HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Ranking

Old
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
Team Ranking

I know it's only Yahoo!'s power rankings, but we are 2nd to last to only Atlanta:

29. Florida Panthers – Well, the Panthers have finally rid themselves of Olli Jokinen, but getting Keith Ballard and Nick Boynton won’t solve their problems. They certainly would have to match any offer sheet, but if restricted free-agent defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is lured away, the Panthers might as well fold the franchise.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Mirinho

who cares ... it won't be bad to be among the worst teams next season due to explosive 2009 draft

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
who cares, nobody is going to know what hit them...

by the way, who the hell has power rankings in the off-season??

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Haj

Yeah, a top 5 draft pick is always better than winning the Cup.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Biggzy*

I'd rather be ranked super low and surprise everyone if we do well. At least if we do suck, we were expected to.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Hmm, I didn't know they gave away 25 Cups.

Learn something new every day.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I know it's only Yahoo!'s power rankings, but we are 2nd to last to only Atlanta:

29. Florida Panthers – Well, the Panthers have finally rid themselves of Olli Jokinen, but getting Keith Ballard and Nick Boynton won’t solve their problems. They certainly would have to match any offer sheet, but if restricted free-agent defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is lured away, the Panthers might as well fold the franchise.

Wow, that's harsh. I think he's ranking us based on the assumption that we trade JayBo for nothing. I'd have us at 24 ahead of Leafs and shift everyone 24-28 back one.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote me on this -- there is no freaking way we are worse than the Kings or Leafs next year. No chance!

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:42 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Well it very well may be if it means Tavares.

Old
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post

We're better than Atlanta????????????? martin must have bought some yahoo stock recently

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
We're better than Atlanta????????????? martin must have bought some yahoo stock recently
Really? You've got to be kidding me if you think we're worse than Atlanta.

Old
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Yahoo sucks at everything. Their people had us below 24 when we went on that long winning streak and went like 7-2-1 in the L10....they hate us and them putting us at 29 is the continuation of it.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Who cares, that's why they play the games. I hope some teams take us lightly early on in the season as well.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Really? You've got to be kidding me if you think we're worse than Atlanta.
Still waiting on a reply. I'd love to hear someone try to justify us being worse than Atlanta.

Old
07-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Yahoo and other sites that arent just hockey sites that rank are bogus, ESPECIALLY pre-season predictions..... I'll admit it, we aren't a "sexy" team on paper, which is what this is really based on. When you look at what we have we are going to have a solid D thats a given, the wild-card is really how good is DeBoer going to be with the young forwards? If he has the ability to get this team to do what his Kitchenor and Plymouth teams did so well then I think we should be in good shape.. I just have a feeling that it may take him a little time to adjust, like Sutter this year. But I think we will definitely be in the hunt for the playoffs and if we get strong finishes to the season by Matthias, Frolik and even Repik with a little time in the AHL,maybe they could perform similar to how edmonton's gagner, cogliano and company did towards the end of the season, they got really hot and almost got edmonton in, but they started off horribly... So as long as we have a good start I think our kids could push us through to the playoffs!!

Last edited by Blad Meaning Gud: 07-08-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Red Dragon

Don't take that for much, not very objective. Philly at 5? Colorado at 12????

Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 10:24 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Somewhere, Carl Icahn is sitting in front of a laptop in his Panthers jersey thinking, "That's it. Now I'm really $*%&ing pissed!"

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:38 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I don't know, I have a feeling we're going to be good this year. People are underestimating the fact that Weiss and Horton have been in the league for 4 years now. Booth going into his 3rd. I don't think we're as bad as dead last, and if we hold onto Bouw, our D is top 3 in the conference. Vokoun is also an all-star goalie.

If the kids play like the top line of last season (around Jan-April, Stillman will offer some good even strength and powerplay points, our offense won't be bad.

I think the biggest thing people are forgetting is DeBoer. The media outlets AND fans all around are looking at our roster with JM's system still in mind. We know what this team plays like when they are allowed to take risks offensively. We have speed. There's not a player in our TOP 10 that I can say as even an average skater. Stillman might be the slowest now (but I honestly can't remember if he is a fast skater). And our defense is unbelievably mobile. Ballard and Bouw are two guys who can take the puck up ice. With DeBoer coaching I see them getting more opportunities to rush. Don't forget there's no captain right now. There's a WHOLE new philosophy in the locker room.

It'll be interesting to see how all the players respond this season.

JonathanHuberdoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 11:50 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
I don't know, I have a feeling we're going to be good this year. People are underestimating the fact that Weiss and Horton have been in the league for 4 years now. Booth going into his 3rd. I don't think we're as bad as dead last, and if we hold onto Bouw, our D is top 3 in the conference. Vokoun is also an all-star goalie.

If the kids play like the top line of last season (around Jan-April, Stillman will offer some good even strength and powerplay points, our offense won't be bad.

I think the biggest thing people are forgetting is DeBoer. The media outlets AND fans all around are looking at our roster with JM's system still in mind. We know what this team plays like when they are allowed to take risks offensively. We have speed. There's not a player in our TOP 10 that I can say as even an average skater. Stillman might be the slowest now (but I honestly can't remember if he is a fast skater). And our defense is unbelievably mobile. Ballard and Bouw are two guys who can take the puck up ice. With DeBoer coaching I see them getting more opportunities to rush. Don't forget there's no captain right now. There's a WHOLE new philosophy in the locker room.

It'll be interesting to see how all the players respond this season.
Good point on DeBoer bringing a new system. I still question how the team and D is going to gel into that system (another new system) & how consistent guys like Weiss, Booth & Horts will be going up against opponents' top defensemen night-in-and-out.

Old
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
Great points. Remember, the best we ever looked was when we were down 2 or 3 goals... If a game was scoreless as soon as the opposition would score we'd come right back... As soon as our guys were let loose they showed what they were about! Season is too far away!

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
who cares, nobody is going to know what hit them...

by the way, who the hell has power rankings in the off-season??
These rankings are on a 6 month delay and are for January 08!!! They are just now starting to catch up on last seasons coverage of Hockey. Just goes to show how crappy Yahoo's coverage is of Hockey!

Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Still waiting on a reply. I'd love to hear someone try to justify us being worse than Atlanta.
Yes, my comment was sarcsastic, but that doesn't mean we aren't the worst organization in the league. If you go player by player, which I don't have the time or desire to do, maybe we do have a better roster, but whether we are the worst or close to it is pretty much the same thing, we are a bad team. Atlanta at least made the playoffs a year ago and how long has it been for us? They do have one of the best young scorers in the game, so at least they are fun to watch. He might have more goals that our entire top line, if you can even consider anything we have a top line. Martin can make this better with the right trade of Bouw, but based on his history I don't have my hopes up.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote