HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers point predictions

Old
07-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Cuiffitelli

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
That would be an utter disaster. You have Richards, Briere, Knuble, Downie, Hartnell, Lupul, and Metropolit regressing from what they put up last year in the goal department. You have Carter staying basically the same, the Flyers getting pretty poor seasons from Gagne and Giroux, and Upshall producing the same that he did in 60 games last year. If that happens, we'll be the worst team in the league.

Are you expecting a strike shortened season or something?

no but I not expecting anything great either. 7th or 8th seed. The numbers some people are putting down are unrealistic (IMO)

Cuiffitelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
no but I not expecting anything great either. 7th or 8th seed. The numbers some people are putting down are unrealistic (IMO)
I'm not sure any of them have been as unrealistic as 205 goals outside of maybe the 340 goal prediction. This team has a lot of young players that are going to improve and you predicted that not one player on the roster would have a better season then they did last year. You can predict that the team will finish whatever you want, but they are still one of the deepest teams in the league offensively and will score goals. They aren't going to go from a team that had 7 guys with 20 goals last year not counting their best goal-scorer to a team that barely eclipses 200 goals, not happening.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
they very well may be a 7th or 8 seed, doesn't mean they're not going to score a lot of goals...cuz they will. they'll probably allow more than we would like as well if last year is any indication.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
they very well may be a 7th or 8 seed, doesn't mean they're not going to score a lot of goals...cuz they will. they'll probably allow more than we would like as well if last year is any indication.
You know what's sad? Back in the day, I remember GAAs of 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 and even 2.9 as being great GAAs. Now a days, if your GAA is one of those three, then good luck making the playoffs. Now a days, a GAA of 2.2, 2.3 or 2.4 seems to be what most goalies have going into the playoffs.

Anyways, I think the offensive strength of this team is what will carry to them into the playoffs. Let's not forget that this isn't a one line team like some of the teams in the east. I look at teams like Ottawa, Boston, Washington, New York R, New Jersey, and I see each time has one great offensive line. We have the potential to roll three great offensive lines. Not many teams can match that. What I like is that this is going to be a team that's going to come in waves and when it comes to the opposition, who do you put your checking line against? Do you put it against Briere? Great, then you've left the Richards line and the Carter line open. Do you put it against Richards? Now you've got Briere's line open and they can do damage? Do you put it against Carter? Richards' line is now free.

I'm really liking the way the team is shaping up. Would it be nice if we had a defense to match? Of course, but we've got what we've got. Fact is, we've got six mobile defensemen that can move the puck. You know what, that works for me.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Cuiffitelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
I'm not sure any of them have been as unrealistic as 205 goals outside of maybe the 340 goal prediction. This team has a lot of young players that are going to improve and you predicted that not one player on the roster would have a better season then they did last year. You can predict that the team will finish whatever you want, but they are still one of the deepest teams in the league offensively and will score goals. They aren't going to go from a team that had 7 guys with 20 goals last year not counting their best goal-scorer to a team that barely eclipses 200 goals, not happening.

Think what you want, The thread was to make a prediction and I did. I feel that last year the team over achieved last year. Also i think Gags is not going to be the same player he used to be. Thirdly, just because a player is young does not mean he has to produce more points every year. A player will hit a wall from time to time or just not have a good season. Is my prediction conservative...heck yes...but it is still a prediction! Hey, I am doing my job and being negitive.

Old
07-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Jester

Quote:
Think what you want, The thread was to make a prediction and I did. I feel that last year the team over achieved last year. Also i think Gags is not going to be the same player he used to be. Thirdly, just because a player is young does not mean he has to produce more points every year. A player will hit a wall from time to time or just not have a good season. Is my prediction conservative...heck yes...but it is still a prediction! Hey, I am doing my job and being negitive.
...205 is good for 25th in the league in scoring last year...it's one thing to be negative, but that's a mighty stretch as far as production goes.

Old
07-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Cuiffitelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...205 is good for 25th in the league in scoring last year...it's one thing to be negative, but that's a mighty stretch as far as production goes.
In reality I did not total up the goals. I guess 205 is low, but not by much. I think the Flyers will end up middle of the pack in scoring.

Old
07-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
In reality I did not total up the goals. I guess 205 is low, but not by much. I think the Flyers will end up middle of the pack in scoring.
Not this team if it stays healthy... too much firepower up front, just like last year. I'm not enamored with this roster, but you have to give some respect to the offensive weapons on this club. I'll be shocked if they're not top third, and wouldn't be shocked at all to see them competing for the league lead in scoring.

Defensively, however, there are very much some lingering questions.

Old
07-12-2008, 05:51 PM
MojoJojo

I predict that we will have one of the top three offenses in the league. Our goals against is going to remain our achilles heel. I predict at least seven 20 goal scorers, of which at least three will also top 30.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Just bumbping this so we can see how our predictions look now that the season is over.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 09:34 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I can't believe I predicted Picard for 31 points in 07-08, what a fail.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I can't believe I predicted Picard for 31 points in 07-08, what a fail.
I was definitely smoking whatever you were lol. I picked the same thing as you cause it looked "reasonable" lol. We were hella wrong

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Briere- 33 goals 50 assists - 83 Points
Richards- 25 goals 48 assists - 73 Points
Carter- 39 goals 34 assists - 73 Points
Gagne- 32 goals 28 assists - 60 Points
Lupul- 31 goals 30 assists - 61 points
Hartnell- 28 goals 20 assists - 48 points
Giroux- 12 goals 25 assists - 37 points
Cote- 1 goals 5 assists - 6 points
Upshall- 12 goals 20 assists - 32 points
Metro- 8 goals 22 assists - 30 points
Asham- 3 goals 10 assists - 13 points

These two are the wildcards. One or the other will get playtime/be on the team IMO
Knuble- 22 goals 26 assists - 48 points
Downie- 9 goals 16 assists - 25 (spot call ups)

Kimmo- 14 goals 37 assists - 51 points
Coburn- 7 goals 34 assists - 41 points
Jones- 5 goals 19 assists - 24 points
Eminger- 7 goals 16 assists - 25 points
Ossi- 2 goals 8 assists - 10 points
Parent- 2 goal 7 assists - 9 points

Total: 255+37=292
Subtract 15% because of injuries and unforeseen events
Total=248 (exact same as last year)
Aside from the injuries, i made good predictions on Carter, Knuble, and Richards, I expected a lot more out of Lupul, but i didn't give enough credit to Hartnell, Asham, or Giroux. I also thought too highly of our defense's offensive potential.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Aside from the injuries, i made good predictions on Carter, Knuble, and Richards, I expected a lot more out of Lupul, but i didn't give enough credit to Hartnell, Asham, or Giroux. I also thought too highly of our defense's offensive potential.
Speaking of Hartnell...

Is BCF16 going to finally admit that he was wrong about Hartnell? He hit 30 goals and 50 points, the arbitrary numbers he has always said Hartnell needs to attain to stop being a useless boob.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:07 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Total team goals: 257 (only 3 teams scored at least as much last season)

Accounting for injuries, less 10%: ~231 goals, a healthy 2.82 goals per game
My team prediction was solid...... until I adjusted for injuries.

The Flyers scored 260 goals this year.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:17 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I was way off for everyone except Richards but I was still 5 points over.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote