HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008-2009 season ticket invoices....

Old
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
The Garden could care less about us, they know someone else with deeper pockets will foot the bill.
At what point does this become price gouging? Someone should contact the Attorney General & get an investigation started.
An investigation for what? They are allowed to charge as much money as they want. If I want to hold a garage sale and sell my used underwear for $1,200 a pair, I can do it.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
An investigation for what? They are allowed to charge as much money as they want. If I want to hold a garage sale and sell my used underwear for $1,200 a pair, I can do it.
Yeah, price gouging really only applies to "necessities", and I can make a few arguments that the government (or anyone else) has no right to intervene even in those cases given the basis of our economic system. Major professional sports, in fact, are clearly involved in price gouging anyway (how much was you last footlong and a knish?), but for some reason people are willing to pony up. I won't buy food in an arena unless I'm really, really desparate.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Incorrect. Madison Square Garden hasn't paid property taxes in 25 years. As a result they have an obligation to the residence of New York. This isn't a pure free market in which they can charge as they wish. I would love action to be taken but the attitude has and apparently will be, 'if you don't want your seat, 10 other people do.' As long as New Yorkers are willing to get trampled on, they will be. I'd like to take a stand. Unfortunately, I think I'd be standing alone.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/a...wners_our.html

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

When do they usually mail out the form that tells you when you can speak to your rep(has a date and time)? I was very unhappy with my seats this season and definitely want to move somewhere else.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:45 PM
aslim240

supply and demand

This is going to be the downside of ticketexchange and the transparency of stubhub. They see what price tickets re-sell for. In their mind their is no reason that season ticket holders should profit and not the NY rangers. They are a business and that is not unreasonable.

You could also see this in the waiting list (as pointed out above), this is my 3rd season as a ticket holder ($40 -> $46 -> $52) and while I believe that they should be able to charge whatever they want for tickets, I do believe they should have more loyalty to long time holders. If you have held ticketes for a decade, you get half the increase that other people do, something like that. Because those people were good customers when they did not have a good product and could not sell their tickets for more.

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:48 PM
aslim240

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
When do they usually mail out the form that tells you when you can speak to your rep(has a date and time)? I was very unhappy with my seats this season and definitely want to move somewhere else.
meant to answer this as well, you can contact your rep at any time or use the generic ticket office email or phone from the website. They are excellent about answering

aslim240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
nyrmetros

this blows.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:56 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslim240 View Post
This is going to be the downside of ticketexchange and the transparency of stubhub. They see what price tickets re-sell for. In their mind their is no reason that season ticket holders should profit and not the NY rangers. They are a business and that is not unreasonable.

You could also see this in the waiting list (as pointed out above), this is my 3rd season as a ticket holder ($40 -> $46 -> $52) and while I believe that they should be able to charge whatever they want for tickets, I do believe they should have more loyalty to long time holders. If you have held ticketes for a decade, you get half the increase that other people do, something like that. Because those people were good customers when they did not have a good product and could not sell their tickets for more.
The problem is this is artificial supply and demand. The waiting list is not full of people who would pay anything to get tickets. The went on the list 3 years ago and frankly I doubt 4000 people are lining up at the chance to pay these prices. How many of them didn't get bonuses? How many lost their jobs? On top of that, just because you can sell 1000 seats at crazy prices on ticket exchange doesn't mean you can sell 18200 at the same levels. Playoff tickets were at face value day of games on ticket xchange. The Rangers have hit and likely exceeded their threshold. There is a limit on everything and in this economy with Wall St in the shape its in, I believe the Rangers have over played their hands... I hope people give up their tickets and never come back. Thats exactly what I intend to do.

Old
07-11-2008, 11:00 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
You should see the letter this week. I am pretty sure if you go to pay your invoice online one of the questions is if you want to upgrade/move your seats.

Quote:
If you have held ticketes for a decade, you get half the increase that other people do, something like that. Because those people were good customers when they did not have a good product and could not sell their tickets for more.
Nice thought, but there are 10 people waiting to buy your tickets.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:53 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Nice thought, but there are 10 people waiting to buy your tickets.
No there aren't. Stop buying into the Rangers BS propaganda. Its like 3 years ago when they "sold out all season tickets" and then 2 months later anyone who wanted seasons could get them. They convinced people to take the worst seats at every price point and then released the rest. This is a Dolan owned team. That means lying is fine and likely encouraged. There are not 4000 people who want my 200's for $100/seat nor are there 4000 people that want to be in the back of the 300's for $56/seat. Its smoke and mirrors...

Old
07-12-2008, 08:02 AM
patnyrnyg

I sit in the 400's, and to me $34 each is still a good value. I never have a problem unloading tickets and often can get a premium.

The Muts however are a different story. Last season I had a saturday plan. When I received the invoice this season, and saw their price increase, I put it through the shredder. They have called me 6 times since the due date, with 2 weeks ago being the most recent, to try and sell me a package. The difference with the Muts, is the only games that sell out well in advance are opening day, the Yankees games, and this year the last game. If I decide on August 5th I want to go to the game, I get in my car and buy a ticket at the stadium. Don't have that luxury with the Rangers.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:40 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
No there aren't. Stop buying into the Rangers BS propaganda. Its like 3 years ago when they "sold out all season tickets" and then 2 months later anyone who wanted seasons could get them. They convinced people to take the worst seats at every price point and then released the rest. This is a Dolan owned team. That means lying is fine and likely encouraged. There are not 4000 people who want my 200's for $100/seat nor are there 4000 people that want to be in the back of the 300's for $56/seat. Its smoke and mirrors...
My view is, and I know that this really rubs some people the wrong way, the Rangers or the Dolans don't care about the individual. I don't think any team does. Or any owner for that matter.

They are there to make money, and if that involves doing something "nice", they are doing it because it's a good business decision, not because they think they owe it to you.

I have no problem with the price increase. If I had a problem with it I wouldn't buy the tickets any more. The thing I don't get is how people have a problem with the ticket increases but still keep them.

Old
07-13-2008, 12:05 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:

If anything, StubHub and the Ticket Exchange have lowered prices for most tickets. I've bought and sold tickets for over 20 years and the secondary market is a lot more ordered than it was years ago. Tough events will always be tough to get and highly priced but those Tuesday night games against Phoenix and Washington are cheaper and more available than ever.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If anything, StubHub and the Ticket Exchange have lowered prices for most tickets. I've bought and sold tickets for over 20 years and the secondary market is a lot more ordered than it was years ago. Tough events will always be tough to get and highly priced but those Tuesday night games against Phoenix and Washington are cheaper and more available than ever.
i bet the washington tickets are going to go up.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:40 AM
bubba5

I've been a fan for over 30 years, ticket prices are crazy. Dolan (or any other owner with a big fan base)does not care about the loyal fans. They know there is someone always standing in line waiting to buy, and in NYC, all the corporations dont care, its a tax write off for them, so they buy without looking at the price. I'm satisfied at this point in my life to watch them on my 50" HDTV, get my cheap beer and hope for the best from my NYR's. If I can take in a few games a year and a few playoff games (like going to the Rock and making it a home away from home for the Rangers) that's fine with me. I still think I am as big a fan as anyone, even though I dont want to give Dolan my $.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Money is tight all over but I think it's a mistake to give up your season tix.

Economy will turn around and next spring when the playoffs are heating up you could be kicking yourself.

Just sell what you can't afford, but keep the subscription. It has value.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
jhnyr

Quote:
I totally agree with you... however, I sit in the back of the 300s, and they're the best seats I've ever had at the Garden. The wall curves behind us, and we have a ****-ton of room to either put our stuff behind us, or sit up on the folded seat. We really lucked out with our spot.

And while I HAAAAAAAATE the increase... I'll still pay because I love the seats, and I love the team.

BUT... the increase will force me to sell tickets on TicketExchange rather than at face value to strangers here or elsewhere. Sorry, but that's just my hand being forced.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:17 PM
darrenturcotte#8

You guys do realize that if 18,200 people decide that now they have to sell their tickets on ticket xchange for a profit, none of them will sell, right? The only reason tickets went for as much as they did is that there wasn't much in the way of supply. With these increases there will be a much higher supply and a much lower demand. If you can't afford your tickets and plan to sell them at a profit to offset the cost, you very well might be in trouble this season...

Old
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

Just got my invoice today. I sit in the section 339 seats 1 & 2, 2 years ago when i got my tickets they were $45 a seat. Last year they went up to $48 a seat. Now they are $52. Hopefully they don't keep going up at this pace. Or I might be down grading to 400s .

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rob View Post
Or I might be down grading to 400s .
Some of us would consider that an upgrade.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You guys do realize that if 18,200 people decide that now they have to sell their tickets on ticket xchange for a profit, none of them will sell, right? The only reason tickets went for as much as they did is that there wasn't much in the way of supply. With these increases there will be a much higher supply and a much lower demand. If you can't afford your tickets and plan to sell them at a profit to offset the cost, you very well might be in trouble this season...
I understand you're not happy about this but you're reaching here. First of all, I don't HAVE to sell them at profit. If I get face plus a couple bucks for any tix I don't use then I'm only paying for games I choose to go to and I still have control over the subscription.

Even if I'm sloppy and I wait til last minute and get less than face for a couple games, I'm still going to be ahead because I WILL sell some select games for a profit on TE.

At the end of the day, this is a luxury to begin with. Which is why there are always "suits" at so many games. The average everyday, loyal, lunchbox fan needs to have season tickets? If it wasn't my company buying them, I would never do it. I have customers who like the perk, and ultimately it helps me win bu$iness, which is much more valuable than any profit I'm going to make on TE or anywhere else. So, I get to go to games, take my kids and friends to games and get first shot at playoffs. Well worth it. This is probably the mentality of a large portion of season ticket holders.

It could be worse: You could be an Islander fan who got "Snowed" into one of those 2-year deals right before they axed Nolan!!

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:21 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rob View Post
Or I might be up grading to 400s .
Thats what i want to see

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Im getting a partial from a guy i know, the seats are in the 400's but i dont know the $$$ situation

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
broadwayblue

I gotta be honest. This latest round of increases is appalling. It's really becoming quite a joke. It's one thing to have an increase every year (although I don't see where that is a rule) but these 14% yearly bumps are just out of line with reality. My 100 level seats have gone from 50 something bucks only 7 years ago to $89 this year. Not to mention my biggest pet peave of having to pay FULL price for meaningless pre-season games. By that logic the playoffs should cost the same price as regular season games, no? I really wonder what % of subscribers will renew this time around.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 08:08 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I gotta be honest. This latest round of increases is appalling. It's really becoming quite a joke. It's one thing to have an increase every year (although I don't see where that is a rule) but these 14% yearly bumps are just out of line with reality.
It's one thing to look at the percentage increases, but you have to compare the Rangers ticket prices to the rest of the NHL, as well as other major sports leagues.

The Rangers tickets are a better value than more than half of the teams in the NHL, better value than Knicks tickets, and a better value than Yankee tickets.

You have to take into account that this is NYC, the team sells out every night, the team has been pretty good the last few years, and there is a season ticket waiting list.