped up to overtake Souray's spot on the PP and nothced 50+ points and signed for 3M more (not sure), I don't know what a vast improvement.

Old
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
If Streit is marginally better than Laraque especially when he stepped up to overtake Souray's spot on the PP and nothced 50+ points and signed for 3M more (not sure), I don't know what a vast improvement.
Oh wow he can shoot on perfect passes from Markov!!! It's not like his spot on the point can't be replaced by S. Kostitsyn, Tanguay, Kovalev or another forward. His points just weren't that impressive because his role in getting them was often secondary. By the end of the season, teams had keyed in on Streit and his shot was constantly blocked. That's why the PP plummeted in the playoffs. It's almost better to let him go than to keep that stagnant PP.

Streit is soft while Laraque brings much needed toughness to the lineup. He's a better fit.

Old
07-08-2008, 09:53 PM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
How can you say the Habs lost more than they gained and then claims the Pens are better than they were at the beginning of last year? They lost Malone, Hall, Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts and others.
not to mention colby armstrong and erik christensen

Old
07-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
What have they added that makes them any better than the team that was in the playoffs last season? According to most of the experts Huit was pursued more than JT so they at best stay even in goal or are a little worse.

They lose Huet, Kolzig, and Cooke.

They gain Jose Theodore.

Did I miss some signings?

Tampa has improved much more than the Caps in fact it looks like the Caps lost a little if you ask me. Now if you are talking who is the better team that would be close at this point because Tampa has improved their roster a lot. The Caps young core should just get better over the next several years. Both teams D's are not great and they both have great offensive players and average goalies. I think the East will look like this.

1. Pens(Better team than at the start of last season)
2. Habs(lost more than they gained)
3. Flyers(lost more than added but still a team on the rise)
4. Rangers(Jagr, Straka, Avery, and Shannahan were 4 of there top 6 forwards gone)
5. Devils(Rolston should help in the scoring department but the team is old)
6. Caps(Have lost more than they gained but young players still getting better)
7. Boston(stayed about the same, maybe a slight gain)
8. Tampa(I think takes the 8th spot with a great top 2 lines)
9. Sens(got worse and were on the down slide last season, how the mighty fall)

I think Tampa will give the Caps a fight for that top spot in the division and the winner will get the 3rd playoff seating but won't be deserving of that spot just like last year. Some #6 seed will knock them out just like what has happened the last several season's with the #6 beating the #3.
You Penguin fans keep telling yourselves that. Other than Crosby/Malkin, you guys have the most streaky top six in the league. Wheres the Physicality going to come from, other than Orpik and Talbot? Fact is your team really lacks consistant scorers, and physical leaders.

Old
07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Blatherblah

TSN reporting the Caps have signed Fedorov (1 year $4 million). Pretty high in my opinion.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242906&l...s=secStory_nhl

Closed Thread