HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Kostitsyn is Prime

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2008, 09:38 PM
  #51
24morecupsthanyou*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
if he gets 0.7 ppg i'll be pleased! he really is the full package, and at his age? man, he could be like our mini-zetterberg!!! ^_^

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:08 PM
  #52
cottoneye
 
cottoneye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Who the hell are you?! Weren't you the one who said last year that Higgins was gonna be a 40-40-80 player? Man how were you right!

People should be more realistic in their expectations.

S. Kostitsyn will get about 45 points, which is very good for a 21 years old. I said he was this year's Higgins because he seems to be very popular here and everybody is like "OMGZZZ!!!!!!111 HE'S SO GREATTTTT!!!!!11 I WOULD ****ING TURN GAY JUST FOR HIM!!!!111"... just like last year with Higgins. And in one year, everybody will say that he's a bust, and that he didn't live up to the expectations... Stop being bipolar and think with your head for god sake!
I agree with you even though I'm one of those fans who lurrrrrrrrrrrrrves him. I think people's expectations are way too high and if Sergei doesn't live up to the hype, many will be trading him + a 2nd for the newest sensation next year. I hope we're wrong and he ends up with 70 pts, but I'll be happy with anything higher than 40. Hell, if he plays with the same energy and spark as he did this year, I'll be happy no matter how many points he has. There's more to the game than just goals and assists IMO anyway.

cottoneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:55 AM
  #53
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
S. Kostitsyn is this summer's Chris Higgins. Everybody is seeing him so huge... but he is not THAT great.

I call 40-50pts for next season. Any more than 50pts is a bonus.


You are wrong, because unlike Christopher Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn has already more offensive skills than Higgins will ever dream of. He also plays with an edge and never backup to nobody.... Unlike like Higgins who tends to float around once every 2 games doing nothing at all. The kid got talent oozing all over his body, it's almost scary !!

Don't you even dare comparing Christopher "Stone Hands" Higgins to Sergei Kostitsyn, because he is not even in the same league as the young prodigy.

Yes, they had the same hype, but Sergei will prove that he deserves all this hype, unlike the other guy...



P.S: Nobody has stated that Sergei will put 40-40=80 points next season... unlike Higgins !!




Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 02:57 AM
  #54
Michael Scott*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scranton
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
You are wrong, because unlike Christopher Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn has already more offensive skills than Higgins will ever dream of. He also plays with an edge and never backup to nobody.... Unlike like Higgins who tends to float around once every 2 games doing nothing at all. The kid got talent oozing all over his body, it's almost scary !!

Don't you even dare comparing Christopher "Stone Hands" Higgins to Sergei Kostitsyn, because he is not even in the same league as the young prodigy.

Yes, they had the same hype, but Sergei will prove that he deserves all this hype, unlike the other guy...



P.S: Nobody has stated that Sergei will put 40-40-80 points next season... unlike Higgins !!



i agree 100%

Higgins is over-rated... SK is so underrated on these boards, and i feel he is also better than his brother.

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:51 AM
  #55
TheAntiprice*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
wow...27 goals, 50+ points...our best defensive forward playing top minutes against the opposition teams best players night in and night out and usually doing an excellent job at shutting them down...all while making less than 2 mill a year...he's overrated and a 20 year kid who is still a prospect, who hasn't scored 10 goals in his career is underrated? You guys really are too much...

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:45 AM
  #56
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Who the hell are you?! Weren't you the one who said last year that Higgins was gonna be a 40-40-80 player?
LIE #1

Quote:
Man how were you right!
Unwarranted sarcasm, as base on previous lie.

Quote:
People should be more realistic in their expectations.
Yet you totally discount my argument about Plekanec.

Quote:
S. Kostitsyn will get about 45 points, which is very good for a 21 years old. I said he was this year's Higgins because he seems to be very popular here and everybody is like "OMGZZZ!!!!!!111 HE'S SO GREATTTTT!!!!!11 I WOULD ****ING TURN GAY JUST FOR HIM!!!!111"... just like last year with Higgins.
Just like Plekanec also, but those who did those predictions were right, like I was.

Quote:
And in one year, everybody will say that he's a bust, and that he didn't live up to the expectations... Stop being bipolar and think with your head for god sake!
LIE #2 based also on #1, I NEVER SAID HE WAS A BUST, I've ALWAYS been a great supporter of Higgins.

I'm thinking much more with my head then you do, thank you. And don't call me bipolar, I remain very steady in my perceptions, and I haven't gutted Higgins once, I am and will always be a great fan of his. It's funny how you come around and say to use my head, when your only line of defense is inventing things that I have said like the predictions to Higgins and that I said that he was a bust because both are blatant lies made up by you because you have no other grounds to defend your very poor arguments on the matter. I'm like the last person here who will b*tch on players... although i can recall you doing just that with Koivu....

Where the hell did you get that prediction for Higgins... Please find a quote before you say such BS... I might've said that he could maybe reach 70 in the right circumstances, but it wasn't my prediction, it wasn't my expectation. But I know others who made this prediction/expectation (40-30 for 70) and it wasn't far of (17 points less playing on the same line as the greatly underachieving Ryder). My own assesment of Higgins was around 60 points, and he was 7 points shy of that. So go back to your narrow and simplistic views and stop making stuff up because you got your arse handed to you.

What I did make as a real prediction and expectation was PLEKANEC at 70 points and people just like you came and said the same things that you just said. Yet Plekanec did reach 69 points, ONE POINT SHY of expectations. But this you've yet again fail to mention because it completely destroys your assertion that people are unrealistic. You should make the difference between your simplistic pessimism and warranted optimism. The only way you can make an argument and try to prove me wrong is to invent stuff and lump me with people who've said things I haven't said. And you're thinking with your head right? I have a hard time believing that.

Again, I have to repeat this next argument because like the one about Plekanec, you totally brushed it off. Kostitsyn had 27 points in 52 games last season, playing 2nd and 3rd line minutes in his rookie season with very few PP minutes. If we were to extrapolate this to 82 games, this means, without PROGRESSION and without playing more minutes, he would get 43 points (which is already right next to your expectation). Don't you think (I'm making a longshot here about your faculties to think) that if he gets more minutes, plays more on the PP, and shows progression, and especially if he plays with a guy like Sundin, there are good possibilities he'll be close to 60-70 points? It is a realistic prediction and expectation and most people won'T hold liable if he doesn't reach it because if he doesn't, it probably means he will have played the same type of minutes as last year and will certainly be close to 50 points.

Grow-up.

For someone who tells others to think with their head, you rather don't seem to do so yourself, lumping people who said he was a bust with the same people who said those expectations, without any proof at hand and then stating they are bipolar, yet all of this is based on generalizations, go get your head check little man.

The poeple who said he was a bust are far probably not those who made those predictions, they are rather the people who were against those predictions and were never fans of Higgins.


Last edited by Ozymandias: 07-12-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 09:55 AM
  #57
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
wow...27 goals, 50+ points...our best defensive forward playing top minutes against the opposition teams best players night in and night out and usually doing an excellent job at shutting them down...all while making less than 2 mill a year...he's overrated and a 20 year kid who is still a prospect, who hasn't scored 10 goals in his career is underrated? You guys really are too much...
Yeah exactly... 3 straight 20 plus goal seasons to start off his career while being an excellent penalty killer and defensive player, very overrated

Every single Sergei Kostitsyn thread ends up in some sort of bashing Higgins thread, when Higgins scores 35 goals this year hopefully that will shut up people bashing his "stone hands".

The only thing he lacks is consistency and when he improves it he will continue to put more and more goals up.

I love Sergei but Higgins is one of the guys who has to kill all these stupid penalties Sergei takes in the offensive zone, i'll be happy with 45-50 points this year from him.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:42 AM
  #58
HabzFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Pavel Datsyuk

2001-02 Detroit NHL 70 11 24 35 +4 4 79 13.92

2002-03 Detroit NHL 64 12 39 51 +20 16 82 14.63

2003-04 Detroit NHL 75 30 38 68 -2 35 136 22.06

2005-06 Detroit NHL 75 28 59 87 +26 22 145 19.31

Sergei Kostitsyn

2007-08 52 9 18 27 +9 51 49 18.37

50 - 55 pts sounds about right

HabzFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 10:54 AM
  #59
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,439
vCash: 500
I'm just so damn happy to have the Kost Bros, they will be a treat to watch for years to come in Habs jerseys (unless the KHL goes insane with them, which is sorrily a probability...). SK is rapidly developing into a top line player, he's a very well rounded winger, who plays physical, and IMO should just learn to shoot a bit more often... I don't think he will get to 70 points like some of you think, but it won't be because of a lack of skill, just because of our depth.

Someone said he might be a 3rd liner this season, and that makes me smile, cause that may very well be his position on the RW chart, but it's by no means disrespectful, cause while a 3rd line is a checking line on most teams, here it's a 3rd offensive line, which is absolutely great !

I just want to add something to the Higgins debacle that yet again stirs the pot on another thread... look at his numbers, and look at Jere Lehtinen numbers over the course of his career... the way Higgins plays is very similar, in that he's a great 2-way forward in the becoming. IMO he won't ever score 70 points, but he might be a consistent 50-60 pts winger who plays a responsible defensive game and PK very well.

I wouldn't call that bad... or is it ?

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
  #60
Le Slow Poke*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
I'm just so damn happy to have the Kost Bros, they will be a treat to watch for years to come in Habs jerseys (unless the KHL goes insane with them, which is sorrily a probability...). SK is rapidly developing into a top line player, he's a very well rounded winger, who plays physical, and IMO should just learn to shoot a bit more often... I don't think he will get to 70 points like some of you think, but it won't be because of a lack of skill, just because of our depth.

Someone said he might be a 3rd liner this season, and that makes me smile, cause that may very well be his position on the RW chart, but it's by no means disrespectful, cause while a 3rd line is a checking line on most teams, here it's a 3rd offensive line, which is absolutely great !

I just want to add something to the Higgins debacle that yet again stirs the pot on another thread... look at his numbers, and look at Jere Lehtinen numbers over the course of his career... the way Higgins plays is very similar, in that he's a great 2-way forward in the becoming. IMO he won't ever score 70 points, but he might be a consistent 50-60 pts winger who plays a responsible defensive game and PK very well.

I wouldn't call that bad... or is it ?
Higgins is just fine but I was hoping for a "muller" typ of player but you never know.

Le Slow Poke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:06 AM
  #61
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,342
vCash: 612
How can someone say he's just playing for money when game in and game out he's giving 110%? He fought, what, two times last year? Once against Redden, a much bigger player. He's clearly shown he wants to win, just like he did when he played in London.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:25 AM
  #62
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
How can someone say he's just playing for money when game in and game out he's giving 110%? He fought, what, two times last year? Once against Redden, a much bigger player. He's clearly shown he wants to win, just like he did when he played in London.

I know eh...Sergei is definately one of the last people I'd ever say is playing for his paycheck. Although I have no doubt he'll earn every penny of every contract he signs from now until his retirement (weird thought, 20 years from now...Kostitsyns...retired) haha okay Joey no more drinks tonight

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 01:49 AM
  #63
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFan4Ever View Post
Pavel Datsyuk

2001-02 Detroit NHL 70 11 24 35 +4 4 79 13.92

2002-03 Detroit NHL 64 12 39 51 +20 16 82 14.63

2003-04 Detroit NHL 75 30 38 68 -2 35 136 22.06

2005-06 Detroit NHL 75 28 59 87 +26 22 145 19.31

Sergei Kostitsyn

2007-08 52 9 18 27 +9 51 49 18.37

50 - 55 pts sounds about right
Yeah, because comparing two completely different human beings in different surroundings and at different times is concrete evidence.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
  #64
24morecupsthanyou*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
just happy that he isn't a ***** like the sedins, imagine if we had those pansies.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:07 AM
  #65
HabzFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Yeah, because comparing two completely different human beings in different surroundings and at different times is concrete evidence.
Hence the .... the tag is read "dunno" for a reason. Anyway, I guess I should apologize for not realizing that comparing players is not appropriate on HF.

HabzFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:21 AM
  #66
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Countering with innuendo about SKost will really make a point

HamrlikTheStud, try using your head next time and counter with something constructive. If you actually read my reply, you would fully understand that I am not "hoping" for Sergei to hit 60-70 points but that I think that under the right circumstances, it is a realistic possibility.
and the only perfect circumstance is that one of A.Kost, Kovalev, Tanguay or Higgins get injured for a very long time, that's the problem right now, we have so much depth on offensive talent that i think we will have 5 or 6 player in the 60 point with 1 or 2, maybe having a 70 point+ year, and i'm not sure one of them will be S.Kost

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:31 AM
  #67
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFan4Ever View Post
Hence the .... the tag is read "dunno" for a reason. Anyway, I guess I should apologize for not realizing that comparing players is not appropriate on HF.
Well, it can be appropriate if you indicate that you compare styles of play, not the actual production or skill level... confusing, but comparisons are a dangerous sport here, as alot don't understand the essence of comparisons...

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:54 AM
  #68
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
This is crazy. Some folks from both sides are taking this way too seriously.

I'm not going to fly to Vegas and bet Sergei scores 70 points. It would be a big step.

On the other hand if carbo puts him on one of the top two lines with increased PP time like he did last year, it would not be surprising to see him get 50 to 70 pts. If he plays top 2 lines and does not score at least 50 pts then our production will be down in any case.

Look at it this way: He got 9 goals and 18 assists and +9 in 52 games. Plus 3 goals and 5 assists and +5 in 12 playoff games. Extrapolate that production to a full season and you have 15 goals and 29 assists for 44 points and a plus 18. So if you think he only gets 45 points that is low in my opinion because it does not allow for the fact that his responsibilities increased as the year went on (more TOI and special teams) and also ignores improvement.

If he does not play on one of the top two lines it is not going to happen. Assists and not goals are going to be the determining factor with his point success.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:55 AM
  #69
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
You are wrong, because unlike Christopher Higgins, Sergei Kostitsyn has already more offensive skills than Higgins will ever dream of. He also plays with an edge and never backup to nobody.... Unlike like Higgins who tends to float around once every 2 games doing nothing at all. The kid got talent oozing all over his body, it's almost scary !!

Don't you even dare comparing Christopher "Stone Hands" Higgins to Sergei Kostitsyn, because he is not even in the same league as the young prodigy.

Yes, they had the same hype, but Sergei will prove that he deserves all this hype, unlike the other guy...



P.S: Nobody has stated that Sergei will put 40-40=80 points next season... unlike Higgins !!



Stone Hands? not at all, Higgins has great hands, but cannot dangle.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
  #70
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
I also agree that the comments on SK's motivation are crap. Every player is playing for a living. And quite a few aspire to big contracts as the UFA frenzy has shown. But, I've seen enough of SK to know that he is an ambitious player who plays with more than a paycheque mentality. If somebody says differently I would like to know what and when it is based on?


Last edited by Kristia: 07-13-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:49 AM
  #71
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Stone Hands? not at all, Higgins has great hands, but cannot dangle.
actually i think he has great moves to deke people (see his goal in the Flyers series) but his problem is his shot. He misses a ton of easy chances. He seems to get down on himself a lot and his inconsistency could be related to a lack of confidence.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 09:57 AM
  #72
Bermy
Registered User
 
Bermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
I could see him get 45-50 points. He's really good and has potential, but I don't see him getting 70 points next season. I could be wrong though

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 10:40 AM
  #73
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
actually i think he has great moves to deke people (see his goal in the Flyers series) but his problem is his shot. He misses a ton of easy chances. He seems to get down on himself a lot and his inconsistency could be related to a lack of confidence.

Just to tie things together Higgins set up Sergei with a tap in as a result of a pinpoint pass to the corner of the crease. It is in that Kosty bros highlite pack somebody posted.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 11:04 AM
  #74
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Just to tie things together Higgins set up Sergei with a tap in as a result of a pinpoint pass to the corner of the crease. It is in that Kosty bros highlite pack somebody posted.
I'm not sure of what the debate is. The kid does a lot of things well and does them with a flourish. I like to be a bit conservative in expectations because I've seen that sometimes we fall in love with how a guy gets his results rather than how often.

I saw Kostitsyn wire his penalty shot, make creative passes, act feisty [thougfh he can give up the flopping imo, but he's young]. Great, he can do all the things you need.

Now he has to show the capacity to do them often. He will be evaluated by his totals as he develops and I'm sure that we'll piss and moan at times as he's beside Lapierre and Laraque for a game or 2 as he goes thru his ups and downs.

I want to see him drive the net a bit, make himself dangerous coming from the outside. That'll make his passing off the wing dangerous. So, we'll see if he's content to make nice plays or be a winner. There's no reason to think he won't take the next step, he hasn't shown any negatives yet.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:24 AM
  #75
newsylalonde100
 
newsylalonde100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
I expect him to reach 50 but in no shape or form will he reach it "easily"

It's not easy to score 50 points, he wouldn't have done it last season (based on 82 game average)...i mean...Kovalev couldn't crack 50 just a year ago...

hahaha bud if he was on pace for 42 this year..he'll get 50 "easily" come on the kids got talent and he'll porbably be on a good line...maybe even play the point on PP...like he did a few times this year...without streit there

newsylalonde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.