HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Reason Why Sundin Won't sign in Toronto or Montreal.

Old
07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
MonacoBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBenz View Post
Honestly if sundin signs WE ARE A CONTENDER!!!

Honestly habs fans need to get their head cleaned up, Sundin has played against the habs in the same division for 15 YEARS!!! He won't betray the leafs.

Habs fan ur pretty far from being a *contender*, Carey price?? hah he screwed up bad in playoffs.

I never said vancouver was a contender.....however if he signs we will be one.

We have the best checking line, the best goalie, a great tough line, and once sundin signs a good top 6.
Think about it: You think you have the best goalie in the league? Where did Marty Brodeur go?

Best checking line? Try again. How about: Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer.

As for taking a jab at Carey Price, I didn't realize Luongo had made it any further in the playoffs. At least Price is still young and can improve. What does that make Luongo . Besides, he wasn't even that bad other his gifts to Umberger but he'll get better.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Reverend Salty

Quote:

Honestly habs fans need to get their head cleaned up, Sundin has played against the habs in the same division for 15 YEARS!!! He won't betray the leafs.

Habs fan ur pretty far from being a *contender*, Carey price?? hah he screwed up bad in playoffs.

We have the best checking line, the best goalie, a great tough line, and once sundin signs a good top 6.
Hmmmm... sorry bud, but Vancouver WOULD have been a contender if Naslund and Morrison had stayed and you had signed both Sundin and Demitra. As it is, you have about the same skills as the Leafs. You're goaltending is highly touted, but seriously, Luongo hasn't done anything special since his career started. He's good, I agree, but at this point, I have to say he is highly overrated.

Sundin will not be your saving grace and in no way is he worth $10 million a year.... not even in his prime. And I'm a huge Sundin and Leafs fan. If he goes to Vancouver, it is simply because of the money and nothing else. Montreal is a better fit.

Reverend Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:40 AM
canuckfromtoronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post

I will bet anyone here $50 that he signs with Detroit for a big discount. Money obviously isn't totally important to him, or else he would have taken Vancouver's offer to make him the highest-paid player in the NHL. I think it is quite that it is a contending team he is looking for.

Do you want to bet by PayPal or how would you like to do it?

Edit: also in US or Canadian dollars

Last edited by canuckfromtoronto: 07-11-2008 at 09:46 AM.
canuckfromtoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

You should be laying down when you are dreaming. Honestly.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
chris11inter

vCash: 434
Makes me laugh how anyone can say with Demitra, the Sedins, & Sundin (All very possible Career PPG players) that the Canucks Top 6 is not better then the Habs?

Also Habs keep in mind you did play the leafs 8 time, and you have a WEAK confrence..

So really no need to chirp about how great you are in a weak confrence & weaker division.

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
You should be laying down when you are dreaming. Honestly.
It's just really funny. How many teams sign 1/3 of their top 6 and win a Stanley Cup the next season? I want an example of this!

Old
07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Reverend Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
It's just really funny. How many teams sign 1/3 of their top 6 and win a Stanley Cup the next season? I want an example of this!
Rangers and possibly Colorado.

Reverend Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
Makes me laugh how anyone can say with Demitra, the Sedins, & Sundin (All very possible Career PPG players) that the Canucks Top 6 is not better then the Habs?

Also Habs keep in mind you did play the leafs 8 time, and you have a WEAK confrence..

So really no need to chirp about how great you are in a weak confrence & weaker division.
Just keep on digging that hole....

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:07 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

Other then Sundin,

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:

And Vancouver went to the series ??? I guess not

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Salty View Post
Rangers and possibly Colorado.
Messier and Graves were Rangers as early as 91-92. Tikannen came in 92-93. Kovalev, Leetch and Zubov were drafted by the Rangers. The only guy signed in 93-94 was Steve Larmer.

As for Colorado, in 2001, their top 6 was Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury and Reinprecht, all either drafted by, developed or traded to the Avalanche. In 1996, their top 6 was Sakic, Forsberg, Kamensky, Lemieux, Young and Deadmarsh. Of these, none were signed as FAs.

Try again.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:22 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:

Newsflash: It's easier to be a PPG player when you don't play a full season each year...

Also, Tanguay is closer to a career PPG player than Daniel Sedin, who has only 380 pts in 560 games. Career PPG player? If so, then Tanguay, Koivu and Kovalev and Andrei Kostitsyn are all PPG players.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Judge Sauer*

This is just a stupid debate that's going downhill fast.
Might as well put in the obligatory "In Before Lock"
The arguements used by the OP were pretty much some sort of attempt to convince himself of Sundin to the Canucks instead of anywhere else. Evident by his laughter at other teams.
The thread quickly went from Habs Vs Canucks to East Vs West.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:24 AM
con310*

Quote:
Think about it: You think you have the best goalie in the league? Where did Marty Brodeur go?

As for taking a jab at Carey Price, I didn't realize Luongo had made it any further in the playoffs. At least Price is still young and can improve. What does that make Luongo . Besides, he wasn't even that bad other his gifts to Umberger but he'll get better.
Uhhh have you watched hockey? Luongo didnt have the best year this year but he is still the best goalie in the NHL...and blows carey price away anyday...

not saying price aint good. Oh and Price sucked in the playoffs period.

con310* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:32 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by con310 View Post
Uhhh have you watched hockey? Luongo didnt have the best year this year but he is still the best goalie in the NHL...and blows carey price away anyday...

So you're saying that Luongo is better than a 4-time Vezina winner who just one last season? A 3-time Cup winner? A Calder trophy winner and 3-time First Allstar? I respect the history and tradition of the NHL; Luongo is just the new younger guy that people like to cheer for but he has accomplished NOTHING close to what Brodeur has done. Please tell me how Luongo is a better goalie than Brodeur? How is better? Please tell me when Luongo has performed better than Brodeur did with Mottau, Visnevski, Brookbank and Rachunek as regular defensemen? DO YOU NOT WATCH HOCKEY? Come on.

As for Price in the playoffs, he was playing with a broken glove hand. He wasn't as bad as it looked.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
hagg18

I don't think Sundin will play for either Vancouver or Montreal. Vancouver will probably suck big time next season. IMO there team is just as bad as Toronto. Second of all Sundin don't want the travels that Vancouver will be doing. As for Montreal he don't want to play for a team in the same division. If he wanted to play for them he would have signed with them before July 1. That leaves the rest of the teams in the eastern conference. Rangers would have been an option but they've spent their money, Detroit would have been an option if they would have played in the eastern and if they hadn't signed Hossa. I would say that Sundin is half honest when he's saying that he haven't discided if he want's to play or not. I think he might as well say that he haven't descided if he want's to return to Toronto again. I believe that it's either that or retire. If Fletcher is able to make a big trade involving one of Kubina or McCabe nad mabye some other player and get an upcoming star or a player that's already quite good, Sundin will be signing soon. I'm pretty sure that's the descision he'll be making in the end anyway, to return to Toronto. He's heart is a big maple leaf and that's it!!

I find a Swedish articel that said just what I've written here before. Didn't know that there already was one out. The journalist is Gunnar Nordstrom and I believe that he was on the radio at Fan 590 in Toronto with Howard Berger. Berger wanted his opinion on what will happen with Sundin. Did anyone listen to the show?

http://blogg.expressen.se/nhl/entry.jsp?messid=394013

Last edited by hagg18: 07-11-2008 at 10:54 AM.
hagg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:41 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:

Funny how the quality of posts always seem to dip more in the summer when the kids are off from school....Coincidence?

Old
07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Sundin was drafted and played for the Nordiques and his favorite player was Mats Naslund (Incase you weren't born at that time, he was a Hab). There have been Leaf players previously that played for the Habs, so it won't be a great reach for Sundin to do the same. I don't think Sundin owes the Leafs anything at this point, so Betrayal is a mute point.
Mats Naslund also played 33 games for... THE BRUINS! OMG!

I find it funny how when a Leaf goes to the Habs its betrayal, but when a Hab goes to the Leafs (Muller, Schneider, etc.) its just a good pick up.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:51 AM
con310*

Quote:
So you're saying that Luongo is better than a 4-time Vezina winner who just one last season? A 3-time Cup winner? A Calder trophy winner and 3-time First Allstar? I respect the history and tradition of the NHL; Luongo is just the new younger guy that people like to cheer for but he has accomplished NOTHING close to what Brodeur has done. Please tell me how Luongo is a better goalie than Brodeur? How is better? Please tell me when Luongo has performed better than Brodeur did with Mottau, Visnevski, Brookbank and Rachunek as regular defensemen? DO YOU NOT WATCH HOCKEY? Come on.

As for Price in the playoffs, he was playing with a broken glove hand. He wasn't as bad as it looked.
Ok...yes Broduer is an amazing goalie but ill say it again...do you even watch hockey? just becasue hes the arguably one of the best of all time, doesnt mean hes gonna continue to be better then every other goalie in the league.

Ive never said luongo has or wil ever come close to borduers career but AHAHAHA at still thinking he is what he used to be...

as for price...weell yer a habs fan you'll cry and gice exususes all day...he sucked period.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
con310*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Funny how the quality of posts always seem to dip more in the summer when the kids are off from school....Coincidence?
Did I hurt your feeling?

Old
07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
chris11inter

Quote:
Newsflash: It's easier to be a PPG player when you don't play a full season each year...

Also, Tanguay is closer to a career PPG player than Daniel Sedin, who has only 380 pts in 560 games. Career PPG player? If so, then Tanguay, Koivu and Kovalev and Andrei Kostitsyn are all PPG players.
I agree with you that Habs are a better Hockey team right now.. But with Sundin in the lineup I would bet you it's a lot closer than you think.

One team plays in probably the hardest division in the NHL
One team plays in one of the weakest.

I would say its a lot easier for Kostitsyn to be produce a PPG rather than Sedins.

Old
07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
as for price...weell yer a habs fan you'll cry and gice exususes all day...he sucked period.
Let me remind you that in comparing Price's career to Luongo's, Price has one less loss in the playoffs and just as many wins as Roberto Luongo.

He may be a good goalie, but winning really isn't on his resume

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
chris11inter

Quote:

a) Luongo played for Florida and faced more shots than any other goalie in the NHL .. So don't give me this terriable Devils defence debate.

B) There is no doubt Broudeur is still one of the best. His track record speaks for itself. HOWEVER you can not continually live on track record. What has Sidney Crosby ever done? I would still say he is one of the best players in the NHL.

c) Another example of where peoples past still live in the present. Watch the Oilers & Gretzky are going to take over this year.

Old
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Caseman

He's gonna sign with Dallas for the league minimum.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Did I hurt your feeling?
Yes i only have one "feeling"...and you hurt it. Tell your mom to take you out to the park or something, its a nice day outside.