HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Getty to license Flickr images

Old
07-10-2008, 01:34 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Getty to license Flickr images

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/08...flickr-photos/

I'd imagine a number of "fans" (i.e., not officially licensed photographers, or media reps) have photographs on Flickr from NHL games (and other sporting events).

While the NHL and NHLPA might support this, as it will potentially bring in more revenue, I have to wonder if there will be any displeasure from officially licensed photographers.

Will bear watching.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Lots of online publications use Flickr as a way to get free images. They submit the little request on the photo page, and typically the user is flattered to be selected and wants to have more exposure to their photos, so they accept without thinking twice. I've seen a lot of backlash on Flickr groups from professional photographers because it hurts anyone who does it as a profession. I've had requests on there from sites that in their request say something like "we are partnered with major corporations such as Expedia and Hotwire". My response is usually to say if you are partnered with such high dollar companies, you can compensate me for my photo if you want to use it.

The good news here is that it says Getty will negotiate payment with each member selected. That said, I would assume most everyone will be severely lowballed.

07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Getty Images i a joke...They were at the ASG celebration in Dallas and we had a picture of my daughter sitting in the top the the Stanley cup. They took pics of here and posted them on their site. I called them to see if i could get a 4x7 copy and they said it would be $250 for a copy. So i asked them why are they selling pics of her to other sits and he father (me) cant get a ****ing copy. They finally caved about a month later and mailed me a copy.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I'd imagine a number of "fans" (i.e., not officially licensed photographers, or media reps) have photographs on Flickr from NHL games (and other sporting events).
Getty won't be asking for the average fan's photos... in most arenas, the kind of equipment you need to take a photo that meets Getty's minimum standard of quality is prohibited.

This isn't a move by Getty to bring stock photography to the soccer mom or hockey fan; this is Getty scouting flickr for potential new contributors. You aren't going to see someones photo of a fight from the upper bowl with a little link above it that says "license this photo with Getty."

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Getty Images i a joke...They were at the ASG celebration in Dallas and we had a picture of my daughter sitting in the top the the Stanley cup. They took pics of here and posted them on their site. I called them to see if i could get a 4x7 copy and they said it would be $250 for a copy. So i asked them why are they selling pics of her to other sits and he father (me) cant get a ****ing copy. They finally caved about a month later and mailed me a copy.
That's not a joke, its called trying to make money anywhere you can at a time when people seem to think that photography is free. $250 does seem pretty high though, they probably thought you wanted to license the image from them. Selling individual prints isn't something that Getty does on a regular basis; you would have been better off contacting the actual photographer, I think.

Old
07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/08...flickr-photos/

While the NHL and NHLPA might support this, as it will potentially bring in more revenue, I have to wonder if there will be any displeasure from officially licensed photographers.

Will bear watching.
Do you realize what equipment you need to photograph hockey games? They just want to get more quality stock photos much cheaper prize then hiring new photographers.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
That's not a joke, its called trying to make money anywhere you can at a time when people seem to think that photography is free. $250 does seem pretty high though, they probably thought you wanted to license the image from them. Selling individual prints isn't something that Getty does on a regular basis; you would have been better off contacting the actual photographer, I think.
The actual photographer said for me to contact Getty and give them his name and i did....they said regardless what he said Getty owns the rights to the picture. I told them that i though the photographer legally owns the picture unless Getty purchases the rights to the photograph.

These are pics of my daughter and wife

Old
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Why not just ask them to email you a high-res pic and then you could get the prints done yourself? Or did they reject that too?

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Why not just ask them to email you a high-res pic and then you could get the prints done yourself? Or did they reject that too?
They rejected that also...plus they said even if they did it would have the Getty image watermark.

Old
07-10-2008, 11:23 AM
KRM

Quote:
They rejected that also...plus they said even if they did it would have the Getty image watermark.
You should have threaten with them using it commercially without a model release, you'd get how many copies you'd like in no time.

Old
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
You should have threaten with them using it commercially without a model release, you'd get how many copies you'd like in no time.
lol......what i did say that made their decision in mailing me a few copies is i said "Im glad you feel the need to publish pictures for profit without my permission..its almost like you are whoring her out for profit". Once they heard that i received an envelope in the mail with 3 copies of each picture.

Old
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
KRM

Quote:
lol......what i did say that made their decision in mailing me a few copies is i said "Im glad you feel the need to publish pictures for profit without my permission..its almost like you are whoring her out for profit". Once they heard that i received an envelope in the mail with 3 copies of each picture.
Why did you wait a month saying that?

Old
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
The actual photographer said for me to contact Getty and give them his name and i did....they said regardless what he said Getty owns the rights to the picture. I told them that i though the photographer legally owns the picture unless Getty purchases the rights to the photograph.

These are pics of my daughter and wife

I don't know for sure since I don't shoot for Getty, but I believe that photographers that shoot on assignment for Getty have an agreement to distribute the image exclusively through Getty Images. The photographer retains copyright, but Getty does all the marketing and distribution. I would think the photographer would be within his right to make a small print and give it to you, if he chose to.

Like I said, Getty deals with millions of images, and very few requests from fathers to get a 5x7 print. They probably don't have someone on staff to go make a print at some random guy's request... that's not what the company does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
For commercial use, yes. For editorial usage (newspapers, etc) no model release is required, not even for children.

Old
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Anyone that's tried to deal with Getty knows how they only care about their profit line. Those of us who purchase and try to photo match Game Worn jerseys try not to even deal with them as they are that big of a pain in the ass.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
For commercial use, yes. For editorial usage (newspapers, etc) no model release is required, not even for children.
It seems odd (in a bad way) that just attending a sports event (or not anything at all) is license to sell your likeness to editorial customers..

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
It seems odd (in a bad way) that just attending a sports event (or not anything at all) is license to sell your likeness to editorial customers..
Well, sporting events are usually held in private venues, who get to make all the rules anyways... there may well be a release built into the terms of sale for the ticket that allow commercial (advertising, promotional, etc) use of any photo taken on site by staff photographers.

In general though, if you're in a public place, anyone can take a photo or video of you for editorial purposes (paper, web, broadcast), with no obligation to obtain consent/release, or be required to provide a copy of the material. It's obviously the courteous thing to do, and I try to do that with my own photography, but it definitely isn't required.

Can you imagine if EVERY image you see in news media needed to have a signed release? Papers, broadcasts, websites, would have nothing to show but a bunch of lame text and talking heads...

Old
07-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Moved the thread, as I don't see any connection to the BoHB in the ongoing discussion.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:53 PM
sjsharky

You gonna be as active in the lounge as you are in the 10,000 thread LS?

sjsharky is offline   Reply With Quote