HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Radulov's return to Russia impact Zherdev?

Old
07-12-2008, 09:02 AM
X0ssbar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
There seems to be some conflicting reports. Slash got his figures from this article.

I expect the deal to be squashed otherwise it sends a very strong message that the KHL leadership cannot control its member teams.

As far a Z. Maybe NY will be the right fit for him. Kids all got the talent in the world but lacks the commitment. As a CBJ fan I'm very happy with the return.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:23 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
There seems to be some conflicting reports. Slash got his figures from this article.

I expect the deal to be squashed otherwise it sends a very strong message that the KHL leadership cannot control its member teams.

As far a Z. Maybe NY will be the right fit for him. Kids all got the talent in the world but lacks the commitment. As a CBJ fan I'm very happy with the return.
Broken link - can you repost the entire url?

As for your point on the KHL, I dunno - I could see it happening, but by the same token I've read mutlipel links on this forum where the principals involved say "hey it happened 2 days before the agreement was brokered." Sounded an awful lot like they intend to stay in Russia - and certainly it gives the KHL an excuse to not squash it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:40 AM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
I don't mean to restir the pot, but Radulov signed for 3 years 24 million. The equivalent of 12 million a year in the states.
i heard it was 3 years at 12 million i thought i need to find the article where i read that

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
sure, but that doesn't mean he can't still bolt to Russia.

the concern isn't Zherdev going to another NHL team, it's him following in Radulov's footsteps and bolting.
I think it should mean he can't bolt to russia...

if the nhl made this agreement without addressing players that are eligible for arbitration then what's the point of having the agreement in the first place?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think it should mean he can't bolt to russia...

if the nhl made this agreement without addressing players that are eligible for arbitration then what's the point of having the agreement in the first place?
To prevent players who - like Radulov - are actually under contract in one country from blowing off that contract to go sign a new contract in a different country.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I suspect Brighton will be able to fill Zherdev's cultural needs as it does for most Russian players, so as long as the Rangers pony up the cash, I think he'll stay here. The team's financial status and ability to attract other good players should help, too. This is all assuming that he works out to begin with.

But yeah, I expect him to stay here.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn and have lived here my entire life but my parents are both immigrants from Soviet Ukraine. Many of my friends and relatives live on Brighton Beach, and while I myself am VERY Americanized, I am also very familiar with Russian culture.

If they come to play in North America, Russian players all want to play and live in NYC. I've met quite a few, simply by chance, on Brighton, and they all say the same thing.

If they play in the NHL they usually prefer to play in a city with a large Russian population, and if not that, then a cosmopolitan city or one with a European flavor (such as Montreal). They're not exactly interested in playing in Columbus or Nashville. The Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Panthers, Leafs and Habs are basically the teams that Russian guys want to play for most.

Maybe as guys get older and mature more, and get acclimated to North American life, as well as North Americans, they change their tune (Sergei Zubov, who almost bolted when the Pens traded him to the Stars). Playing for a good team also helps. Just look at Gonchar in Pittsburgh.

I think nationalism, specifically the renewed effort by the Russian government to develop nationalism, is having an effect, too. That;s why you might see more and more young guys do this as opposed to just old guys who can't get good deals in the NHL anymore.

Hopefully Zherdev doesn't apply.
Maybe you and Nikolai can become drinking buddies?

Broadway Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Sometimes the more things to do isn't exactly in that person's best interest.
But it's not like NYC has ever ruined a hockey player before.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
To prevent players who - like Radulov - are actually under contract in one country from blowing off that contract to go sign a new contract in a different country.
no kidding...

the fact is the rangers would have zherdev under contract the day of his arbitration hearing..if the league allows a gap inbetween the day a team uses its right to take the player to arbitration and the day of the hearing then that's just dumb..

the european leagues want this agreement to protect there rights over there young players the nhl should have the same goal...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
Youre trying to tell me he blew his first line when he was a Ranger?

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Blueblood 2

Considering that Bettman and the NHL just rejected Toronto's contract offer to a 28 year old (Frogren) because it was not "entry level", we should all be more concerned about signing any prospect that the Russian league wants. This is where the huge difference in salary exists and where NHL teams cannot compete, by rule. Cherepanov for instance will compare 3 years at about $850,000 a year with what? Six million tax free? How many years would it take to recoup that loss up front in a career? If this is a business and a job, there isn't a financial advisor alive who would recommend he come over here until Bettman and his Cap are gone. The CBA is like all other things NHL style. It never considered any other hockey league as competition.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Oh please. Theo was a head case before he even suited up for a single game in NY.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:

Please, you don't become an alcoholic and drug addict just by coming to NYC.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
There is no argument with what you are saying. The more apropos argument is that, there is a different in playing for the two organizations in questions. And, this is not meant as a slight to CBJ fans. But, if the poll last year about "which organizations would most NHL players want to play for the most" is correct, players in general would prefer to play for the Rangers. And, I'm sure there are various reasons for that. So, while we don't know if the pull of going home to Russia is stronger than playing for the Rangers, (and frankly, I don't believe Zherdev could answer that right now, since he has yet to play a game as a Ranger). It would be fair to say that it would be less of factor than it would if he was still in Columbus.
Sorry, but this is apples and oranges--the poster I was responding was not talking about the differences in the way the organizations in question treat their players.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Let's not forget that a week before Theo Fleury checked into rehab, he was leading the league in points, if I remember correctly. Pretty sure the Rangers were near the top of the standings at the time, too. I know Fleury ****ed us in the end because of his problems, but he was pretty damn good when he was here.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 03:16 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Of course I'm not blaming NYC for starting Theo's problems. I mean, you can't really blame a city anyway. But the city definitely enabled him to rev up his lifestyle and hasten the inevitable.

Theo himself said "NY was not a good place for Theo Fleury, I tried to take a bite of the big apple, & it bit me back". For some people, the big-city is too much, and for people with rockstar personalities, a glamorous city like NYC can be a distraction.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Yeah, you're right about that.

I don't know, it's funny. I used to hate Fleury when he was in Calgary, and didn't want the Rangers to get him, but I grew to like him a lot. Thanks to Fleury and York, I actually stopped hating Lindros for a few months.

Besides, I loved Fleury's attitude when playing the Pisles.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote