HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bouwmeester not going to be traded?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
  #26
TheHMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Yeah, but he is a UFA in a year, so how are you going to convince anyone to give up a player with J-Bo's potential for a guy that could leave or demand a kings ransom in a year? A deadline deal might actually improve his trade value when GM's are desperate to improve for a cup run, you actually get to play him for most of the year, and you get time to maybe try to work out a long term deal.
I disagree, Bouwmeester isn't as much of an impact player like Hossa. He's still only 24 and most of his value is based on his potential, not his current abilities. If GM's are going to pay a large sum for the guy, it's to sign him longterm, not just to improve themselves for a cup run. I doubt a deadline deal would net a healthy return for Florida. Most teams gearing up for a cup run wouldn't be willing to part with any proven or substantial assets, whatever they're going to get it's going to be a handful of picks and prospects.

JM is taking on a huge gamble by trying to sign Bouwmeester. If he doesn't manage to get it done before Arbitration, then he can't negotiate for an extension until January. That only leaves him a couple months to lock Bouw up, and there's always the possibility that some players don't like to discuss contract details mid-season. By that time of year, Bouw may decide to hold out till free agency and give him control over where he's going to end up and for how much. Jacques better know what he is doing, because this could easily turn into a disaster.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
  #27
Shaun_W_W
Registered User
 
Shaun_W_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
If he signs a one year deal I can see him being offered 7-8 million+ a year until he retires. He will quite possibly set the NHL contract record next off-season.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
  #28
Danny Tanner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
I disagree, Bouwmeester isn't as much of an impact player like Hossa. He's still only 24 and most of his value is based on his potential, not his current abilities.
sorry, but that's just flat out wrong.

in the now, bouwmeester is a bona-fide #1 d man. no questions asked. his value lies on his current abilities coupled with the fact that he is only 24 years old and has at least 10, possibly 13-14 more years of that type of hockey ahead of him.

...and he might still get better.


Quote:
If GM's are going to pay a large sum for the guy, it's to sign him longterm, not just to improve themselves for a cup run. I doubt a deadline deal would net a healthy return for Florida. Most teams gearing up for a cup run wouldn't be willing to part with any proven or substantial assets, whatever they're going to get it's going to be a handful of picks and prospects.
agree - but it wouldn't be for the reasons you stated above...more because that is what the market at the deadline is like. no contender wants to alter it's roster going into the stretch run by subtracting key cogs.

Quote:
JM is taking on a huge gamble by trying to sign Bouwmeester. If he doesn't manage to get it done before Arbitration, then he can't negotiate for an extension until January. That only leaves him a couple months to lock Bouw up, and there's always the possibility that some players don't like to discuss contract details mid-season. By that time of year, Bouw may decide to hold out till free agency and give him control over where he's going to end up and for how much. Jacques better know what he is doing, because this could easily turn into a disaster
true. i've said all along it's either sign him long term before arbitration or deal him before arbitration. no other options in my eyes.

Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
  #29
TheHMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post

in the now, bouwmeester is a bona-fide #1 d man. no questions asked. his value lies on his current abilities coupled with the fact that he is only 24 years old and has at least 10, possibly 13-14 more years of that type of hockey ahead of him.

...and he might still get better.
I wasn't being entirely clear, but that's basically what I was saying. He's a legitimate #1 Defense man right now, however most people here are speculating his value based on the fact that he's going to be effective AND improve over the course of several years. He hasn't hit his prime yet, so you're not going to get the maximum value out of him at the deadline opposed to guys like Campbell and Hossa who are totally developed. He's effectively a rental player; he's going to be helpful as an addition, but people really don't want him short term, they want him for many years to come.

I'm not saying that he can't get the kind of return that Campbell got, because he can easily match it, but if you expect people to pay for his potential a couple years down the line when he's only going to be playing a couple months for them, then I'd be doubtful of that.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
  #30
wint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
If it were the money/years holding things up, Jay could have signed a huge offer sheet with another team that the Panthers would have matched. So that's not the issue.

If Jay simply wanted out, he would want to sign a 1-year deal to get him to UFA status. As the Panthers would never offer this, he would elect for arbitration. This is what has happened. Above and beyond this fact, Jay could dispel rumors that he wanted to leave Florida in 5 seconds. As Panthers beat writer George Richards pointed out, he has not done so.

The only other explanation for how things have played out is that Jay has given the team an ultimatum: convince me this team is worth it during the 2008-2009 season (by making the playoffs, maybe) or I'm out.

Being a Panther fan, this could be a mixed blessing. If Jay is threatening to bolt if we don't make the playoffs and not simply biding his time to get out no matter what, Jacques could gamble on next season. Either A) the Panthers make some big strides, make the playoffs and keep Jay long-term, or B) miss the playoffs, kiss Jay goodbye for nothing and get ready for another 10 years of rebuilding.

wint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:20 PM
  #31
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Yeah, but he is a UFA in a year, so how are you going to convince anyone to give up a player with J-Bo's potential for a guy that could leave or demand a kings ransom in a year? A deadline deal might actually improve his trade value when GM's are desperate to improve for a cup run, you actually get to play him for most of the year, and you get time to maybe try to work out a long term deal.
Am I missing something - if he's dealt at the deadline he's only playing 20 games + play-off's, so I don't know how that can be considered "most of the year"?

My general point was - if JBo is traded now - FLA would probably get an asset with a similiar potential to J-Bo + other significant assets. If he's traded at the deadline, the package typically includes late 1st round DP's, former 1st rounders that are in the "suspect" stage of their development, and roster filler. It's unlikely that FLA would land roster players or guys ready to step in and contribute at the trade deadline.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
  #32
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Tanner View Post
sorry, but that's just flat out wrong.

in the now, bouwmeester is a bona-fide #1 d man. no questions asked. his value lies on his current abilities coupled with the fact that he is only 24 years old and has at least 10, possibly 13-14 more years of that type of hockey ahead of him.

...and he might still get better.

agree - but it wouldn't be for the reasons you stated above...more because that is what the market at the deadline is like. no contender wants to alter it's roster going into the stretch run by subtracting key cogs.

true. i've said all along it's either sign him long term before arbitration or deal him before arbitration. no other options in my eyes
.
Agree with your post, especially the bolded part. IMO, it's absolutely vital that the Panthers get full value for J-Bo if he won't sign a LT extension before his arbitration hearing.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
  #33
Brycios
Registered User
 
Brycios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Osgoode
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
pipe dream people!

edit: this is a message to sens fans.
We were all happy in our bubble until you came along.

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:28 PM
  #34
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,660
vCash: 500
Ya know, the Panthers could always elect for a 2-year contract through arbitration instead of a 1-year deal so he may not even be traded for 2 years, if at all.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
  #35
Pukboy5kroner
Registered User
 
Pukboy5kroner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Ya know, the Panthers could always elect for a 2-year contract through arbitration instead of a 1-year deal so he may not even be traded for 2 years, if at all.
A team can't reach a contract with a player through arbitration for more than 1 year, if said player will be a UFA by July 1st of the following year. The Cats are pissing up a rope with the way Jaques-Strap Martin handled all of this.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:28 AM
  #36
Noldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
I know that everyone loves to spell doom and gloom to Panthers and unfortunately there is valid reasons for concern this time.

But, we are living in cap era. Even if Florida management would agree that J.Bo is essential and irreplacable piece of the team, wouldn't it be wise try to negotiate contract with care and try to reach good contract instead of just giving JBo straight what he wants (whatever it might be) because he is so essential.

I could see few plausible scenarios here:
1.) Florida is actually aiming for Ovy style contract, a panther for life deal and I could easily see JBo be hesitant, looking at the history of franchise and the rate defencemen have gone up in price over last few years.

2.) The unfortunate, but probable case that Jay really wants out and prefer 1 year deal, allowing him to pick his destiantion next year. Just look Hossa this summer, there is certain charm in being able to choose and there won't be lack of suitors for Jay next summer.

3.) Management and Jay are on the same ballpark regarding term (5-7 years), but issue is money with Florida aiming for Dion level [6,0-6,5] and Jay looking for full UFA value [7,0-8,0].

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:31 AM
  #37
Kesler Kills Kommies
Registered User
 
Kesler Kills Kommies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Gerber View Post
Let's hope that's not the case.

- Ottawa Senators fans.

If your team has so much cap hit to get Bouwmeester, you should instead try to look for a goalie.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.