Flyers Fan here. I just gotta say wow! This team should now be something overnight. The only move I am not so hi on is Zherdev, I always liked him, Now he's with trhe Rangers I will have to watch him play against the Flyers. Don't worry about RJ, he's not a flash in the pan, I was sick hearing the John Druce and Fernando Passini somparisons. Fact is that guy works like a horse in the off season. I have no doubt he will raise his game even higher this offseason. And with steady linemates and put him on a position and keep im there he wuill be my hockeypool sleeper for sure. Anyway you guys must be pretty stoked. Your goaltending is solid and now you built out. You will be scary team to play IMO. How do you guys feel about your team next year?
Great avatar. Just got that on DVD to replace an aging VHS
Let's resurrect this thread at a time when it'll mean more.
Kevin Lowe's a moron who likes to brag about his 6 Stanley Cups, but fails to mention that Messier and Gretzky had more to do with winning them than he did.
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
I want to know if we finally go .500 against Nashville (or even .167!) For me winning the season series versus the Predators would make me think this season is a success. Even more so than the Wings, I have hated the Preds ever since the neon green fly swatters they used to pass out when we played them.
My guess 8-9th with 90-94 points. I want at least 4 games over .500 and no month long slow downs...slides...slumps or anything that resembles the meltdowns we seem to have at some point these last few seasons (which does say we have had up points during those seasons also!)
1) Huselius, while streaky, is better than anyone Nash has had at his other wing, IMO. Huselius will set Nash up more because people will not be allowed to focus 100% of their attention on him, they have to pay some attention to Huselius or he will put a few in the back of the net. Not only that, but Nash has Umberger as his center. May not be a #1 center, but better than anything Nash has had before. Put quality around a world class player, and that world class player gets better. Nash has never had that quality around him before.
2) Heard of Toews and Kane? Rookies can come in and make big impacts. I'm not expecting a 30 goal year from Voracek or a 40 assist year from Brassard, but if Brassard does earn, and I stress, earn his spot on that top line, he's going to put up some points. Voracek has gotten bigger and absolutely crushed all the competition last year in juniors. I think he will come in and put up 15-20 goals. Nothing spectacular from these 2 players is expected, just solid players.
3) Leclaire had an amazing year last year with not much defense in front of him. Adding Tyutin and Commodore to Klesla and Hejda provides a much better top 4 than we had last year. Improved D should result in less goals, hense a better season for Leclaire. Of course this is all depending on Leclaire staying healthy of course.
I may be an optimist but I believe in this team and what it has set out to do this year, and that is make the playoffs. And I think they will. If I'm wrong, well then I'm wrong, but I believe in this team.
These are key points that have been overlooked to date. KH is an excellent playmaker who skated on CGY top line with Jerome and Lankgow (not a #1 center). Nash-RJ-KH has the makings of a very good #1 line. THe center position is vastly overrated. RJ will be taking the faceoffs and defensive responsibilites for the #1 line while KH takes over the center (playmaking) responsibilities in the O zone. RJ will be in the corners digging the puck out more oftne than KH or RN. I guess you could say we have a number 1 center by committee in KH and RJ.
You guys need to be way more optmistic. From an outsiders point of view you will make the playoffs reasons why
1. Solid Goaltending - Leclair has arrived
2. Balanced Scoring - You now have it with the aDDITIONS YOU'VE MADE
3. Solid Coaching
Your D is suspect. this team probobly wont take you deep but making the playoffs is a start and then who knows. Good Luck
I'm not sure we've really added any scoring; if the rookies don't step up, I can't imagine us being much different in that department. Maybe 15-20 more goals, but when you're flopping around on the bottom of the goal scoring department, that isn't a lot.
Who are the 5 that voted that we would finish in the top five?
Optimism is all good but what have you been huffing???
I thought sixth or seventh but if the stars align and the kids come out like Kane and Toews we could finish fifth. That's a big if, of course but barring a rash of the wrong injuries we go to the playoffs this year, and we don't face the Red Wings in the first round.
main problem with Huselius is that he's very streaky, he'll go like 10 games with alot of points, then 10 more with none...Keep in mind he played with Iginla who's a more experienced Nash really.
I don't think he keeps getting traded because he's "inconsistent" - it was his poor work ethic on ice that got him repeatedly benched in Florida and benched in Calgary by both Playfair and by Keenan last season. And, he's 30 yrs old ... awfully hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
I picked 11th, but could be as high as 8th or as low as 15th. Outside of Detroit, Dallas, SJ, and Anaheim I'm not that impressed with the West. I think after those four Chicago and Calgary will be 5th-6th. That leaves Columbus, Colorado, Vancouver, Phoenix, St.L, Nashville, LA, Edmonton, and Minn to fight it out for the bottom. I don't believe any of those teams are significantly better than last year, Minn, Nashville, Colorado, and Vancouver (may not be finished yet) got worse in my opinion. Columbus is the wild card. We had significant roster turnover, but I don't think we added enough skill to make much of a jump. It all comes down to the rookies. If they are like Kane and Toews, we probably get in. If not we'll be picking in the top 10 again next year.
I believe it will come down to Phoenix, Columbus, Edmonton, Nashville and Minnesota. 2 of those 5 will get in.