HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

IIHF broker peace deal between NHL, KHL; 2012 World Cup

Old
09-06-2008, 02:18 PM
HAPPY HOUR

vCash: 500
KHL to allow arbitrator to rule on Radulov situation..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2486...=headlines_nhl

Wow. KHL looks to be extending a HUGE olive branch here. We'll see.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:08 PM
God
Free Citizen

Interesting. I wonder what'll happen if the arbitrator rules in favour of the NHL and Radulov is not allowed to play in the KHL.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Juneemoon

...and the NHL says they're not interested....

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../80906019/1028

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly was pleased with the resolution of the five other cases, but was infuriated with the IIHF’s decision in regard to Radulov.

"I'm appalled at the IIHF's inaction with respect to Radulov,’’ Daly said by e-mail. "His contractual status could not be more clear, yet they refused to confirm it, nor take any action to remedy the situation.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 06:26 PM
AStammer7*

The NHL for Years have taken advantage of the European leagues and clubs. They have sipphoned off their best talent and then to add insult to injury, the NHL gives them some pathetic sum of $200,000 for every Star they steal...All that happened with the Radulov signing was that he went to a employer that paid him more for his services...the NHL has had there way for far too long. They will have to look for another stream of cheap labor...perhaps the US college ranks...oh ya the NHL doesn't have to pay any compensation to college teams what-so-ever...And Bill Daly that smart guy that wanted to break the Union has been upto his eyeballs with crap for awhile now...way to go Bill...

Last edited by Fugu: 09-06-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: offensive
AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
The NHL for Years have taken advantage of the European leagues and clubs. They have sipphoned off their best talent and then to add insult to injury, the NHL gives them some pathetic sum of $200,000 for every Star they steal...All that happened with the Radulov signing was that he went to a employer that paid him more for his services...the NHL has had there way for far too long. They will have to look for another stream of cheap labor...perhaps the US college ranks...oh ya the NHL doesn't have to pay any compensation to college teams what-so-ever...And Bill Daly that smart guy that wanted to break the Union has been upto his eyeballs with crap for awhile now...way to go Bill...
What's the point of arbitration here anyway? The NHL in all likelyhood doesn't want him back, and he wouldn't want to go back.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Juneemoon

Maybe the KHL knew the NHL wouldn't take them up on their offer, that's why they made it....looks like they may have gotten what they wanted anyway....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...HLKHL-war.html

As a result, Radulov will no longer be suspended from IIHF competition, which means he will be able to participate in the lucrative, IIHF-sponsored Champions League in Europe until his case is decided.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 11:58 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStammer7 View Post
Steal? It sounds like you are talking about property.

Were there slave ships too?

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:37 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Radulov situation updates:

IIHF head Fassell admits Radulov broke contract, but IIHF has no authority to prevent it.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-his-contract/

Quote:
September 11, 2008, 2:57 am
I.I.H.F. President: “Radulov Broke His Contract”

By Stu Hackel

IIHF President Rene Fasel gave an extensive interview to Pavel Strizhevsky of Sport-Express, the Russian newspaper, in their Wednesday edition in which he acknowledged that Nashville Predators forward Alexander Radulov acted improperly in signing a deal with Salavat Yulaev Ufa of the KHL while he had a year remaining on his NHL contract.
Fasel, not surprisingly, thinks differently from Daly, and he did not duck the issue. “I have no reasons not to speak about the actions of Radulov in public,” he said. “The player is not right. He has broken his contract, and if we start considering such behavior as normal we will end up with chaos and mess. That is why the first thing that the NHL, KHL and IIHF should do is to come to a mutual agreement. So that the players know that breaking the contract they will face certain problems.”

The reason the IIHF did not insist he return, Fasel says, is the absence of a transfer agreement. “In the case of Radulov, the problem was that he did not have to get a transfer card to return to Russia, as NHL is not a part of the international federation system.

“So without a transfer contract we [the IIHF] have no legal foundations to forbid Radulov to play for Salavat…. So my goal was to find a solution that would satisfy Radulov, Nashville and Ufa. And the Russian side, in my opinion, made every effort to help.

“You say Bill Daly accuses me of a lack of courage? The easiest thing to do is make a decision allowing or prohibiting Radulov from playing. The trouble is that this will not solve the problem. It can only be solved at the negotiating table.”
NHLPA head Paul Kelly says Radulov wants to return to the NHL

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,107077

Quote:
From Kelly on the Watters show, regarding whether the Radulov situation will be resolved before reaching court:

"My information is that the player very much wants to return and play in the NHL. I have that on extremely good authority. He's tried the KHL. He's seen what it has to offer for a few games already. He was quite successful last year for the Nashville Predators. I think, long-term, Alexander wants to play in the NHL. I believe there is an outcome which is doable, which will involve some type of an agreement between the NHL, the KHL, the player himself and the Predators."

Even after the KHL named him rookie of the week!

The entire interview segment regarding the KHL is rather revealing, especially the parts involving Radulov. There's even some reason to believe that the NHLPA may not, in fact, be a passive cheerleader for the Russian league's attempts to sign away players from the NHL.

Here's Kelly again:

"We strongly encourage our players that if you make a commitment, if you sign a contract, you ought to abide by the contract. You ought see it through. We will never encourage guys to breach contracts. We have spoken to the player, we have spoken to the agent. This is a fairly unique set of circumstances. This is a very young guy, who has decided to return home for some reasons which were public and some reasons which were personal. This isn't a guy who just breached a contract in any kind of a dismissive way. There are factors that haven't been publically reported.

"Unfortunately, he has become the center of a storm, between the National Hockey League and the KHL and on the international scene. There are consequences and ramifications which will flow from the Radulov situation, which potentially could affect the participation of NHL players in international events. I don't think he ever wanted to place himself in the middle of this tempest, but he's in it. We are trying to assist both the player and the agent to see if we can't find a way out of it, frankly.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
kdb, since Radulov was not plaing in Russia because the Predators loaned him there, I wonder if 13.23 should apply if he comes back this season after playing a regular-season game in the KHL.

Granted, I don't think the NHL applies it if it's supposed to apply in this situation ... but just curious on your take.

09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
kdb, since Radulov was not plaing in Russia because the Predators loaned him there, I wonder if 13.23 should apply if he comes back this season after playing a regular-season game in the KHL.

Granted, I don't think the NHL applies it if it's supposed to apply in this situation ... but just curious on your take.
I think it's pretty clear that Article 13.23 would apply if Radulov played a KHL game after the start of the regular season. The only question is when is "the start of the NHL Regular Season" - the Oct 4 Rags/Bolts opener in Prague or the Oct 9 start for everyone else.

Radulov is definitely NOT "on Loan from his Club" - so the "other than" clause does not apply, so 13.23 is pretty clear: "In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, ... ,he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers".

So unless there is something that league can pull out of the League Rules (bylaws, league rulings a la Yashin, etc) to try to cover this situation, 13.23 would be in effect - and even then the explicit wording in the CBA should/would take precedence over any League Rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 13.23
13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside
North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his
Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs)
only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers.
For the balance of the
Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or
Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Old
09-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
I think it's pretty clear that Article 13.23 would apply if Radulov played a KHL game after the start of the regular season. The only question is when is "the start of the NHL Regular Season" - the Oct 4 Rags/Bolts opener in Prague or the Oct 9 start for everyone else.

Radulov is definitely NOT "on Loan from his Club" - so the "other than" clause does not apply, so 13.23 is pretty clear: "In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, ... ,he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers".

So unless there is something that league can pull out of the League Rules (bylaws, league rulings a la Yashin, etc) to try to cover this situation, 13.23 would be in effect - and even then the explicit wording in the CBA should/would take precedence over any League Rules.
Edumacate me here- so would that mean that if Rad went back to the NHL, he'd effectively be put on waivers and have to clear, the Preds wouldn't necessarily get first crack at him? Or am I missing something? Guess I'm confused because he's been suspended by Preds, but 1 year left on his contract from what I can see.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 02:43 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Edumacate me here- so would that mean that if Rad went back to the NHL, he'd effectively be put on waivers and have to clear, the Preds wouldn't necessarily get first crack at him? Or am I missing something? Guess I'm confused because he's been suspended by Preds, but 1 year left on his contract from what I can see.
Unless the league can come up with some argument why 13.23 would not hold - then yes, if Rads played in a KHL game after Oct 4th (or 9th, depending how the leauge defines "he start of the NHL Regular Season" w.r.t. the games in Prague), then he would have to clear waivers in order to be eligible to play in the NHL this season. And no, the Preds would NOT have any special waiver priority - if he returned before Nov 1, priority would be based on last seasons standings, otherwise it would be based on the current season's (determined on a %-age of possible points earned, to account for differences in games played).

Old
09-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Unless the league can come up with some argument why 13.23 would not hold - then yes, if Rads played in a KHL game after Oct 4th (or 9th, depending how the leauge defines "he start of the NHL Regular Season" w.r.t. the games in Prague), then he would have to clear waivers in order to be eligible to play in the NHL this season. And no, the Preds would NOT have any special waiver priority - if he returned before Nov 1, priority would be based on last seasons standings, otherwise it would be based on the current season's (determined on a %-age of possible points earned, to account for differences in games played).
I suspected that as I read it in the thread, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Old
09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
As we've seen in the past, this CBA can be amended on the fly (eg. allowing ELS players to sign extensions in the final year of their contract). Since both parties to the CBA would want Radulov to be allowed to play in the NHL this season it's possible they could agree on an exemption.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2008, 01:28 PM
KeanuReeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
As we've seen in the past, this CBA can be amended on the fly (eg. allowing ELS players to sign extensions in the final year of their contract). Since both parties to the CBA would want Radulov to be allowed to play in the NHL this season it's possible they could agree on an exemption.
yea thats what I think too... if both parties want Radulov to finish out his contract in Nashville, which it appears they do, then they should be able to come to an agreement that acts as a one-time exemption from the rule. They have to be careful not to set a precedent though as I don't think they'll want this to happen again.

KeanuReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2008, 06:58 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Yet Another IIHF / Radulov Update:

Fasel: Yes, he breached his contract. No, we can't/won't do anything about it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251349
Quote:
IIHF finds Radulov in breach of contract with Predators
TSN.ca Staff
10/1/2008 4:03:16 PM

The saga of Alexander Radulov continues across international lines.

The International Ice Hockey Federation has found Alexander Radulov to be in breach of his contract with the Nashville Predators but he will not be suspended.
In a statement released on Wednesday, the IIHF clarified their position in the matter.

"The IIHF does not support breach of valid and binding agreements. However, the current IIHF statutes and bylaws – as well the absence of an agreement regarding respect of valid contracts between the IIHF and NHL – does not give the IIHF legal base to sanction the player from professional domestic hockey."

Old
10-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Yet Another IIHF / Radulov Update:

Fasel: Yes, he breached his contract. No, we can't/won't do anything about it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251349
So, now what? I understand he has a 3 contract with the K. I also understand he's said he wants to come back to the NHL. Does he fill out his 3 years with the K, or does he come back after one(breaching another contract)? I don't see the Preds wanting him around, and I expect they're going to try and dish off his right to somebody.