HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrice Brisebois Re-Signing Rumours...

Old
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
I'm good with him as a 7th d-man for sure

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
As long as it's cheap, but we still need to sign O'Bryne, and with Brisebois could push us to below 7 mill for Sundin...
Well if we sign Brisebois AND Sundin.. someone has to go.. because that's 24 players.

If Dandenault goes, his salary alone will cover the salaries of both O'Byrne and Brisebois.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
axman88

you know what would be interesting....if he really wants to play for the habs I wonder if he wouldn't mind signing a 2 yr 2 way contract....that way if we ever need to fill the gap on offense or defense we can "send him to the minors" (but he doesn't have to go) so that we can call someone else up (ex: valentenko)...that way i believe he doesn't have to go through waivers and he shouldn't expect to play more than 30 games a yr.

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Well if we sign Brisebois AND Sundin.. someone has to go.. because that's 24 players.

If Dandenault goes, his salary alone will cover the salaries of both O'Byrne and Brisebois.
Go with "Who's the easiest to cut".......Chipchura will be send down and you'll have Lapierre centering the 3rd and Bégin the 4th just because we have 2 insurance policies in Dandenault and Brisebois despite not permitting Chipchura to gain some experience and playing Bégin at a position he's not that good at......

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
you know what would be interesting....if he really wants to play for the habs I wonder if he wouldn't mind signing a 2 yr 2 way contract....that way if we ever need to fill the gap on offense or defense we can "send him to the minors" (but he doesn't have to go) so that we can call someone else up (ex: valentenko)...that way i believe he doesn't have to go through waivers and he shouldn't expect to play more than 30 games a yr.
that's not how it works...

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
snakeye

Wow I can't believe all the hate Brisebois is receiving. What more do you guys want from him as a 6th or 7th defenseman? Do you want him to score 30 goals or what?

I think he did ok last year, didn't complain, and collected the most points as a defenseman during the playoffs. He can still be useful to us, he's not a finished player like most people here seem to think.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Well, this is my point. Why can't we sign a d-man who used to be a 5th defenseman elsewhere ? I don't like the principle of restricting ourselves to compare him to other 7th defensemen only.
We have a hard enough time trying to sign guys in Montreal.

How are those discussions going to go?

"Hey, while you already don't want to sign with us.. but I have something that might entice you. Elsewhere you could play 70-80 games a season, but here, right in Montreal, we can pay you to only play in 30 games a season!"

Old
07-10-2008, 01:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
A two way contract just means that he'd get paid minor league salary after reporting. He would still have to clear waivers due to age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Go with "Who's the easiest to cut".......Chipchura will be send down and you'll have Lapierre centering the 3rd and Bégin the 4th just because we have 2 insurance policies in Dandenault and Brisebois despite not permitting Chipchura to gain some experience and playing Bégin at a position he's not that good at......
But if we sign Sundin, Dandenault HAS to be one the goes. If Chipchura is sent down, we can't fit the $7M / y. If Dandenualt gets sent down (or traded, or waived) we can afford the salary.

When I was writing, I was thinking about Chippy... but there is just no way possible.

Old
07-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

There's a little matter of experience that's still lacking on the team as a whole. Stanley Cup winning experience. I think have PB around isn't a bad thing, he's changed my mind about him last year, and we know pretty much what to expect. (Some good plays on the PP, decent 1st pass, plenty of dumb giveaways and soft D-zone play).

Also, he clearly earned his pay in the playoffs, where contracts are truly earned.

I'd wager the 2nd year (if there is one) will be a club option.

The 7th spot is a bad place to stick a kid who's trying to break through, it really is the proper place for a greybeard vet. Brisebois gets the style of play that the team is doing, he can be inserted in when injury strikes, and you know what you're gonna get. Not to mention that *he* knows what to expect and will accept his role, whereas some unknown player may try like mad to get more ice, and be a strange face in the locker room, trying to displace someone else.

I really am more comfortable with someone in that role who's loyalty to the CH is unquestionable, and who's desire to win a Cup in Montreal is undeniable, than a hired gun just hanging on for an NHL paycheque before their inevitable trip to Europe or the AHL.

I hated Patrice at the end of his last stint in the uniform. But he proved his worth last year, in both decent play and in having the guts to come back, let's not dump on him for wanting to be here 2 more years.

Also, he's a better #7 than Dandenault !

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
"Le Canadien serait sur le point de s'entendre avec le vétéran défenseur Patrice Brisebois."

I'm at work I can only skim a few posts once in a while. That's why I asked.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Wow I can't believe all the hate Brisebois is receiving. What more do you guys want from him as a 6th or 7th defenseman? Do you want him to score 30 goals or what?
The problem is that he played as a number 4 defenseman last year. Do you think that's going to change?

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
The problem is that he played as a number 4 defenseman last year. Do you think that's going to change?
He had to play as a #4 in the playoffs because he was playing better than Markov, Komi and Hamrlik...

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Beakermania*

Sign him for 1 year... if we need a second year, we sign him to a second year next off-season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I'm at work I can only skim a few posts once in a while. That's why I asked.
The smilie wasn't directed at you but at the quote.

Bobby Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
O'Byrne plays and old man Brisebois stays home.

Why do we need to have an over the hill 7th defenseman? He's insurance for what exactly? Valentenko or Carle could just as easily be used as replacements if we need one.
give me a break

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
give me a break
Carle as a 6th/7th dman is quite possible for 09-10. He's got the offensice talent to be a younger version of Breezer, hopefuly minus the defensive blunders.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Lone Rogue

When I brought up Gorges to play on our PP, everyone balked. I guess Breezer is a better option.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
wow...whenever I think we're done with him, he comes right back
just like crabs!

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
When I brought up Gorges to play on our PP, everyone balked. I guess Breezer is a better option.
It's like saying I proposed steak to animal activists and they said no...

Gorges is good, but I don't see how 9 points a season gets you a job on the PP.

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Sign him for 1 year... if we need a second year, we sign him to a second year next off-season.
Not to mention if he retired after this season with a 2 year deal that his salary would count in full against the cap. Hence the reason teams are hesitant in signing players over 35 to multi year deals.

Sergei Kosts can play the point on the PP, so can Kovy if needed.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
Gorges is good, but I don't see how 9 points a season gets you a job on the PP.
The same way Grabovski and Ryder will end up having more points than they had with us....by playing....

Gorges was running the PP in junior so while it's obviously not the same, it's not like we would be using Andrew Archer here.....he could just end up being the setup man of Markov. Time for him to use his slapper. Might not be the strongest but has to be one of the more precise one.

Gorges was never used in that role. So with a PP like ours, he'll start racking his share of points as well....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
There's a little matter of experience that's still lacking on the team as a whole. Stanley Cup winning experience. I think have PB around isn't a bad thing, he's changed my mind about him last year, and we know pretty much what to expect. (Some good plays on the PP, decent 1st pass, plenty of dumb giveaways and soft D-zone play).

Also, he clearly earned his pay in the playoffs, where contracts are truly earned.

I'd wager the 2nd year (if there is one) will be a club option.

The 7th spot is a bad place to stick a kid who's trying to break through, it really is the proper place for a greybeard vet. Brisebois gets the style of play that the team is doing, he can be inserted in when injury strikes, and you know what you're gonna get. Not to mention that *he* knows what to expect and will accept his role, whereas some unknown player may try like mad to get more ice, and be a strange face in the locker room, trying to displace someone else.

I really am more comfortable with someone in that role who's loyalty to the CH is unquestionable, and who's desire to win a Cup in Montreal is undeniable, than a hired gun just hanging on for an NHL paycheque before their inevitable trip to Europe or the AHL.

I hated Patrice at the end of his last stint in the uniform. But he proved his worth last year, in both decent play and in having the guts to come back, let's not dump on him for wanting to be here 2 more years.

Also, he's a better #7 than Dandenault !
Good post. I agree 100%.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
just like crabs!
I have good crabs joke, even though there's no swearing it still might get me warned. But I agree with the Brisebois comparison.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Exactly. Two years makes no sense...

Unless he somehow thinks he earned a two year deal

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Well, this is my point. Why can't we sign a d-man who used to be a 5th defenseman elsewhere ? I don't like the principle of restricting ourselves to compare him to other 7th defensemen only.
Because there simply arent any left out there, having similar attributes. And if there is problem is getting them for reasonable term and pay for a depth guy.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote