HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dawes

Old
07-11-2008, 11:31 PM
mmmjays

vCash: 500
Dawes

where does he play this year? what do you think his production will be like this year?

mmmjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:34 PM
McMonster

i think it will be 15-20 goals... possibly more

He has a great shot... very sneaky shot and hard for goalies to read coming off of his blade

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:35 PM
MSG the place to be*

msg and other nhl arenas

good

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:49 PM
FLYLine24*

If he is put on the 2nd line, he should score 20-25 goals this season. His whole career in any league he has gotten better with every season, I have no doubt this will continue in the NHL. More confidence will equal more goals for Dawes, and hes not really a streak player, he is usually consistent, so we shall see.

If hes on the 3rd line, I expect him to put up about the same point totals. He should get some more PP time this season though which will only help.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think it depends on who his center is. I HATE him with Drury, i just dont like the way they play together. I love the way he plays with Gomez though. Dawes Gomez Zherdev could be a sickeningly good line, but also very easy to obliterate with hitting.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:06 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think it depends on who his center is. I HATE him with Drury, i just dont like the way they play together. I love the way he plays with Gomez though. Dawes Gomez Zherdev could be a sickeningly good line, but also very easy to obliterate with hitting.
Agree with you, not much a fan when he plays with Drury at all, but with Gomez...they just have some good chemistry. Dawes is good at getting open and getting off the quick shot, Gomez is good at bringing the puck in and finding the open man quick and making a good pass....they are a good match for each other.

Unfortunately though (for good or bad really)....it will be Nazzy on the left wing with Gomez I have to assume, he would be able to put up better numbers then Dawes.

Old
07-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I see Dawes playing on the first line with Gomez or being traded. He's proven that he can be effective at the NHL level, I don't think they'll waste him on the 3rd line or send him back to Hartford. I also think he'll be fighting for that 1st line wing spot with Prucha. Either that or they'll both be packaged and dealt for a proven top-six sniper that can be fit under the cap.

Gomez and Zherdev will be tried, but I don't think they're going to mesh as well as everyone thinks.

Dawes/Prucha/Trade - Gomez - Naslund
Drury - Dubinsky - Zherdev

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:13 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I see Dawes playing on the first line with Gomez or being traded. He's proven that he can be effective at the NHL level, I don't think they'll waste him on the 3rd line or send him back to Hartford. I also think he'll be fighting for that 1st line wing spot with Prucha. Either that or they'll both be packaged and dealt for a proven top-six sniper that can be fit under the cap.

Gomez and Zherdev will be tried, but I don't think they're going to mesh as well as everyone thinks.

If they trade Dawes I will be royally pissed off. He will be a good NHLer, a top 6 guy every team will want. Get rid of Prucha already Slats so we cant stop trying to compare the two. Dawes is nothing like Prucha at all. Dawes has been a top player in every league hes every played in, Prucha was an average player at best in every league hes played in, had one fluke NHL season and people jumped on him like he was an amazing sniper at the NHL...which he is not.

Hasnt Nazzy played mostly LW? How successful was he at RW? I always think of him as a LWer...?

Old
07-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Unk

I'd like to keep Dawes w/ Gomez at this point too. I think its best to keep at least one of the team's snipers as being a sniper, and not making him become a playmaker just because he shows he can. If he develops that part of his game, that's great later down the line, but let him place to his strength.

Anyway, I don't see why the hate on Prucha. He got little ice-time last season, and though he's not as offensively complete as Dawes, because he requires a set-up man to be any effective, I still think, especially w/ only 3 (or 4, if Drury is moved to wing, but unlikely) top-6 wingers, he'll have another chance, and w/ Shanahan gone maybe that extra ice-time will benefit him. There were points last season where he was looking good but the puck would always bounce the wrong way, and I'd imagine being benched so long made him rusty. I do think though that it's a do or die season for him.

I'm guessing we might see something like this:

Dawes-Gomez-Naslund/Prucha
Prucha/Naslund-Drury-Zherdev

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
If they trade Dawes I will be royally pissed off. He will be a good NHLer, a top 6 guy every team will want. Get rid of Prucha already Slats so we cant stop trying to compare the two. Dawes is nothing like Prucha at all. Dawes has been a top player in every league hes every played in, Prucha was an average player at best in every league hes played in, had one fluke NHL season and people jumped on him like he was an amazing sniper at the NHL...which he is not.

Hasnt Nazzy played mostly LW? How successful was he at RW? I always think of him as a LWer...?
I'm not advocating trading Dawes, just making an observation. I think Prucha is better than people give him credit for. 30 goals isn't a 'fluke' by my standards. If people attribute his success to Jagr, then you have to do the same with Dubinsky. I don't think either of them are solely reliant on Jagr for performance, but you have to acknowledge that Prucha has seen less and less ice time, PP time to be specific, since the arrival of Shanny.

Naslund has played LW and RW, but I believe he is a natural LW that plays the right side on the PP. I think he'll be kept on the LW, I was just assembling players, not so much specific positions.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
I'm not advocating trading Dawes, just making an observation. I think Prucha is better than people give him credit for. 30 goals isn't a 'fluke' by my standards. If people attribute his success to Jagr, then you have to do the same with Dubinsky. I don't think either of them are solely reliant on Jagr for performance, but you have to acknowledge that Prucha has seen less and less ice time, PP time to be specific, since the arrival of Shanny.

Naslund has played LW and RW, but I believe he is a natural LW that plays the right side on the PP. I think he'll be kept on the LW, I was just assembling players, not so much specific positions.
Not at all. Dubinsky and Prucha are again, totally different players.

Dubi can do things on his own, he is not going to get layed out every game because he is too small and cannot avoid or take a hit.

Old
07-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Harrison Ford

i have a question about dawes. He is a RFA and i think he is definitely going to be on the rangers this year but i just wanted to know, what if a team doesnt sign an RFA. on NHL Network it says he is unsigned. So i just wanted to know what happens to him if the Rangers dont sign him (which i doubt will happen)?

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4check View Post
i have a question about dawes. He is a RFA and i think he is definitely going to be on the rangers this year but i just wanted to know, what if a team doesnt sign an RFA. on NHL Network it says he is unsigned. So i just wanted to know what happens to him if the Rangers dont sign him (which i doubt will happen)?
The Rangers still hold his rights in North America, so if Dawes wanted to play he would have to sign in Europe. But, I seriously doubt that Dawes will not re-sign with the Rangers.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The Rangers still hold his rights in North America, so if Dawes wanted to play he would have to sign in Europe. But, I seriously doubt that Dawes will not re-sign with the Rangers.
do you know how long they would hold his rights for?

i seriously doubt that dawes will not re-sign too.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Well, considering he scored 14 goals in 61 games as a rookie logging under 13 minutes of ice-time, I think it's safe to say he'll hit 15 no matter where he plays. If he's in the top 6, 20-25 is a safe estimate. More? Possibly but I'd be careful not to overrate a guy who's only in his second season.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:21 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

That's pretty much how I see it. I think Dawes has 2nd line talent, with the ability to consistently put up 20-25 goals a year. But, I'm not a big fan, and would prefer a more well-rounded player in the top six.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Ovens

Quote:
If he is put on the 2nd line, he should score 20-25 goals this season. His whole career in any league he has gotten better with every season, I have no doubt this will continue in the NHL. More confidence will equal more goals for Dawes, and hes not really a streak player, he is usually consistent, so we shall see.

If hes on the 3rd line, I expect him to put up about the same point totals. He should get some more PP time this season though which will only help.
Did'nt Prucha get 22 goals playing that exact role the year after his fluke year?

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Fletch

Dawes has finishing ability...

and he's really not that easy to knock off a puck and could only get stronger (his lower body that is). He can score from his knees, from anywhere, and he's not afraid to get in close. He doesn't have top line talent, as he's not the best puckhandler in the world, but he's got a nose for the net and good hands around the net. It's tough to say who he plays with, assuming he's here, since the top two lines don't have 6 top six forwards just yet, or at least I don't see who the 6th forward is just yet, so that person may fit onto Gomez's of Drury's left better (or it may be Drury, an idea I'm still not a fan of).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and he's really not that easy to knock off a puck and could only get stronger (his lower body that is). He can score from his knees, from anywhere, and he's not afraid to get in close. He doesn't have top line talent, as he's not the best puckhandler in the world, but he's got a nose for the net and good hands around the net. It's tough to say who he plays with, assuming he's here, since the top two lines don't have 6 top six forwards just yet, or at least I don't see who the 6th forward is just yet, so that person may fit onto Gomez's of Drury's left better (or it may be Drury, an idea I'm still not a fan of).
I remember when he was in the W, people were debating whether or not he had the best hands in the CHL.

I thought he moved the puck pretty well.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinho View Post
Well, considering he scored 14 goals in 61 games as a rookie logging under 13 minutes of ice-time, I think it's safe to say he'll hit 15 no matter where he plays. If he's in the top 6, 20-25 is a safe estimate. More? Possibly but I'd be careful not to overrate a guy who's only in his second season.
Bingo, he should hit 15 easily if he's getting top 6 icetime. I wouldn't expect 30 or something, though.

I also like him with Gomez...but ideally he'd have to switch to RW to play on the line I like w/ Gomez and Naslund. Leave Drury to play with Zherdev

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
How successful was he at RW??
a lot worse than at lw

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:04 AM
NYR Viper

25-30 goals.....60-65 points....thats reasonable for a player at his age, in his second year getting second line EV time and a good amount of PP time.......if a top 6 forward cant get 60 points next season the rangers wil not be in a good position as they dont have a superstar to take over games, so they will need contributions from everyone

Last edited by NYR Viper: 07-12-2008 at 10:10 AM.
NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Vitto79

Quote:

I agree he will put up alot of goals if given 2nd line status............20 atleast

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Larry Melnyk

Right now, 2nd line for the Rangers...WHich shows how weak the Rangers are up front...Incomplete game....Guy should be on a 3rd line (non-checking line) or packaged in a trade for more optimum use

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:09 AM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
Gomer + Dawes = Cash money

TrampsLikeUs is offline   Reply With Quote