HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Radulov to Russia

Old
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
morsy

vCash: 500
As sad as it is to lose a player with his potential, I'm sure the Preds are better off without a guy with a personality like this.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to play in your home country, but I think Rads would have signed in Zulu if they had offered him the most cash.

morsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:07 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Radulov could have gotten 6 Million a year with the Preds.
I see no reason why we woulnd't give it to him if he continued to perform like he has.

But I guess he just didn't have the patience to wait and get that sweetheart deal from the Predators.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
fashi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
With a really good season and with the continued inflation of players salaries, it could have easily happened.
Caps fan here. I don't wish injury on most, but this guy deserves an injury, then he will see that in Russia, you don't get paid full amount if you get hurt. I am really sorry for you guys, Radulov is a sick talent, but obviously very selfish.

fashi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:14 PM
dem

I feel bad for the Preds and their fans.. but if Im Radulov i take the money too. 24 million(?? I'm hearing a lot of different numbers) is a LOT of money. In 3 years his family will be set for life. Can't fault a man for looking out for himself and his family.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
braindead

I DON'T think the Preds would give him $6M at the end of this upcoming season. If that is the offer, we almost certainly are losing only 1 year of Rads and the chance that some nhl team would give him that amount and use an offer sheet or a trade to get him. As it stands, that isn't money that the Preds would spend on him IMO. I think they would top out at $5Mish.

If this is a ploy and Rads wants to stay, I think they could add more years to make up for it. What do we do if he comes back and has to ride out one year before he can leave? I think we spend the year having Tootoo, Nichols, Weber, Gratton, Grant, etc. "teach" him how to fight in practice.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Either the Preds knock him over with an offer or this is over very quickly.

I am, of course, curious what the terms are with Ufa, not only with respect to amount but the length of the deal.

It's not a matter for a foreign court (for either side), that will be no help. If Nashville wants to keep him, they overwhelm him with a big deal. If it's like he says and they didn't get back to him, eh, then he splits.

I wouldn't be thrilled about a guy using his leverage like this, I'd probably let him walk even though he is a pretty nifty little player.

07-11-2008, 03:26 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
the problem is that you cant pay a guy who has 6 million dollar potential. He needs to earn it.

Let him walk.

[let's see...that's shock, and then anger, which stage of denial have I made it to now?]

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothWithTheBiscuit View Post
Either the Preds knock him over with an offer or this is over very quickly.

I am, of course, curious what the terms are with Ufa, not only with respect to amount but the length of the deal.

It's not a matter for a foreign court (for either side), that will be no help. If Nashville wants to keep him, they overwhelm him with a big deal. If it's like he says and they didn't get back to him, eh, then he splits.

I wouldn't be thrilled about a guy using his leverage like this, I'd probably let him walk even though he is a pretty nifty little player.
I think it's a three year deal.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
new titanasseean article

Quote:
The agent for Alexander Radulov has confirmed that the Predators forward has signed a deal with Salavat Ufa of the Continental Hockey League (KHL) and does not plan to return to Nashville for the 2008-2009 season.

Jay Grossman, who represents Radulov in North America, said the contract is a three-year deal worth approximately $23-24 million U.S. dollars.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Did we every get a ruling on if management could extend his deal? I know they have to wait until the last year of the contract for an extension but is July 1 the magical date? Or is it sometime during the season?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
According to this

How staggering? The three-year deal is worth a total of $13 million tax-free. With a tax rate of about 35 per cent in Tennessee, that means the deal is actually worth almost $18 million, which means Radulov will make the equivalent of $6 million a season if the deal is not quashed by the KHL. If he plays in Nashville this season, Radulov will make $984,000 before performance bonuses on the last year of his three-year entry-level contract.

see-ya *******.
35% tax in Tennessee? No. There is no income tax in Tennessee. The article should read the 35% tax in the USA. Nice bit of sly reporting though.

Anyways, he was my favorite player... now he sits alongside my old favrite player: Paul Kariya... who left to go play on a competitive team. I dislike both of them in my minds...

Two years in a row I buy a jersey only for the player to leave. I definitely will not be buying a Weber jersey anytime soon... maybe a Bonk or deVries one...

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement regarding reports that Alexander Radulov has signed a contract to play in Russia...

"Alex is under contract with the Nashville Predators through the 2008-09 season. We are looking forward to him being here for training camp and being a part of this franchise's success for years to come."

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daley issued the following statement in response to questions regarding the Alexander Radulov reports...

"It is our understanding, based on the representations made both at our meeting yesterday, but also at an earlier meeting with Mr. Medvedev in May, that the Russian League will not allow a player to play in violation of his contractual obligations in the NHL."

http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=368251

Not much value there other than to tell you the NHL intends to fight this.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Dima_BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen25 View Post
How can we get on this guy when the NHL has benefited from foreign players doing the same to their home squads for years?
+1
The NHL has been sucking european blood for decades getting best euro players for nothing, not allowing them to participate in such tournaments as olympic games and world championships.

Dima_BLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:11 PM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

The difference is that those players were either unsigned or had out clauses in their contracts. Oh and don't the forget the ability to give a notice to leave that Malkin used.

Radulov is under contract and has no out clause.

Old
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
isleskovalchuk

ahhh i just wanna no what the **** is actually going on!

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Did we every get a ruling on if management could extend his deal? I know they have to wait until the last year of the contract for an extension but is July 1 the magical date? Or is it sometime during the season?
Someone earlier said the Preds couldn't negociate a deal until July 1. If that is true, and Rads already has a deal with Russia, then how long has he been working on this deal? Surely he had to know about the time he could work on a new deal and if he didn't know then he's got some bad people representing him telling him the Preds didn't want him back.

Old
07-11-2008, 04:45 PM
OpenWheel

I'd like to know how much money and how many years he's getting, if it holds up.

Most of the numbers I see tossed about, I don't blame him. Go home and grab the money now rather than risk injury and never getting a nice payday.

Stinks for my favorite team though.

The only good I can see for the Preds is that Poile can no longer just sit tight. May as well start a few buyouts and get the young forward prospects on the team. Without Rads the chances of the playoff look a lot dimmer anyway.

When I saw the thread title I was wondering what the punchline was. But when I saw the thread had a bunch of responses my heart sank.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I'd like to know how much money and how many years he's getting, if it holds up.

Most of the numbers I see tossed about, I don't blame him. Go home and grab the money now rather than risk injury and never getting a nice payday.

Stinks for my favorite team though.

The only good I can see for the Preds is that Poile can no longer just sit tight. May as well start a few buyouts and get the young forward prospects on the team. Without Rads the chances of the playoff look a lot dimmer anyway.

When I saw the thread title I was wondering what the punchline was. But when I saw the thread had a bunch of responses my heart sank.
3 years 6 mil per

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
35% tax in Tennessee? No. There is no income tax in Tennessee. The article should read the 35% tax in the USA. Nice bit of sly reporting though.
He might get hit by the Hall tax for investments but 35% looks close for an effective federal rate that would apply anywhere in the US. Other than Texas, Florida and maybe a few others that are equivalent, the TN tax rate (no income tax) should be a major competitive advantage to draw to major league players.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Not 6 per, 6 per "equivalent". That's on the low end of what I thought he'd bail for. But it depends how they handle their contracts as far as guarantees. If most of it's gauranteed, then again, I'd split and grab the money also, if I were him.

Heck, if even one full year was solid, I don't blame him. He's set now. His money will go further over there too.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Eklund was on 1045 and said he talked to the agent and the agent told him 23M

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
A better translation of a couple of the highlights:

Source: http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?162420

The contract was signed yesterday, apparently.
Wow, I was hanging around the boards, I read something about Russian leagues taking good players such as Emery, Jagr and ''Radulov'' so I was like ''what the hell is the OP talking about!?'' Alexander Radulov is still in Nashville, then I thought ''Oh, he must be talking about another Radulov'' then to be sure I came on your board and I was shocked to learn it was the golden child Alexander Radulov.

We were scared at Montreal because rumors were going around that a russian team had offered a big contract to Andrei Kostitsyn, everyone was scared to lose him, but he signed and that was probably the best thing that happened to Montreal this summer. I noticed, both players seems somewhat similar.

Radulov:

22years old

6'1''

190lbs

81games/ 26 goals-32 assists-58pts

15th overall

Kostitsyn:

23years old

6'

205lbs

78games/ 26 goals-27 assists-53pts

10th overall

Both have a lethal wristshot if I'm not mistaken, they have a good shot at being elite forwards in the league, they're young they're fast and highly skilled. I would give the physical edge to Andrei and I think Radulov has a bit more potential has he putted up better numbers at a younger age along with playing in a weaker team.

That said, I feel terribly sorry for you guys, we thought we'd lose Andrei and we were almost dying at this thought, you guys just lost your most promising forward if not your most promising player. I don't know what to say about this. I can just hope you guys draft well in the future and I hope he'll be back, I always liked the Predators as a team, even if I don't get to see them play much.

Good luck for 08/09 cheers from a Habs fan. Go Preds Go!

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:31 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima_BLR View Post
+1
The NHL has been sucking european blood for decades getting best euro players for nothing, not allowing them to participate in such tournaments as olympic games and world championships.
And now those days are over. It'll be interesting to see how long the viability of the NHL draft and salary cap can withstand a deep-pocketed rival.

The NHL's had monopoly power over hockey at the club level since the 1920's (not including the WHA years) and those days are quickly coming to an end. I can foresee a transfer system comparable to soccer in the future, where players out of contract can move freely around the world. At the very least, the NHL's poaching of European players will soon be over.

And in spite of what I just said, there's no way Radulov shouldn't be forced to finish out 2008-09 with Nashville. He's under contract and the Preds didn't consent to a transfer. At the end of 08-09 he can leave on a free transfer and sign for megabucks wherever he wants.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 07:09 PM
DoctorDoak

From reading that article, Grossman at the very least should have repercussions for counseling his client during a negotiation that contravenes a contract negotiated in good faith. I'm pretty sure that constitutes something akin to tampering, bargaining in bad faith, or something else illegal. If the NHL wants to have any credibility on the issue of contracts, they need to ensure that every legal avenue is pursued to ensure that contracts are honoured.

Speaking as a fan of the Sens who forced Yashin to sit out an entire year over a desire to renegotiate a contract for more money, I'm not unfamiliar with some of the emotions you guys are going through as fans. But this kind of situation is probably not going to be exceptional for much longer - Burke is wrong to say Lowe is driving up the price for players, it's going to be big fish from other leagues snagging talented players who haven't quite paid their dues yet by NHL standards.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 07:22 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
Wow, I was hanging around the boards, I read something about Russian leagues taking good players such as Emery, Jagr and ''Radulov'' so I was like ''what the hell is the OP talking about!?'' Alexander Radulov is still in Nashville, then I thought ''Oh, he must be talking about another Radulov'' then to be sure I came on your board and I was shocked to learn it was the golden child Alexander Radulov.

We were scared at Montreal because rumors were going around that a russian team had offered a big contract to Andrei Kostitsyn, everyone was scared to lose him, but he signed and that was probably the best thing that happened to Montreal this summer. I noticed, both players seems somewhat similar.

Radulov:

22years old

6'1''

190lbs

81games/ 26 goals-32 assists-58pts

15th overall

Kostitsyn:

23years old

6'

205lbs

78games/ 26 goals-27 assists-53pts

10th overall

Both have a lethal wristshot if I'm not mistaken, they have a good shot at being elite forwards in the league, they're young they're fast and highly skilled. I would give the physical edge to Andrei and I think Radulov has a bit more potential has he putted up better numbers at a younger age along with playing in a weaker team.

That said, I feel terribly sorry for you guys, we thought we'd lose Andrei and we were almost dying at this thought, you guys just lost your most promising forward if not your most promising player. I don't know what to say about this. I can just hope you guys draft well in the future and I hope he'll be back, I always liked the Predators as a team, even if I don't get to see them play much.

Good luck for 08/09 cheers from a Habs fan. Go Preds Go!
No their not, Andrei Kostitsyn is a potential 1st line forward, while Radulov is one of those players, that can put the entire offense on himself, and create it by himself as well. He is a future franchise forward. Many scouts that I have read have said he is a future rocket richard contender.

I feel very sorry for you Preds fans, but you have to remember, defense wins you championships, and you have a great defense coming up:

Weber - Suter
Franson - Hamhuis
Klein - Blum

Thats fantastic.

You also drafted one of my favorite forwards in the 2008 draft, in Colin Wilson. He is a future top line centre, a la Rod Brind'Amor. With a better owner who is willing to spend more money, you guys are going to be stanley cup contenders in no time.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote