HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sundin

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You mean you weren't joking?

You may be in for a long wait then...
The situations are eerily similar actually. There has been no outright denial from Sundin or his North American representation since the Swedish story broke yesterday afternoon. JP Barry has had ample time to go on record, and flat-out deny the information, but he hasn't. Neither has Sundin. All we have is a rather soft denial from his Euro agent. You don't think TSN was all over trying to get a quote from Barry on the story? I sure as heck would be since you'd have a nice piece totally discrediting the rumour, and making the mighty TSN look again like the definitive hockey source world-wide.

Until I see a denial from JP Barry or Mats Sundin on this rumour I can't view it as totally discredited. And they've had the opportunity to go on record already. I can understand Sundin not saying anything as he is on vacation, but Barry has been very vocal throughout the process so I find his silence somewhat interesting.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Pascal

what do you want him to say except "it's not true"? Do you want him to go out and say "no! He's not signing with the Canucks, EVER! Not true at all ok??"

Old
07-20-2008, 02:28 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
The situations are eerily similar actually. There has been no outright denial from Sundin or his North American representation since the Swedish story broke yesterday afternoon. JP Barry has had ample time to go on record, and flat-out deny the information, but he hasn't. Neither has Sundin. All we have is a rather soft denial from his Euro agent. You don't think TSN was all over trying to get a quote from Barry on the story? I sure as heck would be since you'd have a nice piece totally discrediting the rumour, and making the mighty TSN look again like the definitive hockey source world-wide.

Until I see a denial from JP Barry or Mats Sundin on this rumour I can't view it as totally discredited. And they've had the opportunity to go on record already. I can understand Sundin not saying anything as he is on vacation, but Barry has been very vocal throughout the process so I find his silence somewhat interesting.

Dude, you need to give it up.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
hdw

Quote:
There has been no outright denial from Sundin or his North American representation since the Swedish story broke yesterday afternoon. JP Barry has had ample time to go on record, and flat-out deny the information, but he hasn't. Neither has Sundin. All we have is a rather soft denial from his Euro agent.
Erh what?

Sundin doesn't talk with media when he's on vacation, he pays CAA Sports to handle that stuff.

And both Barry and Elefalk work for CAA Sports.

So what we have is Sundin's official legal and business representative stating that rumour is completely bogus.

How can that not be an outright denial?

Old
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
I'd be so incredibly surprised to see a (now former) Captain of the Leafs who went through all those battles against Montreal, turn his back on the Leaf fans that have supported him through out his career and sign with Montreal. I'd be shocked if that were to happen.

Now, I'm not saying that he'll sign with Vancouver, but I'd assume that he'd explore other options out east such as New York or Detroit (prior to them signing Hossa). I just don't see a future hall of famer turning his back and slapping the Leafs faithful in their face and sign with a division rival and hated team among the Leafs nation.

I know he wants to win a cup and blah blah blah, and yes, Montreal definitely is heading in that direction, but think what impact him signing with Montreal would have on his legacy? It'd taint it in my opinion, I think a majority of Leaf nation would agree with me on that. Sundin as a Montreal Canadian would be booed by the Leaf faithful league wide.

However, I want this ongoing soap opera to end, sign with whomever and let the teams that inquired about him and lost out to move on.

***THIS IS NOT A POST BASHING THE MONTREAL CANADIENS ORGANIZATION OR ITS FANS***

Old
07-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 300
I guess now if Sundin actually DOES sign with Vancouver, whether it's tomorrow or late August, people will flock back to this story saying "Told ya so! Knew it all along!"

Old
07-20-2008, 02:44 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I guess now if Sundin actually DOES sign with Vancouver, whether it's tomorrow or late August, people will flock back to this story saying "Told ya so! Knew it all along!"
Haha, you know what would be funny?

If Sundin ended up signing with Toronto. Habs fans and Canucks fans battle it out for about 2 months, while the Leafs fans on the sidelines.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Erh what?

Sundin doesn't talk with media when he's on vacation, he pays CAA Sports to handle that stuff.

And both Barry and Elefalk work for CAA Sports.

So what we have is Sundin's official legal and business representative stating that rumour is completely bogus.

How can that not be an outright denial?
Like I said, I don't expect a personal response from Sundin, but I'm somewhat surprised Barry hasn't gone on record to clarify the situation. He'd be the one responsible for liason work with TSN, and yet he's oddly absent from the North American report on the subject this morning. In fact, the entire Sundin camp has been silent since the rather questionable denial from the Swedish agent. A denial, which a reporter at a very reputable Swedish publication felt was so weak he'd stake his reputation on the article (I believe you are the poster who has repeatedly said the reporter is putting his credibility, and possibly his job on the line with this leak).

Had Barry come out this morning, and stated the report was not true, and discredited it in the TSN article this thread would now be closed (or the links at least identified as false). It remains open because there has been no strong, flat-out statement from the Sundin camp. Barry could easily shoot the entire thing down with a 2 minute phone call from the 9th hole.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post

If Sundin ended up signing with Toronto. Habs fans and Canucks fans battle it out for about 2 months, while the Leafs fans on the sidelines.
or if he decides to in the SEL

Old
07-20-2008, 02:49 PM
MrNasty

Anyone that thinks Sundin won't go to Montreal simply because they are rivals is silly. Gilmour was more loved by Leaf fans and he went to Montreal and still boasts about what a great time he had there. He is not ridiculed for playing for Montreal. The hatred amoung the two teams doesn't usually affect business...and hockey is all about business.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:51 PM
MM425

Quote:
Like I said, I don't expect a personal response from Sundin, but I'm somewhat surprised Barry hasn't gone on record to clarify the situation. He'd be the one responsible for liason work with TSN, and yet he's oddly absent from the North American report on the subject this morning. In fact, the entire Sundin camp has been silent since the rather questionable denial from the Swedish agent. A denial, which a reporter at a very reputable Swedish publication felt was so weak he'd stake his reputation on the article (I believe you are the poster who has repeatedly said the reporter is putting his credibility, and possibly his job on the line with this leak).

Had Barry come out this morning, and stated the report was not true, and discredited it in the TSN article this thread would now be closed. It remains open because there has been no strong, flat-out statement from the Sundin camp. Barry could easily shoot the entire thing down with a 2 minute phone call from the 9th hole.
Did you read the story?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2438...=secStory_main

"Sundin's Swedish based representative Claes Elefalk claims the story in the Daily News is completely false, claiming that reporter Dusan Umicevic contacted him seeking a quote. Despite Elefalk telling the reporter that his information was incorrect, Umicevic published the story anyway."

"The Vancouver offer and the time that Mike (Gillis) has spent with Mats is important," Barry told TSN. "But ultimately Mats has to decide to play and that is the first step here."

Vancouver is still interested. Mats still hasn't decided if he wants to play. Nothing has changed since July 1st.

Lets all take a deep breath and relax.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Barry and Sundin are probably already annoyed enough with having to come out with an official denial every time someone mentions "Sundin" and "Vancouver" in the same breath.

Old
07-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2438...=secStory_main

"Sundin's Swedish based representative Claes Elefalk claims the story in the Daily News is completely false, claiming that reporter Dusan Umicevic contacted him seeking a quote. Despite Elefalk telling the reporter that his information was incorrect, Umicevic published the story anyway.|

"The Vancouver offer and the time that Mike (Gillis) has spent with Mats is important," Barry told TSN. "But ultimately Mats has to decide to play and that is the first step here."

Vancouver is still interested. Mats still hasn't decided if he wants to play. Nothing has changed since July 1st.

Lets all take a deep breath and relax.
You're missing the whole point of what I'm saying. I'm aware of the quote from Elefalk, but that was the quote that has existed since before the story was even published in Sweden. The author of the artice obviously felt the denial was so blatantly weak he would still run with the story anyways, despite the possibility he might take a major knock to his credibility. Since then we've heard nothing from the major players in the Sundin saga. Barry has been extremely vocal through the entire process, constantly clarifying reports on Sundin's status (Mats is fishing, Mats is at a sushi festival...it's like a play-by-play of Sundin's off-season). Where the heck is he now when this major piece of news causes a huge tornado of international media attention? He was pretty quick to shoot down the 'Sundin is in Vancouver' reports, and the TEAM 1040 radio reports out of Vancouver stating Sundin will sign in '7-10 days'. I fully expect him to either go on record later today or tomorrow regarding the false nature of these reports, or else we're looking at a Sundin signing in the next 48 hours.

I don't know how likely this all is, but what I'm saying is the longer we go without a quote from Sundin's major North American representation (Barry), the more I question what the heck is going on.

Last edited by Bobby Lou: 07-20-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old
07-20-2008, 03:03 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
I don't want to turn this into a brodeur thread, so I'll only make one comment on it. Brodeur wins his vezinas on reputation and shouldn't have won the last two. He shouldn't have even been a finalist last year. Nabokov should have won last year and luongo the year before. The trap has made brodeur's entire career.

Nice work, you've removed any and all credibility you might have had here on any hockey matters in just one post!

Old
07-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Barry and Sundin are probably already annoyed enough with having to come out with an official denial every time someone mentions "Sundin" and "Vancouver" in the same breath.
It's okay.

It's only a matter of time until he signs that contract with Vancouver and from then on he wont have to deny it anymore

Old
07-20-2008, 03:05 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:

Now that the Leafs have Finger, I suspect a lot of UFAs will want to go there, just for the chance to play with Finger.

Having Jeff Finger makes them an instant contender in the East.

Damn that Fletcher is crafty.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:06 PM
MM425

Quote:
You're missing the whole point of what I'm saying. I'm aware of the quote from Elefalk, but that was the quote that has existed since before the story was even published in Sweden. The author of the artice obviously felt the denial was so blatantly weak he would still run with the story anyways, despite the possibility he might take a major knock to his credibility. Since then we've heard nothing from the major players in the Sundin saga. Barry has been extremely vocal through the entire process, constantly clarifying reports on Sundin's status. Where the heck is he now when this major piece of news causes a huge tornado of international media attention? He was pretty quick to shoot down the 'Sundin is in Vancouver' reports, and the TEAM 1040 radio reports out of Vancouver stating Sundin will sign in '7-10 days'. I fully expect him to either go on record later today or tomorrow regarding the false nature of these reports, or else we're looking at a Sundin signing in the next 48 hours.

I don't know how likely this all is, but what I'm saying is the longer we go without a quote from Sundin's major North American representation (Barry), the more I question what the heck is going on.
Another quote from Sportsnet:

"I'm not sure on what basis they made their report but there's no truth to it," Sundin's agent J.P. Barry told Sportsnet. "Mats is still trying to make up his mind on whether he wants to play, and we need to decide that before we (pick a team)."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...undin_rumours/

The story they've been saying since early June. If it's one thing Mats and his camp have been, it's consistent.

There is no news. He still doesn't know if he wants to play. Can we calm down with the conspiracy theories and just wait and see?

Old
07-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Another quote from Sportsnet:

"I'm not sure on what basis they made their report but there's no truth to it," Sundin's agent J.P. Barry told Sportsnet. "Mats is still trying to make up his mind on whether he wants to play, and we need to decide that before we (pick a team)."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...undin_rumours/

The story they've been saying since early June. If it's one thing Mats and his camp have been, it's consistent.

There is no news. He still doesn't know if he wants to play. Can we calm down with the conspiracy theories and just wait and see?
Yah, conspiracy theories.

That quote was actually put up all of 30 seconds ago. Just like I predicted you've gotta see that quote from Barry or else it's just speculation. That was the quote I was looking for, but it was just put up.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:09 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Now that the Leafs have Finger, I suspect a lot of UFAs will want to go there, just for the chance to play with Finger.

Having Jeff Finger makes them an instant contender in the East.

Damn that Fletcher is crafty.
Yeah, I am totally expect a 13 year Torontonian to finally realize that Toronto will never compete for a cup, in his final years of NHL services. And a captain on that as well. You know, I am totally expecting him to sign with a NHL career long rival, even if Peter Forsberg personally says he would never sign with his rival the Detroit Red Wings.

Totally dude.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Anyone that thinks Sundin won't go to Montreal simply because they are rivals is silly. Gilmour was more loved by Leaf fans and he went to Montreal and still boasts about what a great time he had there. He is not ridiculed for playing for Montreal. The hatred amoung the two teams doesn't usually affect business...and hockey is all about business.
I agree with this, but I don't think your example is a good one IMHO. Gilmour played for THREE other teams before playing with the Habs after leaving the Leafs the 1st time.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
windflare

http://insidehockey.com/columns/1881

Quote:
Is Sundin Vancouver Bound?
by Farhan Devji

Late Saturday night, a story written by Dusan Umicevic – sports reporter of the leading Swedish daily morning newspaper, Dagens Nyheter (DN) – broke that Mats Sundin has indeed decided to accept Vancouver’s two year, $20 million offer.

The story suggests that J.P. Barry – Sundin’s North American agent – declined to negotiate with the KHL (new Russian league) on the grounds that the long time Maple Leaf is set on joining the Vancouver Canucks.

Claes Elefalk – Sundin’s Swedish based agent - was interviewed by the Swedish daily and acknowledged that he talked to the Canucks on Friday. Elefalk believes Vancouver was one of the front runners, but wasn’t aware of the new developments.

When contacted, the author of the piece, Dusan Umicevic, refused to reveal his source but suggested that “this man has never been wrong before.” Umicevic also admitted that he’s “built [his] whole career upon this person.”

Just like the entire Vancouver Canucks organization and all of its supporters, Umicevic is hoping that his source won’t fail him now.

“Sure, this could be his first [blemish], but I hope not, because my reputation lies on this,” said Umicevic. “But I think [Mats] will speak soon. I think Vancouver is the right team for him.”

Television stations in Sweden are reporting that Sundin will join the Canucks, but none of the leading hockey news sites – in Sweden or North America - have picked up on the story as of yet.

Another source stated that judging solely on the reliability of the newspaper in which the story was published, he is convinced that Sundin will be a Canuck in the near future.

UPDATE: I can now also confirm that the author’s source is indeed one close to the the Kontinental Hockey League (new elite Russian league). The source has correctly predicted several signings including Jaromir Jagr to Avangard Omsk, Nils Ekman to Khimik, Andreas Johansson to SKA Saint Petersburg, and Mika Hannula to HC CSKA Moscow.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
HabsoluteFate

finally a canucks side of thingsthat makes sense:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...er_connection/

Old
07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Garo

Quote:
You know, I am totally expecting him to sign with a NHL career long rival, even if Peter Forsberg personally says he would never sign with his rival the Detroit Red Wings.

Totally dude.
Forsberg had many battles in the playoffs against Detroit, that was why it was such a huge rivalry and I understand his position very well.

But the only time Sundin played against Montréal in the playoffs was with the Nordiques jersey on. These situations don't really compare.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
hdw

Quote:
Sundin's North American representation is CAA Sports, not Barry.

Barry and Elefalk are just two employees of that company.

And CAA Sports, speaking for Sundin, has stated repeatedly that the story has no foundation, and that Sundin hasn't even told them yet if he wants to play next season, much less where.

As to why the journalist decided to publish the rumour despite denial from CAA Sports (and even editing their answer to suit his story) remains a mystery.

My guess is that he saw his chance to break a big story while many of the regulars at the paper was on vacation.

Old
07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kboi View Post
This is kind of fans that shames their fan base by not respecting other teams.
ha i say this bc, i come here and read what you fans are sayin.. its un real.. blows my mind actally lol.. and i know its gunna bug ya.. and it did ha

i said it once ill say it again .. the habs have a better tean than the canucks.. hands down ... get ur heads out of ur ass... and ****ing realize that .. its alright for everyone to diss the habs, call out all thier fans .. but in reality.. the habs have a better shot at the cup than the canucks..

habs > canucks
habs sundin > canucks
habs = sundin canucks

Closed Thread