HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Calgary Lames Off-Season

Old
07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Superintendent

vCash: 500
Apparently they tried hard for Stuart but the legal situation with his daughter from a former marriage necessitates him playing in the US.

http://www.hhof.com/html/exSCJ08_13.shtml

The Red Wings appreciated Brad's contributions to such an extent that on July 1, they re-signed him to a sizeable four-year contract. In doing so, he turned down a huge offer from the Calgary Flames so that his stepdaughter could stay in the U.S.

Superintendent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:02 PM
27theROCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Don't give too much credit to these two. There were looooong stretches where they dissapeared. I think Oiler fans are, ironically, starting to overrate these two player's contributions.

Towards the end of the season, you could have put a marshmallow on the ice and it would have been more useful than Huselius. Atleast it would have provided a physical presence in some capacity.
+1

I would rather play Tangay and Husesuck than Cammy and Bert. No doubt!

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
OilFanInCowtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27theROCK View Post
+1

Not I.

When we played LA, it wasn't Cammy who gave us problems.
He would fall in line behind Kopitar, Frolov and Brown at minimum (though O'Sullivan was good against us, too).

In Anaheim, I don't even remember noticing Bertuzzi.

Tanguay is a really good player. A solid NHLer who is a great playmaker and comes out ahead at ES.

Cammy = Huselius for me, and Bertuzzi won't likely outperform Nolan (who had a good game in our final meeting).

OilFanInCowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Cammy is a better player than Tangay and is just starting to come into the elite player mold.
You keep saying this, but I'm not sure what you're basing it on.

To me, the jury's still out on how much of an offensive force he is...yes he had that one great 80 point season, but it's sandwiched between two mediocre seasons in the 50 point range. Is he an 80 point star forward in the making who's had some problems with consistency, or is he an undersized average 50 point top 6 forward who played over his head in 06/07?

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
+1

Wait, you agree with me, and then say you'd rather play the first two?

You're not making any sense.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
The Big Jankowski

It's alway's best to wait until at least Christmas before commenting on player movement over the summer. Just too difficult to gauge on-ice chemistry, injury woes and such in early July! Should be a fun Battle of Alberta this year though, with the contrasting styles.

The Big Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFanInCowtown View Post
Cammy = Huselius for me, and Bertuzzi won't likely outperform Nolan (who had a good game in our final meeting).
Really? I think given the change in atmosphere and the commitment Bertuzzi has made to his training in the off-season (he lost 25 pounds), he could easily outperform Nolan.

Minnesota is going to like Nolan (we miss him here in Calgary), but he's going to be slotted behind a deeper lineup with a more defensive system.

I guess it depends on what your definition of 'contribution' is.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Camalleri does not equal Tanguay. Tanguay was a better player in every way.
may be but Tanguay didnt perform to his top level last year...So Camalleri can easily replace that

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Raoul Duke*

Locking up Langkow was their best move, he could have gotten a lot more in this years UFA market I think.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
27theROCK

Quote:
Wait, you agree with me, and then say you'd rather play the first two?

You're not making any sense.

I was saying that I would rather PLAY the flames when they had Alex and Hueselius becuase they are so soft and I dont think they present that much of a problem. So i agree they are soft and dissapear and I think the Flames are better for with the two now guys.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
MikeFLB

Quote:
I was saying that I would rather PLAY the flames when they had Alex and Hueselius becuase they are so soft and I dont think they present that much of a problem. So i agree they are soft and dissapear and I think the Flames are better for with the two now guys.
Frankly, unless Bertuzzi relives his old glory, he won't be much of a physical presence either.

MikeFLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
OilFanInCowtown

Quote:
Really? I think given the change in atmosphere and the commitment Bertuzzi has made to his training in the off-season (he lost 25 pounds), he could easily outperform Nolan.

Minnesota is going to like Nolan (we miss him here in Calgary), but he's going to be slotted behind a deeper lineup with a more defensive system.

I guess it depends on what your definition of 'contribution' is.
Ask people on this board about atmosphere of change and off-season training. Surely they haven't forgotten Torres already.

To me, this losing weight bit just sounds like the same problem continues. Todd forgot what made him a star in this league. His size. He needs to get back to the mean power forward to be at his best, but mental issues and injuries will likely prevent it from ever happening again.

The 'off-season training' comments are eerily similar to last year... then he showed up to try and be a perimeter player and a setup guy. That's not how he should play to be effective.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Oh ok... sorry for the confusion.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Really? I think given the change in atmosphere and the commitment Bertuzzi has made to his training in the off-season
Yeah, Torres and Stoll trained real hard last summer too.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
the word*

They Flames are walking a very fine line. Healthy, they should compete near last seasons pace. One key injury and they drop to the NW cellar.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
The 'off-season training' comments are eerily similar to last year... then he showed up to try and be a perimeter player and a setup guy. That's not how he should play to be effective.
True, we'll see what happens. He said on the Fan 960 yesterday that he realizes he has to get faster to play more effectively in the new NHL, and losing some weight off his body might still allow for a greater increase in speed without compromising his game, since he still should come in around 6`3 and 205-210 pounds. That`s still the qualities of a physical player.

The question is getting him physical again.

Let`s not forget; Bertuzzi has ALOT to prove this year. He`s going to be firing on all cylinders, since his NHL career is on the line this year.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:41 PM
27theROCK

As per why i like the pick up of Cammy or Tanguay and not because Cammy is cheaper and younger but to me it boils down to a couple things.

Cammy has just started to come in his own building into from a solid first real year in the pros (26g 55pts) to breaking out with a (34g 80pts) season. He started last year off like a machine and was one of the leagues best players until he slowed down and was battling a groing injury. He started to get over that and got a severe rib injury that saw him miss almost 3 months (maybe 2?) but still managed to come back not 100% and finish the year with only 10 less points than Alex who played a full year.

Last year Alex = 0.74ppg and Cammy 0.75ppg while going through all those injuries.

I also like the fact that Cammy seems to play with more passion and grit though he is only a little guy. He is a dynamic player where Alex to me seems to becoming more of an after thought.

Both good players but I really like what Cammy brings and unfortunetly for us we are going to see it first hand.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
MikeFLB

Quote:
True, we'll see what happens. Let`s not forget; Bertuzzi has ALOT to prove this year. He`s going to be firing on all cylinders, since his NHL career is on the line this year.
That's been said since the '02-'03 season. He's constantly had pressure to perform since his 97 point season, and hasn't been able to at the same level.

MikeFLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
the word*

I can see a Bertuzzi fiasco unraveling the team. That signing, no matter how it is spun, makes no sense to me. What if their own fans start to bring signs to the games and star booing him every game?

Old
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As per why i like the pick up of Cammy or Tanguay and not because Cammy is cheaper and younger but to me it boils down to a couple things.

Cammy has just started to come in his own building into from a solid first real year in the pros (26g 55pts) to breaking out with a (34g 80pts) season. He started last year off like a machine and was one of the leagues best players until he slowed down and was battling a groing injury. He started to get over that and got a severe rib injury that saw him miss almost 3 months (maybe 2?) but still managed to come back not 100% and finish the year with only 10 less points than Alex who played a full year.

Last year Alex = 0.74ppg and Cammy 0.75ppg while going through all those injuries.

I also like the fact that Cammy seems to play with more passion and grit though he is only a little guy. He is a dynamic player where Alex to me seems to becoming more of an after thought.

Both good players but I really like what Cammy brings and unfortunetly for us we are going to see it first hand.

Ya but, Tanguay over his career has ppg=.088, cammy=.72.

The big quesiton is, is cammy the 80 point player he was two years ago, or the 50 point guy he has been the rest of his career? If he is the 80 point guy, then he is as good as Tanguay, That was Tanquay's first really off season in about 4 years. he has been the much more consistant scorerer.

That beind said I like Cammy, but as of now, Tanguay>cammy, but for 3.5 mill, Cammy is a steal.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
They Flames are walking a very fine line. Healthy, they should compete near last seasons pace. One key injury and they drop to the NW cellar.
That is what would worry me if I were a Flames fan. They have not done much to improve their roster (I feel they are pretty much at where they were last year +/- by a hair). And with that said:

-Their core players, outside of Phaneuf, are at the peak years of their career (Kiprusoff, Iginla, Langkow, Regehr)
-Of their top 10 scorers, and I would suggest their key players (Iginla/Huselius/Tanguay/Lombardi/Phaneuf/Langkow/Aucoin/Conroy/Nolan/Regehr) they missed a total of 21 games (an average of 2 each). In other words, they faced virtually no injury concerns to any key players last year

Put those two together and one would think a team is performing at their top level. If that is the case, 7th in the West with a first round exit is this team's peak???

Superintendent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
OilFanInCowtown

Quote:
he still should come in around 6`3 and 205-210 pounds. That`s still the qualities of a physical player.

The question is getting him physical again.
Therein lies my problem with Todd Bertuzzi.
Does he not remember that he was tipping the scales at nearly 240 (I think it was close) when he put up 97 points?

He was unstoppable because of size and strength, and now he's trying to re-define his game to be speed and passing. I just think it's dangerous territory.

But, for the record, you got him at a good rate and are only risking it for one year. If he's a total PR disaster (worst case scenario) you banish him to Siberia (or the IR, whatever) for the remainder of the year.

I just think the Flames haven't done enough to make up for their lost players this off-season.

Old
07-08-2008, 01:58 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superintendent View Post
That is what would worry me if I were a Flames fan. They have not done much to improve their roster (I feel they are pretty much at where they were last year +/- by a hair). And with that said:

-Their core players, outside of Phaneuf, are at the peak years of their career (Kiprusoff, Iginla, Langkow, Regehr)
-Of their top 10 scorers, and I would suggest their key players (Iginla/Huselius/Tanguay/Lombardi/Phaneuf/Langkow/Aucoin/Conroy/Nolan/Regehr) they missed a total of 21 games (an average of 2 each). In other words, they faced virtually no injury concerns to any key players last year

Put those two together and one would think a team is performing at their top level. If that is the case, 7th in the West with a first round exit is this team's peak???
Poor drafting makes the difference between their top and bottom guys so damned apparent.

Old
07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
the word*

Quote:
Does he not remember that he was tipping the scales at nearly 240 (I think it was close) when he put up 97 points?

He was unstoppable because of size and strength, and now he's trying to re-define his game to be speed and passing. I just think it's dangerous territory.

But, for the record, you got him at a good rate and are only risking it for one year. If he's a total PR disaster (worst case scenario) you banish him to Siberia (or the IR, whatever) for the remainder of the year.

I just think the Flames haven't done enough to make up for their lost players this off-season.
Think Jiri Dopita, and their own fans will boo him every game to top it off. Every media personal in Canada is going to dog Bert all year

Old
07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:

I hate Bertuzzi and the move and he will feel the heat at the start of the year but it will die down. Except for me, I will continue booing him until my throat is sore. He may have been 250 when he was at his peak but it's a different game now. Iggy dropped 10 pounds last year to 205-208 and he now is better than ever before.

It looks like the BOA will be a good one this year. The Oilers are really playing Oilers hockey - high scoring, offensive, fast, forechecking hockey. And the Flames look to be back to Flames hockey - physical, defensive hockey built around Iginla. The Flames may have lost Godard but they are tough as a whole and now have more guys that can throw them. No heavyweights, though.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote