HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Avs' play-by-play guys are the WORST!!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Also, their radio PBP guy, Mike Haynes, is equally as horrible. This picture says enough.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:58 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Old
02-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
''OHH THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!'' after the Avs score a goal

Old
02-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
Dude, no one is better than Rick Jeannerette. He is by far the god of hockey announcing. His voice is like no other. He's even better than Doc.
Guy sounds like he puts a Quarter Pounder in his mouth before talking.

Seriously! Swallow, then speak. -- hmm, I won't add a pun on this one.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:19 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
There are plenty of guys that have played in the NHL and still suck as broadcasters. Ryan Walter and John Garrett come to mind...
No, that's not what you said. You said least "knowledgable". Call McNabb a poor broadcaster if you like. But it's a simple and obvious rebuttle to your knowledgable card. I'd say he knows just a tad about the game.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:26 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Also, their radio PBP guy, Mike Haynes, is equally as horrible. This picture says enough.
Holy crap, is that quote attributed to him for real? By god, that's frickin hilarious.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:57 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
What I've heard him compared to mostly is someone who should be calling a horse race. He just talks so fast andrunsallhiswordstogetherlikethis, I'm out of breath just listening to him.
Past life as an auction caller maybe?

Old
02-19-2004, 09:50 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Holy crap, is that quote attributed to him for real? By god, that's frickin hilarious.
No, it's a parody of the real call.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:58 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Haynes is pretty cool...
He can make just listening to a game exciting...
Anyone remember that Roy-triple save last year?

Old
02-19-2004, 10:02 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Yeah Avs broadcasters are the worst. By far the most biased and least knowledgeable.

You have all apparently never listened to the hockey stylings of one Tripp Tracy. He needs to be put to sleep.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Mr. T

I only thing I know about John Kelly is that Herb Brooks wanted to beat the snot out of him a few years ago.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Higgy4

I will start off by once again saying this:

The ESPN hockey announcers are the worst in the history of the sport.

I agree that local announcers have a right to be biased...to an extent. But they also need to have objectivity. Alot do not. I have the NHL Center Ice package for the 1st time this year, and I have heard alot of different duos.

Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond are my favorite...for obvious reasons. Redmond can be a pretty big homer occassionally. But what makes them work, is that Daniels is not a homer at all, so they really work off each other and keep it pretty straight forward.

I think Jim Hughson is fantastic! He does a great job.

I like John Davidson and Co. when they do the Rangers games. But when Davidson slides over to ESPN/ABC, he becomes just another circus boy in the ESPN carnival.

I also have expressed my love for Bob Cole and Harry Neale. Actually, the CBC guys in general (minus Greg Millen) are almost always terrific.

I think Ray Ferraro does a pretty good job as the color man in Edmonton.

I hate the Coyotes guys...I dont even know their Coyote names, but I know I Coyote hate em.

I dont watch ALOT of Avs games...but I do agree that they seem VERY homeristic. They act like fathers who are broadcasting their sons games sometimes.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I dont really like Mike Emrick much either. I think it goes back to when he and Bill Clement used to do games together. And anything associated with Bill Clement gives me rage.

I have said this before. I like the announcers to be a backdrop...or a soundtrack, if you will...to the games. I dont like announcers who get so overly excited and loud that they, themselves, become the game. I dont care for all the cliches, and trademark goal calls. Thats just them trying to make a name for themselves. If you are good at your job, you dont need gimmicks and goofy goal calls to make a name for yourself.

My 2 cents.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:38 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
As much as I loathe the Avs' team, the Sharks team and the Nucks team are both at the very least just as bad. LA has a bad duo as well.

Of all the announcing teams that I can vividly remember, the Devils seem to have the best overall.

Emrick is a great play-by-play guy, but Chico Resch is horrid as his color man.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:41 AM
John Flyers Fan

When talking about bad announcing crews I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Predators.

I can't watch them if they're on Center Ice. Terry Crisp makes my ears bleed.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:43 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Let me be the first to say that Steve Coates of the Flyers should be taken behind the woodshed and shot. I didn't say shot and killed, just shot. That way Gary Dornhoefer, who actually has a clue, can be given more time to make statements that pertain to things happening on the ice.
Couldn't agree more.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
When talking about bad announcing crews I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Predators.

Yeah, they are pretty bad. See the sad thing is...there are many more bad announcers than good announcers, IMO. Its hard to remember all the bad ones. Its a tough job, and I give everybody who does it a little credit. But most of these guys have been doing it for YEARS, and they still suck.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Miller and Fox ain't that good. Then again, I'm a Ducks fan. Also, it's "Let's Talk About It", GET IT RIGHT!

So I guess being a Ducks fan gives you an excuse to say silly things? Bob Miller not that good? He calls the game the way it should be called and for the most part is objective in calling the game... he calls it like he sees it. When your name is mentioned along the likes of Chick Hearn and Vin Scully, that means you are the best at what you do (and those two were/are the best in calling basketball and baseball). Oh and he's also in the Hockey Hall of Fame.
But he ain't that good.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

now, to be fair...

Crispy is the kind of guy that only fans of the particular team could love. However...Preds fans DO love him...because he has personality, which is a lot more than can be said about a lot of other color guys.

however...no one should have a problem with Pete Weber as a play-by-play. I think that he combines knowledge and humor with accurate, insightful calling.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
You have all apparently never listened to the hockey stylings of one Tripp Tracy. He needs to be put to sleep.
What's strange about him is, when he does his between-period analysis stuff, he's obviously very knowledgeable about the game and finds a lot of interesting plays to discuss. He seems to know what he's talking about, but his color commentary really drives me nuts sometimes, and I'm no fashion police, but some of his suits are just scary.

Old
02-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Knucklez

Tom Larcheid can be a huge homer, but he can also be very objective. I love him.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Emrick is a great play-by-play guy, but Chico Resch is horrid as his color man.
Good thing about color guys--is that they don't talk very often.

Old
02-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust

So I guess being a Ducks fan gives you an excuse to say silly things? Bob Miller not that good? He calls the game the way it should be called and for the most part is objective in calling the game... he calls it like he sees it. When your name is mentioned along the likes of Chick Hearn and Vin Scully, that means you are the best at what you do (and those two were/are the best in calling basketball and baseball). Oh and he's also in the Hockey Hall of Fame.
But he ain't that good.
No, he isn't that good. He is certainly no where near the best. I could care less if some people mention his name along the likes of Chick Hearn and Vin Scully, it doesn't mean he's up there with them. Bottom line is, that he's no Doc Emrick, and he will never even get close to being like the PBP phenom that is Rick Jeanerette.

Old
02-20-2004, 04:12 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4

I like John Davidson and Co. when they do the Rangers games. But when Davidson slides over to ESPN/ABC, he becomes just another circus boy in the ESPN carnival.

If you are good at your job, you dont need gimmicks and goofy goal calls to make a name for yourself.
Obviousily you dont listen to Davidson & Rosen on MSG enough...

Old
02-20-2004, 05:15 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
Obviousily you dont listen to Davidson & Rosen on MSG enough...
I do, and I think they are both VERY good.

Old
02-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Yotes03

Just to help you guys out Curt Keilback is the play by play guy for the Coyotes and Charlie Simmer is the color. So from now on I want to read "Keilback is the worst pbp guy in the league". No more of this "that coyotes guy sucks"!

I'm surprised how many people have noted how bad he is. He's been doing it for a long time and the organization treats him like royalty. IMHO, he is pretty bad. The worst thing is that they simulcast him to the radio also so for us local Phoenix fans there is no escaping him. Sometimes he makes Gary Thorne sound sedated, which is not an easy thing to do.

Closed Thread